Feedback for Wolfie Gilmore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Valyssia View Post
    Just a note to let you know how much I appreciate you. Your smart, insightful posts on the forums are always a pleasure to read. ...And if I'm having what amounts to a really crappy day. I just poke my nose in here and read something, anything by you. Pretty much guaranteed I find at least one genuine belly laugh. Very sharp wit...anyone that's not following your insanity is totally missing out.
    That’s an incredibly nice thing of you to say. Made my day

The last piece I read was the Dead Like Me crossover. I was mad as hell when that show didn't make it another season. Loved the dark humor. It was nice to see you pick it up and play with it. Interesting that you chose what might have been one of the darkest moments in the BtVS series and turn it even mildly humorous. Kudos for that.

Val
    I figured that, from Mason’s point of view, it would be just another gig (albeit one with the pressure on, since he failed last time). Amused me in my head to think that when buffy says in season one “I failed the written” that her death WAS written…on a post it note, and that note was in the pocket of a bloke who doesn’t know what he’s doing. Somehow, the reapers of Dead Like Me seem appropriate to the universe of Buffy…there isn’t someone who knows what’s going on, it’s always just people. Like someone said about the universe…”turtles all the way down”.

Hey, that’s quite a good fic title

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfie Gilmore View Post
      That’s an incredibly nice thing of you to say. Made my day
      Happy to hear... I'm a pretty firm believer that if someone does something that makes your life somehow more cheery, you tell 'em. People get little enough appreciation for their talents in this lifetime.

Originally posted by Wolfie Gilmore View Post
      I figured that, from Mason’s point of view, it would be just another gig (albeit one with the pressure on, since he failed last time). Amused me in my head to think that when buffy says in season one “I failed the written” that her death WAS written…on a post it note, and that note was in the pocket of a bloke who doesn’t know what he’s doing. Somehow, the reapers of Dead Like Me seem appropriate to the universe of Buffy…there isn’t someone who knows what’s going on, it’s always just people. Like someone said about the universe…”turtles all the way down”.

Hey, that’s quite a good fic title
      Of course, you're quite right. It does fit beautifully. The thing I'm left asking though is this... If a person dies when they are made a vampire, their soul leaves their body. How would this effect the reapers? Where do those souls go? To heaven? Well not likely... Is there some sort of card catalog for looking them up as gypsies curse their hosts? *giggles* It could be something like purgatory. From there the mind slides... You can see Spike's soul all kinda pissed off. Being called back from the afterlife equivalent of a pub in Amsterdam to fall back into the cold meat sack and enjoy more of the pain.

Yes...I know what a corruption this is in terms of ideology. Makes it no less the amusing to toy with. Feel free to use any fragment of it if you're inspired. Won't mind one bit.

Val

Comment

Originally posted by Valyssia View Post
        Happy to hear... I'm a pretty firm believer that if someone does something that makes your life somehow more cheery, you tell 'em. People get little enough appreciation for their talents in this lifetime.
        An excellent philosophy

Of course, you're quite right. It does fit beautifully. The thing I'm left asking though is this... If a person dies when they are made a vampire, their soul leaves their body. How would this effect the reapers? Where do those souls go? To heaven? Well not likely... Is there some sort of card catalog for looking them up as gypsies curse their hosts? *giggles* It could be something like purgatory. From there the mind slides... You can see Spike's soul all kinda pissed off. Being called back from the afterlife equivalent of a pub in Amsterdam to fall back into the cold meat sack and enjoy more of the pain.

Yes...I know what a corruption this is in terms of ideology. Makes it no less the amusing to toy with. Feel free to use any fragment of it if you're inspired. Won't mind one bit.

Val
        The afterlife of Spike's soul would be a brilliant story! Well, William's soul. Perhaps he's been enjoying all the pleasures of the flesh? Maybe reapers take turns babysitting the souls of the vampified, and it's the jammiest gig so everyone wants it? Roxy's babysitting hour would be fun. Maybe they're forbidden from telling the soul what the vampire gets up to? On Mason's watch he'd naturally stuff that up though...cos he'd be all impressed with the subway fight and give Spike a play by play...only William would be horrified. Maybe spending time with Mason is a bad influence and he becomes more like Spike?

Oh yes, many fun possibilities!

Comment

"Saviours are Complex" -- hee! Love it! Wonderful dialouge, made me laugh so much. Really great lines in there, especially "he can cope with a bit of lycra", "I played you in the school play" and the alien hints. Doctor and Rose were so in character too Such a fun fic!
          "When people call people nerds, mostly what they are saying is, 'You like stuff', which is just not a good insult at all, like 'You are too enthusiastic about the miracle of human consciousness'."
          -John Green

Comment

Originally posted by Rosamunde View Post
            "Saviours are Complex" -- hee! Love it! Wonderful dialouge, made me laugh so much. Really great lines in there, especially "he can cope with a bit of lycra", "I played you in the school play" and the alien hints. Doctor and Rose were so in character too Such a fun fic!
            I'd quite like to have a go at a Jesus and the Doctor just hanging out fic some time, too. Maybe in the garden of Gethsemane. You know..."you don't have to go through with this" type stuff. Then again, I'm not sure I can be arsed to do a serious one.

