Clearance by Treacle Antlers starting 21st February 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clearance by Treacle Antlers starting 21st February 2020

Aaaaarghh - I have forgotten to open a thread yesterday for our next fic. Luckily it is quite short with just 17k words and I hope all of you will manage to read it until next Friday.

It's on ff.net:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1014673/1/Clearance

I am looking forward to reading it!

Dear Treacle Antlers, if you have found your way to this thread, please be so kind as to read this:

http://buffyforums.net/forums/forum/...re-you-proceed

before you proceed. Thank you for your consideration. Please feel welcome to join in the discussion. We would be delighted and honored.

flow
    Last edited by flow; 28-02-20, 09:12 PM.
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

For once I'm actually ahead!! I know it's a shock. I have read this and made a few notes that I just need to check through before we comment on Friday.

I also found the extended version that is referred to on ff.net, the version that has the epilogue she wrote. In that version she calls it a prologue, but it is obviously just an error in terminology, it is referenced as an epilogue on ff.net and works as one in the alternate. She does comment on wishing she hadn't written it though, which may be why she didn't include it on ff.net, but I can dig out the link I found if people want to read it?

Comment

I'm happy not to read it if the author wishes they hadn't written it.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
        I'm happy not to read it if the author wishes they hadn't written it.
        In the story summary on ffnet it says, "Season 4: Whilst searching for AWOL Riley, Buffy and reluctant sidekick Spike are trapped in a medical supply closet for 24 hours (minus NC-17 epilogue but otherwise complete!)", which obviously made me go off hunting for the complete one. At the end of that she has put, "A note to everyone who read and fed me as far as 'Clearance' is concerned: God damn you all!!! Let me never again be swayed by you to write a prologue that wasn't needed!!! But a thank you too. You've taught me a valuable lesson I will not forget! "
        I'm happy to include comments on it or ignore the epilogue as everyone else prefers.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post

In the story summary on ffnet it says, "Season 4: Whilst searching for AWOL Riley, Buffy and reluctant sidekick Spike are trapped in a medical supply closet for 24 hours (minus NC-17 epilogue but otherwise complete!)", which obviously made me go off hunting for the complete one. At the end of that she has put, "A note to everyone who read and fed me as far as 'Clearance' is concerned: God damn you all!!! Let me never again be swayed by you to write a prologue that wasn't needed!!! But a thank you too. You've taught me a valuable lesson I will not forget! "
          I'm happy to include comments on it or ignore the epilogue as everyone else prefers.
          As someone who can't write NC-17 for toffee, but have tried and was embarrassed by my efforts, I sympathise with Treacle Antlers But of course, if it's out there, I totally understand people wanting to read it. I'd like to hear your opinions, was it needed or not?

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
            As someone who can't write NC-17 for toffee, but have tried and was embarrassed by my efforts, I sympathise with Treacle Antlers But of course, if it's out there, I totally understand people wanting to read it. I'd like to hear your opinions, was it needed or not?
            It wasn't, as I remember, especially detailed or graphic as an NC-17 addition. There is some of course, but it isn't like it is just an additional scene written purely to get a bit hotter and heavier in and of itself. The aspects in it I found hard to believe of the characters were true to the rest of the story really, so that wasn't a boundary crossed with it for me. But I did think, on balance, that I could understand why the author would have preferred to have left it where it was, it wasn't needed and kind of nicer without it.

Comment

If it is nicer without the epilogue I will stay with the nicer version and forego the epilogue.

flow

Comment

How tall is James Marsters? Asking for a friend (and because I started reading the fic)?
                sigpic

Comment

• flow
                  flow commented
                  Editing a comment
                  175 cm. I am sorry but I don't know how much that is in inches.

• Stoney
                  Stoney commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes I know which bit you've just read. Yeah he's small for a guy, about 5' 7".

• TriBel
                  TriBel commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks both - that was what I thought. Humph...size matters.

Originally posted by flow View Post
                If it is nicer without the epilogue I will stay with the nicer version and forego the epilogue.
                It's subjective of course though. I would have preferred the story if it had ended as it was, but what was added wasn't anti-Spuffy, or aiming to be. Perhaps 'nicer' wasn't the right word, I don't know. Ugh, it's too hard to guess what people would think of the epilogue.

Comment

But why in French, Spike? Why?

flow

Comment

flow L wondered that. I was going to suggest (stereotypically) that French sounds more romantic but...

Spoiler:
                    While Rilke is most known for his contributions to German literature, over 400 poems were originally written in French and dedicated to the canton of Valais in Switzerland.

Dunno if that was one of them but if it was blame your countryman not Spike!
                    sigpic

Comment

Totally in sync with my belated announcement of this fic I now belatedly and officially declare the discussion opened!

I think this story is fantastic. It is actually the third story by Treacle Antlers I have been reading and they all are favorites of mine. The other two are Night Call, Collect and No Mistakes. I will definitely read each and every Buffy fic by this author.

Locking up Buffy and Spike in a place where they have to get along or maybe even team up to break free and most of all spend a lot of slowly passing time together isn't easy to do in fanfic. I have seen it being done before and I especially remember Sigyn's Slayer Rising (which has a vamp!Buffy though). You need to take away a part of Spike's evilness and make Buffy at least partly accept him. And you need to be able to write a really good banter. I think it works well in this fic. I was positively surprised and excited by the use of Rilke's "Der Panther" (alas - I cannot claim him as my countryman. But he wrote this particular poem originally in German). I thought chipped Spike would be referred to as the caged animal but the reference to Buffy - once it had been explained to me - worked as well.

