RAIN: 1.02 Blank Canvas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAIN: 1.02 Blank Canvas

This is a BtVS Spin-off that takes off a year and half after BtVS Season Seven when Willow uses the scythe to activate the potential slayers all over the world.

RAIN

Episode: 1.02 Blank Canvas

Created by: Beth (Obsessed)
    Written by: Beth & Odelia (Obsessed & SaltyGoodness)

~ ~ ~

TEASER:

EXT. RAIN'S APARTMENT - MORNING

The camera pans up to RAIN'S bedroom opened window where we can hear
    Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cindy Lauper blaring from a radio on her desk.

CUT TO-
    INT. RAIN’S BEDROOM - MORNING

RAIN is painting a wall a light blue grey color with a roller while BELLA is painting the door trim with a brush. We can see they are almost done with the room. The floor is covered with a drop cloth and the bed is stripped bare. A step ladder covered in paint rest against the closer door. On the window still, there are two glasses of cold iced tea filled to the rim, waiting to be sipped.

Dancing, BELLA uses a brush as a microphone lip synching to the song to amuse RAIN. However, RAIN still holding the roller just stares at her and continues painting, hiding her smile.

BELLA: (happily) Rain, sing with me! (Sings) “Oh Girls, just wanna have fun…”

Gesturing, BELLA tries to get RAIN to join her. Wearing a plain white t-shirt, old jeans, a pony tail and bare feet, RAIN gives her a look.

RAIN: (trying to be serious) We’re almost done, (points with her roller) so you better get back to work.

BELLA: (smirks) And if I don’t?

With her hand on her hip, BELLA holds the brush with the other hand, knowing she’s asking for trouble.

RAIN: (gives an evil smile) I’ll do this!

RAIN picks up a brush and dips it in the paint tray she near her. She smiles holding the brush, staring at BELLA.

BELLA: (eyes widen; backing up) What do you think you’re doing with that?

RAIN: (tilts her head) Oh, just some painting.

Slinging her brush, paint flies off the end of it, splattering all over BELLA’S fraternity t-shirt and jean shorts. A little bit of paint lands on her face and hair.

BELLA: (gasps; looks at herself) Oooh, you did not just do that!

RAIN: (smiles; smugly) Yep.

BELLA glares at RAIN with a vengeance. After she thrusts her brush into the tray, she gets into battle position. With her brush, she splatters RAIN who tries to protect her face. The GIRLS simultaneously submerge their brushes back into their trays, getting ready for all-out paint war.

Within a few minutes, the girls are covered in paint resembling a Jackson Pollock painting. Slowly, they look at each other and burst out laughing. Yet their moment is short lived when they see MICHAEL with a long face in the doorway. Promptly RAIN turns off the radio.

MICHAEL: (to RAIN) Allie let me in. (Sees RAIN waits for him to continue) Sorry to break up the party but I need to talk to you.

BELLA: (puts down her brush) I should go… clean up in the bathroom.

RAIN: (to BELLA) No, it’s okay, stay. (Looks at MICHAEL) What’s wrong? Was the music too loud?

MICHAEL: (shakes his head) No, it’s not that. There is an officer that needs to talk to you. (Beat) He’s out in the hallway, waiting for you.

RAIN’S face is blank.

MICHAEL: I’ll tell him you need a few minutes to clean up, okay?

RAIN doesn’t reply. Feeling words of comfort would not help her, MICHAEL just turns around and walks out of the apartment. Slightly, BELLA touches RAIN’S arm.

BELLA: (whispers) Do you think this is about your mom’s murder?

RAIN just looks out the window somberly. The camera pans to RAIN’S hand still holding the brush as the paint drips to the floor.

FADE TO BLACK

END OF TEASER

~ ~ ~

THEME PLAYS – Beautiful Freak by Eels
    OPENING CREDITS ROLL

:: STARRING ::

Rain Mason (Mila Kunis)
    Isabella ‘Bella’ Talmadge (Emily Van Camp)
    Michael Corbis (Michael Vartan)
    Madeline Blake (Bonnie Somerville)

Edited by: Beth (Obsessed) & Odelia (SaltyGoodness)

Disclaimer: The characters of AtS/BtVS belong to Joss Whedon,
    Mutant Enemy, Sandollar Television, Kuzui Entertainment, 20th Century Fox Television, the WB and UPN. Original characters that weren’t on these shows belong to Odelia & me. Please do not take them without permission.
    Last edited by Obsessed; 06-10-10, 02:00 AM.
    Banner by Digital Leonardo

ACT I

INT. HAVEN POLICE DEPT - INTERROGATION ROOM – MORNING

Wearing a red t-shirt with Chinese lettering, black jeans and boots, RAIN sits on a wobbly chair in front of a wooden table in a cold start room. Nervously she plays with the bracelet BELLA gave her and pulls her jacket closer to body as if she feels a cold draft.

The bare hospital green walls and chalky gray floor gives the interrogation room a haunting feel. A DETECTIVE in his early thirties with dark brown hair holding a couple of files as well as a note pad sits on the other side of the table. He extends his hand to shake RAIN’S hand but she doesn’t take it.

DETECTIVE: (clears throat) I'm Detective O’Malley. Did Officer Kelly tell you why you’re here?

RAIN: Uh, no, not really. (Beat) He just said I was needed at the station.

DETECTIVE: (opens one of the files) There are just a few things that I’d like to ask you pertaining to Jake Shepherd and Connie Mason.

Shifting in her seat, RAIN continues to play with her bracelet.

DETECTIVE: What can you tell me about the disturbance between Mr. Shepherd and yourself on the night of Thursday, November 4th?

RAIN: (looks up, arching her brow) Why is that important? (With a slight note of panic) It doesn’t have anything to do with my Mom’s death. I wasn’t--

DETECTIVE: --Jake Shepherd claims you attacked him; that you… beat him until he was unconscious.

RAIN: (defensively and reluctantly) He was drunk and… forced himself on me. I tried to stop him… then my Mom arrived just when I--

DETECTIVE: --When you what?

RAIN: (straightens up; worried) Look, Detective O’Malley… do you think I killed my mother? Is this why I’m here?

DETECTIVE: (in an assuring voice) I know you didn’t kill Connie Mason.

RAIN: (still wary) Then why the questions?

DETECTIVE: (maintaining a calm authority) We’re just tying up a few ends, Miss Mason. (Beat) It’s just protocol. It’s important to… make sure that we are as clear as possible as to what happened.

He looks at her thoughtfully. RAIN says nothing, uncertain he’s telling the truth.

DETECTIVE: Jake Shepherd’s file is really thick (he indicates one of the files). He’s an interesting guy. (Beat; he studies her carefully) There’ve been other situations such as yours… assault, sexual harassment and so forth. (Beat) We need to know if you want to press charges.

RAIN: (startled; uncomfortable) Press charges? That’s why I am here?

DETECTIVE: (nods) Mr. Shepherd has been formally charged with the murder of Connie Mason. There is a lot of evidence against him. (Beat; he misreads her expression) Look, you don’t have to worry about him coming after you. He’s going to be in prison for a long, long time, I guarantee it.

RAIN: (taken aback; uncomfortably) No, I-I don’t want to press charges.

DETECTIVE: Are you sure?

RAIN nods. Pulling out a pen from his shirt pocket, he writes something on a piece of paper and closes JAKE’S file. Then he opens another one.

DETECTIVE: There is something else. (Beat) I need you to look at these.

We see mug shots of her mother with different hairstyles, lined up on the table. RAIN leans forward to get a better look at them.

RAIN: I don’t understand… why are showing me these? My mother went to jail, big deal. (Shrugs and leans back in her chair) I’m not really surprised.

DETECTIVE: Look at the names.

Leaning in again, she looks at the images and begins to increasingly feel more unnerved. The DETECTIVE observes her reactions closely.

RAIN: (looking up) What’s going on? Why are the names different?

DETECTIVE: (satisfied she doesn’t know anything) When we investigated her background we came across these mug shots. They were taken in different states; all under different names. (Beat) Connie Mason wasn’t her real name. (pauses; carefully) Her real name is really Gloria DuBois.

RAIN: (shakes her head in disbelief) She was pretending to be someone else all this time?

DETECTIVE: (looking at file) Connie Mason was one of her aliases for eighteen years when she first moved to Haven. She grew up in Ohio, moved around a lot. She was wanted in several states for robbery and forgery. (Beat) Your brother… uh… (He looks briefly through the file again, searching for his name)

RAIN: (distressed) Keith. His name’s Keith but… (Comes to her own conclusion) that’s not his real name is it?

DETECTIVE: (shakes his head) His name is Tanner Dubois. (Beat) We’d like to get in touch with him. Do you know where he is?