Mmm, more who fic next I think. Not sure what. Maybe some slash? Though have read so many Doctor/Master fics feel a bit overloaded with those. Maybe Doctor/historical figure of some kind? That I don't have to do too much research for...someone a bit legend-y? Robin Hood? Hmm...
            Or could do a crossover. Read a Jeeves and Wooster/Who crossover the other day that made me want to do one of my own...

Ooh, Doctor/House, that might be fun. Though i think two brooding lonely types wouldn't work. Need someone who's going to be bringing things together.

Hmm...I say, hmm....not feeling very inspired. Trying to think of something to write for KingofCretins' challenge but nothing's coming.

Comment

Just read the Who will I marry? piece. Very fun. I especially liked the "not only evil but also Republican" bit. Brilliant.
              "All I ask is that... that you try to see me."

Comment

Hello, this is my first feedback post here. I really enjoyed reading your Doctor Who ficlet Unkismet. It was really bittersweet but with good hypnotic descriptions of the club through Rose's POV while she's under the influence.

Another ficlet I was really fond of was Baby, we're the government: It's what we do. There's not a lot of Buffy comic book fanfiction out in fandom yet. I thought yours was one of the best. What a brutal ending!

I'm going to read some more fanfic on the board. I will come back later to give you more praise and feedback !

Comment

Just read 'Homeschooling'. I really like this one - not just because it involves Wes - but seeing more of his past is very interesting. I think you got the tone of Wesley perfect - his pleading as a young boy, his almost recycled use of what I imagine to be his father's phrases "he hated boys who tried to make up excuses and weasel out of taking responsibility". The privileged upbringing is present, but not huge-flashing-arrow-ly obvious - I'm thinking of the "study".The "through the bannister" and "pyjamas" aren't really posh, but they just remind me of a large house, something Mary Poppins or private school-esque. Varnished wooden furnishings and large paintings and the like.

Wesley's reserved relationship with his parents is also present, in the use of "Mother" and "Father". The holding out of his hand, automatically, really makes me feel sorry for Wes; he has clearly suffered this kind of punishment before. And while I don't think his father hates him, but is just a bad father, or perhaps indifferent/uncaring towards Wesley's feelings, what else could an eleven year old boy, starting to or just having started to question these kinds of things, assume? And I like how his mother tries to stick up for Wes, but doesn't stop her son from being spanked (and presumably hasn't in the past). Perhaps she suffers as much as Wesley, stuck under her husband's thumb?

So yeah, I really like this ficlet. It provides enough detail to explain everything, but leaves enough to the imagination to imagine the true extent of Wesley's poor upbringing.

Comment

[
                    Originally posted by The_Narrator View Post
                    Just read 'Homeschooling'. I really like this one - not just because it involves Wes - but seeing more of his past is very interesting.
                    I’ve been thinking about characters’ pasts recently…because, on Angel, the past is so very powerful - while the present seems more of a shaping force in Buffy. They all arrive in the show with baggage, and Wes is no exception. The glimpses we get of his childhood and his family life…I find ‘em tantalising, but also very sad. I was a bit wary of writing about it, because it might all seem a bit Dickens – poor little benighted mite etc – but then I thought, sod it. If you can’t be maudlin and emotionally manipulative in fanfic, when can you be?

I think you got the tone of Wesley perfect - his pleading as a young boy, his almost recycled use of what I imagine to be his father's phrases "he hated boys who tried to make up excuses and weasel out of taking responsibility". The privileged upbringing is present, but not huge-flashing-arrow-ly obvious - I'm thinking of the "study".The "through the bannister" and "pyjamas" aren't really posh, but they just remind me of a large house, something Mary Poppins or private school-esque. Varnished wooden furnishings and large paintings and the like.
                    I hadn’t really thought about the class markers actually, so glad that worked. It was good being able to write an English character for a change, so I didn’t have to think too much about incidental details. I’m now quite tempted to do a Watcher’s Academy story about him, as sort of a mystical Tom Brown’s Schooldays. Boarding school stories, fun! Perhaps I wouldn’t think that if I’d actually been to boarding school. I wonder, what would the WA be like…a mixed-sex Eton perhaps? Or more like a military school, a Sandhurst sort of affair?

And while I don't think his father hates him, but is just a bad father, or perhaps indifferent/uncaring towards Wesley's feelings, what else could an eleven year old boy, starting to or just having started to question these kinds of things, assume?
                    Yes – I think from the fake robot father we see in Lineage – if he’s a realistic copy – there is affection there, of a sort. But twisted and ill expressed. Since Wesley has more good in him than he could’ve gained from his father I’m assuming that his mum must’ve been quite nice, if a bit of a pushover.

