A New Dawn by kally77 starting 3rd April 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Dawn by kally77 starting 3rd April 2020

Amidst the current global pandemic crisis, I hope that you all can find some time and the chance to take your mind off your worries and to read and discuss another fanfic with us.

We will be reading and discussing
    A New Dawn by kally77

The discussion will officially be opened on Friday 3rd of April 2020 but as always you are welcome to post your thoughts here on the thread as you read through the story. Simply be so kind to put them under spoiler brackets until the date of discussion has arrived.

I know next to nothing about our next fic. Kally77 who also went under the name of Kallysten was a very prolific and popular Spuffy fanfic writer back in the day and she has also been publishing original fiction for a very long time. This story is set in season 5 and it is with three chapters and 42k words not too lengthy.

I think we have read another story by Kally77 ages ago. It was the Blood series but I have to admit that I skipped the story and have never read anything by her until now.

Let's have some fun, shall we?

Dear Kally77,

if you have found your way to this thread, please be so kind as to read this:

http://buffyforums.net/forums/forum/...re-you-proceed
    before you proceed. Thank you for your consideration. Please feel welcome to join in the discussion. We would be delighted and honored.

flow
    Last edited by flow; 21-03-20, 02:54 PM.
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

The Blood series was nan dibble, if we're thinking of the same one. I never got on to rereading the last of that series I've now remembered either. I'm not sure what my chances are of joining in for this one as I do want to finish rereading Scars and have the banner to do and the rewatch restarting. But I'll try as I would like to reread this too.

Comment

A link to the story?

“I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

Comment

Originally posted by GoSpuffy View Post
        A link to the story?
        Oops...

https://archiveofourown.org/works/81...apters/1546317

Stoney
        The Blood series was nan dibble,
        You're right, I confused the titles. The kally77 fic is called The Bloody Soul series.

flow
        Last edited by flow; 22-03-20, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Ah yes, I forgot about the Bloody Soul series or I would have just realised what you meant, sorry. I'm not sure I'd managed to join for that one which is probably why it didn't spring to mind.

Comment

She stopped him by pressing two fingers to his lips.
            Awwww, Pricey now they are using two fingers... I am sure it's all a huge conspiration

flow

Comment

Darn, I forgot to declare the discussion officially open.

Has anyone read this?

flow

Comment

I read it but in this crazy apocalypse world I can't remember it a week later. Once people start discussing I'm sure I'll start remembering

Comment

I've not even finished Scars yet so I'm going to have to pass on this one, sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by GoSpuffy View Post
                    I read it but in this crazy apocalypse world I can't remember it a week later. Once people start discussing I'm sure I'll start remembering
                    I'm in much the same position TBH. I remember finding a few things a bit hard to buy but I'm lost on the details. I did like the story overall. Concerning the general premise, I agree it made more sense for the monks to have made Dawn Buffy's child instead of her sister, as she could be expected to be even more fiercely protective of her then. Plus, it would require much less altering of memories.

Oh yeah, I remember: leaving Dawn with Angel was one of the things I couldn't really see them do.
                    https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

Comment

I found this story very satisfying and an excellent read. I think there are a couple of Spuffy fics out there with Buffy being pregnant post Something Blue. I have even read a (very good) Spuffy fic with Buffy being pregnant post Something Blue and they find out later it's a Bangel baby due to the events of IWRY. This is echoed in this fic when they bring dawn to Angel and he thinks she is his daughter.

But this story goes further. It takes the canon events of Something Blue - only a kiss, folks - and weaves them together with the canon events of season 5 - memory altering spell by monk dudes and we get a real pregnancy due to sexual intercourse that has never happened. I adored how Spike firmly worms his way into his role as Dawn's father despite Buffy keeping his fatherhood a secret. I also like how he is willing to take Dawn away from Buffy as soon as he thinks Dawn is in danger. I have no doubts both Buffy and Spike would entrust Angel to protect Dawn. I also don't think they have any other choice. If Buffy would run with Dawn Glory would be after her anyway. If Spike would run with Dawn Glory would think he is the key and would go after him. Who else could protect dawn? Xander? Giles? Joyce? Not really. Maybe Willow as the only one but they need her to fight Glory.

The ending is very unusual and nothing I've ever seen in a fic. I love how the writer kames use of the memory spell Glory has put on each and every human. Spike is the only one who remembers that ben and Glory share a body. The solution is simple - he goes and kills Ben. It makes sense that he does not talk to anyone about this beforehand, most of all Buffy. She would not have let him do it and he puts his need to protect Dawn before her need to protect every human. But of course, the killing of an innocent human can not go (completely) unpunished and we end up with a Spike who's brain has been severely damaged by the chip. I do hope he recovers but I am glad the writer did not brush over his murder and end the story with Buffy and Spike falling into each other's arms. When they found the letter I was afraid it might be something schmaltzy or apologetic. Instead, it is down to earth and directed at Giles who is, as we know, the only person who would indeed have gone and killed Ben had Spike failed. Very thoughtful of Spike!

This is a very solid, well written and wonderful story. The only thing I could not wholeheartedly buy was how easily they got Spike out of arrest and autopsy. But I don't really mind.

flow

Comment

I'm too lazy to write my own post so I'll just add I agree with flow

Comment

I read so many fics lately that I forgot what this one is about. So thank you flow for reminding me.
                          Overall I liked this fic, but there are several scenes where Spike shuts Buffy up with a kiss, or she puts her finger on his lips, I don’t like that in any stories. I really liked the ending.

Comment

redtent
                            I really liked the ending.

Me too, I thought it was kinda appropriate. It would have been devastating had Spike actually died but it would have been too easy had he been fine and all had been forgiven.

flow

Comment

Working...
                            X