RAIN: (thinking, upset) --w-wait! Slow down. Can you slow down for a second? (She holds up a hand to restrain him, shakes her head). I-I don’t understand any of this… they’re not real? My family…? (Beat; whispers) This is unbelievable... (Confused) I have no clue where my brother would be. (She looks down; softly) He left when I was ten. (Realizes something about herself; looks up; urgently) What about me? Am I... who am I?

DETECTIVE: (uncomfortably) We’re not sure.

RAIN: (wide-eyed) What do you mean, you’re not sure?

DETECTIVE: (refers to file again) We’ve confirmed that Ms. DuBois has a sister, a Carolyn DuBois in Seattle, Washington. We contacted Carolyn to inform her of sister’s demise yesterday.

RAIN: What did she say?

DETECTIVE: She wasn’t surprised, but she was sorry to hear about Gloria’s passing. She was aware of the lifestyle her sister was living. They hadn’t been on good terms for many years.

RAIN: I just assumed she didn’t have any relatives. (Beat) Did Carolyn ask about Keith… I mean, Tanner and me?

DETECTIVE: (reluctantly) Yes, but there is something else you need to know. (Beat) Carolyn claims you’re not Gloria DuBois’ daughter.

RAIN tilts her head in disbelief.

RAIN: What…? N-no… you can’t be serious.

DETECTIVE: (ducking his head slightly) I’m sorry, but I’m afraid I am. Carolyn shared that Gloria had a tuba ligation operation about four years after she had Tanner. The coroner confirmed it. (Beat) She said Gloria just called her one day and announced she’d had a baby girl whom she’d called “Rain”.

RAIN’S expression darkens. She seems to shut down.

DETECTIVE: (cont’d; breaking the silence) There are no adoption records concerning you either. There doesn’t appear to be any records pertaining to “Rain DuBois” or of a baby under any of the aliases she used before setting foot in Haven. (Beat) However, we did find a birth certificate with the name “Rain Mason”. It says you were born at Haven Memorial but there’s nothing else that corroborates this.

RAIN: (totally disorientated) I… I don’t believe this.

DETECTIVE: (cont'd) Uh… actually, Carolyn suspects Gloria kidnapped you and raised you as her own.

Looking away, RAIN’S eyes start to water and she remembers what GLORIA said to her that night.

GLORIA: (VO) You’re not my daughter!

RAIN: (whispers) She really meant it…

DETECTIVE: I’m sorry?

RAIN: (wipes her eyes; distantly) It’s nothing...

DETECTIVE: With your permission… uh, we’d like to investigate further.

RAIN just stares at the table, looking lost.

DETECTIVE: (cont'd) Uh, you’ve come of age… so, uh… (He nods at her lack of response) We’d like to help you with this. But it’s your choice.

RAIN: I… (Her voice trails off…) I can’t think…

DETECTIVE: It’s all right. Perhaps we can talk again soon. (Briskly) Your mother’s body will be released in a few days. Carolyn is taking care of the burial arrangements.

Ripping off a piece of paper off his notepad, he writes something down and hands it o her. Numbly, RAIN takes it.

DETECTIVE: (gestures) This is her number. She said you can call her any time. Maybe she can answer some of the questions you have. (Beat) We’ll try to find Tanner Dubois as well to see if he can answer some questions for us in regards to your… situation.

RAIN: (suddenly angry) You call this a “situation”? (She stands up; distressed) I don’t know who I am now… what my real name is… if Connie… I mean Gloria was even my mother. Everything I’ve ever known was… a lie.

DETECTIVE: (he stands up too; quietly) I apologize.

He gives a soft reassuring smile, but RAIN doesn’t look at him. The DETECTIVE gathers the mug shots and puts back in the file.

RAIN: (looking at him) Are we done?

He nods, walks around to the other side of the desk and gently guides her out of the interrogation room with the files and notepad under his arm. She then stops and turns to him.

RAIN: (numbly) Uh… can I go to the house to get my stuff?

DETECTIVE: Yes, of course. I’ll let the sergeant know. (Hands her a business card) Just give us call when you’re ready.

Totally out of it, she takes the card and moves toward the entrance of the building, folding her arms as she passes a few desks. She opens the entrance door, walks into sunlight. Alone, she leans against the brick wall of the building, short of breath and strangely numb. A car passes her, and Empty by The Cranberries waft through the November air from its open window, invading her soul.

Something has left my life,
    And I don't know where it went to, ah, ha, ha.
    Somebody caused me strife,
    And it's not what I was seeking.

A MOTHER is walking with her LITTLE GIRL, holding her hand. As they pass RAIN on the sidewalk, the doting MOTHER kisses her child. The LITTLE GIRL laughs and kisses her back.

Say a prayer for me,
    Help me to feel the strength, I did.
    My identity, has it been taken?
    Is my heart breakin' on me?

Watching them, RAIN fights her tears. Her expression hardens as she folds her arms and strides away.

CUT TO-
    INT. BELLA’S BEDROOM – NOON

RAIN and BELLA are sitting cross legged on her bed opposite each other. There are two cans of soda on the nightstand along with an opened bag of chips. Petting BELLA’S cat, RAIN listens to the CD player on the desk. We hear Kick You When You’re Down by Machine Head play very low.

BELLA: …are you serious? (RAIN gazes at her.) No, course you are. I mean… wow.

RAIN: Yeah.

BELLA: This is so like one of those soap operas my mother watches! (Thinking) Like on “Stone Acres” there’s this guy -- Lance and he’s just found out that the woman he’s in love with is really his half-sister! (Getting carried away) And then she’s like this police officer who’s actually in love with this criminal. I mean, can you imagine! Uh -- (seeing RAIN’S look) … sorry… I didn’t mean…

RAIN: (sighs; shakes her head gently) Nah, it’s ok, Bella. It does feel like I’m in a “soap opera” starring me… and someone is writing my life like a script, doing whatever they want… (Her voice trails off)

From the nightstand, BELLA picks up the bag of chips and pops a chip in her mouth.

RAIN: (sighs; with irony) You know what? It’s perfect actually -- I was always the “freak” at school, so I might as well have the matchy-freaky life to go with it. (Bitterly) I can’t wait to accessorize.

BELLA: (concerned) Come on Rain. Don’t be like that.

Putting the chips back on the nightstand, BELLA turns to RAIN and sees she is upset. The rain starts outside; the sound of the drops hitting the window can be heard.

RAIN: (still petting BELLA’S cat) --I have these “freaky” powers too. (Beat) Therefore, I am a freak!

The bag of chips explodes with her last word. Chips fly everywhere, scaring the cat off the bed. Feeling sorry for the cat, RAIN looks at BELLA apologetically.

BELLA: (reaching forward to pick chips out of her friend’s hair) It’s not your fault that… Gloria lied to you. You had nothing to do with that. That’s all on her.

RAIN: But why did she lie? The cop said she had all these different aliases but she stopped and stayed with “Connie Mason” eighteen years ago. She was wanted for forgery and robbery in all these different states! I mean, I never saw Mom… Gloria… whatever -- steal anything. I remember her telling me not to steal when I was small and (points at BELLA) she was always adamant about not stealing. She never ever stole her boyfriends’ cigarettes! (Beat) And now I come to found out... she might have stolen me.

BELLA: (touches her leg for comfort) I’m sorry, Rain. It’s horrible.

RAIN: (rushing on) And then there’s Keith! Except, he’s not “Keith”, he may not even be my brother!

She stops abruptly, leaving the question of her own identity hanging, unsaid.

RAIN: (softly) This is just… insane, Bella. It’s just… (She looks down)

BELLA: Maybe Tanner will come to Gloria’s funeral? You guys could talk, maybe?

RAIN: I doubt it. I don’t know where he is and he’s been gone for so long. He… he really hated… her. They were always fighting.

RAIN: (starts to cry) Who am I, Bella? Who do I belong to?

BELLA: Aw…honey, you’re Rain and you belong to me kiddo. (She suddenly sits up straight; formally) I’ll adopt you.

RAIN gives a laugh mixed with a sob, wiping her eyes. Suddenly, the cat jumps back on the bed and slowly walks over to RAIN, brushing its body against her leg. Then it parks in RAIN’S lap. RAIN smiles as she pets her.

BELLA: (uncertainly) It’ll sort out… it’ll be ok.

CUT TO-
    INT. HAVEN POLICE DEPT - HOLDING CELLS – NOON

An OFFICER is pushing a cart filled with the prisoners’ lunches to the holding cells. He stops at JAKE SHEPHERD’S cell after delivering all of the lunches. Seeing JAKE has hung himself from the sheets tied to the cell bars, he immediately calls for back up. Right then, OFFICER KELLY arrives and the prisoners start clamoring. The same OFFICER who was talking on the phone in the locker room in the pilot unlocks the cell door to check JAKE’S pulse.