It was a huge plus for me that the writer did not go down the well trodden path of "Buffy denies Spike's capacity to love because Angel without a soul didn't love her ... blah blah blah) and instead went for a very different approach. This Buffy belives that soulless Angel did love her just as well as souled Angel did. It was just that without his soul he had to twist this love into something sinister. This is an approach I very much agree with.

I was very confused at the end because Buffy and Spike simply left the military base and left Riley behind. He was the reason why they had come to that place in teh first place. I don't think Buffy would just give up on Riley like this. I also didn't understand why Buffy fainted. because of the heat? because of dehydration? or simply because of how close she was to the goodness that is Spike? The last explanation is probably the most plausible one.

flow

Comment

This is the first story I read from Treacle Antlers, and I liked it very much. It was a lot of fun to read. The banter was great. It captures the tone of s4 really well. I love the scene where Buffy and Spike play cards for meds.
                        So did anyone read the epilogue, what happens in it? Does it change the story drastically? I couldn't find it anywhere.

Comment

Oh, I have completely forgotten about the mysterious epilogue. No, I haven't read it and I don't think I am going to. I was completely content with the ending as it was.

flow

Comment

I liked this fic, but a bit less than others seem to have enjoyed it. I liked the writing of the resentful, bored, chipped Spike at the start especially. I could really picture the glares and hear the goading. The card flipping as a light-hearted way to break barriers once they were trapped was a brief but amusing scene too. Having them talk about their first impressions of each other was also fun, and not overblown as if they had deeply analysed it already. But what was harder to believe was that Buffy would have felt able to relax enough, or disregard context like that, to become drunk and then cheat, however briefly. (This sits alongside the point flow raised in just leaving Riley at the end too.) But I do tend to always like stories that break the setting and aren't just Sunnydale based so the 'somewhere else' aspect of the story and all that tends to bring to create an opportunity for a different dynamic was great. I mean, the scenario was really contrived of course, but that is often the nature of these kinds of fics, to create the setting and then retain them in it for a while, so I roll with that happily. And there is another element of amusement that comes with the scene setting of the story too as they end up in this medical supply that has air conditioning but no smoke detectors, and get trapped inside but never found/noticed.

The discussion of good/bad demons wasn't really something new to Buffy as there have been demons she has let go before and has thought weren't a threat (like the one with the books of ascension). I think the writing leaned a little bit to Spike being a 'different' vampire when to me he is as all vampires are, an individual greatly tied to who William was, but also affected by the circumstances/experience of the chip. So I don't think I see the mythology of vamps the same as the writer perhaps does, or even necessarily Spike's character. But I liked the touches towards considering the isolation that he feels, which I think was a very big part of his S4 experience when newly chipped and part of why his connections with Buffy drew him so much. Generally this story seemed to be about them getting enforced time which meant they got to know each other differently. To create time that would give Buffy the opportunity to consider Spike in a different light. Even if I don't agree on all aspects of the way he's presented, I did like the insight they both were shown in considering the other's loneliness at points and their similarities. I was glad it wasn't just an opportunity to make them lust driven, although that was certainly in there too.

Oh, and I have decided that it is perhaps because Buffy is so small that Spike at one point is described as being 6ft, which is ridiculous. Basically this is a fun story that if I don't take it seriously enough to care about how contrived it is in parts or to be bothered by Buffy's disregard for where they are and Riley I can just enjoy it a lot. The voicing is great and the banter is entertaining.

As I said before, I don't really know how I feel about the epilogue. I think on balance I wasn't keen on it. Overall I enjoyed the story's original chapters as is and so I can definitely understand why the author note at the end of the epilogue says they didn't feel they needed to add it and seem to wish they hadn't. Perhaps this is why it doesn't appear on the fanfiction site.

Originally posted by redtent View Post
                            So did anyone read the epilogue, what happens in it? Does it change the story drastically? I couldn't find it anywhere.
                            I can give you a link...
                            Spoiler:
                            Clearance with epilogue (although it is mislabelled as a prologue)

A very rough summary and comments :
                            Spoiler:
                            It comes just after Buffy gets her body back from Faith having stolen it. Spike is smarting from Buffy calling everything he's said following the original chapters a delusion and denied. Then he felt humiliated by her coming on to him in the bronze, but has heard after that it was Faith in Buffy's body. So he goes off looking for her for revenge, not knowing they have switched back. Basically he finds Buffy skinny dipping and she is angry about Riley sleeping with Faith so gives in to her desire and sleeps with Spike, whilst pretending that she is still Faith. He suspects early on it's really Buffy but it does end perhaps with a little bit of ambiguity, a seed of doubt for him maybe, but I think he still does think it was really Buffy.

In it, I can understand Buffy feeling hurt and being tempted to experience the wild freedom and escapism of being believed to be Faith still, getting to do something she was tempted to do before with Spike. But I just don't think she would have betrayed Riley like that, not even in the wake of the hurt of him having slept with Faith. That opinion is probably not surprising as I didn't think she would have done what she did in the original chapters behind Riley's back either. I could see Spike going after Faith and then very much seizing the opportunity with Buffy when he realised it was her, but I'm not sure he wouldn't have called her on it at the end a bit more bluntly. I quite like though that it did seem to be left with that little sense of uncertainty at the end, so if there was any small lingering doubt it wasn't going to get fully erased. But on balance I think the original story was better without.

Comment

Working...
                            X