Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

No HTML

HTML is turned off for security reasons.

Please do not use html in your posts or messages. If you are copy and pasting something from another website and you are having problems with it showing, then it may have html in it. This could be in the form of a website link or a viewable image or an emoji or a special chacter. I am not sure this is the reason we have errors posting.

Some html code can be simply swapped with our Bulletin Board code by changing the greater than/ less than signs with bracket signs. Other BB code needs to done using the buttons in the advanced post editor.
2 of 2 < >

Home Page

The home page address has changed to: http://buffyforums.net/forums/
Please update your bookmark. Otherwise, the home page does not show you are logged in and/or will not let you type into the log in box in the top right. The link at Buffyforums.net to the forums has not yet been updated. So you will experience the error when you enter the forum through that link.
See more
See less

Six Foot Deep by Kita starting 25th October 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Six Foot Deep by Kita starting 25th October 2019

We are going to discuss another shorter fic. Only 15k words and you can find it on All About Spike:

Six Foot Deep by Kita

http://www.allaboutspike.com/fic.html?id=673

Summary:

DISTRIBUTION: Yup, just let us know where.
    SPOILERS: Through "Wrecked."
    COUPLE PAIRING: Spike/Buffy. Yes, Donna and Jess are writing Spike/Buffy. The moon should be turning to blood any day now.
    SUMMARY: Resurrection is a bitch.
    RATING: Errr. Ummm... R? Sex. Violence. Dead squirrels. Really gross French poetry.
    DISCLAIMER: What's the Numfar of this fic? Joss is the malevolent god that owns all.

The discussion will start next Friday!

Dear Kita, if you have found your way to this thread, please be so kind as to read this:

http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/sh...re-you-proceed!

before you proceed. Thank you for your consideration. Please feel welcome to join in the discussion. We would be delighted and honored.

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

I have already started to read it and want to warn you that there is also Bangel.

Still very good though.

flow

Comment

The discussion is officially opened!

This story absolutely blew me away. I researched the write and found out she mainly wrote for Spangel. This seems to be her only Spuffy fic and it explains while it has quite a lot Angel and also some Bangel in it. I did have to get used to the Bangel bits but I am so happy for once with a fic that actually portrays Angel in a realistic way and acknowledges how much he and their relationship meant for Buffy.

The Spuffy parts are much darker than the Bangel parts and this story doesn't idealize their season 6 affair at all. It's raw, it's dirty and it's hurting. The story ends with the conclusion that Buffy embraces death and Spike embraces life and thus pretty much hits the nail.

This is one of the best fics I've read in quite a while and I am very happy we picked it for our group reading.

flow

Comment

Originally posted by flow View Post
        The discussion is officially opened!

This story absolutely blew me away. I researched the write and found out she mainly wrote for Spangel. This seems to be her only Spuffy fic and it explains while it has quite a lot Angel and also some Bangel in it. I did have to get used to the Bangel bits but I am so happy for once with a fic that actually portrays Angel in a realistic way and acknowledges how much he and their relationship meant for Buffy.

The Spuffy parts are much darker than the Bangel parts and this story doesn't idealize their season 6 affair at all. It's raw, it's dirty and it's hurting. The story ends with the conclusion that Buffy embraces death and Spike embraces life and thus pretty much hits the nail.

This is one of the best fics I've read in quite a while and I am very happy we picked it for our group reading.

flow
        I forgot about this and haven't read it yet, I'm trying to catch up with the rewatch and post on Lessons first. But I have to say that sentence really put me off reading it. If the story ends in such a bleak place for Buffy but raises Spike up like that it sounds pretty negative and morose. I mean it isn't where S6 finished for them both. I can just look at the current situation in British politics and impending Brexit if I want to feel low.

Comment

Stoney:
          I forgot about this and haven't read it yet, I'm trying to catch up with the rewatch and post on Lessons first. But I have to say that sentence really put me off reading it. If the story ends in such a bleak place for Buffy but raises Spike up like that it sounds pretty negative and morose. I mean it isn't where S6 finished for them both. I can just look at the current situation in British politics and impending Brexit if I want to feel low.
          Hm. I probably expressed myself badly. The fic doesn't end with Grave but it ends at some point in their season 6 affair before they break up. It describes why they both enter into this relationship. It does not idealize Spike at all. It simply states what they are. There is a quote from the fic I was referring to but I will put in in spoiler brackets in case you still want to read the fic. It's just one line, this not really spoiling but I leave it up to you to either read it or not

Spoiler:
          He knows, of course he knows. That he ****s her to feel alive, and she ****s him to feel dead. But he figures, poetic justice. Even trade.

