Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are We Friends?/Just A Summer Romance by slaymesoftly starting on 26th April 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm with Angelusblanc, I found the escalation a bit much and, unlike SpuffyGlitz, I found it very difficult to suspend disbelief.

Sigh...there's no such thing as a "British drawl". There's no such thing as a British accent.
    sigpic

Comment

Ha! Well, I'll re-read whenever I can and see if I feel differently it's been a very long time so i can't remember the details. Didn't know there was a line about British accents, lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh shoot! Just realised this isn't being discussed yet! I assumed spoiler brackets were allowed.

(Well, I doubt anything I've said is going to be particularly accurate as it's loosely based on memory.)

But I've removed all the the text in the spoiler brackets just in case people are tempted to peek in advance.
      Last edited by SpuffyGlitz; 15-04-19, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Didn't know there was a line about British accents, lol.
        There are four "national" accents - English/Scottish/Welsh and Irish and god knows how many regional accents / dialects. I sound nothing like Spike (my accent's Midlands/North West England) and I sometimes have problems understanding someone with a broad North East accent.
        sigpic

Comment

I've heard of a Southern American drawl but never a British one, lol. I find accents fascinating.

TBH I'm stunned by the variety of British accents. Most don't sound remotely like the BBC accent/ colonial accent I grew up listening to- as a kid I niavely thought there was just one "British" accent and that was it (aside from some cockney accents sometimes heard in movies, which may not even be accurate who knows And it was before I watched Buffy.) There are also expressions I've never heard before - "He was stood there" instead of "He was standing there/ He stood there". It's all fascinating, and obviously there are many different regional dialects too. I sort of love them all.

Incidentally, was Spike correct to say "ass" instead of "arse"? Is his accent northern or southern? I've read contradictory accounts of it being one or the other.
          Last edited by SpuffyGlitz; 15-04-19, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by flow View Post
            I don`t mind fics that go off the canon path. I`ve read fics with unsouled Spike past season 6 or even fics where Spike deliberately got rid of his soul. That doesn`t bother me at all. On the contrary. I think it gives me a new perspective. I don`t like claims at all, but I wouldn`t stop reading a fic because of a claim. I`ve come across many claim-fics. It`s what happens in a Spuffy fanfic moreoften than not.
            I think if you're not willing/wanting to read fics that go off the canon path you'd be pretty restricted. Most early season fics would be total right offs (and to be honest those that just follow the story through the seasons tend to be dull to read). It depends greatly if you have any specific things you don't like to see changed. Spike's path/progression is what I love the most about the show, but I can read fics that I really enjoy a lot where he never goes in the same direction, even if I don't think they're anywhere near as good or well structured/supported as what we got. But where there are significant shifts in characterisation (such as fics as you say where Spike regrets his soul and actively chooses to lose it again, which I have read too), I tend to be more bothered if the perspective that goes with it really diminishes the positive story for the character that canon gave. There are some things I don't want to see people undermine and rewrite, and doing it after canon progresses the character to that point does that for me in a way that doing the same thing seasons before doesn't, so I tend to avoid reading them. There are soooo many fics that there's plenty to read that don't go there.

I agree that Buffy and Spike seemed to be a bit teenage-y in this fic. Wanting to go out clubbing and so on. But I can perfectly go with the flow of such a characterisation. It was something else that threw me completley out of the loop. Ì won`t tell until you have all read this fic :-)
            I can't remember it well enough. I really hope I manage to read it in time. I had wondered if the gem featured as I know you hate that but then I remembered that this was S5, so too late. I really want to try and see if I can tell what it was as I read.

Personally if I've read a fic way in advance I just draft a response about it and save it to my computer for when the discussion starts. I think when we post before the discussion date it just means that those that don't read as fast can miss the active discussion or people post too sporadically to each other and then don't actually discuss much.

