RAIN: 1.01 Happy Birthday, Rain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAIN: 1.01 Happy Birthday, Rain

This is a BtVS Spin-off that takes off a year and half after BtVS Season Seven when Willow used the scythe to activate the potential slayers all over the world.

RAIN

Episode: 1.01 Pilot/Happy Birthday, Rain

Created by: Beth (Obsessed)
    Written by: Beth & Odelia (Obsessed & SaltyGoodness)

~ ~ ~

TEASER:

RAIN: (VO) Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

INT. LIVING ROOM AT BUFFY'S HOUSE - DAY

BUFFY is addressing a living room full of potentials and her friends.

BUFFY: So here's the part where you make a choice: What if you could have that power... now? In every generation, one slayer is born... because a bunch of men who died thousands of years ago made up that rule. They were powerful men. This woman (points to WILLOW) is more powerful than all of them combined. (WILLOW whimpers) So I say we change the rule. I say my power... should be our power.

CUT TO-
    MONTAGE - EXT. BASEBALL DIAMOND - DAY

A YOUNG GIRL stands at the plate staring at the pitcher, waiting to bat. She looks a little nervous.

BUFFY: (VO) From now on, every girl in the world who might be a slayer...

CUT TO-
    INT. HIGH SCHOOL HALLWAY - DAY

A TEENAGER breathes heavily as she leans on her locker for support.

BUFFY: (VO) will be a slayer.

CUT TO-
    INT. LIVING ROOM - DAY

A young WOMAN is lying across the floor, having fallen out of her chair.

BUFFY: (VO) Every girl who could have the power...

CUT TO-
    INT. DINING ROOM - DAY

In a Japanese style dining room, an ASIAN WOMAN stands up at family dinner.

BUFFY: (VO) will have the power... can stand up,

CUT TO-
    INT. BASEMENT - DAY

Another YOUNG WOMAN grabs the wrist of a man who's trying to slap her face, preventing him.

BUFFY: (VO) will stand up.

CUT TO-
    EXT. BASEBALL DIAMOND - DAY

The GIRL at the plate changes from nervous to confident, smiling as she waits for the pitch.

CUT TO-
    INT. PRINCIPAL'S OFFICE AT SUNNYDALE HIGH - DAY

WILLOW is performing a spell while holding onto the scythe laid out in front of her. Suddenly, she's overcome with power. She looks up, as the scythe and WILLOW start to glow with a bright white light.

CUT TO-
    EXT. STOCK FOOTAGE OF HAVEN, MASSACHUSETTS - EVENING

We see a small New England town divided by money. Different styled mansions, houses and trailer parks clearly demonstrate where the line is marked. Variety of trees; oak, maple and elm as well as rivers all lead up to a deserted park. November 2004 appears on the screen.

Slowly the camera scans the area from one of the streets that surrounds the deserted park. In the same direction we see, a row of oak trees bordering the front, its leaves rustle in the gentle cold wind. Underneath one of the trees sits a sandbox. Just before the park meets the forest a baseball field with dried patches of grass beckons for attention. There is a swing set, a picnic table, and a turned over trash can near the field. East of the park, few pages of newspaper eerily dance like tumble weed in the empty parking lot.

A GIRL in her teens with long wavy black hair with tints of red is sitting on the swing doodling on her arm. Her rather dark assemble includes a black t-shirt written "Go Away" in bleach, a thin knitted scarf, olive green cargo pants and black combat boots. Like any teenager these days, her fingernails are painted black but the polish is starting to chip. An overused bag made with leftover fabrics rest besides her.

A shadow approaches in front of her.

GIRL: (not looking up) Buzz off.

Standing before the GIRL, there is a 30-something WOMAN dressed in dark gray slacks and a cream blouse. The top button of her blouse is undone while the sleeves are rolled up to her forearms. She carries a soft looking leather satchel, old and much loved. A causal denim-like jacket hangs over it. Her loose, shoulder length blonde hair slightly moves in the breeze. With little perceptible make up, she clearly appears to be a confident woman, yet we are aware she is uncomfortable in this situation. A tiny silver chain and cross can just be seen at her throat. Once she tucks her hair behind her ear, we can see she has on a lightweight silver sports watch. The WOMAN is markedly in contrast to the GIRL in every way.

WOMAN: (insulted) Well, it’s nice to meet you too.

The GIRL still ignores the WOMAN.

WOMAN: (impatient) Excuse me? I need to speak with you. (Beat) My name is Madeline Blake.

MADELINE pulls out a card and hands it to the GIRL. Yet the GIRL doesn’t take it as she looks up at MADELINE who is gesturing her to take the card. With a sigh, the GIRL snatches it and then proceeds to read it.

GIRL: (with an arch brow) Slayer’s Council? Is this some kind of cult?

MADELINE: (affronted) Of course not.

GIRL: (looks at the card again) Uhhh... Mad, whatever you’re selling, I’m not interested.

The GIRL tries to hand back the card but MADELINE ignores her, folding her arms, wearing an almost imperious expression. Soon she realizes she is losing the GIRL’S attention. Quickly the GIRL gets off the swing and picks up her bag. She starts to leave but MADELINE stops her.

MADELINE: (feeling desperate) I know about your powers!

The GIRL dead pans and slowly looks up at MADELINE.

MADELINE: (cont'd) You can’t tell me that you haven’t noticed an increase in your strength? -- Dead men walking around with fangs at night?

The GIRL just stares at MADELINE with a blank face.

MADELINE: (cont'd) You found yourself able to punch through brick walls to release that teenager angst you girls are so fond of and you’ve found out you heal more quickly than usual.

GIRL: (tilts her head; dryly) It was a car door.

MADELINE crosses her brow.

GIRL: (sighs with annoyance, seeing MADELINE doesn’t understand) I hit… the… car… door. (Beat) Not a wall.

MADELINE: Ah. (Looks carefully at the GIRL and nods to herself as if mentally checking off a list)... and you’ve had strange dreams, haven’t you?

The GIRL sits back on the swing, looking at MADELINE. Then she stares at her arm, where she earlier has drawn a vampire on it.

The air is hauntingly silent.

MADELINE: (nervous but in control) I... can help you. You have my card.

MADELINE smiles a little realizing the GIRL isn’t going to listen. Noticing the wind has picked up; MADELINE nods to herself again, clinches onto her bag and walks away. Not looking up, the GIRL gazes at the card. She stuffs it in her bag, stares at the ground for a few minutes, and then licks her thumb smearing the drawing on her arm. After getting off the swing, the GIRL glances over to MADELINE’S direction but finds the WOMAN gone. The GIRL walks in the other way while the swing continues to swing back and forth really fast and then all of the sudden stops.

FADE TO BLACK

END OF TEASER

~ ~ ~

THEME PLAYS – Beautiful Freak by Eels
    OPENING CREDITS ROLL

:: STARRING ::

Rain Mason (Mila Kunis)
    Isabella ‘Bella’ Talmadge (Emily Van Camp)
    Michael Corbis (Michael Vartan)
    Madeline Blake (Bonnie Somerville)

Edited by: Odelia (SaltyGoodness)

Disclaimer: The characters of AtS/BtVS belong to Joss Whedon,
    Mutant Enemy, Sandollar Television, Kuzui Entertainment, 20th Century Fox Television, the WB and UPN. Original characters that weren’t on these shows belong to Odelia & me. Please do not take them without permission.
    Last edited by Obsessed; 06-10-10, 02:01 AM.
    Banner by Digital Leonardo

ACT I

EXT. YELLOW VICTORIAN HOUSE - MORNING

Oak trees surround the gated yellow Victorian house. Two BMWs are parked in the driveway; one black and the other red.

CUT TO-
    INT. BEDROOM - MORNING

Photos of different actors from various teen magazines are tacked all over the walls. A vanity with a large mirror holds a ton of makeup, bottles of hair products and stacks of schoolbooks. Ballet shoes hangs over mirror. There is a noise coming from the walk in closet.

VOICE: (OS) Rain? Are you up?

