No announcement yet.

Clearance by Treacle Antlers starting 21st February 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I enjoyed this fic a lot, but it was too long. It could have been 3 chapters, sharp and snappy, while at 5 chapters I felt it needed an editor. I liked the set-up a lot, forcing these two together in a space they couldn't escape from, so they had to communicate and get to know each other.

The best bits for me were the starts of every section, which were conversations when you didn't know what was happening and they were all full of sexual innuendo Buffy getting drunk on a few mouthfuls of cough mixture was a bit much. I didn't need the epilogue to help me enjoy this fic so didn't bother reading it.

Comment

I enjoyed this fic a lot, but it was too long. It could have been 3 chapters, sharp and snappy,
      I couldn't get into it (found my self skimming much of it) and I think this is why. It was good but it felt too dense.
      sigpic

Comment

I liked it. I didn't read the epilogue. I didn't think it felt too long or too short, I think the author did a good job with capturing desperate freshly chipped Spike and a "something blue" vibe. It was a short fun read that offered good entertainment. It did make me wonder if Spike and Giles could have been friends if spike hadn't been a vamp. I think not, however spike and the ripper would have totally been besties. Is there a ripper spike fanfic in the world? I bet that would be interesting.

“I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

Comment

I didn't think it was overly long either.

Originally posted by GoSpuffy View Post
          Is there a ripper spike fanfic in the world? I bet that would be interesting.
          Not fics I'm going to read personally, but, from a Spike/Giles pairing search on All About Spike...
          Behind Blue Eyes by Onondata
          In a world where Rupert Giles never reconciled with the Watcher's Council after his troubled youth, the Ripper comes to play a very different role in the heirarchy of the Hellmouth. Spike's relationship to the Ripper is quite different as well.
          Alternate Universe, Rated NC-17, Spike/Giles, 5741 words.

Brass by Te
          It's the 70s, there's a bar with Spike, Ethan, and Ripper in it. Don't you wanna go?
          Pre-Series, Rated NC-17, Spike/Giles, Spike/Ethan, 1425 words.
          There are no doubt others out there.

Comment

This is funny because I often find myself getting impatient while reading 150k plus fics and - like TriBel - skim through at least two-thirds of them unless they make it into my favorites list. But I didn't find this fic too long at all. It was only five chapters and we have a mission planned and then going wrong, a trap situation, several rescue attempts, lots of banter, innuendo, and poetry and finally the great escape. It seems as if we - again - have a differing view. Which is, of course, a good thing.

By the way, just to prove a point (German can sound romantic too!), I wanted to post the first paragraph of Der Panther as originally written by Rilke. But it has a lot of German umlaute and also a letter you don't have in English at all (a combination of a s and a z). I wasn't sure if posting those umlaute and letters would be problematic because of the current issues with the forum upgrade. Stoney, would you say it is safe to post them?

flow

................................ Banner by buffylover

Comment

Originally posted by TriBel View Post

I couldn't get into it (found my self skimming much of it) and I think this is why. It was good but it felt too dense.
              For me, it was slow to begin with. It took a whole chapter to get to the set-up and I thought that was unnecessary. The writing is spot on, it's really well written.

Comment

Originally posted by flow View Post
                By the way, just to prove a point (German can sound romantic too!), I wanted to post the first paragraph of Der Panther as originally written by Rilke. But it has a lot of German umlaute and also a letter you don't have in English at all (a combination of a s and a z). I wasn't sure if posting those umlaute and letters would be problematic because of the current issues with the forum upgrade. Stoney, would you say it is safe to post them?
                I'd be surprised if it would let you post them to be honest. You could try, but I'd recommend you copy just before pressing post so that you don't lose it if it cuts off the text where the first unusual character appears. You could code it (make bold any letters that should have an umlaute), or provide a link to it online instead if it won't post them. There is a slim chance that trying to post them will freeze up the thread. But that seems to have only happened once and on other occasions it has just cut off the text when posting.

Comment

Ah, it’s not worth risking to freeze the whole thread. Thank you, Stoney!

flow

Comment

Priceless - Yes - I thought it was well-written.

flow I didn't say German couldn't be romantic - it's just that French and Italian are stereotypically "romantic":

sigpic

Comment

Pricey was asking for Umlaute in another thread. Here they are:

Der Panther

Sein Blick ist vom Vorübergehn der Stäbe
                      So müd geworden, dass er nichts mehr hält.
                      Ihm ist, als ob es tausend Stäbe gäbe
                      Und hinter tausend Stäben keine Welt.

flow

Comment

• Priceless
                        Priceless commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I bet that felt good!

Very late to the party here, but I read this story some time ago (maybe a year ago?) and I liked it. The epilogue was OK but I do think the story was better without it.
                      https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

Comment

Working...
                      X