FIRST OFFICER: (Beat; looks at OFFICER KELLY) He’s dead.

CUT TO-
    INT. MICHAEL’S HAVEN - RESTAURANT AND BAR – AFTERNOON

Slowly, the entrance door open, MADELINE BLAKE enters holding onto a leather satchel, the same WOMAN who spoke to RAIN at the park that night.
    MICHAEL is filling a bowl with nuts as he looks up.

MICHAEL: (sets down the bowl) Welcome to Michael’s Haven. A waitress will be with you shortly.

MADELINE: Actually, I am looking for Rain Mason. I was told she works here.

MICHAEL: And you are?

MADELINE walks up to counter and offers her hand for him to shake but he ignores it.

MADELINE: I‘m… (Takes her hand back) a relative of Rain’s.

MICHAEL: (arches brow) Is that right?

Cautiously, MICHAEL examines her as she smiles at him. She has on a light blue blouse, jeans and brown loafers. Her hair is loose. Looking around the restaurant she catchers a patron checking her out. Feeling a little apprehensive, she clings onto her bag waiting for MICHAEL to tell her RAIN’S whereabouts. MICHAEL smirks softly to himself.

MICHAEL: (clears throat) She’s not here.

MADELINE: I-I suppose I could wait.

Taking off her jacket, she places her satchel on the stool next to her. He looks at her with irritation.

MICHAEL: (briskly) You’ll have to order something.

MADELINE: (annoyed) Fine, I’ll have a sparkling water with a lime.

Retrieving a glass from the shelf, MICHAEL scoops ice into the glass and grabs a bottle from the refrigerator near the sinks. He picks up a slice of lime from a nearby dish. Brusquely, he plops a lime in her glass pours the water and parks her drink in front of her. Leaning back on the counter behind him, MICHAEL folds his arms observing her.

MICHAEL: So…uh, how are you related to Rain?

MADELINE: (looks up after sipping her drink) I’m… her cousin. I came to see her when I learned her mother passed away.

MICHAEL: (corrects her; softly) Her mother was murdered.

MADELINE: I am sorry, yes she was murdered. Poor, Rain. (With some concern) How is she holding up?

MICHAEL: (eyeing her suspiciously) What did you say your name was?

MADELINE: (defensive) I didn’t. (Beat) It’s Madeline Blake. Should I fetch my license, officer?

MICHAEL: (smirks) Rain won’t be back for awhile. You sure you wanna wait? I could tell her that her cousin stopped by.

Feeling anxious to talk to RAIN, MADELINE looks at her watch.

MADELINE: No… I … I’ll wait.

MICHAEL: So you might as well order lunch.

He hands her a menu. She rolls her eyes and takes it.

MADELINE: All right then, I’ll have… (She gazes distractedly down the list) the chicken Caesar salad.

MICHAEL: A salad? Why I am not surprised?

MADELINE: Are you always this rude to your customers?

MICHAEL: You’re a customer now?

MADELINE: (assertively) Yes.

MICHAEL: (laughs) Let me place your order.

Excusing himself, MICHAEL leaves with her order. Shaking her head, she drinks her sparkling water.

CUT TO-
    INT. MICHAEL’S OFFICE - AFTERNOON

Entering his office, MICHAEL picks up the phone, dials a long distance number. The other line rings. A MAN answers.

LACHLAN: (Australian accent; groggily) Ugh… Hello?

MICHAEL: Lachlan, its Michael Corbis. -- Uh… sorry to call so early.

LACHLAN: Michael? (He wakes himself up) It’s been awhile. How are you, mate?

MICHAEL: I’m well, thanks.

LACHLAN: (darkly) How’s your father?

MICHAEL: (evasively) He’s fine. (Beat) Listen, I need a favor.

LACHLAN: Name it.

MICHAEL: Can run a background check on someone for me; a “Madeline Blake”?

LACHLAN: Anything for you, mate. Just a sec.

MICHAEL hears LACHLAN rustling.

LACHLAN: Uh… it’ll just be a moment… (More rustling) damn -- ow -- bloody kids! (Beat; MICHAEL fidgets impatiently; suddenly we hear clicking on the keyboard) Mike, are you still there? Yes… here we go! Got five Madeline Blakes– Toronto; London; Canterbury, New Zealand; Miami, Florida and Haven, Massachusetts.

MICHAEL: Massachusetts.

LACHLAN: Uh-huh. Ok...Madeline Clare Reece Blake, born 14 September, 1972... went to Harvard University, got her master’s degree in English Literature. She is currently... a high school English teacher. (Lachlan continues looking)… da… da… da… and no criminal records... (More clicking sounds on the other end of the phone are heard). Let me dig a little further, go a bit underground. (Beat) Huh… well, isn’t that bloody interesting!

MICHAEL: (Impatiently) What is it?

LACHLAN: She’s a Watcher!

MICHAEL: (perks up) Really?

LACHLAN: Slayer’s Council employed her recently. It looks like they’ve set her up a job at Haven High as her cover. There’s some more... personal info about her. Do you want--

MICHAEL: (putting the pieces together; interrupting, whispers) --then that means… she’s a Slayer.

LACHLAN: Are you training slayers now? (Chuckles) That’d be fitting!

MICHAEL: No, huh, it’s not that; just a… favor for someone…

LACHLAN: Did something come up? Are you coming back to the business, Mike? It’s been so long since--

MICHAEL: --Thanks, Lachlan. Again, I apologize for calling so early.

LACHLAN: No drama, mate. The kids really miss you. We still owe you that surfing lesson. And you’ll need to get away from that bloody snow that’s coming in the next few months. There’s always a bed here for you.

MICHAEL: (laughs) Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind. Give them all my love. Tell Sianoa I said hello.

LACHLAN: I’ll do that.

They both hang up. Staring at RAIN’S application on his desk, MICHAEL rubs his temples.

MICHAEL: (whispers) Not again.

FADE TO BLACK

END OF ACT I
    Last edited by Obsessed; 12-09-09, 01:24 AM.

Comment

ACT II

INT. GLORIA’S HOUSE – LATE AFTERNOON

In the middle of the kitchen, RAIN stands holding a box. At the doorframe, BELLA waits. The blood stains from GLORIA’S murder are still on the floor. RAIN gazes around the room, remembering her life here; nothing but bad memories.

BELLA: You good?

RAIN: (gives BELLA a small smile) I sure am.

BELLA: (overly enthusiastic) Well! I am sooo craving for a smoothie! We can go to Smoothie Addict before we move your stuff to your apartment. Sound good?

RAIN: (quietly) Sounds great. (Relieved) I just wanna get out of here.

Taking a deep breath, she walks out of the house towards BELLA’S car. BELLA takes the box from RAIN and puts it in the back seat with the rest of her friend’s things. Then RAIN waves to OFFICER KELLY who is leaning against his car. He tips his hat good-bye to her. Watching the OFFICER leave, RAIN and BELLA look at each other and smile as they head for home.

CUT TO-
      INT. RAIN'S APARTMENT - LIVING ROOM – EARLY EVENING

At the door, BELLA hugs RAIN good-bye.

RAIN: (warmly) Thanks Bella.

BELLA: Anytime, spaz. (Turns to leave)

Closing the door, RAIN takes off her jacket and tosses it on the chair in the kitchen. Finally alone, she allows her exhaustion to show. Before she makes it to the bedroom to unpack her belongings, there is a soft knock on the door.

RAIN: (raises her voice through the door; tiredly) Did you forget something, Bella?

Opening the door, RAIN is startled to see MADELINE standing before her. MADELINE offers a half smile.

RAIN: (startled) What-what… are you doing here?

MADELINE: (strongly) I was looking for you. I had to eat at the restaurant to wait for you. I told your boss I was a relative. I have to say, (inwardly scowling) I’m not at all sure that he is someone who you want to be working for, he’s rather rude.

RAIN: --You what?!

Briskly, MADELINE invites herself into RAIN’S apartment. RAIN is dumbfounded but closes the door anyway.

RAIN: And you don’t think you’re rude?

MADELINE: (turns to RAIN) I needed to see you again. I’m sorry if I’m intruding, I--

RAIN: (quickly) You have no right to speak to him or… or… to be in here -- whatsoever!

MADELINE: I’m sorry but we need to--

RAIN: (getting very irritated) I don’t think we need to do anything. I already told you I’m not interested. (Drained) Look, I think you’d better just leave.

MADELINE: (notices RAIN is extremely tried; concern) The other night… I said I could help you. I want to help you.

RAIN: (exasperated) You’re gonna help me by lying to my boss? By inviting yourself into my apartment? How’s that work exactly?