A TEENAGE GIRL with dark blonde hair wearing pearl earrings, a mint green polo shirt and jeans, is on the floor on all fours, throwing her clothes in the air, looking for her sandals. Eventually, she finds them and triumphs with victory.

BLONDE: (smiles) I found them! Yay!

Still on the floor, the BLONDE puts her sandals on. Then she walks over to the bed, pulls the cover off revealing RAIN, the same GIRL who was on the swing in the teaser. RAIN doesn’t move.

BLONDE: Come on! You gotta go. Mom is gonna have a fit if she knows you slept over on a school night.

From top drawer of her nightstand, the BLONDE retrieves a small box wrapped with all of the trimmings. Slowly RAIN gets up, dressed in a borrowed PJ set, light blue with poodles all over them. With a smile, the BLONDE hands RAIN the box.

BLONDE: Happy Birthday, Rain.

RAIN gives her a look and smiles back. Opening the gift, she is surprised to see a silver bracelet with different charms - a skull, a bone, a bat, a spider and a headstone.

RAIN: (smiles again) Thanks, Bella.

BELLA: (pats RAIN on the head) Welcome, Spaz!

RAIN affects mild irritation but grins back at her sheepishly. Seeing its 7:00 am, BELLA indicates it’s time to go. She leaves the room allowing RAIN to change into the clothes she had on the day before. Moments later, BELLA returns with muffins just as a fully dressed RAIN picks up her bag.

BELLA: (hands her a muffin) We have to be very quiet. Daddy’s gone, but Mom’s still asleep.

Nodding, RAIN puts down the muffin on the dresser. She quickly hooks on the bracelet BELLA just gave her. BELLA grabs her backpack that was resting on a wooden toy chest near the bed. Slowly, trying not to get caught, she opens the door. Eating her muffin, RAIN discreetly follows BELLA out of the house. At the front door steps, BELLA pulls out her keys and presses on the alarm clicker, unlocking the car doors. The GIRLS climb into the red BMW. It slowly backs out and trails off. The camera pans to the house, and we see an OLDER WOMAN with red hair standing in one of the window with a look of disapproval.

CUT TO-
    EXT. HAVEN HIGH SCHOOL - MORNING

Haven High, the town’s only high school is a bit run down but no one seems to care. Its parking lot is paved with gravel. Like any school, there are cliques; the snobby cheerleaders and their football player boyfriends, the nerds who know what RPG means, the slackers covered in tattoos and then there is the group of kids who doesn’t fit into any category.

After BELLA parks her car, the GIRLS get out of the car and walk towards the school. As they get closer to the building, the camera pans over to a group of MALE SKATERS huddling and joking around near the entrance. One of them hollers at RAIN.

BOY: (with a 100 watt grin) Yo freak! It was a full moon last. Did you do any (he waves his fingers in the air) voodoo spells?

He snorts, turning just enough to check if his friends are watching. RAIN doesn’t look at them but BELLA however pushes him. Falling down, the BOY continues to snicker on the ground while his friends laugh along with him.

BELLA: Dork.

Opening the entrance doors, BELLA lets RAIN in. STUDENTS and TEACHERS scramble throughout the halls. Some of the STUDENTS look at the BELLA and RAIN whispering to their FRIENDS as their eyes follows the GIRLS to their locker. Yet, something stops RAIN. Someone has written “freak” on her locker with nail polish.

BELLA: (mutters) Jerks.

She looks at RAIN who is still staring at her locker.

BELLA: (softly) It’s only nail polish. (Bleakly) We can get rid of it.

Not responding back, RAIN opens her locker to get her English textbook. She doesn’t bother putting it in her bag. The school bell rings and promptly all of the students rush to class. BELLA looks at her friend somberly.

BELLA: See you at lunch, birthday girl.

She tries to smile but RAIN just stares at her locker with a blank face. With a slight nod, BELLA runs to class. While holding onto her textbook with one hand, RAIN eventually closes the locker with the other. Unhurriedly she turns around. In the now empty hallway, unbeknownst to RAIN, all of the lockers slowly open one by one as she walks past them.

FADE TO - DREAM SEQUENCE -
    EXT. SUNNYDALE HIGH SCHOOL GROUNDS - MORNING

Sitting on a blanket doing a spell with the scythe in front of her, WILLOW closes her eyes. BUFFY walks up to her and touch her shoulder. From behind, KENDRA come into view and places her hands on BUFFY. Then FAITH shows up, also putting her hands on KENDRA. Just as WILLOW touches the scythe, her hair violently blows in the wind. Soon RONA, VI, KENNEDY and a whole line of new SLAYERS appears behind FAITH.

WILLOW: We changed the world. I can feel them, Buffy. All over. Slayers are awakening everywhere.

Angrily, RAIN marches up to WILLOW, grabbing the scythe and breaks it. All of the sudden the SLAYERS and WILLOW disappear.

CUT TO-
    EXT. FOREST - EVENING

Running through the forest, RAIN hears the leaves crunch underneath her feet as the branches cut her face. She continues to run as fast as she can. Looking over her shoulder RAIN sees a VAMPIRE is following her. Then she trips on the rock and manages to turns around. Trembling with fear, the VAMPIRE grabs her and gets ready to bite her.

VOICE: (OS) Rain? Rain? Ms. Mason!

FLASH TO - PRESENT DAY -
    EXT. ENGLISH CLASS - MORNING

RAIN gasps at her desk. As she gathers her surroundings, she then acknowledges she was having a nightmare. The classroom TEACHER is standing in front of her while the STUDENTS are glaring from behind.

TEACHER: Ms. Mason, this is the third time this week you’ve fallen asleep during my lesson. (Beat) See me after class.

Saying nothing, RAIN shifts uncomfortably in her seat accidently kicking her bag. A wooden stake falls out and rolls on the floor. The rest of the class cranes to see what just happened. A snide of titter can be heard, followed by various whispers. The word “freak” hisses out from somewhere behind her.

TEACHER: Enough!

The TEACHER looks down at the stake and picks it up. Not realizing she left it in her bag, RAIN sighs knowing she is busted.

TEACHER: (in confusion) What is this, a weapon of some kind?

RAIN doesn’t reply. Intrigued the class tries to look over the TEACHER, searching for the stake in her hand. The murmuring starts up again.

TEACHER: (to the CLASS) I said that’s enough! (Turns to RAIN; picks up her bag) We’re going to the principal's office right now. (Beat) Heather, please continue today’s lesson with the class while I am gone.

A perky BLONDE GIRL wearing a yellow t-shirt with “This is my witty comeback” on it gets up and walks over to the TEACHER'S desk. RAIN follows the TEACHER out of the classroom. Ignoring HEATHER, the class begins talking amongst themselves about what just happened.

CUT TO-
    EXT. PRINCIPAL’S OFFICE - MORNING

RAIN is sitting before the PRINCIPAL’S desk. On the edge of it, a nameplate reads: PRINCIPAL JEFFERY REYERS. The desk is quite a bit messy; a bunch of papers with coffee stains, sci-fi books and various comic books are scattered about. A black Stargate: SG-1 coffee mug filled with hot steaming coffee rest on a coaster. Toys from different sci-fi TV series are arranged on top of a bookcase behind the desk. In addition to the toys, there is a framed photo of a MAN with brown hair, a beard and thin-rimmed glasses along with a WOMAN possessing similar looks at the Grand Canyon, smiling.

Soon, the same MAN in the photograph enters and closes the door. In his hand we see a file with RAIN’S name on it. As he sits down, she observes his loosen tie; a pattern of green aliens. He scratches his bears and scans the file. Then he looks up, finds RAIN is staring at him, her face blank but displaying trace of defiance. Taking off his glasses, he clears this throat, walks around the desk and sits on the edge. He looks down at her for a moment.

PRINCIPAL REYERS: Why did you feel the need to bring a wooden stake to school?

RAIN says nothing.

PRINCIPAL REYERS: Are things not going well at home?

RAIN looks down.

PRINCIPAL REYERS: You have been sleeping in class a lot lately, haven’t you? Your grades are suffering. (Beat) Ms. Mason, you used to get A’s in all of your classes, even your art courses. This is not like you at all.

