Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let Nothing You Dismay by Constance starting 6th of December 2019

It’s almost December and we are going to start our Spuffy Christmas with

Let Nothing You Dismay by Constance on 6th December 2019.

You can find it on EF. I can’t link it at the moment and would be grateful if someone else does.

It’s 21k words and set in season 5

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

Here ya go.

https://dark-solace.org/elysian/view...1648&chapter=1

Comment

Let's get started with the discussion!

If anyone had read this story, that is. I have to admit I haven't. I had a rough week and I am contemplating quitting my job. So, I am not really in the mood for fluffy Christmas stories. But I promise I will read it and tune into the discussion over the weekend.

flow

Comment

Sorry to hear that you are having an unpleasant time at work flow.

I did read this fic earlier in the week. It is a story I've read in the past and remembered quite liking, although I didn't remember the details of it. I'm pretty sure I could see the main reason straight away, as I love the Spike/Dawn from the start. That is just such a fave bonus aspect in a story for me.

Generally I think this is an easy read and has some interesting interactions. I liked seeing the scenes from the different character points of view, particularly Spike's 'rescue' and the interactions around the attempted staking. I thought it was a clever aspect of the story. I enjoyed seeing Spike find a solution to the chip after realising his feelings for Buffy and getting a suggestion of how that might have played out instead. I appreciated how the writer found an alternate route to Spike needing to find out that he would fail to walk the line unsouled and how this greatly reflected big notes of what we saw in canon. I just wish we had seen more of the story that happens around the events given. I would have liked to have seen a lot more about the Initiative's plans and actions, how they managed to kidnap Buffy and why. I'd have loved to have seen Spike and Dawn do the spell and all their interactions during that. Spike's decision to sedate her and how he managed it. Then there's the time Spike spent away from Sunnydale trying to prove he could walk the line by his will alone, his struggles and failures. His resulting decision to go and get his soul.

It is an enjoyable light read, but it could have been so much more if we had gotten to read about a lot of what happened off screen. Regardless though, I do like it. It's just a little light for me, so there's not enough there to love it. But it is nice and quite unusual to read something that is canon compliant by approaching the same markers through a suggested alternate story route.

Comment

Sorry to hear you're going through a tough time flow. I hope you feel better soon.

I haven't read this fic yet, but hopefully I'll read it tomorrow. I've been too busy.

- - - Updated - - -

I've just started it and am shocked straight away when Spike tells Dawn to '**** off little sis'. I cannot imagine Spike talking to Dawn like this at all. I did enjoy their banter and the way Dawn shows him little respect. I did find it hard to believe Joyce would leave her two daughters alone for Christmas.

I really enjoyed the 'tables turned' aspect of the story, with Spike having all the physical power, but without Buffy being turned into someone else, like a 17th century girl etc. She was still Buffy, but without the strength and I liked that. Enjoyed the banter between Buffy and Spike, though Spike felt just a touch too angry and mean. Buffy was still very much the Slayer, knowing she'd have to stake him one day, and I appreciated that. In so may fics all Spike has to do is look at Buffy a certain way and she forgets who she is, here she know's who she is and what she has to do.

Enjoyed this fic a lot. It was funny and well written. I loved the ending, which I thought was very funny, and the epilogue was the cherry on the cake. It feels like this is the start of a beautiful friendship which can only blossom into something more.

Comment

Every once in a while I get a feeling I have read every well written Spuffy fic that's out there and then I stumble across a story like this one and it takes my breath away.

I really loved this story from all of my heart. there were many things I like to read in fanfics. Spike&Dawn friendship. Spike's voice which was really spot on here and one of the bests I've ever read. Humor. Lots and lots of it. I laughed out loud so many times. A nice plot with Buffy mistaking Spike's rescue mission as an evil scheme and trying to stake him. That was very cleverly written.

But the bonus that makes this fic even better was both Spike and Buffy staying so true to their characters. Spike is in love with Buffy (soulless) but he is still evil. Evil enough at least. Buffy realizes that. She realizes he can't just be good "for her". It's not enough. That's why she has to send him away. The epilogue changes the tone of the story drastically but it's appropriate. Spike's decision to get the soul is not an immediate fix-it. It's not, like he said on the show, moonbeams and pennywhistles. He suffers and I like the idea that he would come back to let himself be staked by Buffy. Allow himself to see her one last time, allow herself to rest assured he won't go on killing. And although Buffy doesn't kill him and even offers him to stay she does not fall into his arms. The writers go down the same path the show did but with an altogether different plot.

I don't feel as if some scenes are missing. I was confused myself when Spike turned up with a drugged Dawn on the back seat of his car and it made Buffy's confusion so much more relatable, especially since we saw that scene from her POV. The Initiative obvious got defeated a second time by Buffy and whatever their plans were, they were evil. I actually liked the fact that a whole year had passed by and it's Christmas time again when Spike comes back. It makes it even more plausible that he could have tried to stay good for a while, then failed once or even several times, then made plans for a trip to Africa and finally tried to come to terms with the repercussions of the soul before he finally returned to Sunnydale.

I am so happy I read this, especially after having had such a miserable. week. I'd easily give this story a nine out of ten.

I have already bookmarked the other completed stories by this author and I am excited to read them

flow

Comment

I agree with both flow and Stoney in that it would have been great to see those 'missing scenes', because Constance is such a good writer i know they'd be well written and fun. But at the same time I don't miss not having those scenes. I really enjoyed what we got, and was happy with it and didn't need anymore.

Comment

I think it works as a story without them, I just love stories that give more detail and depth and would have loved the story a whole level up if I'd seen more of what had happened as it all sounded so interesting. There are times when I'm reading a story and it drags and I skim read or just wish I could read faster(!), but times like this when I feel disappointed that events are only nodded to when I could have had mooooore generally show that I was really enjoying the story premise and writing. I'd have loved for this fic to be longer, but I am still pleased to have read it again as it is too.

Comment

I'm soooooo busy but now I have to read this......

“I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

Comment

Originally posted by flow View Post
                    Let's get started with the discussion!

If anyone had read this story, that is. I have to admit I haven't. I had a rough week and I am contemplating quitting my job. So, I am not really in the mood for fluffy Christmas stories. But I promise I will read it and tune into the discussion over the weekend.

flow
                    So, I’m idly flicking through the forum and I go into my profile to find out what my Spuffy group mates are up to, and here you all are!

Really sorry you’re having such a rubbish time, flow. It’s awful when you hate your work.

Anyway, leaving now. Enjoy your reading. Sounds like a corker.

Hugs to you all!

Debbicles

Edited to say I’ve just realised that sounds very stalkerish! That’s technology for you, though.
                    Last edited by debbicles; 08-12-19, 09:12 PM. Reason: Stalking
                    You know what I am. You've always known. You come to me all the same.

"There's a lot of comedy to be gotten from the world's doom spiral right now." Tracey Ullman, June 2018

Comment

I really enjoyed this one too. I'm glad I found the time to read it

“I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

Comment

Originally posted by debbicles View Post
                        Edited to say I’ve just realised that sounds very stalkerish! That’s technology for you, though.
                        This really made me laugh. Edited for stalking. Unless a member has checked to not show when they appear online there are multiple ways you can see whether someone is on and also where they are, or when they were last on. So you really don't have to feel stalkerish, it's there to be seen. Like I just scrolled down the bottom of the page and saw... I was the only one on here.

Comment

Working...
                        X