MADELINE: If you looked at my card, you’d see that I’m a Watcher. I would very much like to be your Watcher… if--

RAIN: --We’ve already been through this -- I don’t know what a “Watcher” is… or what this “Slayer’s Council” club that you belong to but I don’t need either of you. I’ve got this place; I’ve got a job… (Less convincingly; nods) and I’m ok.

MADELINE: (gently) Maybe so. Maybe you are… but I’m guessing that I’m the only person who knows that you are a “slayer”, that you kill vampires and can handle weaponry like most people handle a knife and fork.

RAIN: (wavering) Uh-- no. My friend…

MADELINE: (sharply) You’ve told others?! I don’t -- (backing off at RAIN'S expression) I see. Well, I’m sure you trust them. Friends can be helpful, yes.

MADELINE tries to maintain an open posture.

MADELINE: (decides to launch in) A… a Watcher is someone who guides and teaches the Slayer; prepares her to face her duty. It has been this way for centuries. And now that there are many slayers--

RAIN: You’re a teacher? (Sarcastically) Great. That’s brilliant. Cause every teacher I ever met has done just sooo much for me.

MADELINE: No… well, yes… I am a teacher in that sense. The Council has arranged for me a position at Haven High but that’s not--

RAIN: --Great.

MADELINE: A Watcher is not like that. I… I’ve been trained, by the “Slayer’s Council”. It’s a new organization. When a witch named Willow Rosenberg did a spell--

RAIN: You’ve got to be kidding…

MADELINE: (ignoring RAIN'S response; determined to go on) When Willow released the Slayer power and activated all the potential slayers, Buffy Summers and Rupert Giles set up the Council; to train watchers and slayers. It’s based in Scotland -- really they’re all over but--

RAIN: --you’re rambling. (Thinks; remembers something) Wait… this witch Willow, she has red hair?

MADELINE: Yes, as a matter of fact, she does. How…? (Nods with realization) You’ve dreams of her.

Saying nothing, RAIN looks at her for a moment, internally struggling. MADELINE senses that RAIN is desperate for knowledge, despite her pretense otherwise.

RAIN: (guarded) A vampire I killed, called me a “slayer”. (Shrugs) I figured that’s what I am. (Beat; sighs) Maybe you should… (Sits down) start over, from the beginning.

The camera pans to the clock, it slowly flickers to 6:30 pm indicating two hours have passed. Camera pans back to RAIN and MADELINE who are sitting on the couch silently, half facing each other. There are two empty mugs on the coffee table beside them and a couple of ancient books near MADELINE'S satchel. RAIN shifts awkwardly, clearly thinking and trying to assimilate all that MADELINE has told her.

RAIN: So.

MADELINE: (half smile) So.

RAIN: I’m a “chosen one”…

MADELINE: You are. (Smiling) I’m afraid there’s not much choice in that respect.

RAIN: And in each generation, there was just one slayer until Willow did the spell activating all potential slayers? Now there are thousands of slayers all over the world?

MADELINE: Yes, that’s correct.

RAIN: (Beat) And… you’re my Watcher?

MADELINE: (softly) If you’d like me to be; that… that you have a choice.

RAIN: (softly, to herself) You know… today just couldn’t get weirder.

Grabbing the mugs, RAIN gets up from the couch and heads to the kitchen.

RAIN: (uncomfortably) Uh… Allie, my roommate will probably be back soon.

MADELINE: (stands; quietly confident) You don’t have to decide right now. I understand how hard all this must be to… I mean… on top of your mother’s death and your expulsion from school…

Abruptly RAIN turn back to face MADELINE at what she has just said. Thoughts of GLORIA and everything that has happened today plague her mind.

RAIN: (vehemently) How do you know about -- you know nothing about her or me!

The mugs in her hand shatter, pieces of the ceramic shoot off around the room.

Throwing her hands up to block the shards, one hits MADELINE square on the check. Blood starts trickling down her face. She looks up at RAIN, shocked and horrified. The rest of the shards are embedded in the walls, couch and floor indicating the great impact.

RAIN: (horrified) Oh my god!

She drops the mug handles still in her hand and rushes to MADELINE'S side.

RAIN: I’m so sorry. Are you ok?

MADELINE: Uh…

RAIN: (upset; reaches to MADELINE’S face) I didn’t mean… oh … god.

MADELINE: Uh… I’m ok. I think it’s just a scratch. (She gazes around the room, at the shards sticking out from the walls) I… think… I escaped the worst of it.

Following MADELINE'S gaze, RAIN is upset, embarrassed and awkward.

MADELINE: I … don’t understand. What just happened?

RAIN: (softly, hanging her head) I guess I do need someone who knows about Slayer powers…

Carefully brushing away the ceramic fragments off the couch, RAIN sits down. Ashamed, she avoids looking at MADELINE. Rummaging in her bag, MADELINE pulls out a tissue and dabs her face with it, looking very perplexed.

MADELINE: Rain…

RAIN: (reluctantly) I guess… I guess you should be my Watcher.

MADELINE: (more forcefully) Rain.

RAIN: I mean… I’m dangerous sometimes… there was Jake and…

MADELINE: (shouts) Rain!

RAIN looks up at MADELINE. Her face pales a little at MADELINE'S expression.

MADELINE: (worried) That wasn’t something typical to Slayers. That was… something else altogether. I don’t know…

RAIN: (worried, confused) You don’t know? I thought…

MADELINE: Slayers don’t have telekinetic or natural Wiccan abilities. Not that I’ve been taught, in any case.

RAIN: What? That wasn’t…

MADELINE: (looking at RAIN slightly fearfully) No. Mr. Giles never indicated…

RAIN: (becoming upset, seeing MADELINE'S look) Y-You’re afraid of me?

Quickly, RAIN gets up and slightly backs away, folding her arms.

RAIN: You don’t know what I am. (Softly) -- Who I am.

Moving toward RAIN, MADELINE clears her expression. She puts her hand on RAIN’S shoulder, trying to conceal her nervousness.

MADELINE: (inclining her head) You’re a Slayer. I know that. I can work with that. And these Wiccan powers you seem to have… I’ll contact the Council. (Beat) It’s happened before?

RAIN: (turns to MADELINE; nods) Yes. I didn’t know it was me at first and then… (Beat; struggles with her admission)… then I knew it was me… (Looks squarely at MADELINE) Sometimes I can control it… and--

MADELINE: --sometimes you can’t.

RAIN: (in agreement) Sometimes I can’t – (scared) I’ve… hurt people. (Whispers) It feels like a bad thing.

MADELINE: (mustering confidence that she doesn’t feel) I’m sure it’s not. If you can control it sometimes it just means that you need to learn how to use it. I’ll find out. We’ll learn together. I’ll help you.

RAIN looks up; her eyes are full of tears, a yearning in her expression.

There is the sound of the door knob turning. The moment between Watcher and Slayer is suddenly broken. RAIN’S defense mechanism clicks back on as she steps backward, forcing MADELINE’S hand to fall from her shoulder. ALLIE, steps into the apartment. With one hand, RAIN wipes her eyes and straightens.

ALLIE: (grinning widely) Hey, RAIN, how are -- (Sees the apartment)… oh my god?! What happened here? Were we robbed? My computer!

Before either RAIN or MADELINE can get a word in edgewise, ALLIE has bolted into her room.

RAIN: (calling out) Allie! It’s all right!

Awkwardly, MADELINE and RAIN look at each other.

MADELINE: Um… I’ll help you clean up.

RAIN: No… it’s okay. (Looks around) Not sure how to explain this to her… but I got it.

Seeing it’s probably a good time for her to leave, MADELINE fetches her books putting them in her satchel.

MADELINE: You’re right, I should go. (Beat) I’m staying at the Maple Leaf Motel, room 122 until the Council sorts me out a place to live, but you can find me there or… call me anytime. I’ll be in touch with you once I’ve spoken with… (Lowers her voice) the Council about your powers.

MADELINE gives RAIN what she hopes is a reassuring smile. They nod each other good-bye. Closing the door behind her, RAIN leans against the door to think. Tired, confused and frustrated but on edge she looks at her watch.

CUT TO-
      INT. RAIN’S BEDROOM – EVENING

We see RAIN entering her bedroom, unpacked boxes everywhere. She goes though a couple of the, looking for something. With a smile, she finds a stake and hides it in her jacket.

CUT TO-
      EXT. BLACK ROSE CEMETERY – EVENING

As RAIN nears the entrance to the large cemetery, she sees it’s gated and applies some slayer strength to the lock. To her surprise, it swings open just as she touches it. Upon entering, she feels a pleasant release of using her slayer powers. She observes the moon casts its light on the headstones and mausoleums as well as the lush lawn with few trees scattered about.

Walking down the main path, she locates a gang of VAMPIRES drinking by an angel statue in the middle of the cemetery; a biker gang to be more specific. She counts three VAMPIRES; two MALE and one FEMALE. There are two motorcycles resting against a couple of headstones. Like any biker gang, they are all wearing leather.

