Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New suggestions for the Spuffy fanfiction discussion group

Hi y'all,

this is the thread where you can suggest a fic to be read and discussed in our fanfic discussion group. If you have a fic on your mind you like to talk about, please let us know! We are always looking for stories we can discuss. Please add - if possible - a link where the fic can be found and a word count. Optionally you can also enclose a short summary or the rating, season or genre of the story.

Below you will find a list of the stories we have already read together as well as a list of the stories that we intend to read in the future. There is also a list of fics that are under consideration for a group reading.

List of previous discussions

A Better Man by Sunalso 13th April 2018

Adieu, A Dew, I Do by Lizerrrbeathan 20th April 2018

Journeys: A Promise To A Lady, by Mary 4th of May 2018

Journeys: Awakenings, by Mary 11th of May 2018

The Other Side Of Midnight by Holly 25th May 2018

Wooded Path by Linnae13 1st June 2018

Seven short fics within two weeks from 15th June 2018

Long day`s Journey by anaross 13th July 2018

Reflections by MsClawdia 20th July 2018

Walking Midnight by aadler starting 1st August 2018

Ahead of her Time by haylecc 3rd August 2018

Colors by anaross starting 17th August 2018

sex, lies and sonograms by Sabershadowkat starting 31th August 2018

Debriefing Dana/Slayers memories by Hello_Spikey starting 21st September 2018

Turn and Face the Strain series by Quinara

- Part I The More Things Stay the Same starting 5th October 2018

- Part II As Good as a Rest starting 12th October 2018

- Part II Turn and Face the Strain starting 19th October 2018

Whose Torment is this, Anyway? by Rebcake starting 2nd November 2018

Life Harsh/Life Hard by Soulburnt starting whenever you are ready

Home is where they Have to Let You In by slaymesoftly starting 9th November 2018

Super Food World by Valerie X starting 23rd of November 2018

Christmas Rage by TheEnemyOfReality starting 7th of December 2018

The Mangy Lion by Puddinhead starting 14th of December 2018

Marking Time by annapurna_2 starting 22nd of December 2018

Siren Song by Morgana starting 18th of January 2019

Bitty Buffy and Mr Gordo Make an Impression by HCB starting 15th March 2019

Do you Believe? by Rebcake starting 29th March 2019

Mortal Enemies by Laure Alexander starting 5th April 2019

Fin Amour by Angearia starting 12th April 2019

Are We Just Friends?/Just A Summer Romance by slaymesoftly starting 26th of April 2019

Hunger by sunalso starting 3rd of May 2019

Strip Snap by Lilachigh 70 k starting 24th of May 2019

Ties That Bind by rainsrabble starting 12th of July 2019

Autumn's Advancing by Cosmic Tuesdays 12k words starting 26th of July 2019

Fixing The Factors by ImmortallySpuffy 113k starting 9th of August 2019

Green Smoke And Empty Mirrors by apprenticebard 42k starting 30th August 2019

The Ethnocentrism of Vampthropology by Touchstoneaf 46k words starting 13th September 2019

Paper Promise by Jess Marie 31k starting 11th of October 2019

A Ghost Of A Chance by sabershadowkat 26k starting 18th of October 2019

Six Foot Deep by Kita 15k starting 25th of October 2019

Lost In Time by seductiveembrace 170k, starting 15th Novenber 2019

Can I Rest Now by Eve 8k, starting 22nd November 2019

Let Nothing You Dismay by Constance 20k starting 6th December 2019

Merry Christmas Spike by Dutchbuffy 42k, starting 20th December 2019

That I May Cease To be by cousinjean 18k,
    starting 7th February 2020

Clearance by Treacle Antlers 17k, starting 21st February 2020

Scars by JamesMFan 69k,
    starting 13th March 2020

A New Dawn by kally77 42k starting 3rd April 2020

Next to be discussed

Best Laid Plans by LavenderBixby 102k

Si Primo Venit by KittenOfDoomage 133k

Carnivorous Carnival by Bewildered

Affinity by Ginmar 45 chapters on AllAboutSpike

And Here We Go Round Again by Megan 122k

Betrayed, Forgotten, Abandoned by Loup Noir 159k

The Cyrano Factor by medievalchic 81k

Love and Blackmail by Lirazel 15k

Driving Till Dawn by PrettyPoppy (one-shot)

Achilles Heel by Elizabeth (one-shot)

The Waiting Season by Annie Sewell-Jennings 11k

Tabula Rasa Ad Aeternum by Kallysten (Kally77) & Kantayra 68k

Starlight by Ariane 27k

Previously suggested:
    Spoiler:
    Demons I Have Known by Gwennie
    Etched in Stone by Flowerofthewolf
    Frontierland by Gort
    Dreamer by Gort
    Always come back to you by Baphrosia
    Echoes by Holly
    Blood Of the Sire by BuffymeetsSpike
    Beloved in Blood by Holly
    Prophecy And Warmth by TheBear
    What If I Loved You? by slaymesoftly
    Prologue To Life/I know You by slaymesoftly
    Not a One Night Stand by slaymesoftly
    Buffy, Season Noir by Anna S.
    The Chiaroscuro series by Miss Murchinson 285k words
    Offers You Can't Refuse by sweetprincipale 256k words
    Origins by niamh 131k words

We usually start discussions on a Friday. The discussions take place in a separate thread for each story. I will create the thread a week or two (depending on the length of the story) before the discussion takes place. You are very welcome to join us. We would be happy to see you around!

flow
    Last edited by flow; 16-03-20, 09:51 PM.
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

I have some more fics to suggest for our little fanfic club. Please let me know what you'd like to read:

The Waiting Season by Annie Sewell-Jennings 11k

This Story is by a very well known Spuffy writer from times past who usually gets a lot of praise. Her fics are said to be rather dark. I think her most famous stories are Hard Candy and The Ballad of Joan and Randy. This story is a prequel to another story called Waking The Dead. The sequel unfortunately is a permanent WIP.