So yeah, I really like this ficlet. It provides enough detail to explain everything, but leaves enough to the imagination to imagine the true extent of Wesley's poor upbringing.
                    Very glad you enjoyed. I think I might do some more Wes fic now.

Comment

Originally posted by Dorian's Kitten View Post
                      Just read the Who will I marry? piece. Very fun. I especially liked the "not only evil but also Republican" bit. Brilliant.
                      It's a cheap shot, but I couldn't resist

Originally posted by Curiouswolf View Post
                      Hello, this is my first feedback post here. I really enjoyed reading your Doctor Who ficlet Unkismet. It was really bittersweet but with good hypnotic descriptions of the club through Rose's POV while she's under the influence.
                      I find it sad, the idea of Rose's life without the Doctor...though losing him was tragic, not ever having him seems so...a waste, perhaps? Anyway, the end of s2 left me curious about all the alternative Roses out there...what theyre doing, whether the Doctor might ever meet one. Though also, are there alt!doctors?

Another ficlet I was really fond of was Baby, we're the government: It's what we do. There's not a lot of Buffy comic book fanfiction out in fandom yet. I thought yours was one of the best. What a brutal ending!
                      Sorry! But, nothing brings out my brutal cynic like the military industrial complex

I'm going to read some more fanfic on the board. I will come back later to give you more praise and feedback !
                      Thanks!

Comment

praise for the pearly gates

Well ylou've gone and done it again.

Excellent bit of work made me chuckle in more than a couple of places. Love the image of our broody Angel as an actual broody angel and the whole "not exactly buggery" thing. The ending is perfect.

Oh and St pedro is just as I would think he'd be all little and officious and woried about the paperwork.

In short gooooood.
                        JUST ENOUGH KILL

sigpic
                        Banner by Ciderdrinker

Comment

Originally posted by tangent View Post
                          Well ylou've gone and done it again.

Excellent bit of work made me chuckle in more than a couple of places. Love the image of our broody Angel as an actual broody angel and the whole "not exactly buggery" thing. The ending is perfect.

Oh and St pedro is just as I would think he'd be all little and officious and woried about the paperwork.

In short gooooood.
                          Ta mate!

I actually started out writing it as if Spike was going to heaven. Then I realised, if Angel was going to be there...couldn't possibly be heaven for poor old Bill

Comment

Arcadia. Excellent. Really really excellent. Made me grin like a maniac, and you also had me actually barracking for Spike and half hating Xander... but also loving Xander and Spike's consolation. Damn, girl, the 'fantasy buffy was whatever she was...' -don't remember the exact phrase- that was awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Veverka View Post
                              Arcadia. Excellent. Really really excellent. Made me grin like a maniac, and you also had me actually barracking for Spike and half hating Xander... but also loving Xander and Spike's consolation. Damn, girl, the 'fantasy buffy was whatever she was...' -don't remember the exact phrase- that was awesome!
                              Thank you! I rather enjoyed having Spike being the one with the physical...well, not jealousy of Xander exactly, but a little bit of payoff for all those times that Xander's looked at another man and felt he didn't measure up to their catlike grace or their compact yet muscular bodies I suppose he was slightly "fantasy Xander"...that is, Xander's fantasy of himself. But I feel that in season 8 he was kinda able to become that fantasy, being all NORAD at defcon one and all. Even if he still didn't get any male friends. Do you think he ever will? Perhaps that's a subject for a fic?

Anyway, going off topic in my own thread. That's got to merit some kind of prize

What prompted this fic was actually watching the Girl in Question, and thinking about all the ways in which Spike and Buffy might meet again....and none of them really satisfied me, or felt right...and I think it's partly because of the way the GiQ frames it, as if Buffy's some kind of prize. When actually, she's a woman getting on with her life, and having relationships - and, why not Xander? As Spike points out, it's not like she's meeting a lot of guys in that castle (and when travelling, I'm betting she doesn't get the chance to stick around long enough for anything more than a fling).

And Xander is REALLY hot in the comics Hmm...I'm sure I was going to write a deep backstory for the story.

Oh yeah, I somehow really enjoyed the idea of Spike driving through the scottish countryside in a stolen car. I did write a whole bit about him nicking it and having a slanging match with some kids who tried to nick it first, and ends up threatening them and realising that the old Spike isn't that far from the surface...or not when some scally kids piss him off, anyway...but it didn't exactly feel relevant to the story!

Glad you liked it. Season 8/post NFA fics are the most appealing to me at the moment...there's that feeling of freedom, anything could happen. And so many blanks that need filling in. I think the crappiness of the Girl in Question made me really want to resolve the Spike/Buffy thing in a way that made some sense. Actually, the bit in season 5 that really didn't make sense was Spike turning back instead of going to Europe. Seemed out of character. So...here he is. But too late, poor sausage (not that he would necessarily have got what he wanted if he'd got there six months earlier mind you...).

Comment

Alright, just a quick one... not my feedback, although I do agree... made my boyfriend read the Who/Bible crossover, and his response was 'i'd pay to watch that'... high praise

Comment

Working...
                                X