RAIN assumes the bulkiest MALE is the leader. He appears to be in his fifties. Wearing a black bandana, the FEMALE VAMPIRE rubs his chest.

The YOUNGEST VAMPIRE is swigging from a bottle of beer. He bears a familial resemblance to the FEMALE. Hearing them roaring and laughing, RAIN has second thoughts about making her move. She slightly backs away but the LEADER looks up. RAIN gulps.

LEADER: Well… Looky here, what’s this?

YOUNGEST: (chuckles) It’s a girl, Hammer. (Beat; smiles baring his teeth) A pretty one at that.

HAMMER: (rolling his head back in irritation) I was being sarcastic, Brick. (To the FEMALE) Baby, grab the chains. We’ve got a fight to-- (Turns to see RAIN is gone; his head pivots). Where’d she go?

He spots RAIN running toward the gate. HAMMER jumps on his motorcycle while the FEMALE grabs the chains. Nonchalantly BRICK is leaning against the statue picking his teeth. Just as HAMMER revs up the motorcycle, the FEMALE hops on. They ride to the gate using his bike to successfully block RAIN from leaving the cemetery. RAIN inches back just as they get off the bike. With his last chug of beer, BRICK smashes the bottle against a headstone and sprints over to them. Seeing BRICK has made it more impossible to escape, she looks back at the COUPLE.

HAMMER: Gee, (spreads his arms out in front of him) looks like you’re trapped!

Inwardly, RAIN agrees with him but nervously pulls out her stake anyway. As they slowly move in on her she abruptly turns around and does a back flip, furthering herself away from them. BRICK goes after her and she uses this as an opportunity to turn around and knock him over. She hits a solid wall of black leather; gasping form the impact, she stumbles back but regains her balance. Surprised by her strength, BRICK falls backward and struggles to get up. HAMMER and FEMALE laugh at him.

HAMMER: (mocking) Aw, Brick…she hurt you bad?

BRICK: (furiously to RAIN) You! (Growls; charges)

RAIN starts running away from them.

HAMMER: Go get her Brick! (Laughs) What a joke!

He turns to the FEMALE.

HAMMER: (quizzically) You sure he’s your brother?

FEMALE: (smiles) I always figured he was adopted.

The COUPLE laughs. Eventually BRICK catches up with RAIN near the angel statue.

BRICK: You’re gonna pay for that, bitch. I am not going to be the laughing stock of… of… (Trying to think of something catchy to say) uh... you know…

RAIN: (laughs) You’re not big with the wit, are you?

BRICK: Maybe not but I can fight.

RAIN: Let me be the judge of that.

Using this moment to launch at him, RAIN strikes him with the stake. He sees it just in time and makes a grab for her arm but she pulls back.

BRICK: What’s with the stake?

He parries another stab of the stake in question.

RAIN: (panting slightly) What you don’t know? (Beat) I thought all the vamps knew.

HAMMER and the FEMALE walk closer to watch them fight. They make themselves comfortable by sitting on a bench.

FEMALE: (calling out) You give it to her good, Brick!

His attention briefly on the others, RAIN uses this opportunity to kick him in the stomach.

BRICK: (grimacing with pain) What the hell?

Regaining his balance, BRICK punches her in the chin, her face twisting violently to the right. Quick as a flash, she punches him back. He grabs her, flips her body on his knee and hits her back with his elbow. She screams as she falls of his leg. BRICK pauses to flash a grin at HAMMER and the FEMALE. Just before RAIN makes a move to get up, he picks her up and throws her against the statue and pins her with his body.

BRICK: (sniffing her) You sure smell tasty.

He gets ready to bite her. She pulls her head back, repulsed.

RAIN: And you (she knees him in the groin) smell dead… (Sarcastically) oh, wait, that’s cause you are dead.

Wincing in pain, BRICK falls to the ground, allowing RAIN to move into staking position. He grips her hand tightly, forcing her to drop the stake.

BRICK: (irritated) Enough with the stake already!

RAIN: Duh, I’m a Slayer.

Confused, BRICK gives her a worn out look, still holding her hand.

BRICK: Slayer? -- The band?

Pulling herself away with a powerful jerk, she shakes her head at him. He struggles to his feet, while RAIN remains still, her white glowing eyes focuses on the statue. There is a gritty, loud cracking noise. As the statue cracks, large chunks of it fall down toward him. Looking up, his eyes widen. BRICK throws his arms up to protect his face as it explodes over him. Right then and there, RAIN grabs her stake off the ground and dusts him.

RAIN huffs a breath and jumps to her feet. She tingles with energy, glancing over to the COUPLE.

RAIN: So, which one of you wants to go next?

HAMMER growls and stands up to meet her, the FEMALE grabs at him.

FEMALE: (nervously, scared) Wait, Hammer! She’s strong!

HAMMER: (shrugs; childish, mocking to RAIN) Well, look at you, little girl, all with your little stake and everything! You’re just positively edible.

FEMALE: Hammer!

HAMMER: Gypsy, shut it!

Adopting a fighting stance, RAIN twirls the stake in her hand.

HAMMER: (cocking his head) So you’re a slayer, aren’t you? (Beat) -- And a witch at that. Kinky! (Calling over to GYPSY) Time for chains, luv!

Remembering she slung them over the bike by the gate entrance, GYPSY goes to retrieve them while HAMMER keeps an eye on RAIN.

HAMMER: (to RAIN; winks) I think I’ll let her have a go at ya first.

RAIN: Gee, I can’ t wait.

GYPSY returns with the chains in hand.

HAMMER: (smirks) Go for it baby.

Whirling the chains to her left, then her right, back and forth, she approaches RAIN.

GYPSY: You think I am going to let you get away with killing my brother?

RAIN: Yep.

GYPSY: Think again.

Bringing down the chains suddenly, GYPSY hits RAIN across her face and abdomen. She gasps as her head jerks to her right.

GYPSY: (pleased) Sorry to mess up your pretty face.

As the VAMPIRE moves to fling the chains down again, RAIN clenches the end, pulls it towards her. GYPSY leaps forward, dropping the chains. Aiming for her stomach, RAIN kicks her hard. Turning around, the VAMPIRE gets up; storms towards her but RAIN ducks and grabs her. Quickly, RAIN picks up the chains, flails it around GYPSY’S neck. With a sharp and extremely strong jerk, she beheads her.

RAIN: (panting) Sorry I chopped off yours.

Throwing his cigarette on the ground, HAMMER claps his hand together.

HAMMER: Alone at last!

RAIN says nothing. They stare at each other, a few feet away, waiting for each other to make a move.

RAIN: Sorry I killed your girlfriend. (Beat; pretends to think) No wait, I’m not.

HAMMER: No big, my feelings aren’t hurt.

RAIN: As if you have any feelings.

They continue to circle each other. Yet RAIN realizes he seems chilled, laid back, too confident. Watching his move very carefully, she tries to anticipate what he will do next but he seems to prefer to talk.

HAMMER: So, uh…what’s with the whole witch thing? Is this a new breed of slayers that the Initiative cooked up? (Grins) You know, it’s kinda sexy.

RAIN: (utterly disgusted) Ok, first -- the witch-thing is still in it’s experimental stage -- highly unpredictable. Second – “Intia-whats-it”? And third -- ew, gross. You’re like 50 years old and… hello -- dead. (Shakes her head) And can we just fight already?

HAMMER: (shrugs again; agrees) Fair enough. (Nods) You are the Slayer.

HAMMER lunges at her, managing to punch her in the face and knee her in the stomach. At a great distance he tosses RAIN in the air. She crashes into BRICK’S motorcycle, with a sickening crunch.

HAMMER: (strolling over to her) You know? I thought that slayers were, like, supposed to be really strong? You’d think with your wiccan powers you’d be… (Nods) well… stronger. Your fight against Brick and Gypsy hardly showed any potential.

Reaching her as she struggles to get up; he picks her up again throws her in the air once more as if she is a rag doll. She slams down into a concrete bench. Barely moving, blood starts trickling out of the corner of RAIN’S mouth.

HAMMER: (cont'd)…I really don’t think you’re all that after all. I need a woman with a bit more; you know stamina. (Beat) Oh, come on Elvira, get up! Show me what you got!

RAIN: (mumbling) Oh… (Wipes mouth) -- now you want to fight?

Covered in powdered dust, RAIN gradually gets up. Touching her head, she finds blood on her hand, but not enough to alarm her. By the time she is upright, HAMMER is facing her. She swings at him and they start to fight in earnest.

Behind the gate of the cemetery we see a shadowy figure watching RAIN fight the VAMPIRE.