The fic itself is very bleak. You will get more positive vibes from current parliamentary discussions, but I do think it fits because season 6 was a bleak season as well. It did not end bleak with Buffy climbing out of the dark place she was stuck in and Spike earning his soul. But the story does not cover those events. It ends before.

flow

Comment

Ah okay, that's different. I can see why someone who isn't much of a fan of the relationship might end a story at that point, before they exit the damage they're doing and move on, but as it is just a snapshot of what was happening at the time it's fair enough. It doesn't sound like they have tried to twist what was going on but have just viewed a specific chunk. Obviously you could argue in doing that it does reduce the relationship to its most corrosive point, but that doesn't mean that it wouldn't be an interesting examination of that point of it anyway. I will still give it a read when I finish up my rewatch post.

Comment

This fic is incredibly well written, perhaps one of the best I've read. Kita uses language in a way that really resonates with the characters, it's harsh yet poetic, very adult, bleak and painful. I loved it for that.

The story was incredibly bleak. There was no love between Spike and Buffy, their love was reserved for Angel, who continually walked away and really didn't want or couldn't have, either of them. You could say Angel was the star of this fic, the fluid centre that Spike and Buffy build their stories around. I don't mind that, I can understand why both Spike and Buffy fell for Angel, but I much prefer it when they come to their senses and see what they need in each other rather than Angel, who is withholding and will always walk away from them.

I'd recommend this fic to all BtVS fans, but with a warning that no one gets what they want, or gets a happy ending. Even Cordy is written as quiet miserable and down at heel, so when I say this fic is bleak, it really is bleak

Comment

I didn't enjoy it because of the bleakness. The beginning was better than the end for me so I think it got bleaker as it went on. I found the last chapter completely depressing. I like my spuffy with a side of banter topped with humor so this wasn't for me.
                ā€œ

I like who I am when Iā€™m with him. I like who we are together.ā€

Comment

Originally posted by GoSpuffy View Post
                  I didn't enjoy it because of the bleakness. The beginning was better than the end for me so I think it got bleaker as it went on. I found the last chapter completely depressing. I like my spuffy with a side of banter topped with humor so this wasn't for me.
                  Yes, I was glad it was only four chapters. It fitted with the story, and was written really well, but I didn't like the strangulation. I didn't want Spike to do it, because he knew that it was just feeding Buffy's suicidal tendencies and he'd care about her too much to do that. But there was no reprieve from the bleakness at all.

Comment

Which speaks of a negative view of the relationship to me. That doesn't mean it can't be an interesting story, well written or work for a snapshot of S6 I hasten to add, things definitely were very corrosive and problematic, but it does seem to imply the writer's opinion about them overall is greatly affected by a specific perspective of their relationship that season (appreciating I'm only going at this point from what everyone has said).

Comment

Well, this was depressing, but I liked it very much. As others said, it's very bleak, but I dig this kind of fics. I wonder what that says about me, hmmm. I wish it would continue, or there would be a sequel that would cover s7.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
                        Which speaks of a negative view of the relationship to me. That doesn't mean it can't be an interesting story, well written or work for a snapshot of S6 I hasten to add, things definitely were very corrosive and problematic, but it does seem to imply the writer's opinion about them overall is greatly affected by a specific perspective of their relationship that season (appreciating I'm only going at this point from what everyone has said).
                        I honestly don't know how the writer felt about Spuffy, but from this fic, I would guess she doesn't see it in a positive light, from either characters perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
                          Well, since the writer is known for writing Spangel (and according to fanlore she has been quite famous within the fandom back in the day) I'd say she isn't a die-hard Spuffy shipper. But I wouldn't say she is picturing their relationship negatively. She pictures it as it was at a certain point in time. It doesn't develop from there because the story ends. She neither destroy them or their affair. She just leaves them somewhere (I think) between Wrecked and AS You Were without touching on the canon events of those episodes. She does add things to their sexual relationship, for example, that they use strangulation as a kink while having sex. That's not a canon of course and you could easily argue that it is out of character for both of them. But there is some sort of a death wish on Buffy's behalf and there is the tendency to do whatever the woman he loves wants him to do on Spike's behalf and therefore that part works for me.

It is definitely a snapshot, as you said. It's not at all a story that is offering any solution or accompanying the characters on a path to change and growth with the characters. It just stops before that happens but it is not ruling out that it could happen either.

flow

Comment

Working...
                          X