Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

No HTML

HTML is turned off for security reasons.

Please do not use html in your posts or messages. If you are copy and pasting something from another website and you are having problems with it showing, then it may have html in it. This could be in the form of a website link or a viewable image or an emoji or a special chacter. I am not sure this is the reason we have errors posting.

Some html code can be simply swapped with our Bulletin Board code by changing the greater than/ less than signs with bracket signs. Other BB code needs to done using the buttons in the advanced post editor.
2 of 2 < >

Home Page

The home page address has changed to: http://buffyforums.net/forums/
Please update your bookmark. Otherwise, the home page does not show you are logged in and/or will not let you type into the log in box in the top right. The link at Buffyforums.net to the forums has not yet been updated. So you will experience the error when you enter the forum through that link.
See more
See less

Ties That Bind by rainsrabble starting 12th July 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ties That Bind by rainsrabble starting 12th July 2019

It's time to start another discussion!

I have been asked to pick a long fic and therefore we will next be reading Ties That Bind by rainsrabble. This story is set in season 4/season 5 and has a wordcount of about 112k words.

When Spike comes to Buffy for help they are forced onto an unexpected path. A bond is forged in blood and a big bad looms. Buffy can handle the Apocalypse no problem, it's her attraction to Spike that she can't seem to slay.

https://dark-solace.org/elysian/view...t=ok&warning=5

Discussion will start next Friday, 12th July. Let's get the party started!

Dear rainsrabble, if you have found your way to this thread, please be so kind as to read this:

http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/sh...re-you-proceed

before you proceed. Thank you for your consideration. Please feel welcome to join in the discussion. We would be delighted and honored.

flow

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

And for those of us (only me then?) who prefer to read on AO3, here is the AO3 link as well:

https://archiveofourown.org/works/12...pters/27241044

To be honest, the tags don't inspire much confidence in me that I will like this story.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

Comment

Is it the Mating Bites, Mating Rituals that put you off Double Dutchess? They're things that I don't particularly enjoy reading.

Comment

Yes, and the Mating Bond. It all sounds much too claim-like to me. Explicit Sexual Content I have no problem with

Comment

I read this a very long time ago but I'll try to reread if I can. There's a good chance I won't manage the deadline as a fanart deadline falls the day before and I still haven't managed to carve time out to do that yet.

Comment

I have to fess up. I haven't even started reading this fic yet and I won't find the time before the week after the next. If anyone is already up for the discussion I am happy for it to start on Friday and I will put my two cents in later. However, if you all tell me you haven't made it through yet, I would suggest to postpone the start of the discussion for another two weeks.

flow

Comment

Maybe we could do this story on the comment as you go style? We've done that before and it has worked out.

I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

Comment

I have started it, but I didn't get far. I don't think it's really my sort of fic and I'm not sure I'll end up reading it.

I did enjoy the opening, where rainsrabble explains why she revamped the fic. It was nicely honest.

I admit I was put off by the tags, but I also found the instant attraction between Buffy and Spike a little unbelievable. At one point Buffy becomes mesmerised by how Spike eats pizza.

Comment

I think I'd like to watch Spike eating pizza.

I haven't gotten to rereading this yet and I'm still finding it hard to find free time for the fanart piece I need to do first. I will still try to get to it but it won't be until towards the middle/end of next week I'd expect.

Comment

GoSpuffy: Yes, surely. I will open the discussion as promised on Friday and will start as soon as possible my own read and just comment as I read along. Good plan!

flow

Comment

Sigh...I couldn't read it because every time I started it I had the urge to listen to the Bruce Springsteen track. True story...I have Springsteen ear-worm now.
                      sigpic

Comment

I started reading it, but like Priceless I gave up. Since the discussion hasn't officially started yet I'll put the reasons between spoilers.

Spoiler:
                        The main reason was that from the start, I didn't like how Buffy was portrayed. It seemed like all she could think about all the time was Spike -- his yummy abs and eyes cheekbones and how sexily he did everything, including the pizza eating. I found this constant drooling and obsessing over Spike very annoying. And then the whole mating thing (which is in itself a turnoff for me) happened and made things even worse. So I stopped reading halfway chapter 4.

Comment

I've made it to chapter 10. This seems to fall under the PWP designation to me. It's not to be taken seriously, it's not a character study or designed to explore anything in depth. It's a light hearted fun romp. It takes place in early S4 and I think it's kind of a different something blue spell. Buffy and Spike were all over each other in that episode so I guess from that perspective it fits. It's easy to read and funny in parts. I like it.

- - - Updated - - -

Ha! There are something blue quotes in chapter 11. This is a rewrite of something blue, I totally called it

Comment

Discussion is officially opened now!

flow

Comment

I think I'm the only one who read it? I enjoyed it. It's got some stuff that is OOC but not if you consider that this is a Something Blue jump off and everyone's under a spell. I was expecting a S4 storyline with Faith and then BAM it's S5. This makes sense from the perspective that Spike protecting Dawn is again used to help Buffy realize her true feelings. I really like spuffy stories mixed with a liberal dose of humour and this was funny.

I'm not a claim or mating bond hater. They kind of confuse me. I don't remember them ever being mentioned in the show. Where did they come from? I just roll with them because they're so common. In truth I kind of like Spike refusing to drink from Buffy. Because it's wrong. And that's an Angel thing, along with the being lame, hair that goes straight up, and being bloody stupid. Spike is better than that. I was shocked when S11 went there but I guess it's canon now although it didn't seem sexual or to create a bond. Or did I miss something?

Comment

Working...
                              X