Cut back to RAIN and HAMMER, just as she throws a particularly vicious punch at his nose. Blood spurts. RAIN is rapidly tiring; HAMMER seems to be stronger than before. Looking around, she tries to come up with a big finish. Suddenly she pitches to the left to avoid a punch. Then she straightens up, her eyes turn white again. Seeing RAIN is more exhausted, even as she stands still, he whirls around to attack her. Just as she lifts her hand, loud snapping sounds stops him. Glancing around, his hand frozen, still poise to her hit her, HAMMER’S eyes widen in shock. He tries to cover his hand and face as the branches from the trees break off and hurl at him like a swarm of bees.

HAMMER: Aww… shi-!

All at once, the branches pierce his body. Before he hits the ground, HAMMER turns into dust. Breathing heavily, her arms still up in the air; RAIN tries to move but finds herself rigid, paralyzed. Sweat pours down her face. Unexpectedly, her eyes roll backward into her head and she falls backward, unconscious to the ground. We hear the scrunching sounds of SOMEONE walking on gravel. There is a close up of the FIGURE’S feet standing before RAIN’S body. The camera zooms out and we see the FIGURE is carrying her out of the cemetery.

FADE TO BLACK

END OF ACT II
      Last edited by Obsessed; 06-03-10, 01:22 PM.

Comment

ACT III

INT. RAIN'S APARTMENT - LIVING ROOM – EVENING

RAIN is unconscious on the couch in the living room. Gradually she comes to, jumping to a sitting position, realizing she is home. She brings a hand to her head, still dizzy. Looking up, she remarks MICHAEL is sitting on a chair watching, holding on to her jacket. He gives her a worried, tight smile.

RAIN: (disorientated and startled) Michael? (Touching her head) What… what are you doing here?

MICHAEL: (puts jacket on chair) You fainted.

RAIN: What? (Rubbing her temples) You… brought me here?

MICHAEL: (nods) Yes. You’ll be fine.

RAIN: How… how did--? Ohh…

Shutting her eyes, RAIN leans back on the couch.

MICHAEL: (leaping up) You ok? Let me get you a glass of water.

MICHAEL goes to the kitchen and returns with a glass of water. Gingerly, he sits down beside her and offers the glass. One hand on her forehead, she slowly opens her eyes and accepts the glass of water. Gratefully, she sips it.

RAIN: (awkwardly smiles) Thanks. Just feeling a bit… (Her voice trails off)

MICHAEL: I… uh… I was at the cemetery. I saw you.

RAIN: Uhmm... you saw me faint? Did you see what happened before--?

MICHAEL: --You staked three vampires… well staked two and beheaded one. (Smiles meekly)

Shaking her head, chuckling, RAIN grimaces from the aching pain.

RAIN: Ohh… You’re kinda freaking me out. (Beat) But actually, considering today… I really shouldn’t be surprised.

MICHAEL: I know you’re a slayer.

RAIN: (nods) Yup. And right about now you’re gonna tell me -- let me guess… you’re a secret agent? (He gives her a look of confusion) -- I really don’t know -- did the Mad chick tell you?

MICHAEL: -- (grins) Uh, no… not a secret agent. And by “mad” chick you mean Madeline? No, your Watcher didn’t tell me anything.

RAIN: Well… uh… you just seem to know everything.

MICHAEL: And you seem to be a witch too. That’s new.

RAIN: (softly, aghast) You saw that too?

MICHAEL: (nods) I saw the whole show; can-can dancers, strobe lights. Everything. (Attempts a chuckle, but stops at her look).

RAIN: Wonderful. (Beat) Wait… (Struggles into a sitting position, flinching slightly) What were you doing there? (Searching his expression) You were stalking me?

MICHAEL: I wanted to make sure--

Appearing out of her bedroom, ALLIE knocks on RAIN’S bedroom door.

ALLIE: Rain? Are you there?

Slowly, RAIN gets up off the couch, shaking. To steady her, MICHAEL grasps her arm. A look passes between them. MICHAEL lets go and takes a step back.

RAIN: (calls out) Allie, I’m out here, in the living room.

ALLIE runs to the living room, surprised to see MICHAEL.

ALLIE: Mr. Corbis… hi… umm… (Turns to RAIN; looks at her sidelong)… uh, (puzzled by how RAIN looks at the moment; ignores it) Turn on the TV quick! Channel 8!

Realizing that RAIN isn’t capable of moving very quickly, ALLIE races over to the TV and turns it on the evening news.

REPORTER: Suspect Jake Shepherd charged in the death of Connie Mason was found dead earlier this afternoon in his prison cell. While the details are sketchy as to how he died, the Haven Police Department want residents to know the investigation of Connie Mason’s murder continue; more news at 11:00.

RAIN: (in shock) Oh god… I must have -- (skinks back onto sofa; weakly) I can’t…

MICHAEL: --Allie, why don’t you give us a moment alone?

ALLIE: (looking at them with uncertainty) Oh sure, of course. I… I’ll go to see a friend.

With concern ALLIE looks at RAIN before leaving the apartment wishing she could do more for her roommate. Starting at the floor, RAIN wonders how JAKE died. Abruptly, she stands up sways with vertigo.

MICHAEL: (grabs her) You need to take it easy.

Slightly pushing him back, she takes a couple of deep breaths.

RAIN: I’m ok… (grabs her jacket)

MICHAEL: Rain, where do you think you are going? You’ve been unconscious for the last couple of hours. You need to rest.

RAIN: No… I need to go to the police station.

MICHAEL: (looks at her in amazement) You’ve have nothing to do with Shepherd’s death.

RAIN says nothing; slowly she looks up at him.

RAIN: (softly) I may have contributed …

MICHAEL: I highly doubt that. An inmate probably murdered him.

RAIN: (reeling) I have to find out. I have to know.

MICHAEL: The police won’t tell you anything at this point. Why not until tomorrow morning -- you might find out what happened on the news, anyway.

RAIN: (thinking; nods) Ok… that does sound sensible.

MICHAEL: (relieved) Ok. Are you going to be alright? Can I get you some food or something?

RAIN: (nauseous) No, no… I’m okay. I’m just going to take a shower and go to bed… thanks, though. (She looks up at him, smiles softly)

MICHAEL: (touches her arm for a little longer than necessary) Okay. Take it easy. I’ll… uh… roster you off for a couple of days. (Smiles; turns to leave)

As soon as he is gone, RAIN takes a deep breath and gathers what strength she has left. She strides to the window, pulls the curtain back a little bit, watches him walk out of the apartment building and into the restaurant. Then she puts on her jacket, finds a stake just in case and leaves for the police station, looking decidedly wobbly and worse for wear.

CUT TO-
        INT. HAVEN POLICE DEPARTMENT – NIGHT

RAIN approaches to the front desk but there is no one there. The place seems deserted. She walks around the desk, looking for an office in particular. As she passes one, RAIN sees DETECTIVE O’MALLEY ‘S name on the door. She hears a voice coming from the office. Glancing around to make sure no one around, she listens in. She hears his voice and presumes he’s talking on the phone.

DETECTIVE: (OS) The media is going to have a field day with this. I can already see it in the headlines. We can’t afford to have any leaks. (Beat) Yes, but if it gets out that we’ve had a suicide on the premises -- just make sure it doesn’t happen, all right? (Slams down the phone)

RAIN quickly turns around and heads for the entrance and disappears out into the night.

CUT TO-
        EXT. SOME STREET – EVENING

The same OFFICER from the locker room in the first episode is talking on a pay phone.

VOICE: The coroner concluded Jake Shepherd killed himself?

OFFICER: Yes, sir.

VOICE: Good work.

The OFFICER hangs up, looks around and proceeds to his car.

CUT TO-
        INT. MICHAEL’S HAVEN - RESTAURANT & BAR – NEXT DAY – MORNING

Slowly RAIN enters the restaurant, looking like she didn’t have much sleep. Surveying, the layout she realizes it’s still early as the chairs are still on the tables and MICHAEL is nowhere to be seen. She proceeds to his office, knocks on the door and sees he’s reading an ancient book about witchcraft. Quickly he puts it aside.

RAIN: Uh, sorry… Don’t stop on my account.

MICHAEL: Oh, no… it’s fine. (Beat) Are you feeling better?

RAIN: (she nods) Yeah.

Shifting around the office uncomfortably, she studies the place properly for the first time, running her eyes across the photos on the walls. They are professional looking shots of graveyards.

RAIN: I see you decorated.

MICHAEL: (chuckles) Yeah, after five years.

RAIN: Did you take these?

MICHAEL: Yep.

RAIN: (arches her brow) Interesting theme. (Beat) They’re good.

MICHAEL: Thanks.

RAIN runs her fingers down the spines of books that weren’t there before and examines the titles.