SpuffyGlitz, I think arse is British and ass is American.
            Last edited by Stoney; 15-04-19, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Ah, ASH might have been pulling JM's leg then, he apparently guided him to say "ass" instead of "arse" in WML and JM ended up doing it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by SpuffyGlitz View Post
                Ah, ASH might have been pulling JM's leg then, he apparently guided him to say "ass" instead of "arse" in WML and JM ended up doing it that way.
                Can you remember the context of the line it was in reference to because if he meant ass like a donkey ('I feel like an ass') that would be different to referencing your posterior with ass or arse. It could also have been something that ASH suggested because JM was struggling to get the accent right for saying 'arse' so ASH suggested ass as a safer alternative. I don't know. But my hubby has commented that JM says bastards with an American accent, so there were some gaps.

Comment

Oh, I was wrong. It's not from WML. It's the scene from Innocence when Spike is getting irate and impatient with Judge.

Spike: (rolls his eyes) Yeah. (turns and wheels over to him) It's
                  interesting to me that 'preparing' looks a great bit like sitting on
                  your ass. (facing him) When do we destroy the world already?

Judge: My strength grows, and with every life I take it will increase
                  further.
                  It's quite probable that ASH might have felt JM wouldn't pronounce arse correctly and felt this would be better. Or JM said it wrong and blamed ASH lol. I'm never entirely trustful of JM's accounts - it was a quote from JM, not ASH I think.

Comment

I'm just getting started but I had to google "British drawl" which really just means speaking slowly with long drawn out vowels which Spike was want to do on occasion....I mean really, can you say "drama queen"?

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dic.../english/drawl

But the main reason I googled was I remembered this story being in the news http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/201...ritish-english which stated Americans from the Deep South (and eastern Canada) kept the 1800s English alive more accurately than those in England who were more influenced by larger population contaminations.

So I accept "British drawl" as a thing. But as a Canadian I apologize for my acceptance because you know, we're polite like that.
                    Last edited by GoSpuffy; 17-04-19, 05:23 PM.

“I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

Comment

Apology accepted

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                        Apology accepted
                        No...it isn't. Is West Country a drawl? God...I'd love to hear Spike sound Gloucester or Somerset! Cider not Whisky. Geordie - wouldn't need his big coat! Scouse...the stereotype dictates he'd be nicking hubcaps not knickers. Manc...he'd have to replace the duster with a parka. Midlands...he'd be calling everyone "duck".

Spike - if he came from the Potteries.

'Ah do, ow at, at owe rate?' - "Hello, how are you? Are you alright?"
                        'Dust want a paynt?' - "Do you want a pint of beer?"
                        'Ast got thee Oatckes?' - "Have you got your oatcakes?"
                        'Way anner!' - We have not!
                        Cost kick a bow agen' a woe, an y'ed it til it bosts?' "Can you kick a ball against a wall and head it until it bursts?"
                        'Ast goin up Anley Duck?' - Are you going to Hanley dear?
                        'Ast bin owready' - I've been already"
                        'Ast chewin th fat owd un?' - "Are you moaning my friend?"
                        'Thay't a narky wench!' - "You're a miserable young woman!"
                        'Mar lady is a rayt nosey parker!' - my wife is really nosey!"

TBH, I was surprised to find other countries didn't have the spread of accents/dialects we have in the UK (some estimates put it at 100 +). I just presumed it was a "thing" everywhere. Germany might have it...I'm fairly sure there's a difference between the Hunsruck and Munich (for example).
                        Last edited by TriBel; 17-04-19, 09:20 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

I just noticed the date, so I'm popping on my thoughts of the stories...

The shifts from canon characterisation were big imo and weren't explained or earned within the story itself. The story just presented these differing versions of the characters and then showed the creation of an alternate dynamic for the period it was set in. Some of the main events in the first fic - Buffy beating up Spike, when she offered her blood, the sex/attempted claim - also felt quite sudden in the story itself too. Even accepting the characters themselves were very different to canon, they weren't built up to. It was a quick easy read, but the shifts were substantial and weren't ones I'd wish for either character personally.