RAIN looks up and stares at the photo of the PRINCIPAL and WOMAN.

PRINCIPAL REYERS: I don’t believe this is really you, Rain.

He returns to his seat, bringing his hands together on top of the desk; when she doesn’t respond, he continues with an air of finality.

PRINCIPAL REYERS: You brought a weapon on school property. I am at the point where I need to take some action in regards to your behavior today.

RAIN sees PRINCIPAL REYERS isn’t happy with the silence between them.

RAIN: (low voice) Do whatever you want.

PRINCIPAL REYERS: (disappointed) Ms. Mason, you’re one of the brightest students here. You’ve excelled in all your subjects until recently. (Beat) You intend to go to art school, don’t you? You need to focus on your future.

RAIN: (looks away) It was taken away from me.

PRINCIPAL REYERS: That’s not true. (Beat) It’s your choice, Rain.

RAIN remains silent, continues to focus on the photo.

PRINCIPAL REYERS: (resigned) I get the impression you don’t care about your future at all. Perhaps some time away from the school will give you some perspective?

RAIN turns to stare at him.

PRINCIPAL REYERS: I’m going to suspend you for two weeks. Your suspension starts today. I’ll inform your parents this afternoon.

RAIN: (darkly) Parent.

PRINCIPAL REYERS: (taken aback) Oh, I am sorry. I forgot. (Beat) Regardless, your mother needs to be informed.

Looking down, RAIN plays with her bracelet. There is a trace of fear in her gesture. While PRINCIPAL REYERS fills out some paper work for RAIN to take home, one of his toys on the bookcase starts to rattle back and forth, and then falls to the floor. RAIN looks confused and slightly alarmed. She glances over to him but he is oblivious, still writing.

CUT TO-
    INT. HALLWAY - MORNING

Outside of BELLA’S classroom, RAIN waits for her. The school bell rings.
    One of the students opens the door with the rest of the class following behind. BELLA heads towards her locker but suddenly notices RAIN is standing behind the door.

BELLA: Rain... what are you doing here?

RAIN: Suspended.

BELLA: Seriously?!

RAIN nods.

BELLA: What happened?

RAIN: My stake fell out of my bag during class.

BELLA: Oh man. Did Ms. Sinclair freak out?

RAIN nods with a sly smile.

RAIN: (tucks her hair behind her ear) I had one of those weird dreams again in class.

BELLA: The witch with the red hair?

RAIN doesn’t respond. With a concerned sigh, BELLA takes RAIN’S arm and together they walk to their lockers.

BELLA: (stops; turns to RAIN) For how long?

RAIN: Two weeks.

BELLA cringes at her friend.

BELLA: Yikes. (Beat) Maybe Mom will let you stay with me. If I explain to her-

RAIN shakes her head.

BELLA: But Rain, what about Jake?

RAIN: I’ll be fine.

BELLA: I really don’t like this.

RAIN shrugs but smiles at her friend knowing she is worried for her.

BELLA: Are you gonna go home?

RAIN: I guess. I’ll walk.

Opening a small section of her backpack, BELLA pulls out her lavender-jeweled cell phone.

BELLA: (hands it to RAIN) Take it.

RAIN objects.

BELLA: Please, just take it. I’ll feel better knowing you have a phone. I’ll just tell Daddy I lost it.

RAIN: (sighs; takes the phone) Thanks.

The school bell rings. BELLA gives her friend a small hug.

BELLA: We’ll get together tonight, okay?

RAIN nods. Now at the entrance doors, she looks over to BELLA, who is having trouble opening her locker. RAIN appears to make a decision, stares at BELLA’S locker for a few seconds. It swings open really fast. Slightly surprised a look of uneasy understanding passes across RAIN’S face. BELLA is startled. She smiles and turns to RAIN’S direction but she has disappeared in the rushing crowd.

FADE TO BLACK

END OF ACT I
    Last edited by Obsessed; 29-12-09, 05:53 AM.

Comment

ACT II

EXT. A SMALL GRAY HOUSE - MORNING

The small gray house on the corner is in need of a serious paint job. Overgrown weeds have attacked the front yard. A beaten down pickup truck is parked in the driveway. RAIN places her hand on the wire fence that surrounds the rundown building. With a sigh, she approaches the steps, opening the screen door and enters the house. The color of her clothing matches the atmosphere inside, cold and dark.

CUT TO-
      INT. KITCHEN - MORNING

RAIN observes that there are dishes in the sink, pots and pans on the stove with food still in it. The linoleum floor is cracked and the cabinets are dirty.
      Empty bottles of alcohol are lined up on counter. An ashtray on the table is overflowing with cigarette butts. The existing appearance in the kitchen doesn’t seem to surprise RAIN. She plops her bag on the table, starts to head for her room but hears her MOTHER’S voice talking softly from her bedroom. Carefully, RAIN leans against the door to listen.

MOTHER: (OS) I did everything you asked me to do. (Beat) I don’t care who you are. I want my money today.

Her MOTHER slams the phone down.

MOTHER: (OS) Jackass.

Quickly, RAIN pace to her bedroom. Her MOTHER opens the door, and walks down the hallway. Just before she enters the kitchen, she sees RAIN is on her bed looking at the ceiling.

MOTHER: I didn’t hear you come in.

RAIN just looks at MOTHER who is wearing a robe and clearly hasn’t showered. Walking over to the sink, her MOTHER retrieves a grubby glass and rinses it.

MOTHER: Did you get the job last night?

RAIN gets up, enters the kitchen and leans against the refrigerator.

RAIN: (crosses her legs) No.

Her MOTHER looks up at RAIN. She sighs and sets the glass on the counter.

MOTHER: Why am I not surprised?

Pouring herself a large scotch, she drinks it in one gulp.

MOTHER: (turns to RAIN) Jake is coming over tonight, so you might want to beat it.

RAIN doesn’t reply.

MOTHER: What are you looking at?

It hasn’t dawn on her MOTHER that she never came home last night and that she is home early on a school day. Confirming that her MOTHER has also indeed forgotten her birthday, she lets it go.

RAIN: Nothing, Mom.

Turning to her room, RAIN hears her MOTHER pour herself another drink. RAIN somberly closes the door.

CUT TO-
      INT. BEDROOM - MORNING

Skilled charcoal drawings of people, old and young are taped to the painted black walls. An old desk is covered with art supplies; plastic cups filled with colored pencils, paint brushes rolled in a sturdy cloth and a clear box of markers. There is a sea of clothes on the floor. RAIN falls into the unmade bed and turns to look at the ceiling again. From the kitchen a radio crackles to life and Same by Snow Patrol wafts into her room; the music gradually fades until we hear-

Maybe somewhere else
      Will not be half as cold as me

Too tired to fight, RAIN lets herself drift to sleep knowing she’ll have the nightmares again.

Baby won’t you breathe
      Baby won’t you breathe

It's the same
      It's the same
      It's the same

The music fades.

FADE TO - DREAM SEQUENCE -

There are flashes of images, various SLAYERS fighting vampires, BUFFY punching HARMONY, FAITH staking a vampire outside of the BRONZE and NIKKI sparring with SPIKE on the subway. Then the images slow down to BUFFY jamming her fist into ADAM’S chest, pulling out his power source.

GILES: (VO; garbled) In all the world... vampires.... a Chosen one… into each generation... with the strength...

Soon after, the camera flashes to KENDRA punching DRUSILLA.

BUFFY: (VO; garbled) Change the rules.... my power... our power... you make a choice... our destiny.... every girl in the world... a slayer... will be a Slayer... stand up... make your choice.

Last the camera flashes to the new slayers killing the TUROK-HAN VAMPIRES in the Hellmouth.

BUFFY: (VO; clearer) Are you ready to be strong?

FLASH TO - PRESENT DAY -
      INT. BED ROOM - EVENING

RAIN shifts her head back and forth in her sleep. Suddenly she wakes up in a sweat. A heavy shuffling noise from outside her room startles her. Now standing in the door way, a drunken MAN wearing a faded gray t-shirt, a pair of jeans covered in car grease and heavy hiking boot mumbles to her.