RAIN: (murmuring) Orystion’s Almanac…Witches: History and Deviancy…

Clearing his throat uncomfortably, MICHAEL shifts in his chair.

RAIN: (looks over to him) Light reading?

MICHAEL: Uh…yah… (Nods to himself; nervous) I guess I owe you some kind of explanation.

RAIN: Are you a watcher?

MICHAEL: (bursts out laughing; looks at her) No! Uh, no, no. Not a watcher but I’ve come across vampires in my day. (Beat) Uh… look, I -- how’d you like Madeline?

RAIN: (shrugs) She’s all right. I think she’s scared of me.

MICHAEL: Why would you say that?

RAIN: My powers. I’m having some… well, you saw.

MICHAEL: (nods) I am sure it’s a surprise to her, that’s all. I wouldn’t worry about it but she’s treating you all right?

She continues to look at him, waiting for an explanation.

MICHAEL: (seeing she will not be brushed off) Okay… so suave change of subject not working…

RAIN: (shrugs her shoulders; relenting a bit) You don’t want to tell me, that’s ok. It’s just that…

MICHAEL: (By way of explanation; very uncomfortably) Look, I… have… some stuff in my past. I’ll tell you… when… (His voice trails off, then picks up again) You can trust me.

RAIN: (She struggles; overly forcefully) It’s just that next time you want to follow me to do your mysterious supernatural guy thing, just, uh… it’d be good to let me know first.

MICHAEL nods and smiles. She returns it tightly and moves toward the door, then pausing.

RAIN: (turning around) Michael? Uh… (Choosing her words carefully) I was wondering… if, uh… if I wanted to find someone, would you help me? No questions asked?

MICHAEL: (hiding his curiosity; inclining his head) Yes… uh, who would I be looking for?

RAIN: Tanner Dubois.

FADE TO BLACK

END OF ACT III
        Last edited by Obsessed; 12-09-09, 01:25 AM.

Comment

ACT IV

EXT. OAKLAND APT – REDWOOD, MASSACHUSETTS – EARLY AFTERNOON

Standing before the apartment door, RAIN holding a piece of paper with MICHAEL’S handwriting that has TANNER DUBOIS’ address on it. Her Greyhound bus ticket is sticking out of her bag. Drumming up the courage to knock on the door, she straightens her army jacket, run her fingers through her hair. Then she takes a deep breath and knocks on the door.

A MAN answers the door, wearing a blue mechanic’s uniform and holding a baby girl. His face drops when he sees RAIN. She arches her brow as she sees the baby then looks back at him. Awkwardly he gazes at RAIN.

TANNER: Rain… this is… a surprise.

RAIN: You’re surprised? (Bitterly, pointing at the baby) I guess you got yourself that family you always wanted.

TANNER looks away then back at RAIN while the baby is cooing at her.

TANNER: (uncomfortably) What are you doing here?

RAIN: (coldly) Mom’s dead.

She folds her arms defensively.

TANNER: (nods) I know… I saw the news.

RAIN shakes her head in disgust.

RAIN: So you what… felt you didn’t need to come? Call me or something? Pay your respects?

TANNER: (laughs; there is an edge to his voice) Pay my respects? (More gently) Rain, who are you kidding?

RAIN: Why didn’t you tell me?

TANNER: (he recoils slightly) About--? (Nods slowly) Do we have to do this? I need to take--

RAIN: (interrupts angrily) --Hell… actually, yeah. I just found out that my mother has been on the run under a different alias, even you. (Beat) Oh and there is a strong possibility that I am not even her kid! (Quiets down as she sees the baby is getting fussy) In fact, Aunt Carolyn says I was kidnapped. Now, you wouldn’t happen to know anything about that, would you?

TANNER: (startled) That’s a mouthful coming from you.

RAIN: Look, help me out here. (Voice breaks) Did you know? (Beat) What do you know?

TANNER: (evasively) I have to go to work soon. Please, I need to take Angie to the sitter.

RAIN: You owe me, Tanner. You left me all alone with… (Vehemently) that (lowers voice) bitch and her groping boyfriends. I begged you to take me with you. And here you are, living the paradise.

TANNER: Yah, I’m living the paradise (indicating his uniform).

RAIN: (darkly) You are compared to me.

TANNER: (angrily) You know nothing about my life, so don’t turn up here with your accusations and attitude, Rain. I got out when I could. And now… (More softly) now I’ve got Angie. It’s just the two of us.

RAIN: (taken aback) Oh… I’m sorry. (Sighs) I didn’t mean to come over here and attack you. (Beat) It’s just that I’ve been on a four hour trip on a bus filled with people who never have heard of showers. This is the first time I’ve ever set foot out of Haven. I need answers. I think I deserve answers.

TANNER steps backward and opens the door further, indicating that she should follow him in. He leads her to the kitchen, gestures her to sit down at the table near a small window. There is a worn-out couch against the wall and a small TV on a wobbly TV stand on her left. Everything is spotless except for a few brightly colored toys lying about and a playpen. RAIN can see he doesn’t have much, but a lot of love and care is evident.

CUT TO-
          INT. TANNER’S APARTMENT – EARLY AFTERNOON

Kissing the baby tenderly on her forehead, TANNER places her in the playpen in the living room. Then he joins RAIN at the table. We see there are two glasses of iced tea. He sips his tea but she doesn’t touch hers, waiting for him to begin.

TANNER: (clears his throat; traces the rim of the glass) Ever since I can remember, I had a new name every month. (Thinks back) I think it started when I was five or six. Mom told me it was a game. I thought it was fun. I didn’t think anything of it. (Shrugs) But, when I got older… I realized she was in trouble. She was always acting weird when we were out -- really nervous, rushing. And every time she saw the police (chuckles wryly; shakes his head)… she’d run in the opposite direction with me in tow but I knew -- I figured she was running from the law, though from what? I don’t know. I’ve lost count of all the names I had.

TANNER takes another sip from his iced tea while RAIN patiently listens.

TANNER: (cont'd) Before you were born, Mom and I always traveled. We lived out of cars; we hopped around, stayed with friends and in motels. When we settled in Haven, it wasn’t until a few weeks later, Mom had you--

RAIN: (interrupts) --But your mother didn’t have me. They think… they think she kidnapped me. That’s what Carolyn is saying. The police can’t find any records about me at all. I mean there is a birth certificate with my name “Rain Mason” that and that I was born at Haven Hospital but there are no records.

TANNER: (shrugs; looks her in the eye) All I remember is Mom just showed up one rainy night holding you with a wet, bloody blanket. She said you were ours. You were… (His voice trails off; he smiles softly at the memory).

RAIN eyes start to water as she stares at the melting ice in her tea in front of her.

TANNER: (cont'd) I know you weren’t hers. She couldn’t get pregnant after she had me. She always rubbed that in my face. (Thinking) I never saw her pregnant anyway -- but when I was older… I knew there was something strange going on, the way she just showed up with you like that. It was the way she looked at you; as if -- (Sighs) She never looked at me like she did at you. You had some kind of meaning, like you were special or something. I was just…

TANNER looks out the window and then back to RAIN.

TANNER: (cont'd) She said Haven would be our home forever and I could keep the name Keith Mason until I died. (Beat) I thought it was weird but I didn’t question it. I was secretly happy because I wouldn’t have to keep saying good-bye to my friends, whoever they were at the moment. We finally had a home. We were a family. (Beat; grinning bitterly) Though, I realize it wasn’t a home. (Quietly) It just… looked like one.

RAIN: (swallows) So that’s it?

TANNER: That’s it. (With a hint of pain; whispers) Mom ignored me all my life.

RAIN: (angrily) She ignored me too.

TANNER: (with frustration) What do you want me to say?

He gets up, grabs their glasses, and washes them roughly.

RAIN: Why didn’t you take me with you? She never -- (Choking on her tears) you left me with your mother and her… (Swallows hard) boyfriends. Do you know what they did to me?

TANNER: (turning back to her; harshly) Rain, I was twenty. You must remember what it was like. All we ever did was argue; the booze, all those guys… hell. I had to get out of there. (Beat) I got a new life now. I am a father. And I am a much better person than she’ll ever be.

Fighting her emotions, RAIN stares back at him.

TANNER: (sees she’s in pain) Why does it matter? She’s dead. We’re free of it. We’re free of her.

RAIN: (her eyes water; softly) Are we? (Beat) I grew up thinking this woman was my mother, that you were my brother. It’s all I ever knew and then I find out… I have this life that’s empty -- there’s nothing there. I don’t know who I am; who my real parents are, nothing. You know who you are, your name. I don’t.

TANNER: Rain, I am sorry. I don’t know what to say. (Beat; softly) I… I’m still your brother.

RAIN looks at him, wishing. Soon ANGIE starts to cry. He picks up the baby, starts rubbing her back, whispering soothing words.

