No announcement yet.

Do You Believe? by Rebcake starting on 29th March 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the explanation, flow! I can totally understand sticking to what you are used to, and being attached to the place where you first felt at home. I guess the big difference for me is that EF has never been a fandom home for me. (Sadly my first fandom home no longer exists, nor my second.)

When I started out reading fanfic I followed recs (mostly from LJ) to different places like All About Spike and the other websites you mentioned, or LJ itself. EF was just one of many places to read fanfic, and not the most prominent one (plus annoying to me because of the needing an account thing). Things have changed over the years, but I guess I never got into changing my mind about EF -- so you see how our different first experiences have formed our opinions!

AO3 on the other hand came up later, but I loved it from the start. I can see how the sheer amount of stories on there can be overwhelming, but I mainly just follow recs (or the links in the Sunnydale Herald) and if you already know the authors you love, all their stories are easy to find.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
    I always take copies of fics and read them in Word on my computer from the copy I made. Some sites are a pain to take copies from (like bloodshedverse), but plenty are easy.
    I used to copy all fics I read in Word and print them out (!) or put them on my e-reader to read, when I got one. Now I just read all fanfic on my phone. At least that way I can read fic in bed, outside, while traveling or basically any place I want. If I had to read from my computer, I'm sure I would never get around to reading anything...
    https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

Comment

Originally posted by Double Dutchess View Post
      I used to copy all fics I read in Word and print them out (!) or put them on my e-reader to read, when I got one. Now I just read all fanfic on my phone. At least that way I can read fic in bed, outside, while traveling or basically any place I want. If I had to read from my computer, I'm sure I would never get around to reading anything...
      I don't go out much so reading everything on my laptop is really convenient. I don't go far without it even when I do (it's my third and favourite child ). So if I'm staying overnight anywhere else it's with me.

When I first started reading fanfic I never took copies of stories but then I started noticing people requesting fics I'd read once but couldn't find anymore and so I started taking copies and working back through the ones I enjoyed the most to try and get copies of those too. The fading off of fandom has been a steady phenomenon since I came to fandom but I keep hoping this site will prevail.

Comment

Does anyone know a way on AO3 of recording that you've read a fic? One of the reasons I like EF is that if you've read a fic, it's recorded with a little tick next to the title. Is there such a thing on AO3?

Comment

I expect it should be possible to do that on AO3 if you have an account. Probably through the History function? Or the Bookmarks, or maybe there's still something else. I don't have an AO3 account myself, so unfortunately I can't tell you exactly how it works.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Dutchess View Post
            I expect it should be possible to do that on AO3 if you have an account. Probably through the History function? Or the Bookmarks, or maybe there's still something else. I don't have an AO3 account myself, so unfortunately I can't tell you exactly how it works.
            Thank's DD, I'll have to investigate further

Comment

Interesting:

https://cmci.colorado.edu/~cafi5706/...O3_Fiesler.pdf

Casey Fiesler, Shannon Morrison, Amy S. Bruckman (2016). An Archive of Their Own: A Case Study of Feminist HCI and Values in Design. In: Proceedings of the ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI ’16), 2016.

Comment

You guys! I totally missed this discussion, to my shame. I was in the middle of moving, which made everything hectic, but still!

I appreciate all the kind words about this little fic, which was one of my first — it was my first Seasonal_Spuffy entry, anyway. I was still hewing very close to canon at that point, and attempting to "fill in the blanks".

I agree that there isn't anything in WTWTA that indicates that Buffy isn't all in for the sexy times with Riley, but I was looking below the surface for the things she might not be wanting to face: such as that Spike kinds turns her on. My treatment of the Riley/Buffy sexcapades was written with the Faith/Buffy switcheroo in mind. That was very recent — only Superstar happened in between that and WTWTA. I wasn't convinced that Jonathan's reassurances would feel as reassuring after the spell wore off, and Buffy might still feel uneasy. That Buffy had not introduced Riley to her mother also implies she might still have doubts. (There are plenty of other explanations — that's the joy of fanfic!!) I think we can all agree that Buffy and Riley were not fated to be a long-term couple, and many of the reasons for that were present right at the start. They both tried hard not to look at/talk about those obstacles, but they were there, just waiting to bubble up.

Anyway, thanks again for choosing one of my stories to discuss!
                Weird love is better than no love — Buffy Summers

Comment

Thanks for the extra insight into your intentions Rebcake, it was really interesting to hear a bit about your thoughts.

I hope your move went well and that you feel settled into your new place now.

Comment

Just to echo what Stoney said Rebcake, it's always great to hear from the author themselves and get an insight into their thinking.

Comment

Working...
                    X