RAIN: (confused and bleary but assertive) Jake, get out of my room.

JAKE: No one tells me what to do, last of all you, girl.

Swiftly RAIN gets up as he approaches her, trying to kiss her. She reacts to the smell of booze on his breath.

RAIN: You’re drunk. Get off!

JAKE gets rougher with RAIN, attempts to kiss her again. When she pushes him, he falls to the floor and she runs out of her room.

CUT TO-
      INT. KITCHEN – EVENING

He runs after RAIN, grabs her arm and twirls her around, shoving her up against the refrigerator.

RAIN: Get off! You’re hurting me!

RAIN body writhes trying to escape from his grasp but he scoffs at her with a laugh. The moment he pushes himself against her again, she suddenly freezes but RAIN is visibly shaking with a mixture of fear, repulsion and anger.

RAIN: Let me go or I’ll--

JAKE: (interrupts) --what? What are you gonna do? (He nuzzles her neck) Huh?

Closing her eyes for a moment, she gathers some strength into herself.

RAIN: This.

Without moving, RAIN throws JAKE across the room. His body hits the window over the sink. Then he crashes into the sink, falling to the floor. There is blood on the window and the back of his head. Slowly as JAKE recovers, he looks at her in amazement. Shocked at the violent reaction to what just happened, RAIN looks at her hands.

JAKE: What the hell?

He touches the back of his head, his fingers covered with blood. Smearing his hand on his jean, JAKE then picks himself up. He staggers approaching RAIN who is motionless. JAKE punches her in the face, cutting her lip. After he grabs her, he tosses her in the air, only to pick her up again, throwing her over to the kitchen table, making a loud impact. RAIN rolls off of it and lands on the floor.

JAKE: We’re gonna end this, little girl.

Behind the table, RAIN slowly stands up as her hair hangs over her face. Only one of her eyes is visible. It grows an uncanny white. Confused in his drunken state but clearly maddened, he scowls at her. JAKE begins to stumble toward RAIN. Flicking her head and her hair back, RAIN adopts a fighting stance, attempting to look him down. She appears very small next to his lumbering bulk.

RAIN: (jumps on the table) Yes we are. Only, I’m gonna end it.

RAIN kicks JAKE in the face with her boot. His head twists violently to the left. Then she gets off the table and punches him, kneeing him in the stomach. For a few good minutes, RAIN beats JAKE without stopping. She appears totally mindless, caught up in beating her tormentor as his face bleeds. Falling to the floor, JAKE barely catches his breath. Instantaneously, RAIN stands, backs up to the wall by the refrigerator. Even though her body is shaking, her face is empty.

At the doorway, her MOTHER stands holding a bag of groceries. The look of horror overwhelms her face as she sees JAKE on the floor. Dropping the bag, she rushes to his side.

MOTHER: Jake, baby? (She looks up at Rain with venom) What have you done?

Upset at her MOTHER’S response and desperate for some empathy from her, RAIN defends herself.

RAIN: He was hurting me.

MOTHER: I had enough! You’re out of here!

Hurt by her MOTHER’S words, RAIN fights her tears. Her MOTHER grabs a dishcloth from the counter, tenderly touches the wounds all over JAKE’S face.

RAIN: But Mom...

RAIN’S voice is small, plaintive. Opening crying now, she wraps her arms around herself.

RAIN: (cont'd) ... he was in my bedroom.

Her MOTHER glances up at RAIN.

MOTHER: You’re not my daughter.

Thunder rumbles in the sky.

RAIN: (hurt) Mom?

MOTHER: You’re not listening to me.

RAIN stares at her in confusion.

RAIN: What... what are you talking about?

MOTHER: (angrily) You’re not my daughter! Get of here! Don’t you ever come back!

Struggling to hold herself together, RAIN looks around for her bag. Once she finds it, she runs out of the house. Music fades in, we hear I Was Never Hear by Baby Bird.

We were happy being stupid, happy being dumb,
      Sad not being happy, happy having fun.

Within minutes, it starts to pour. RAIN stops walking and turns back at the house.

And the rain comes down and makes a fool out of us.
      We wet our hair and murder the raindrops
      Oh but we don't hear it coming, we don't hear it coming

As she looks down on the ground, she listens and watches the water hit the pavement

I won't say goodbye, because I was never here.
      And I won't say hello, because it wouldn't be true.

Pulling herself together, RAIN straightens up and continues forward.

I I I was never here, never here, never here.
      I I I was never here, never here, never here.
      I I I was never here, was never here, never here.

FADE TO BLACK

END OF ACT II
      Last edited by Obsessed; 12-09-09, 01:23 AM.

Comment

ACT III

EXT. DOVER ROAD - EVENING

Still pouring, RAIN looks wretched walking in the middle of Dover Road. She clings onto her bag to keep it dry as possible but her hair is dripping wet. The thunder rumbles and lightning flickers across the pitch-black sky. Suddenly, she stops and finds herself at the same deserted park where she met MADELINE BLAKE. RAIN’S eyes gazes over to the swing.

MADELINE: (VO; echoes) I can help you.

Using one of the oak trees in front of the park as shelter, she leans on the trunk and looks at the swing again. Just as the puts her bag down by the tree, she hears a voice from behind.

MAN: (OS) Now, I ask myself, what’s a young girl like yourself doing out here on such a nasty night?

RAIN swings around and finds a MAN with black hair, dressed in a leather jacket, collar shirt, jeans and boots standing before her. He is smoking a cigarette. She takes a step backward.

MAN: Want a smoke? You look like you could use one.

The MAN gives her a not so genuine smile.

MAN: (flicks his cigarette with his second finger and thumb) Oh the hell with it, I hate small talk.

His forehead slowly forms ridges and bumps as his eyes turn yellow. Baring his fangs, he again gives RAIN the same smile. Hurriedly, RAIN grabs for her bag, hitting him with it but she stumbles back. He realizes RAIN is physically and emotionally exhausted. Using this to his advantage, he grabs her, throws her against the tree. She attempts to hit him. The rain starts to pour even harder. It’s not clear whether or not her face is wet from tears or if it’s from the cold rain.

VAMPIRE: Oh, I do love the chicks that try to fight. (RAIN doesn’t respond)

RAIN doesn’t respond.

VAMPIRE: Oh, you’re the silent type, eh? I love the quiet one (Leans forward) … especially when they’re squirming underneath me.

RAIN tries to knee him but he grabs her leg, pulls her causing her to lose her balance. With a loud thump, she falls to the muddy ground. Grimacing in pain, there is an impression she is crying again. Before the VAMPIRE can touch her, she gets up and runs in the other direction, still holding onto her bag. She whips her head around to look for him. Effortlessly, he still pursues her. Her head still over her shoulder, she abruptly disappears out of frame as she trips over a sandbox. RAIN wipes off the sand off her face.

Sauntering over to her, the VAMPIRE hooks his fingers into the belt loop of his pants. Stepping one foot onto the edge of the sandbox, he survey his prey lasciviously. More fatigued than before, RAIN’S body prevents her to from getting up. The VAMPIRE straddles her; softly he lifts her hair away from her neck.

VAMPIRE: (whispers; prepares to bite her) This will hurt… but just for a minute.

RAIN: (suddenly bold) Actually, you should know I’m the violent type and this is gonna (using her remaining strength she has left, knees him once more)… hurt you even more.

Stumbling back, the VAMPIRE groans. Punching him in the face, before grabbing her bag, RAIN runs across the park. He struggles to his feet. Sand covers his face as he spits some of it out of his mouth. Turning around angrily, he realizes RAIN is nowhere in sight.

VAMPIRE: Bitch.

CUT TO-
        EXT. MAIN STREET - EVENING

Running against the hard wind and pouring rain, RAIN looks back seeing the VAMPIRE is no longer chasing her. She slows down a bit, finds refuge underneath a door frame of a restaurant called “Michael’s Haven”. Breathing hard, she touches her neck and concedes she lost her knitted scarf in the park. Gathering her surroundings, RAIN looks around, observes she is in the middle of a business district on Main Street. The camera pans back to the restaurant. In the corner of the window there is a help wanted sign is taped to the window from the inside. Inching back, RAIN sees there are apartments above the restaurant.

