No announcement yet.

New suggestions for the Spuffy fanfiction discussion group

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awwww, you are our star, Stoney . You keep this forum going and you are the heart and soul of it.

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

Comment

• Stoney
      Stoney commented
      Editing a comment
      You're very sweet, but I'm just one of many parts that make up the whole. It takes us all. And some of us seem to be destined to lag around at the back.

Argh. I impose an embargo on myself when I’m writing, or more accurately trying to write. Absolutely no reading of fan fiction. Trouble is, that means I’m deprived of fun and laughter and participation in these chats. As I’m perpetually trying to write.

I can’t think how to achieve a balance in this, but I’m just here to wish you all happy reading. Have fun!
    You know what I am. You've always known. You come to me all the same.

"There's a lot of comedy to be gotten from the world's doom spiral right now." Tracey Ullman, June 2018

Comment

Is anyone up for reading and discussing another fic? Would you like a short one, a medium one or an epic one?

flow

Comment

Well I'm still on Scars. I think it is probably wise to just discount me, but if you do a very short one I might just squeeze it in. But I do want to finish Scars and really wanted to reread A New Dawn too, so I think I'm going to be behind for a bit.

Comment

I'm always reading fic anyway flow, so I'm happy to read something recommended with the group.

I've currently got an audiobook on the go, a Spuffy fanfic, a Buffy novel I'm reading for another group in another place, and an whodunnit paperback which I've also just started and got no further than the third chapter. I am also working on my own fanfic I'm not laughing, I'm drowning, but I've only got myself to blame

Comment

• Priceless
            Priceless commented
            Editing a comment
            There are some amazing artists on this site and I'm sure you will all come up with some amazing banners! My stuff just isn't good enough, I wouldn't be happy having it represent the site.

• Stoney
            Stoney commented
            Editing a comment
            As usual you are far too hard on yourself. I was thinking that a revised version of the Buffy banner you did balancing the pot on her head would be a really fun addition to the styles. You'd just need higher resolution cut outs and to colour match/complement the style it was going with.

Apart from Nina and myself there are no others doing any of the new banners yet, although DD might be doing one. I might get time/inspiration to do another one of them, but I'm not sure with the kids at home and everything. We'll just end up taking a bunch of the styles off I think. I do understand feeling uncertain about it, I wasn't totally comfortable myself, but I would be happy to help with anything I could if you did change your mind.

• Priceless
            Priceless commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Stoney, you are a sweetheart. I'll definitely let you know if I change my mind x

I'm with my twinsie Pricey. Always open to reading with the group.

“I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

Comment

• Stoney
            Stoney commented
            Editing a comment
            I wish I wasn't just so darn slow and could join you all more and not limp along late in the background so much.

American Aurora has suggested reading a matter of Taste by Twinkles in tandem with a home at the end of the world by solstice. Solstice's story is sadly a WIP but both fics are about a virus epidemy and therefore match (to some extent) what is currently happening in the world. She also suggested Strawberry Fields, a fic that Holly started writing and publishing in October 2006 and finished today. Fourteen years of writing with an almost ten years hiatus in between them.

Which story would you all like to start with?

flow

Comment

Either but strawberry fields is my first choice.

“I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

Comment

I vote for Strawberry Fields first as GoSpuffy suggested!

Love the idea of talking about old “Spuffy” vs new “Spuffy” as the writing of the fic almost spans the years from the end of the show up to today. Didn’t know there was that long of a gap, flow - wow, ten years. I think that Holly may have updated the old parts as well when she came back to it? I actually have the original WIP saved (although I never read it) and hope to compare it to her newly revised version to see if there are any major changes in characterization or tone.
              Last edited by American Aurora; 18-04-20, 05:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by flow View Post
                American Aurora has suggested reading a matter of Taste by Twinkles in tandem with a home at the end of the world by solstice. Solstice's story is sadly a WIP but both fics are about a virus epidemy and therefore match (to some extent) what is currently happening in the world. She also suggested Strawberry Fields, a fic that Holly started writing and publishing in October 2006 and finished today. Fourteen years of writing with an almost ten years hiatus in between them.

