Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

No HTML

HTML is turned off for security reasons.

Please do not use html in your posts or messages. If you are copy and pasting something from another website and you are having problems with it showing, then it may have html in it. This could be in the form of a website link or a viewable image or an emoji or a special chacter. I am not sure this is the reason we have errors posting.

Some html code can be simply swapped with our Bulletin Board code by changing the greater than/ less than signs with bracket signs. Other BB code needs to done using the buttons in the advanced post editor.
2 of 2 < >

Home Page

The home page address has changed to: http://buffyforums.net/forums/
Please update your bookmark. Otherwise, the home page does not show you are logged in and/or will not let you type into the log in box in the top right. The link at Buffyforums.net to the forums has not yet been updated. So you will experience the error when you enter the forum through that link.
See more
See less

Are We Friends?/Just A Summer Romance by slaymesoftly starting on 26th April 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are We Friends?/Just A Summer Romance by slaymesoftly starting on 26th April 2019

I am such a moron! I completely forgot to announce our next fic on last Friday. We will be reading and discussing

Are We Friends/Just a Summer Romance by slaymesoftly [NC-17]

from Friday 26th of April 2019 on. Because it has a word count of almost 70k words, I wanted to give everyone two weeks time to read it. The time span is now not only shorter but we are also heading towards the Easter Holidays. If you need more time, please let me know and I will extend the time limit.

There were four stories by slaymesoftly to pick from but this one (actually they are two) got the most votes.

Summary: The first story begins in the summer before season 5 and they go on into the season, but totally noncanon after the summer's possible fill-in-the-blanks. Which is probably pretty non-canon too, actually.

You can find this story on EF, ff.net, TBSV, TSR but unfortunately not on AO3. I don`t know why it`s not archived ther because slaymesoftly has a lot of her stuff on AO3. Just not those two stories. I hope everyone is okay with reading on one of the other sites.

https://dark-solace.org/elysian/view...t=ok&warning=5

https://bloodshedverse.com/stories.php?go=read&no=717

https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/v....php?sid=24981

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9674307/1/Are-We-Friends

flow

ETA:

Dear slaymesoftly, if you have found your way to this thread, please be so kind as to read this:

http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/sh...re-you-proceed!

before you proceed. Thank you for your consideration. Please feel welcome to join in the discussion. We would be delighted and honored.

- - - Updated - - -

I`d like to suggest for this thread that those of you, who have finished the story long before the officcial opening date simply post their comments early and put them into spoiler brackets.

flow
    Last edited by flow; 14-04-19, 07:39 PM.
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

Just read it - which means I won't be able to remember a damned thing about it when you discuss it.
    sigpic

Comment

Put your thoughts down right now and use the spoiler brackets!

flow

Comment

Originally posted by flow View Post
        Put your thoughts down right now and use the spoiler brackets!

flow
        I don't have that much to say. "I don't think I share the same mind-set as the author" just about covers it.
        sigpic

Comment

I started reading and might have to stop.

flow

Comment

Originally posted by flow View Post
            I started reading and might have to stop.

flow
            Oh you have to tell us why! Put it in spoilers if needs be

Comment

I`m out. I`m gonna tell you why when the discussion is opened. If I put it in brackets now, you`ll probably be sneaking.

flow

Comment

I'll try to get to reread it but I've a handful of things on my to dos that I'd have to clear first. I don't want to hold everyone else up though so if I don't make the deadline and everyone else does then just ignore. me.

I often find I don't share the same mind-set as the authors (probably in great part because I honestly don't want to change canon), but I can still enjoy the story. Most don't offend or greatly antagonise me.

Comment

I wasn't offended or antagonized - I rarely get that involved. I just didn't find the characterization in keeping with my own ideas.

flow:

If I put it in brackets now, you`ll probably be sneaking.
                  : You told me to use brackets!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TriBel View Post
                    I wasn't offended or antagonized - I rarely get that involved.
                    Sure, me neither. I wasn't saying that you were offended or antagonised by this, it was more that for me not sharing the mindset of the author is pretty commonplace if the fic is looking a great deal at wanting to change things rather than wanting to expand on what was. But I can still like reading the ideas and enjoy the stories in those cases, because I'm so rarely actually bothered on any serious level by a fanfic.

I see why feeling the characterisation or voicing were weak would make a story less enjoyable. Again I'd say it's not an unusual thing to feel about fanfics that want to change things. Or at least for some characters to be so as the writer turns it in the direction they'd like, even if it isn't all of them. There are some I'm less bothered by being 'off' than others, or some changes that bother me less. It's far too long since I read this one to know at all what I thought of it, but yours and flow's responses make me more interested to see if I can manage to reread to see what I think.

: You told me to use brackets!

Comment

flow:

: You told me to use brackets![/QUOTE]

Because I totally wanted to sneak!

flow

Comment

Well I've started reading and there's nothing so far that really grates on me. They are friends and they are going clubbing, which seems a bit odd, but everything can be odd in fanfic

Comment

that fic escalates very quickly for my tastes. Had to take a break after chappie 1. :/ will try to go back if I can manage to grapple with my thesis article readings lol.

Comment

I haven't re-read this in a long while, but I remember this being my first introduction to slaymesoftly's fiction, and she's a fanfic writer I love. So, based on my not very accurate memory...

Spoiler:
                            hidden spoilers removed, just in case peeking proved hard to resist!

I'm looking forward to re-reading it and seeing if I feel the same as before.
                            Last edited by SpuffyGlitz; 15-04-19, 11:47 PM.
                            buffylover made this stunning banner

Comment

Awwww - we are already getting into the discussion :-)

I don`t mind fics that go off the canon path. I`ve read fics with unsouled Spike past season 6 or even fics where Spike deliberately got rid of his soul. That doesn`t bother me at all. On the contrary. I think it gives me a new perspective. I don`t like claims at all, but I wouldn`t stop reading a fic because of a claim. I`ve come across many claim-fics. It`s what happens in a Spuffy fanfic moreoften than not.

I agree that Buffy and Spike seemed to be a bit teenage-y in this fic. Wanting to go out clubbing and so on. But I can perfectly go with the flow of such a characterisation. It was something else that threw me completley out of the loop. Ì won`t tell until you have all read this fic :-)

flow

Comment

Working...
                              X