She becomes aware of her reflection in the glass door. Her hair is lank and filled with sand. Smudges of eye shadow and eyeliner are all over her face. Turning around, RAIN leans against the restaurant door to rest and collect her thoughts.

A squad car pulls up and flicks its lights. RAIN attempts to shrink into the limited shadow that the doorway provides but the OFFICER sees her. Assuming she’s a runway looking for a place to sleep, he cautiously approaches her.

OFFICER: You can’t sleep here. This is private property. (Beat) How old are you ma’am?

RAIN: Eighteen.

OFFICER: May I see some identification?

Bending down to rummage through her damp bag, RAIN pulls out her driver’s license. He scans it. We can see her birth date and a photo of her displaying a gentle smile. The image barely resembles the RAIN standing before us now.

OFFICER: (almost sympathetically) Ah, it’s your birthday. (Hands it back to her) Happy Birthday.

RAIN doesn’t respond.

OFFICER: I just needed to make sure you were not a minor. Sometimes we get runaways around here this time of night. (Beat) There is homeless shelter just a few blocks down. Why don’t I take you there?

RAIN: No thanks.

RAIN and the OFFICER are interrupted by a MAN’S voice.

MAN: (OS) What seems to be the problem here?

The OFFICER turns to see who the voice belongs to and recognizes him. RAIN examines the MAN, who has brown hair which is a little wet from the rain but he clearly doesn’t care. He is wearing a blue gray collar shirt, faded jeans and brown shoes as he holds onto his groceries.

OFFICER: Mr. Corbis, I found this young lady trespassing. (Turns to RAIN) He owns this place but don’t you worry about that. You picked a lucky doorway. He helps people like you.

Nodding back to the OFFICER, CORBIS smiles at RAIN. He notices she is roughed up and is clearly underdressed for the weather.

CORBIS: Why don’t you come inside? Get out of this rain for a bit. I can make you some coffee.

RAIN just stares at him. She is clearly suspicious of his generosity.

OFFICER: (seeing her expression) Look, Mr. Corbis is a decent guy. Like I said he’s always helping out young folks like you. I’d take his offer. (He gives CORBIS a friendly grin) And his coffee’s not too bad.

CORBIS laughs. Then he pulls out a set of keys, opens the door and gestures for RAIN to go inside the restaurant. She reluctantly walks in. The OFFICER tips his hat good-bye to CORBIS.

CUT TO-
        INT. MICHAEL’S HAVEN - RESTAURANT & BAR - EVENING

Putting his keys back in his pocket, he quickly clicks on the light at the right side of the entrance. CORBIS pushes a few buttons on the alarm keyboard.

CORBIS: (still holding onto groceries) I’ll be right back.

Looking around the restaurant, RAIN clutches onto her bag checking out the establishment. Beautiful hardwood paneling cover the entire floor. The brick walls are adorned with vintage items and black and white photographs of Haven, Massachusetts. On the right side, we see a bar where the patrons drink and sometimes eat. Behind it are thick wooden shelves that hold glasses varying in size and a row of bottles of alcohol.

RAIN spots tables and chairs to her left. In the back of the building, there is a lounge area with a large leather sofa and a coffee table. A display of photos of customers who have eaten at the restaurant hangs on the wall. Next to the sofa, we can see there is a doorway that leads to the restrooms, kitchen, storage room, walk in refrigerator and MICHAEL’S office.

CORBIS returns with a clean hunter green t-shirt with white lettering that says “Nevrvetti’s Pizzeria” and a pair of gray sweatpants.

CORBIS: (hands them to her) The restroom is in the back. I’ll make that coffee for you unless you’d prefer hot chocolate?

RAIN: (slowly takes the clothes) Coffee is fine. Thanks.

While she heads to the ladies room, CORBIS turns on the coffee maker after adding the beans and water. Underneath the bar, he gets two white mugs, setting them on the counter. To pass the time, he cleans up a bit while listening to the stereo behind the bar. Strains of Forest by The Feelers filter very softly through the room. RAIN returns dressed in his clothes, leaving her shoes in the bathroom. She is holding onto her bag. CORBIS looks up and smiles.

RAIN: I... I hung my clothes in the bathroom... to dry.

CORBIS: That’s fine. I do have dryer.

RAIN stares at him in confusion.

CORBIS: (by way of explanation) I own the apartments above the restaurant. I stay in the attic.

RAIN walks up to the bar and puts her bag on a stool. We hear:

And I wish I could see, cause then I just might believe
        That everything’s alright if I was still with you

RAIN: Attic?

CORBIS: Yeah, it’s been remodeled into an apartment. It has everything I need. I rent out the other apartments to the staff.

RAIN: Oh.

She looks around the room, clearly uncomfortable. Handing her a cup of coffee he has now poured, he fetches for the creamer and a few packets of sugar. CORBIS indicates that she should sit. RAIN does so, eagerly drinks her coffee. He stays behind the bar, drinking his as well. Carefully he observes her.

Run, run, run, the trees are falling down
        Run, run, run, the trees are falling down
        Oh my head, hold my head, Oh my head
        The trees are falling down

CORBIS: Are you hungry? I can make you something.

He hands her the menu.

CORBIS: Anything you want.

Silently, RAIN continues to sip her coffee but doesn’t touch the menu. Her posture reveals how tired she is.

RAIN: (guarded, looking up at him) Uh... Mr. Corbis, why are you being nice to me?

CORBIS: Please, call me Michael. Mr. Corbis makes me sound like a teacher at Haven High. (Beat) Well, you look like you had a bad day. I can relate.

RAIN raises her eyebrows, doubting him.

MICHAEL: I’ve had plenty of them. Like Officer Kelly said, I take in runaways from time to time.

He sips his coffee and sets it behind him.

MICHAEL: So… shall I make you something to eat? The Haven Burger is our signature. It’s really good.

RAIN: Gotta be better than Doublemeat Palace.

MICHAEL: (grins) I guarantee it.

RAIN nods with a soft smile and drinks another gulp of her coffee. Just then MICHAEL leaves to go to the kitchen. The camera slowly zooms out from where RAIN is sitting and we are shown RAIN is completely alone in the restaurant. The sound of the storm can be heard outside.

God is watching, God is feeling
        Guard my actions and guard my feelings
        And if I stand here, will I hear the trees fall down or will I bend

CUT TO-
        INT. BELLA’S HOUSE - DINING ROOM – EVENING

The crown moldings and deep red oriental carpet defines the grand dining room. Its curtains are made out of silk, the finest fabrics from India. A chandelier with Swarovski crystals hangs in the middle of the room. There is a large mahogany table with the best dishes, silverware and Irish crystal ware on it. A MAN who has black hair with touches of gray and a chiseled face sits at the head of the table. He is wearing a Brook Brothers white collar shirt, a pin-striped gray tie, a pair of black slacks and black shoes. The same WOMAN we saw in the window watching BELLA and RAIN leave this morning for school is at his right side. BELLA is at the MAN’S left.

A servant approaches the MAN and asks if he would like some more wine. He declines as he cuts into his filet mignon. The air is thick with silence broken only by the rasping and scathing noises of expensive cutlery against fine porcelain. BELLA keeps looking at her watch worried about RAIN.

MAN: Do you have plans, this evening Isabella?

BELLA is caught off guard and almost knocks over her water glass.

BELLA: Uh…sorry, Daddy?

FATHER: You keep looking at your watch. It’s not polite.

BELLA: I apologize.

The WOMAN wearing a cream silk blouse, black skirt and a pair of black Jimmy Choo shoes plays with her pearl necklace while glaring at BELLA as she knows why her mind is elsewhere. She leans over to BELLA’S father.

WOMAN: Warren, it’s that strange friend of hers. I’m sure that’s what this is all about.

WARREN looks at the WOMAN and pats his mouth with a linen napkin.

WARREN: What friend are you referring to, Sheridan?

BELLA eyes widen.

