This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Fic Discussion

Edit: You can suggest fics that you'd like to read and discuss within the fanfic discussion club here:

http://buffyforums.net/forums/forum/...scussion-group

This thread was originally intended to discuss possible stories for the group reads but went off on a tangent discussion a couple of fics so the suggestion thread has been recreated and this thread closed now.

flow

Since there seems to be an issue with threads that have more than 300 or 400 posts and our old suggestions thread has already reached 292 posts I thought I'd create a new thread. just in case.

This is the thread in which everyone is welcome to suggest Spuffy fanfics to our group reading. Everything is game. Old stories, new stories, epic ones or one-shots, crossover, AU, AH, time travel or haikus.

Below you will find a list of stories we have already read and discussed, of stories that have been suggested (but not yet picked) and of stories that have been picked for a future discussion.

List of discussion threads

A Better Man by Sunalso 13th April 2018
    Adieu, A Dew, I Do by Lizerrrbeathan 20th April 2018
    Journeys: A Promise To A Lady, by Mary 4th of May 2018
    Journeys: Awakenings, by Mary 11th of May 2018
    The Other Side Of Midnight by Holly 25th May 2018
    Wooded Path by Linnae13 1st June 2018
    Seven short fics within two weeks from 15th June 2018
    Long day`s Journey by anaross 13th July 2018
    Reflections by MsClawdia 20th July 2018
    Walking Midnight by aadler starting 1st August 2018
    Ahead of her Time by haylecc 3rd August 2018
    Colors by anaross starting 17th August 2018
    sex, lies and sonograms by Sabershadowkat starting 31th August 2018
    Debriefing Dana/Slayers memories by Hello_Spikey starting 21st September 2018
    Turn and Face the Strain series by Quinara
    - Part I The More Things Stay the Same starting 5th October 2018
    - Part II As Good as a Rest starting 12th October 2018
    - Part II Turn and Face the Strain starting 19th October 2018
    Whose Torment is this, Anyway? by Rebcake starting 2nd November 2018
    Life Harsh/Life Hard by Soulburnt starting whenever you are ready
    Home is where they Have to Let You In by slaymesoftly starting 9th November 2018
    Super Food World by Valerie X starting 23rd of November 2018
    Christmas Rage by TheEnemyOfReality starting 7th of December 2018
    The Mangy Lion by Puddinhead starting 14th of December 2018
    Marking Time by annapurna_2 starting 22nd of December 2018
    Siren Song by Morgana starting 18th of January 2019
    Bitty Buffy and Mr Gordo Make an Impression by HCB starting 15th March 2019
    Do you Believe? by Rebcake starting 29th March 2019
    Mortal Enemies by Laure Alexander starting 5th April 2019
    Fin Amour by Angearia starting 12th April 2019
    Are We Just Friends?/Just A Summer Romance by slaymesoftly starting 26th of April 2019
    Hunger by sunalso starting 3rd of May 2019
    Strip Snap by Lilachigh 70 k starting 24th of May 2019
    Ties That Bind by rainsrabble starting 12th of July 2019
    Autumn's Advancing by Cosmic Tuesdays 12k words starting 26th of July 2019
    Fixing The Factors by ImmortallySpuffy 113k starting 9th of August 2019
    Green Smoke And Empty Mirrors by apprenticebard 42k starting 30th August 2019
    The Ethnocentrism of Vampthropology by Touchstoneaf 46k words starting 13th September 2019
    Paper Promise by Jess Marie 31k starting 11th of October 2019
    A Ghost Of A Chance by sabershadowkat 26k starting 18th of October 2019
    Six Foot Deep by Kita 15k starting 25th of October 2019
    Lost In Time by seductiveembrace 170k, starting 15th Novenber 2019
    Can I Rest Now by Eve 8k, starting 22nd November 2019
    Let Nothing You Dismay by Constance 20k starting 6th December 2019
    Merry Christmas Spike by Dutchbuffy 42k, starting 20th December 2019