There was more to the sequel, unsurprising as it was a much longer story, but it was still light on wider storylines giving character exploration through additional plot elements. It again just revolved around the newly forming dynamic established between Buffy and Spike as they/it were introduced from the first fic. I suppose you could argue that her changing relationship with Riley was a plot point, but that was minimal really. The LA trip and claim were the main story points as I remember. I'm not anti claims in stories personally, so that didn't bother me like I know it does some people. It was what most of the uncertainty hung around and though it was pretty predictable I was fine with it being part of the story.

I do tend to get bored by extensive sex scenes and the corny lines you get in them and in these I gave a specific eye roll to sex beginning with Spike asking to be let in/Buffy inviting him in. The scoobies were basically absent throughout and Giles/Joyce written to be accepting of the relationship. Spike's past was ignored, his soullessness dismissed as he was idealised and the whole thing was pretty easy really. It felt that the ready acceptances were likely in great part to emphasise the negatives around Riley's responses/behaviour.

I was surprised by how little I enjoyed these as I'm pretty sure this writer is one I have read a lot of the stories of and I generally don't continue reading other fics by writers I haven't enjoyed. But they were light reads and reading in the group and talking about stories always makes me consider them more critically than I ever would have before. These will have been ones I read when first looking at fanfic too and I think it probably just shows how my expectations and wants from fanfics have shifted after reading so many. These definitely fit with other stories I've reread which have exposed how much I have come to appreciate canon compatibility in fics (characterisation especially). And I know I used to be far less bothered by vastly altered characterisation and tended to always be more interested in the general story and happy to go with the flow of general shifts/tangents off from earlier seasons. I think I can be less bothered by bigger characterisation swings if there's more happening alongside seeing the alternate characters and/or relationship dynamic and there wasn't enough else plot-wise in this for me any more perhaps. I still found some entertainment/interest in reconsidering again how someone chose to imagine everything to be so very different. I'd be interested to reread others of the same author's to see if I felt the same.

I'm aware I've ended up sounding incredibly negative. As I said, they are easy reads and I don't tend to think as much about them when I'm just reading and not putting my thoughts together about them. This is a writer I've read plenty of so I must have enjoyed them more in the past. To not be entirely negative, I'll end on what I did enjoy. I liked the date/LA trip and the inclusion of a familial bond between Angel and Spike the most.

- - - Updated - - -

Ooo, I just remembered that flow stopped reading it, interested to hear why???
                          Last edited by Stoney; 26-04-19, 05:56 PM.

Comment

As Stoney says, Buffy and Spike start the fic as friends, they bump into each other and go slaying together and it's fun and their relationship grows. Spike even helps Buffy with her poetry classes. Buffy appears quite childish and Spike is very much the gentleman. It felt like two teen friends who's relationship changes from friendship to romance. They agree to go clubbing together, for which Buffy seems incredibly grateful. I wasn't a fan of the '**** teasing bitch' line and Buffy worrying she'd lead him on, or all the guilt she supposedly felt.

It was a simple, easy to read fic. I felt neither Buffy or Spike were particularly in character, but that was okay. I haven't read the follow up yet, but hopefully will do by tomorrow.

Comment

I suppose that is true, they do present a sense of development over the summer from slaying buddies to romance, but it comes from nowhere really against canon. They're greatly other people from the start and you just roll with the scenario as it unfolds within the story rather than seeing it built from the show, if that makes sense. It's not surprising when they are so shifted in characterisation. Often when Spike is being idealised Buffy is infantilised.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
                                I suppose that is true, they do present a sense of development over the summer from slaying buddies to romance, but it comes from nowhere really against canon. They're greatly other people from the start and you just roll with the scenario as it unfolds within the story rather than seeing it built from the show, if that makes sense. It's not surprising when they are so shifted in characterisation. Often when Spike is being idealised Buffy is infantilised.
                                I've read a little of the second fic and I don't think it's for me. Spike is incredibly idealised and Buffy seems to be blamed for everything that's wrong in either of their lives. It's a bit too much for me. Though it's nicely written and an easy read, it's just not my sort of thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X