SHERIDAN: You know very well who I am talking about; that Mason girl who dresses in black all the time. (To BELLA) She does witchcraft, doesn’t she?

BELLA laughs nervously.

BELLA: Mother, what have you been watching? Of course Rain isn’t into witchcraft. She is just different.

SHERIDAN: (sternly) I know Rain slept over last night. I saw you leave the house with her this morning.

WARNER signals the servant to take his plate away and looks at BELLA.

WARNER: Is this true?

BELLA looks down at her plate.

BELLA: (quietly) Well… yes…

WARNER: I thought we agreed not to have your friends sleep over on a school night. It interferes with your studies.

BELLA: Well, Mother and you agreed. I didn’t really have a choice in the matter.

WARNER: (low voice) Isabella.

BELLA: I’m sorry. It’s just... Rain needed a place stay. Some horrible stuff is happening to her right now.

The servant returns to take SHERIDAN and BELLA'S plates.

SHERIDAN: (sharply) This "horrible stuff", as you put it, is happening to you, Bella. I think you should stop seeing this friend of yours. She’s clearly a bad influence on you.

BELLA: (irritated; she has clearly heard this before) Mother, please. You don’t know her. You’ve never even said more than two words to her. How do you know what she’s like? And what--

WARNER: (interrupting; firmly) --Alright.

Now standing behind the chair, WARNER places his hand on the back of it.

WARNER: Let’s just table this for now and we’ll discuss it tomorrow. (Beat) Isabella, I think you should stay in for the evening.

BELLA starts to protest but her father gives her a look. The servant returns with dessert and coffee. Sulking in her chair, BELLA surreptitiously sneaks a look at her watch, still worried for RAIN. Abruptly SHERIDAN gets out of her chair and strides out of the room, glowering at her husband as she passes him. He ignores her, and then looks over to BELLA who is eating her dessert.

CUT TO-

Placing her burger and fries on the counter, MICHAEL hands her at bottle of ketchup. Hungrily, RAIN bites into her burger, juices drip from her chin. Despite the strangeness of the situation, the warm atmosphere and soft music are in marked contrast to the previous scene at BELLA'S home.

MICHAEL: More coffee or would you like a soda?

RAIN: (wipes her chin) Soda.

MICHAEL nods with a smile and pours her a glass of Coke. Finishing up his coffee, he leans against the counter behind him, crossing his arm. RAIN pops a fry into her mouth.

MICHAEL: So, where are you from?

RAIN: (clears her throat) Why do you want to know? (Beat; she looks a little chastened; takes a sip of her soda) Um… Haven.

MICHAEL: (ignoring her initial response) Oh, you’re from around here. I take it you go to Haven High?

Noticing his close scrutiny is unnerving RAIN, he picks up a clean tea towel, sets about polishing some clearly already polished glasses, avoiding eye contact.

RAIN: Yes... I'm a senior.

MICHAEL: Does Mrs. Hurst still teach music?

RAIN: Yeah.

MICHAEL: Huh. Every time I saw her in the hallways, she was carrying an instrument of some kind. I always had to help her carry them to her classroom.

RAIN: She still does. I always tried to avoid her.

MICHAEL gives a soft chuckle. Half way done with her burger, RAIN now feels dry and well fed, she again begins to feel out of place and uncomfortable. She eats a couple more fries.

MICHAEL: So how old are you?

RAIN: (defiantly) I’m old enough. (Beat) Eighteen.

MICHAEL: (bluntly) Where do your parents live?

RAIN moves to stand up, staring at him coldly.

RAIN: Listen, thanks for… but I’m not--

MICHAEL: (softly; puts down his towel) Hey. I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to bombard you with the Spanish Inquisition.

RAIN heads toward the bathroom, presumably to recover her stuff.

MICHAEL: (calling after her) Where are you gonna go? You need somewhere to stay, right? It’s raining and it’s cold out there.

RAIN stops at the doorway, knowing what he’s saying is true.

MICHAEL: If you need a place to stay, there is a couch in my office. I’ve slept on it myself. It’s pretty comfy.

RAIN: (facing the doorway, away from Michael; slowly) No, really you’ve been nice enough. I am sure I can--

MICHAEL: (interrupts) Please stay. I insist.

RAIN thinks for a minute.

RAIN: (awkwardly; shoves her hands in her pockets) Okay… but only for tonight.

MICHAEL: Great.

RAIN: (roughly) Just so we’re clear… I’m not a runaway.

MICHAEL: Ok… duly noted.

She faces him, arms folded, chin held up high, returning to the counter. RAIN sits down and finishes her meal just as MICHAEL resumes polishing.

CUT TO-
        INT. MICHAEL’S OFFICE – EVENING

There is a row of bookcases on the back gray walls but the walls themselves are not decorated. Parked at the end of the room, is an old desk with a computer, as well as papers and stacks of files. The morning newspaper is open to the sports page and on top of that is an electronic calculator waiting to pay the bills.

On the other side of other room is a brown leather couch, where we see sheets, a blanket and a pillow on it ready for sleep. A desk lamp rest on an antique trunk provides little warm-toned light.

MICHAEL: This is it. There’s an extra blanket in the trunk if it’s not enough.

RAIN walks to the couch and sits on it, putting her bag on the floor.

MICHAEL: I’ll dry your clothes. If you’ll still hungry, help yourself in the kitchen.

MICHAEL walks to desk finds his business card among the piles of papers. Before handing it to her, he writes on the back of it.

MICHAEL: (hands it to her) Just so you know, I’m Kosher.

RAIN: (looks up at him, confused) You’re Jewish?

MICHAEL: (laughs) No, I mean…uh… (He lets it go and indicates the card) My home phone number is on that card. Just ring me if you need anything.

MICHAEL looks at his watch. It’s 11:59 pm.

MICHAEL: (backing off toward the door) Well, I’ll see you in the morning.

RAIN gives him a soft smile and he in turn smiles back, leaving her alone in his office. Arranging her bed, she puts the sheets on the sofa, fluffs up her pillow. After placing the pillow on the arm rest, RAIN slips under the covers. Then she reaches for her bag and pulls out BELLA’S cell phone. Clicking on a few buttons, RAIN sees there are five missed calls and its now 12:00 am. She puts the phone back in the bag, then lies down, covering herself with the blanket. As she stares at the ceiling, a tear rolls down her cheek.

RAIN: (closes her eyes; whispers) Happy Birthday, Rain.

CUT TO-
        INT. RAIN’S HOUSE - KITCHEN - EVENING

RAIN’S MOTHER is on the phone looking out the window while JAKE is lying on the bed asleep or unconscious. His breathing is ragged and his face is swollen.

MOTHER: Don’t blame this on me! (Beat; listening to other line) She was beating the crap out of my boyfriend with her... powers! What was I supposed to do? (Beat; listening) Please… I need the money. (Beat; listening) Wait... wait! What’ll I do if she comes back?

The other line clicks and as she drops the phone down from her ear, the dial tone can be heard. She looks terrified.

FADE TO BLACK

END OF ACT III
        Last edited by Obsessed; 13-09-09, 04:12 AM.

Comment

ACT IV

INT. MICHAEL’S OFFICE - MORNING

It’s nine in the morning and RAIN slowly wakes up, almost forgetting where she is but seeing her clothes folded on the trunk and her boots near her bag reminds her. She is surprised by the quietness in the air, as she is not used to it. Upon getting up, RAIN folds her sheets and blanket, putting the pillow on top. Just then, MICHAEL enters the office with a bag and iced mocha from Starbucks. He is wearing a black t-shirt with the restaurant logo on it, a pair of jeans and brown shoes.

RAIN: Morning. (Beat) I’ll be out of here soon.

MICHAEL: Don’t be silly. (Hands her the bag and drink) I figured you might like something from Starbucks. It’s right around the corner.

RAIN: Thanks.

Smiling, RAIN takes the food from him.

MICHAEL: I need to do a few things before the lunch hour. (Beat) Listen, I was thinking… if you’re looking for a job, I have an opening. You’d be doing me a favor.