Spiegel im Spiegel by fallowdoe 51k

This story is a bit longer but still a rather short novel-length piece. I can't remember how I stumbled across it, who recced it to me or in which season it even takes place. The thing that caught my attention in the first place was probably the title which is German and means something like "Mirror in the mirror". It's also the title of a 70s composition which might or might not be referenced.

Driving Till Dawn by PrettyPoppy
    This was a Seasonal Spuffy entry in 2018. I have no word count but it is rather short and I presume Dawn will make an appearance.

Shards: A Series by Europania 36k words
    Buffy travels through dimensions post Chosen and meets other versions of Spike.

When One Door Closes by married_n_mich 11k
    This is an Anne-fic, meaning Buffy has left Sunnydale after becoming Part 2 and now works as an waitress. It's one of my favorite Spuffy fic tropes.

Achilles Heel by Elizabeth
    Another story I bookmarked for later reading and don't actually remember why or how or who recced it to me. It seems to be season 4ish and rather short.

I would proceed with Clearance by Treacle Antlers next if everyone is fine with it.

flow

Last edited by flow; 10-02-20, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Thanks as always for putting time into looking out fic read ideas flow.

I think I've only read one fic by Annie Sewell before (Illumination), so I'd be happy to read another of hers. My only reservation on this one is whether it works as a story in its own right as it is a prequel. I would be disappointed if it ended feeling like it was a WIP as the sequel isn't complete.

I'm less interested in Spiegel so I think it would depend on how busy I was. My understanding of that one is that it is a post apocalyptic world following The Gift. I do have a copy, it just hasn't appealed to me to read it so far. Again with Shards, it doesn't appeal to me as much, so would probably depend on how much free time I had.

I'd go with Driving Till Dawn. I really like out of Sunnydale stories and have read When One Door Closes before so possibly wouldn't join in with that one. Achilles Heel is another I've read before but would be interested to see how/if my response to this one has changed, so I'd try to find the time for that one.

Happy to go with Clearance next.

Comment

I am happy to read anything. I've read at least one of these fics, but am happy to re-read.

Comment

I'll read anything. I do love Joan and Randy. Has our group ever read a Jandy story?

I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

Comment

• Priceless
            Priceless commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm sue we must have

Priceless: Do you have a good Ariane story you'd like to rec for our group read?

GoSpuffy: Do you have a specific Jandy story in mind? I have read some myself but I have yet to find the one and only perfect Jandy story. It's difficult to write Jandy. They are too flawless. So sweet and in love The one I mentioned by Annie Sewell-Jennings isn't strictly speaking a Jandy story.

flow

Comment

I have been looking for Jandy stories as per GoSpuffy's request and found Tabula Rasa Ad Aeternum by Kallysten and Kantarya. It's about 68k words and complete on AO3. Is anyone up for reading this?

Shall we proceed with Scars which has a 69k word count? I would create the thread next Friday and give everyone two weeks before the discussion starts. But since it is a longer fic, please feel free to already start reading now if you want to. from next Friday on you can also start making comments while you are going through the story and hide the comments under spoilers until the discussion opens.

flow

Comment

I'm happy to read anything flow

Comment

I read the Tabula Rasa story before and I'm not sure I'd read it again, but obviously that doesn't stop everyone else. I'm inconsistent in managing to join anyway. But I'm looking forward to rereading Scars so I'll try to get that read in time for sure.

Comment

We will proceed with A New Dawn by Kallysten (Kally 77). She was a very prolific Spuffy writer in the early days of fandom. It will be interesting to explore how early Spuffy fanfic writing is different from contemporary writing. It's something we already wanted to discuss with Scars by JamesMFan and I am still interested in having a separate thread for this.

Does anyone have suggestions for fics we should read in the future? Priceless, is there maybe an Ariane fic you'd like us to read together? That would be another example of early Spuffy fanfic writing

flow

Comment

Does anyone have suggestions for fics we should read in the future? Priceless, is there maybe an Ariane fic you'd like us to read together? That would be another example of early Spuffy fanfic writing
                    I enjoyed Reality Bends to Desire, published in 2004 or Starlight from 2002.

https://web.archive.org/web/20170309...DreamsFIC.html

I'd be happy to re-read either of them

Comment

They both sound promising but I‘d go for the shorter one (which is Starlight).

flow

Comment

Originally posted by flow View Post
                        We will proceed with A New Dawn by Kallysten (Kally 77). She was a very prolific Spuffy writer in the early days of fandom. It will be interesting to explore how early Spuffy fanfic writing is different from contemporary writing. It's something we already wanted to discuss with Scars by JamesMFan and I am still interested in having a separate thread for this.
                        Ah I read A New Dawn about five years ago and would really like to reread it but I haven't finished Scars yet. I'm so rubbish at keeping up.

Comment

There is still time until April! And we will all be in quarantine by then and will have plenty of time to read.

flow

Comment

Originally posted by flow View Post
                            There is still time until April! And we will all be in quarantine by then and will have plenty of time to read.
                            If only. I've got the banner to do and unless others join and do some of the other styles I'll have to try to find time to do others and I'm slower at the fanarting than I am at reading. I know it's hard to believe, but honestly. I've grabbed a bunch of pics for the banner but I'm way off getting anything together. I've checked and I've only read about a fifth of Scars. I'm just a hermit snail, a dim & distant relative of the crab.

Comment

• Double Dutchess
                              Double Dutchess commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Hermit snail!!! I thnk I am one too, just didn't know it until now.
                          Working...
                          X