That I May Cease To be by cousinjean 18k,
    starting 7th February 2020

Suggestions under consideration

Demons I Have Known by gwennie
    Etched in Stone by Flowerofthewolf
    Frontierland by Gort
    Dreamer by Gort
    Always come back to you by Baphrosia
    Echoes by Holly
    Blood Of the Sire by BuffymeetsSpike
    Beloved in Blood by Holly
    Prophecy And Warmth by TheBear
    What If I Loved You? by slaymesoftly
    Prologue To Life/I know You by slaymesoftly
    Not a One Night Stand by slaymesoftly
    Buffy, Season Noir by Anna S.
    The Chiaroscuro series by Miss Murchinson 285k words
    Offers You Can't Refuse by sweetprincipale 256k words
    Origins by niamh 131k words

Next to be discussed
    Best Laid Plans by LavenderBixby 102k
    Si Primo Venit by KittenOfDoomage 133k
    Scars by JamesMFan 69k
    Carnivorous Carnival by Bewildered
    A New Dawn by kally77 42k on AO3
    Affinity by Ginmar 45 chapters on AllAboutSpike
    Clearance by Treacle Antlers 17k on ff.net
    And Here We Go Round Again by Megan 122k
    Betrayed, Forgotten, Abandoned by Loup Noir 159k
    The Cyrano Factor by medievalchic 81k
    Love and Blackmail by Lirazek 15k

Last edited by flow; 09-02-20, 05:59 PM.
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

I love demons I have known. It's one of my very favorites and i will gladly read it again with the group.

“I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

Comment

• Stoney
      Stoney commented
      Editing a comment
      In contrast it is a story I've definitely decided to never read.

I can't find Demons I Have Known anywhere on the net. Does anyone have a copy?

Comment

• Priceless
      Priceless commented
      Editing a comment
      Me neither, and I'd like a copy too if anyone has one?

I have a copy. Send me your emails and I will pass it along.

Demons has been suggested a while ago and there wasn’t a consent about reading and discussing it back the. It had partly to do with the fact that some of us had already read it and partly with the premise of the story (Scoobies and Dawn watching Spike and Buffy).

I left it on the suggestion list in case we want to get back to it. If people want to read and discuss it I will put it on the list of picked stories. I am up for it because I think it’s one of the best Spuffy stories ever.

flow

Comment

I didn't read it the first time because I seriously disliked the premise. But because it seemed to get positive responses I asked a bit about it with someone who had read it then and just found that what I feared would actually happen in the story actually did, so it put me off further. It came up in conversation with someone else who had read it separately and they told me their very negative views of it against canon, a great deal of which just expanded on my existing concerns. So I'm really not ever going to read it when there are so many stories out there. Everyone else can decide to again of course, I often don't manage to join in each discussion.

Comment

This isn't the story where Dawn sets up Buffy to be raped is it? Because I'm not reading that again.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
          This isn't the story where Dawn sets up Buffy to be raped is it? Because I'm not reading that again.
          What? I've never read a story like that. Please tell me the name of the author and the title so I can safely avoid this story in the future.

Stoney:
          what I feared would actually happen in the story actually did,
          We have talked about this before and I know other people have issues too regarding the spell that makes the Scoobies and especially Dawn watch Spike and Buffy having sex. But I just want to clarify that this story does not dismiss the soul or it's importance nor does it put the blame for the AR on Buffy. Spike is pissed off at Buffy after Chosen but mainly because he thinks she lied when she told him she loved him in the Hellmouth and also because she kissed Angel.

At the moment there are eleven stories we have already agreed on reading and discussing. I only kept the other suggestions in case we run out of fics one day and want to go back to those we did not pick when they were first brought up for reading.

flow

Comment

What? I've never read a story like that. Please tell me the name of the author and the title so I can safely avoid this story in the future.
            I'm sure we read it in our Spuffy Fanfic Group.

We have talked about this before and I know other people have issues too regarding the spell that makes the Scoobies and especially Dawn watch Spike and Buffy having sex.
            Oh. How do they handle this? In which season is it set? Is Dawn a child? If so, I don't want to read this either.
            Last edited by Priceless; 02-02-20, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by flow View Post
              We have talked about this before and I know other people have issues too regarding the spell that makes the Scoobies and especially Dawn watch Spike and Buffy having sex. But I just want to clarify that this story does not dismiss the soul or it's importance nor does it put the blame for the AR on Buffy. Spike is pissed off at Buffy after Chosen but mainly because he thinks she lied when she told him she loved him in the Hellmouth and also because she kissed Angel.
              I think it is a matter of interpretation though flow because it isn't just about the spell. The other person that had read it all told me they reacted very badly to how Buffy was treated through the story and really disliked it. They went into quite a lot of details about what happened in the story and how they felt about it and I really strongly dislike the insertions it attempts to make to canon and the negative impact I felt they brought and suggested about the relationship. It's interesting that it provokes very different reactions in people that have read it, but what concerned me about the story direction they felt was very much the direction the story did go, and the examples I read really confirmed it. I just don't want to read that. But of course that doesn't stop others doing so, or feeling very differently about it.