RAIN: Yah, I saw the help wanted sign. (Beat) What kind of job? I don’t really… (Her voice trails off)

MICHAEL: Oh, you know, serving, a bit of waiting. I am sure you’ll be good at it. I can have one of the staff members train you. (Beat) I can’t pay you much, but I can let you have an apartment upstairs in a couple of days at a reduced rent, since Kinsey is moving on. It’s her job you’ll be taking over.

RAIN: Oh. I guess…

She looks almost defeated, but is still wary of MICHAEL. A variety of emotions pass over her face in the next few seconds: defiance, surrender, pain and finally, release, as she decides to accept his offer clearly going against her nature.

RAIN: I’ll... take it.

MICHAEL claps his hands and rubs them gently together.

MICHAEL: Great. That’s great. (Seeing her hesitant expression) I mean, you’ll be helping me out, Kinsey leaving and everything. The apartment isn’t much… but it’ll be your own space.

RAIN: It... sounds good.

MICHAEL: All right, then. You’ll have to share with Allie for a bit. A little fair warning about her, she shouts out random sentences but she’s really cool.

He gives a small laugh but RAIN just looks at him.

MICHAEL: Okay then. I’m gabbling, aren’t I?

RAIN grants him a grin. There is the tension of a sudden connection between them.

MICHAEL: (breaking the moment) Anyway… Kinsey should be out of the apartment by Saturday. In the meantime… uh… well, you’re welcome to claim the office. I’ll give you the keys later. You can hang out at the bar or do whatever you need to do before moving in. And… you can start tonight or in a couple of days, it’s up to you.

RAIN: Mr. Corb-- I mean Michael… thank you.

He sees it was hard for her to express her gratitude.

MICHAEL: No problem.

Leaving to her breakfast, he nods at her. RAIN sits back down on the couch and sips her mocha. It’s a little watered down as the some of the ice has melted but she enjoys it anyway. She takes the coffee cake out of the bag and excitedly eats it.

CUT TO-
          EXT. RAIN’S HOUSE – MORNING

Standing in the shadow of a tree a few yards beyond her house on the other side of the road, RAIN observes a police car parked nearby. The rain has stopped, but a cold wind slices through her thin t-shirt. An ambulance and another police car appear simultaneously toward the house. Shivering a bit, she clutches onto her bag. A group of NEIGHBORS huddle whispering to each other. RAIN stays behind the tree trying not to let anyone see her but she is close enough to hear them.

FIRST NEIGHBOR: Do you know what happened?

SECOND NEIGHBOR: I heard someone was murdered.

Two POLICE OFFICERS walk out of the house holding onto a handcuffed JAKE who is covered in blood.

JAKE: (resisting the OFFICERS) I didn’t kill her! I swear!

The OFFICERS lead him to one of the cars while he continues to protest his innocence. They open the door and push him inside. Slowly the police car drives away. Soon after, PARAMEDICS emerge from the house pushing a body bag on a stretcher. RAIN gasps when she realizes it’s her MOTHER inside. She can’t fight her tears this time. Running away from the NEIGHBORS, she then violently throws up. Someone touches her back. As she wipes her mouth, RAIN turns to see its BELLA.

BELLA: (somberly) Rain…

RAIN wraps her arms around BELLA and clings on to her as she sobs uncontrollably.

BELLA: Oh, god… Rain. I’m so sorry about your mom. Shh... It’s okay.

Stroking RAIN’S hair, BELLA notices it’s full of sand. RAIN pulls back a bit while BELLA wipes her eyes.

BELLA: (softly, shocked and concerned) What… where have you been? I’ve been calling you all last night. I came over to find you and I found all this… (She indicates in the direction of the house) I’ve been so worried.

Stepping out of BELLA’S embrace, RAIN slides down against a tree, oblivious to the wet earth. BELLA slips down beside her, grasping RAIN’S hand into her own.

RAIN: Do you know why he killed her? I mean... when she kicked me out last night, he was so weak after I… (Looks down in shame) beat him.

BELLA'S eyes widen in shock and horror at RAIN'S admission, but she hides her feelings.

BELLA: Uh… No I don’t….

Unsure how much to tell her friend BELLA reluctantly continue on.

BELLA: I just heard from the neighbors when they found him he was… covered with blood. They found a knife.

Closing her eyes, RAIN shudders and begins to rock.

BELLA: (puts her arm around RAIN) Let me take you to my house.

The other police car and ambulance pulls way; the NEIGHBORS drift off in different directions returning to their homes. We see RAIN fall into BELLA'S lap and BELLA stroke her hair again. There is the sound of the wind picking up.

BELLA: (very softly) Come on, come with me.

RAIN: No, I have... a place.

BELLA: (confused) You do? (Beat) You need some clothes. You can shower at my house and I’ll give you a couple of my outfits.

RAIN: (muffled, her head is buried in Bella’s lap) No lavender.

BELLA: (laughs softly) Or flowers.

RAIN: (snuffles) Or butterflies.

BELLA: Better yet, we’ll use Daddy’s card. Let’s get out of here before the cops find you, mm?

CUT TO-
          INT. HAVEN POLICE DEPT - LOCKER ROOM – MORNING

A couple of POLICE OFFICERS are in the locker room. The FIRST OFFICER has his cell phone out and seems to be waiting for the SECOND OFFICER to finish up. Soon he does as he close his locker. Immediately, the FIRST OFFICER hits the dial button and put the phone to his ear.

FIRST OFFICER: (a VOICE answers) Yes. I took care of it. (Beat; listening to other line) He’s been arrested. They’re sure he did it. (Beat; listening) Yes, sir.

He hangs up and walks out of the locker room, looking slightly ruffled, but pleased with himself.

CUT TO-
          INT. MICHAEL’S OFFICE – EVENING

Aimlessly moving around the room, RAIN seems at a loss. There is a muffled sound coming from the restaurant, chatter and laughter. RAIN crosses her arms, feeling the new shirt that BELLA bought her, in addition to the new jeans and boots. Trying to calm down, RAIN lies on the couch, arms behind her head and looks at the ceiling. She frowns when she thinks of her mother.

MOTHER: (VO) You’re not my daughter.

Agitated, RAIN gets up decides to patrol, retrieving a stake from her bag.

RAIN: (whispers; plays with the stake) Thanks Bella.

RAIN throws on an Army jacket; she puts the stake in the pocket and leaves the room.

CUT TO-
          EXT. DESERTED PARK – EVENING

Clearly, RAIN is hoping to find the same VAMPIRE she fought the night before. Slightly nervous, she fiddles with the stake. Sure enough, she sees him smoking, leaning against one of the trees. Putting her stake back in her pocket, she approaches him.

RAIN: (clears her throat) Hey… how about we finish this?

Turning to see who is talking to him, the VAMPIRE smiles menacingly. He smashes his cigarette against the tree.

VAMPIRE: You again. (Beat) You‘re on.

RAIN and the VAMPIRE circle each other on the street, waiting for one of them to make the first move. She is focused, concentrating hard; we can see she is still unsure of herself. Unaware that she is the SLAYER, the VAMPIRE lunges at her. As he gets close enough, RAIN grabs his shoulders and pushes him down slightly. In a crashing blow, she brings her forehead against his. He stumbles backward.

VAMPIRE: (shocked, rubbing his forehead) Hey! That hurt! What are you playing at?

He growls, rights himself and lunges at her again. Deftly, she steps out of his way and he lurches forward landing sprawled on his face at her feet. She folds her arms. There is a close up of RAIN'S face as she finds confidence in her slayer powers.

RAIN: (newly confident) What? I had to spend hours washing the sand out of my hair this morning. You think I was just going to let you get away with that?

The VAMPIRE is shocked at the strength of her flippant comment. A look of recognition passes over him as he struggles to get up.

VAMPIRE: (gasps) You’re a slayer!

RAIN: What else would I be?

In a flash, RAIN has straddled him, one foot on each side of his jacket so that he is pinioned to the concrete. She reaches for her stake from her jacket. Swiftly the VAMPIRE knocks it out of hand. Unnerved, her confidence melting away again, she loses her balance slightly and he pushes her over. As she falls, she bites her tongue.

