When One Door Closes by married_n_mich starting 10th April 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When One Door Closes by married_n_mich starting 10th April 2020

To entertain us during the Easter holidays we will be reading and discussing a very short fic (11k) words from tomorrow on. It's called When One Door Closes by married_n_mich and it was originally published on Seasonal Spuffy. Since this story is very short I guess we can all just read it and post our thoughts as we go along. The fic is set between season 2 and season 3 during the time Buffy ran off to L.A.

https://seasonal-spuffy.livejournal.com/191978.html

Happy Easter to all of you!

Dear married_n_mich,

if you have found your way to this thread, please be so kind as to read this:

http://buffyforums.net/forums/forum/...re-you-proceed

before you proceed. Thank you for your consideration. Please feel welcome to join in the discussion. We would be delighted and honored.

flow
    Last edited by flow; 09-04-20, 07:48 PM.
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

Oh I might just sneak this in before I return to reading Scars and go to A New Dawn, with it being so short.

EDIT: I've found from my fic list that I actually read this in Jan. I might just have a glance through it to remind myself.

Comment

I just noticed Jump by Holly is now complete on EF. I feel like I've been waiting forever for this one!

“I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

Comment

Holly is also writing the last chapter of Strawberry Fields! That’s the one I am waiting for!

flow

Comment

Edit - thanks flow, I've removed the spoilers.

I loved this fic! it was short and sweet and nicely written. I liked the slow build up and the friendship, it all felt really organic and nothing was forced. There were a few moments I had to suspend disbelief, like how did Spike get her phone number, would she be in the book? But even little things like that didn't spoil it for me. I shall try and read some more from this writer

Does anyone know the easiest way to search for Spuffy fic on LJ? It seems that you have to know the writer to search for their work, or can you search for tags as you do on AO3?
          Last edited by Priceless; 10-04-20, 09:55 AM.

Comment

• Double Dutchess
            Double Dutchess commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, generally you'd have to know the writer. But communities like Seasonal Spuffy do have their own tags that would at least allow some simple searches on things like season, rating etc. within the community.

• Priceless
            Priceless commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Double Dutchess, that's what I thought. There are so many great stories on LJ and I hate to think I'm missing them lol #FOMO

No spoilers needed, I just set this up and opened it at the same time:-)

Yes, I agree about this story being a well written and sweet enjoyable fic. I have read tons of "Anne-fics". I don't know if there is an official name to this trope but I call each fic where Buffy and Spike meet after Buffy has run away in Becoming Part 2 an "Anne-fic".. I love this trope and there are so many different takes on it. This one is unusual because Buffy has already been in l.A. for a couple of years and Spike - who went back to Sunnydale as he did in canon - has been chipped. Usually, you have an unchipped, unsouled and therefore evil Spike in Anne-fics but this quite clever plot twist allows for Buffy and Spike to come closer in a plausible way.

It is so much more difficult to write Buffy than it is to write Spike, imho. In Spuffy fics you usually see a Spike who is very spot on but often a Buffy who is slightly off. This writer also writes Bangel and gen fic. Buffy's voicing was remarkably good and Spike wasn't the best Spike I've ever read but still fine.

Pricey: I have no idea how to search lj for Spuffy fics. There are tags on lj but since it isn't a fic community but more of a general community I think you will probably come up with one million hits. This writer has their own website. You can find it here - but there is only one other Buffy/Spike fic listed:

https://sites.google.com/site/smilin...ngelfanfiction

flow

Comment

• Priceless
            Priceless commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for the link :-)

Short sweet and easy to read . I liked it but it felt unfinished, like there should be more chapters to come.

Comment

uhm...and Happy Passover
            Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

Comment

• Double Dutchess
              Editing a comment
              You too, as much as is possible.

It was a nice variation on the multitude of "Spike meets 'Anne' in L.A." fics. I agree the build-up was well done, especially for such a short story.
            https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

Comment

I had read this earlier this year so thought I'd only need to glance over it but ended up just rereading it as I didn't remember much of the details. I agree that it is interesting to get a different version of a fic that tangents from the end of S2 and adapts Anne. I generally really enjoy stories when Buffy and Spike meet outside of Sunnydale. Having Spike arrive in LA once chipped definitely brings a different angle in, but I find it hard to believe he wouldn't be more angry and resentful, having gone back to Sunnydale with such a chip on his shoulder towards Buffy. This was definitely a story that wanted things to be pretty smooth and sweet.

I think the story has a really solid start and knowing that Buffy has stayed away longer, that she's working in a good restaurant and slaying still gives her situation a very different vibe from the start against the canon path. Not knowing whether Spike found her by chance or not keeps it interesting with some unanswered questions to keep you reading.
              “How about you lose me? But intentionally?” is such a great line too. The voicing is very good at the beginning, particularly of Buffy, and her bristling at Spike's presence is very believable. Overall I think the story is stronger at the start, and I really do like the early set up.