Likewise I've never read a fic about Dawn setting up Buffy to be raped either, that sounds horrible and not something I'd choose to read either.
              Last edited by Stoney; 02-02-20, 06:43 PM. Reason: Rephrased aspects.

Comment

We read this story as part of the seven short stories we read quite a while ago. If I remember correctly Dawn was trying to get Buffy killed by Spike, not raped. Our opinions were different back then but they most often are, aren't they

Comment

Originally posted by flow View Post
                  We read this story as part of the seven short stories we read quite a while ago. If I remember correctly Dawn was trying to get Buffy killed by Spike, not raped. Our opinions were different back then but they most often are, aren't they
                  That does seem to quite often be the case, but it's part of what makes it interesting. I really don't remember the Dawn fic though, I must have managed to miss that one.

Comment

From what I remember, and I could be wrong, Dawn watches, quite happily. She's watching over a balcony with someone else? Does she have a friend with her? I'm old and my memory is going.

This Gwennie fic sounds in the same vein.
                    Last edited by Priceless; 02-02-20, 05:03 PM.

Comment

I need to get on with reading That I May Cease To be by cousinjean for this coming Friday. I know it's a shorter fic so I should manage it, but I've had it open on my computer for about a week and haven't managed to put time aside for it yet.

Comment

I just want to throw in that this discussion can be viewed by everyone, even by guests who are not registered members of this forum in. Although Moscow Watcher hasn't actively participated in discussions for a long time she is a member of this forum. I know we have talked about the problem of discussing fanfiction publicly before. If there is a need for it maybe we could ask the mods or admins if they can change this subforum to a more private setting?

What do you think?

Dawn ist watching Buffy having sex with Spike. Andrew is with her. The sex is consensual. Although I am not quite sure anymore if there was some kind of spell or potion involved but if so they were both affected.

flow
                        Last edited by flow; 02-02-20, 05:14 PM.

Comment

• Priceless
                          Priceless commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Quite right, and I've edited my posts. As all our threads have gone I can't go back and confirm my feelings, though I do remember I did not like it.

• Stoney
                          Stoney commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I have looked back and rephrased slightly in this thread. I do try to remember to consider how I'm wording my posts in the discussions but it's a good reminder that all threads could be viewed by the writers.

I think it's pretty obvious fanfic discussions in themselves could open the potential for criticism as well as praise. Making a section private seems to me to potentially reduce the possibility of people looking at activity and wanting to join in. It also has a possible implication of feeling the discussion including criticism as being something that is wrong perhaps, but I certainly don't think there is anything wrong with reading and critically discussing the stories we read. I appreciate that fanfiction writers often are just writing for pleasure and we're very lucky that they want to share those stories for free. Whilst I most definitely don't want to upset writers, we can be respectful in the way we discuss ways we disagree with writing choices as well as what we love. Considering how we phrase our comments is probably the most important aspect. You already have a notice for writers to consider the potential of hearing both negative and positive comments before entering a discussion thread that you tend to link as standard within the individual discussions. Though obviously that doesn't apply to general comments we could end up making in other threads, as we have had here, so it is definitely worth remembering how we phrase things is important as it is something that the writer themselves might see. I have no recollection of reading the story with Dawn setting up Buffy, but I can't imagine that a reader finding it unpleasant would be a surprise to the writer or the idea of some finding that premise off-putting to reading the story either. We could always make the fanfiction area private, I would imagine that is still an option (it isn't something I can do as a mod), but I personally don't think it is necessary.

EDIT: I appreciate I have made some critical/negative comments about another fic within this thread, and about another reader's pov of it too, so I will have a quick look back over to make sure I haven't been disrespectful. I think I did acknowledge that other people may respond differently and it was the direction I had perceived it may go that was confirmed to me that was why I don't choose to read it. Fics can always elicit many different responses and our opinions are always subjective.

Comment

Working...
                        X