RAIN: Not that’s it’s any of my business, but… uh, what happen with Angie’s mother?

TANNER: Dunno. She didn’t want Angie. (Smiles) I did. Angie is all worth it, (looks at his baby) aren’t you?

RAIN: (feels uncomfortable) I should get going.

TANNER: Rain...

RAIN: No really… I gotta go. I have a job that I need to get to, so thank you. It was nice seeing you and… Angie.

He puts ANGIE back in playpen. They walk to the door but they don’t hug. She just looks at him somberly. TANNER touches her shoulder and she resists the urge to pull back.

TANNER: I am sorry, Rain. I truly am.

RAIN: (holding back tears) I know. I am happy for you, really. You deserve it, after everything you’ve been through.

TANNER: (giving her a lopsided grin) Thanks.

RAIN: (realizes something) Do you remember when it happened? The date?

TANNER: Yeah, October 31st, 1986.

RAIN: (stunned) Really? Not November 4th?

TANNER: (shrugs) Nope, it was Halloween night. I thought it was all spooky with the rain and how you appeared and all; like magic.

RAIN: (tenses at his choice of words; she shakes her head) Where were you staying at the time?

TANNER: A motel… (Thinks; nods)… yeah it was the Autumn Sun. We only stayed there for a few weeks and then we all of a sudden could afford the house.

RAIN: (surprised to hear this) That’s weird.

TANNER: That’s mom.

RAIN: (nods in agreement) Oh… um… Carolyn is gonna pay for the burial. It should be in a few days in Haven at Black Rose Cemetery. I just thought you might want to know.

Shrugs his shoulders, TANNER indicate with silence he isn’t interested in going. RAIN feels hurt but accepts his answer and they say their good-byes.

CUT TO-
          INT. GREYHOUND BUS – LATE AFTERNOON

Somberly, RAIN sits at the window seat in the middle of the bus. She sees a sign, “You’re now entering Haven” while listening to music on her I-Pod. Looking down at her lap, a blank sketch pad just lies there in front of her, beckoning.

CUT TO-
          EXT. BLACK ROSE CEMETERY – THREE DAYS LATER - AFTERNOON

The autumn sky is clear and crisp. RAIN, BELLA and a MINSTER holding a bible are standing before a fresh grave. The headstone reads: GLORIA DUBOIS, born Jan 18, 1963- died November 4th, 2004. Feeling a mixture of emotions, RAIN looks over to where the angel statue used to be. We hear I won’t Say Good-bye by Katrina Elam playing softly.

I won't write a note
          That's a coward's way out
          I won't bring it up
          There's nothing left to talk about

There is a soft breeze playing with RAIN’S hair.

MINISTER: Would you like me to say a few words?

I won't draw it out
          I won't stop to cry

RAIN: No… thank you.

Nodding, the MINISTER remains in position. RAIN lifts her hand revealing she is holding a rose. She tosses it at GLORIA’S grave, and shoves her hands into her jacket pockets. RAIN and BELLA link arms and leaves, with the MINISTER following them from behind. The wind picks up a just a bit more as they all leave the cemetery.

So I'll just go on and
          Skip to the healing

CUT TO-
          INT. RAIN’S BEDROOM – NIGHT

The room has finally been decorated to RAIN’S liking. A corkboard hangs over her desk while a small lap provides ample light. The walls are adorned with posters of rock bands, including her drawing sand paintings. Some clothes are on the window seat. Her CD player rests on the dresser near the closet. Parked at the edge of her bed, TV on top of it a wooden trunk. Yet there are still a few boxes waiting to be unpacked.

Sitting cross-legged on the floor, MADELINE is reading large book on witchcraft. In the center of the room, RAIN stands completely still. Her eyes are closed and she has her arms held out straight out before her, palms facing upward.

RAIN: (heaves an irritated sigh) So what exactly am I supposed to do? This isn’t actually as comfy a pose as it was (emphatically) 20 minutes ago.

Not looking up, MADELINE flips more pages back and forth.

MADELINE: (distractedly, concentrating on the book)… I’m not sure… it’s here somewhere…

RAIN opens one eye, revolves it to look at MADELINE.

RAIN: Can I move now?

MADELINE: Wait, please… it’s here… (Finds the passage) ah!

She stands up and reads from the book.

MADELINE: Here -- listen: “If the subject is positioned according to fashion they will able to grasp the Sight and force it to their will.”

MADELINE looks up at RAIN expectantly.

RAIN: (she shakes slightly as her muscles get tired) Uh…Huh? In what country is that English?

MADELINE: Uh… I think it means that if you focus on your powers, it will come forth.

RAIN’S face scrunches a little as she tries to do what MADELINE asks. There is a sudden flash of light followed by a crackle and sizzle. A burst of flame shoot up in the air near RAIN’S feet. Her eyes fly open and she jumps back with a sharp cry. MADELINE, book still in hand, grabs a blanket from a chair and throws it down to quell the flames. A cloud of nasty black smoke wafts up from beneath the blanket.

RAIN: (startled) What… (In a shrill voice) Did I do that? Was that me?

MADELINE looks at the sooty mess on the carpet.

MADELINE: (perplexed; flips through pages) It doesn’t say anything here about fire-raising. I… I don’t get it.

RAIN gives her a look and throws herself on her bed, leans against the wall and puts her hands behind her head. She frowns at the ceiling.

RAIN: (softly; irritated) You don’t have a clue, do you?

MADELINE: (with authority) Well…I… (Beat; admitting defeat) Not exactly, no.

RAIN: (blankly, holding back her disappointment) I mean, I could have burned the apartment or… or… even killed you or Allie -- you don’t know.

MADELINE: (unconvincingly) That’s not true. It was… the recitation was very specific -- n-no killing magicks involved.

RAIN: (skeptically and disappointedly) Yah… sure.

MADELINE moves to the bed, glances awkwardly at RAIN for permission to sit. RAIN nods slightly in assent. She brings herself into more of a sitting position to allow MADELINE some space.

MADELINE: (softly) I don’t know everything--

RAIN: (darkly) –- anything.

MADELINE: (Conceding) --much about you… (Corrects herself) about your Wiccan abilities; that’s true. There’s never been… there’s no precedent –- the Council… -- (with feeling) But I want to learn, to see who you are; to help you to… (Searches for the right word) to master yourself.

RAIN doesn’t move, but she is clearly listening.

MADELINE: You are…unique, Rain. Special.

RAIN: Yeah I am special all right. I’m a ‘freak’.

MADELINE: (assertively) I mean you are special; in the true sense of the word. I feel…

RAIN folds her arms.

MADELINE: (very softly; slightly awkwardly)… honored to have been given the chance to be your Watcher.

At MADELINE’S words, RAIN’S posture softens. She raises her eyes to meet MADELINE'S; she feels guarded, confused. RAIN has no idea how to deal with MADELINE'S open interest and concern for her. MADELINE smiles at her gently.

CUT TO-
          INT. RAIN'S APARTMENT - BEDROOM – MIDNIGHT

Under the covers, RAIN watches TV. The window is open letting in the cold air. She finds herself staring at her bag on a chair near her desk. Her sketch book in the bag is calling her name. Turning off the TV, she approaches her desk, and then pulls out her sketchbook. RAIN selects a pencil, then slowly beings to draw as the camera pans away from her and through the window showing Main Street then the stars and the moon in the sky.

FADE TO BLACK

END OF EPISODE

:: GUEST STARRING ::

Spoiler:
          Allie (Jade Harlow)
          Detective Joshua O’Malley (Jamie Bamber)
          Lachlan (Stephen Lovatt)
          Tanner Dubois (Shane West)

~~~

TRIVIA/FEEDBACK

• I am an artist- which is where Rain gets the artistic side from.

• This episode was originally a part of the pilot. I felt I should split it- so that the theme (starting over) stands out more.

• I did quite a bit of research for the detective scene, what's the protocol and that sort of thing. I wanted the scene to be accurate, believable.

• Some might think the biker vamp fight was a bit too much but for me that was the point. I wanted Rain to feel overwhelmed- hence the number of vamps. I wanted her to feel trapped- wondering how she can get out of this with the emotions of her mother and brother eating up inside. Also- the fight scene was edited after it was released. I looked back and realized some of the lines were cheesy- I was like "what are you thinking"? So I hope I improved the quality of the scene in the cemetery.

• Tanner is loosely based on my brother.

• If you have some questions or feedback- let me know here-Feedbacky. Odelia and I would love to hear from you.

• The next episode 1.03 Eye of the Beholder- you can read the summary in the index before checking out the transcript or if you prefer to just go straight to the episode, click here. Many many thanks for reading!
          Last edited by Obsessed; 06-10-10, 02:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X