I found the exposition about Spike's chip a bit awkwardly forced in though and the changes in him are ones we are just told about really, rather than shown. I find it hard to see a newly chipped Spike as being so ready to hang out and not be plotting and posturing. It's just too easy to basically be stating that loneliness and the chip have changed him without seeing any real evidence and process for me. His soullessness is pretty much swept aside and I just can't see Buffy finding that so easy after the trauma of everything that happened when Angel became unsouled too, leading up to the events which prompted why she's hiding away of course. I could see them falling into spending time together, but I think it all just needs a lot more building and time. Everything was all too readily achieved and they both came to mean so much to each other without any real complications or significant moments other than one argument/fall out. The set up was great but what came after didn't meet my expectations I suppose.

Still, it was a pleasant read. I liked hearing about them sharing time together and felt that the acknowledgement of needing to return to Sunnydale to be able to move on properly was a good touch. I also thought the brief comment that revealed that even though Buffy had been staying away, she had called to hear the voices of those she'd left sometimes to reassure herself they were alive was good. It made her staying away longer more believable I think. It is definitely a story that could be continued.

Comment

Read the story and found it charming - a little too expository, but a nice characterization of Buffy.

Hey, flow, I was going to comment on your post about Strawberry Fields, but I was afraid you wouldn’t see it since it was a few posts back. Maybe that could be one of the fics we read?

Sorry that work keeps getting in the way of participating in the fan fiction threads - still have to post on Scars which I enjoyed. But I promise to keep up with Strawberry Fields if we choose that as one of the fics - to be honest, I’ve never read any of it it while waiting for Holly to finish, so I’m excited to start.

I was also thinking that maybe we should read a weird fic written about a year ago and posted on EF that seems apt right now during a true-life pandemic.. I can’t remember the title but I thought it was well done - a spell/virus causes humans to compulsively eat vampires and demons - so Buffy and Spike take to the wilderness before their friends can eat them. Does anyone remember the title and author? A lot of inherent dark comedy with some nice horror scenes if I recall right - but my brain is fried at the moment from reading about biometrics for a PR assignment.

There was another zombie fic with a title about the end of the world that was never finished, but I also thought it was well done. I’m a sucker for zombies, though. Any other virus/zombie fics anyone can remember?
                Last edited by American Aurora; 16-04-20, 10:42 PM.

Comment

• Double Dutchess
                  Editing a comment
                  I read that story and I thought it was very good. I don't remember the title, but I'm pretty sure it was by Twinkles.

Originally posted by American Aurora View Post
                Hey, flow, I was going to comment on your post about Strawberry Fields, but I was afraid you wouldn’t see it since it was a few posts back. Maybe that could be one of the fics we read?

Sorry that work keeps getting in the way of participating in the fan fiction threads - still have to post on Scars which I enjoyed. But I promise to keep up with Strawberry Fields if we choose that as one of the fics - to be honest, I’ve never read any of it it while waiting for Holly to finish, so I’m excited to start.

I was also thinking that maybe we should read a weird fic written about a year ago and posted on EF that seems apt right now during a true-life pandemic.. I can’t remember the title but I thought it was well done - a spell/virus causes humans to compulsively eat vampires and demons - so Buffy and Spike take to the wilderness before their friends can eat them. Does anyone remember the title and author? A lot of inherent dark comedy with some nice horror scenes if I recall right - but my brain is fried at the moment from reading about biometrics for a PR assignment.

There was another zombie fic with a title about the end of the world that was never finished, but I also thought it was well done. I’m a sucker for zombies, though. Any other virus/zombie fics anyone can remember?
                I haven't even finished Scars yet, so you're ahead of me. I'm still intending to finish it and post on it, this was just a lot easier to slot into my days at the moment than a longer fic.

I'd also be interested in reading Strawberry Fields too and haven't read any of it yet either.

And I'd love to read the zombie fic. I've never heard of the first you mention, when Buffy and Spike flee because they fear being eaten by the scoobs, but am really wanting to read it now so I hope someone remembers it. I'm pretty sure I have read the other that you mention. It might have even been after you raised it in the past. I think it is A Home at the End of the World by solstice and was on Elysian Fields. It is a WIP though and so is frustratingly incomplete.

Comment

I'm pretty sure its this one . A matter of taste by twinkles

Comment

Yes, GoSpuffy, that’s it! Thank you so much - I could not remember it at all. Double Dutchess was right - it was by Twinkles. Even the title is amusingly morbid. I think it would be a fun read. I think the fic especially works because of the positioning right before Buffy vs. Dracula because there’s no Dawn for Buffy to worry about and Spike is nearly in love with Buffy.

Stoney is right as well - the second zombie fic was A Home at the End of the World. Great fic that was never finished, sadly. In a way, I think that End of the World has a bit of a soft ending - although the problem of zombies is never resolved. Perhaps she’d written herself into a corner.

I think both fics share the common trope of a sudden virus that turns people into zombies - the plot of Omega Man really - and it might be fun to read the zombie fics in tandem as a bit of escapism from the horrors of a real virus.
                    Last edited by American Aurora; 17-04-20, 04:37 AM.

Comment

American Aurora I've already read A Matter of Taste by Twinkles but I am very happy to re-read it as a group because it was fantastic. Strawberry Fields has actually been finished today! I have put both fics and the solstice WIP on our list.

flow

Comment

Working...
                      X