Which story would you all like to start with?

flow
                I vote for Strawberry Fields by Holly. I love the idea that writers do eventually finish those pesky WIP. I recently read A Matter of Taste by Twinkle and it was good, but I still remember it pretty well. My last choice would be the Solstace fic A Home At The End Of The World unless it comes to a satisfactory 'conclusion' even if it is a WIP.

Comment

I would probably have voted for Twinkle's fic first but I'll go with Strawberry Fields.

Comment

I recently read A Matter of Taste, and it's great, I wouldn't mind reading it again. But I'm also on board for Strawberry Fields, since it's recently finished.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post

I vote for Strawberry Fields by Holly. I love the idea that writers do eventually finish those pesky WIP. I recently read A Matter of Taste by Twinkle and it was good, but I still remember it pretty well. My last choice would be the Solstace fic A Home At The End Of The World unless it comes to a satisfactory 'conclusion' even if it is a WIP.
                      Yeah, Priceless, I agree that there is nothing more frustrating than to read an unfinished work - especially if it’s good - and A Home At the End of the World is a WIP. But peeking at the final chapter, I think it would be okay because it wraps up the emotional arc of the story if not the zombie apocalypse.

I don’t know why solstice stopped writing, but the fic runs on two parallel lines as Buffy, Dawn, Joyce and Spike flee together from the worldwide epidemic. The main plot is the constant battle against the zombies - which is actually very exciting. The other far more important plot line is the gradual acceptance of Spike into the family. It ends on a kind of cliffhanger - but the emotional arc comes to a kind of conclusion.

A Home at the End of the World features the vicious Spike of Harsh Light of Day - he’s mourning Drusilla, unchipped and hostile to Buffy - as opposed to the dejected chipped Spike of A Matter of Taste which is set right before Buffy vs. Dracula and Dawn’s arrival. Which means that the two Spikes are very different in their reaction to a zombie apocalypse.

I imagine one reason solstice might have abandoned it is because she had to shift in tone to start building a second emotional arc while continuing to up the dramatic stakes and perhaps it just felt too onerous. Still, it’s almost the same setup as A Matter of Taste - flee for the hills!

The main reason I want to reread it alongside the other finished fic is because I remember it was a really exciting story with great horror moments and excellent characterizations not only of Buffy and Spike, but Dawn and Joyce as well and it deservedly won a ton of fan awards. That’s why I suggested reading both of them because the unfinished fic would be too frustrating to read on its own. Perhaps we could read that first (even speculate how it should have ended if it had been finished) and then switch off to A Matter of Taste to end with a finished fic.
                      Last edited by American Aurora; 18-04-20, 03:16 PM.

Comment

• Double Dutchess
                        Double Dutchess commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Aurora, BIG thanks for recommending A Home at the End of the World. It was awesome, totally engrossing and as you said, with excellent characterization. Also, it's a real pity it's unfinished -- I would have loved to read MUCH more -- but I agree it ends at a good point.

I read A Matter of Taste fairly recently, and I'm not quite up for a reread yet. (Although it could be interesting to reread it in the light of the current COVID-19 situation.) So I'm voting against that one, although I thought it was a great story.

I haven't read either Strawberry Fields or A Home At The End Of The World, so both of them would be fine for me. I have a slight preference for A Home At The End Of The World, even though it's a WIP which I normally don't like to read. But based on what Aurora said about it, I'm planning to read that one anyway, while I probably won't read Strawberry Fields unless it is going to be discussed here. (So maybe Strawberry Fields would be the better choice after all, just to make me read it )
                      https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

Comment

Coming in late to this, but I would be thrilled to read either Strawberry Fields or A Matter of Taste, or both! I haven't read either, and they both sound amazing. I've read fics by Twinkles before and absolutely love her. A Home at the End of the World sounds really interesting too. I'll definitely join in on the discussions when the dates are set for them! <3

Comment

• Stoney
                          Stoney commented
                          Editing a comment
                          The thread for Strawberry Fields has been created with a discussion start date of 12th May.
                      Working...
                      X