The VAMPIRE is now standing up. He runs at her again, but she kicks him in the groin. He winces. Flipping herself off the pavement, RAIN touches her tongue, its bleeding. She glares at him.

VAMPIRE: I’ve always wanted to kill a slayer. There are far too many in this world.

RAIN: Is that right? (Beat) Too bad you’ll never get to live that particular dream.

Making a decision, RAIN runs away luring him to the picnic table passing the trees and sandbox. The VAMPIRE saunters towards her. She picks up the trash can and hurls it across hitting him full in the torso with a loud clang. Garbage flies out and falls splattering all over him. RAIN leaps onto the table. Enraged, the VAMPIRE brushes off the garbage, approaches her. He grabs one of her legs to pull her down, forcing her to lose her balance.

VAMPIRE: You’re just making this way too easy for me.

After kicking him in the face, RAIN gets up. He fumbles back but regains his composure and jumps on the table, joining her. RAIN reaches across and punches him square across the jaw. He hardly flinches and picks her up throwing her off the table. Her body lands near the swing set.

VAMPIRE: (now near her) This is your best shot?

RAIN: No… (Swings her leg up, hitting him square in his stomach) this is.

He grunts in pain, falling backward, his head hits the bar of the swing set. His eyes open, he stays on the ground. By the time he has recovered enough energy to get up, RAIN has straddled him again. Her face is assertive and stronger than we have ever seen. She lifts her right hand. It’s trembling as the rings of her eyes glow white. The stake she dropped earlier flings up in the air and rapidly flies to her hand. The VAMPIRE is taken aback by what he sees.

VAMPIRE: (cocks his head, unsure and frightened): What…?

RAIN: Let’s get one thing straight (she grabs his collar with one hand and pulls him up to meet her gaze)… I got exactly three things going for me in my life at the moment. (She rolls her eyes as she mentally ticks them off) One of them is my hair (she grips the stake, looks thoughtful)… and one is this amazing magic whammy I seem to have… and (Mockingly, as if just remembering) oh yeah… the third one is my skills with (she stakes him, his eyes widen in horror) this.

The VAMPIRE bursts into dust. Twirling the stake in her hand, she puts it back in her jacket. Slowly RAIN gets up, dusting herself off. Looking around, she then heads for the restaurant. For the first time, she has an air of self-confidence. It is clear that she has made some kind of mental decision.

On the other side of the park, beyond the baseball field, there is a limo with the back window open. Whoever is inside, observes RAIN walking away from the swing set. The windows rolls up and limo drives away.

CUT TO-
          EXT. MICHAEL’S HAVEN - RESTAURANT & BAR - EVENING

Strolling up to the main entrance, RAIN enters the restaurant just as MICHAEL is closing up inside.

CUT TO-

The restaurant stereo is on low. An instrumental song is playing.

MICHAEL: (wiping down the counter; turns to face her) Hey, there.

RAIN: Hi.

RAIN sits down at the bar. There is a half empty bowl of nuts on the counter. Hungry after a good fight, she helps herself. MICHAEL grins.

MICHAEL: Are you ready to start tomorrow?

RAIN: Yah, sure.

MICHAEL: Great. (Beat) You look like you’re doing better.

RAIN: (smiles) Yeah, I’m… (Searches for a phrase) five by five.

MICHAEL gives her a confused look.

MICHAEL: Okay... I am gonna take that as a good thing.

RAIN: (smiles and nods) It’s a good thing.

He nods back at her and tosses his dish cloth on the counter.

MICHAEL: (walks around the bar) Hey. I got a surprise for you.

Looking at him warily she stops eating. We are reminded that her new confidence is merely associated with her having just killed the vamp. It’s a very small step forward and a very precarious one at that.

MICHAEL straightens up and puts a set of keys on the counter between them.

MICHAEL: Kinsey left early.

She looks up at him

MICHAEL: The apartment’s yours.

RAIN wariness breaks and her face soften.

RAIN: (softly, slightly disbelieving) Now?

MICHAEL: Yup.

The instrumental song ends. Chances Are by Sheryl Crow begins playing very softly.

CUT TO-
          INT. CORRIDOR OUTSIDE - APARTMENT B – EVENING

The song can still be heard playing (as soundtrack). RAIN and MICHAEL stand facing each other outside the door. She is holding onto her unzipped bag, as new clothes spills out. We get a close up of his hand tipping the keys into hers.

MICHAEL: All right, well... good night.

RAIN: Night.

He walks down the hallway.

RAIN: (calling him) Michael?

MICHAEL: (turns around) Yeah?

RAIN smiles at him, tentatively, but fully. It’s as rare a-sight as ANGEL'S smile. It lights her face up.

RAIN: Thank you.

MICHAEL shrugs his shoulders at her, grins, trying not to attention to her openness. He turns to the rest of the stairs that lead to his apartment as RAIN watches him leave. Facing the door, she notices the letter B is upside down. In concentration, RAIN stares at it watching it slowly move back into place. Unlocking the door, she enters her apartment. Then she closes it, smiling the whole time. Song fades up, we hear:

My Karma was living inside a failure
          No matter how it don't matter now
          Rest assured the rest is blurred

With her back to the door, RAIN checks out the small apartment, its threadbare and Spartan but welcoming. The main door has opened into a small sitting room with the kitchen on the right. Its walls are painted a creamy-beige and there is an extremely old and unfashionable rug in the center. Posters displaying different art periods cover the walls. A large window looks out over the town.

It all comes down to doing time
          You don't always have to make it a crime
          We'll all drive off in our hybrid lives
          Chances are we'll make it back
          We'll make it back... We'll make it back

Two couches sit opposite of each other. In the left corner, we see at a television set. There are three doors leading off the room. The one to the right is slightly open and a soft light pools out from the doorway. RAIN assumes this is ALLIE’S room. Quietly, entering her bedroom at the end of the hallway, RAIN sees the window. Looking out, she appreciates she has a perfect view of Main Street. There are few people walking on the boardwalk. Closing the curtains, she stops herself feeling the softness of the fabric and then looks around the room.

It is better to explore within
          We were apes before we spoke of sin
          The cosmos sits on the tip of a pin

There is a small double bed with a plain duvet and some pillows. Above the headboard there are a couple of shelves, currently empty. On the other side of the room, there is a dresser with a mirror above. The closet is empty as well.

It all comes down to creating time
          You don't always have to make it alright

Pulling out a sketch pad and pencil from her bag, RAIN places it on her desk. She leans back, walking towards the bed and falls into it. Staring at the ceiling, RAIN closes her eyes and smiles, letting herself drift to sleep.

We'll all drive by with our hybrid lives
          Chances are... Chances are... Chances are

FADE TO BLACK

END OF EPISODE

:: GUEST STARRING ::

Spoiler:
          Rain's Mother (Daphne Ashbrook)
          Jake Shepherd (Rodney Rowland)
          Principal Jeffery Reyers (Zach Galifianakis)
          Sheridan Talmadge (Lisa Thornhill)
          Warner Talmadge (Victor Garber)

~~~

TRIVIA/FEEDBACK

• The story of Rain came to me when Odelia and I were trying to come up with a series regarding the activated slayers. We were playing with the idea of a Slayer University. And Rain was one of the characters that I developed. We were intrigued with her and then realized we should just focus on her- I mean a witch and slayer? It just sounded interesting to us. Also Rain is a mixture of 'real' people- myself included.

• Haven is a fictional town but its loosely based on where I grew up in Mass. I have fond memories there so this fanfic is close to my heart.

• Michael was originally Rain's Watcher (and resturant owner) but Odelia felt we should go with a female instead. I agreed because we've only seen one on Buffy. It made sense to go that route- do something different. She created Madeline and her storybackground, etc. I am glad I listened to her suggestions.

• If you have some questions or feedback- let me know here-Feedbacky. Odelia and I would love to hear from you.

• The next episode 1.02 Blank Canvas- you can read the summary in the index before checking out the transcript or if you prefer to just go straight to the episode, click here. Many many thanks for reading!
          Last edited by Obsessed; 06-10-10, 02:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X