• Show
Clear All

• Wooded Path by Linnae13 starting on 1st June 2018

Hi all,

we will be discussing

Wooded Path by Linnae13 [NC-17]

from Friday 1st June 2018 on.

Summary: Once upon a time...
    ...or perhaps in this one, where the world has yet to grow with population and industry. Where a little cottage in the middle of a cold, frozen forest is the home of one Buffy Summers. Her surroundings are vacant, her life calm and filled with work and minimal play, but that's true for most people. She doesn't mind living this life, or doing so quite far from town. The place never felt very big when she resided there with her parents, and now she calls a different place home.
    When her grandmother passed on the cottage became Buffy's alone, though it should be said she tries to walk the same wooded path. Following her family's teachings to earn a living, even if she couldn't practice what talents they had cherished and honed, is precisely what brings her to the edge of a man's wintry deathbed. A pale, blue eyed stranger with white hair and no prayer for survival, unless she helps him.

With more than 112k words this is - again - a rather long fic. Therefore I put it up two weeks ahesad, to give everybody enough time, to read it through, before the discussion starts.

You can find it (as far as I know) only on Elysian Fields and you probably have to be registered to read it there because of the rating. If you are not registered on EF and still want to read this story, you can always send me a pm and we will find a solution

I am looking forward to this story!

flow

ETA: If you are Linnea13 or a writer of fanfiction and you have found your way to this thread, please be so kind as to read this
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/sh...re-you-proceed!
    before you proceed. Thank you for your consideration.
    Last edited by flow; 26-10-18, 09:34 AM.
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

I'm not sure this is enough time. It might not mean much from me because I'm behind anyway and I'm not the best example of timely reading(!!), but the Holly fic is coming up on the 25th, so there's only one week after that to read Wooded Path. My reading rate when it is going well is a fic of about 50k would be a week. Even if I catch up I'd never read this in the week between Holly's fic finishing and this starting the week after. But everyone else might not have a problem with it.
    Last edited by Stoney; 18-05-18, 11:11 PM.

Comment

I was assuming, that people mostly already have read Holly`s fic. I planned two weeks for discussing Linnea13`s story and we can of course still read while the discussion is going on. I would change the time gap between On The Other Side of Midnight and Wooded path, but I can`t edit thread titles. At least I don`t know, how to do it.

flow

Comment

I don't think we can amend thread titles. We lack the power.

I wouldn't worry about it though flow as it's just me anyway I think. Everyone else who wants to discuss them is keeping up. I think I just need to accept that now and then I'll have to skip a story/discussion because I'm just too far behind. I read all Holly's stories when I first started reading fanfic about 5/6 years ago. Some of them I've reread several times, but not this one, so I only vaguely remember it. I'll either storm through the remainder of Awakening and read Midnight before Friday too or I'll skip Midnight to reread another time and join for Wooded Path. I don't want to hold everyone else up if the timescales are working for everyone else because I'll prioritise the rewatch if the review completes this week and so it wouldn't be fair to hold you guys back. My snail pace reading just can't cope with all the different things I'm trying to do so it's just reality that I'll have to miss out sometimes. Otherwise I'll always be posting weeks after everyone else and then I won't feel like I'm joining in with the group anyway. I'll try my best.

Comment

Just a quick reminder, that we will be discussing this fic from next Friday on.

Hope we have a lot of people joining the discussion!

flow

Comment

I'm sorry I won't stand a chance of joining you all for this one. I haven't started it yet and it would take me a couple of weeks at least for something this length, but I'm going to be busy with other things for at least a couple of weeks first. I do want to read it though, so I'll try to remember to come back to the thread and see what you all thought when I finally get to it.

Comment

Thanks for the reminder flow, I'd forgotten about this fic. I shall start it today

Comment

I probably won't be in on this discussion. It takes a lot to entice me to read an AU that far from canon.
                Weird love is better than no love ā€” Buffy Summers

Comment

I think I'll skip this one too. This is what they call AU, right? I like my spuffy fanfics to be more like they could really happen if you change up circumstances. I never read "all human" for instance because I want Buffy the slayer and some kind of spike (evil, frenemy, hero or any other incarnation )as long as he's in love with Buffy.

ā€œI like who I am when Iā€™m with him. I like who we are together.ā€

Comment

I like seeing what character traits come through in AUs of all varieties and often really enjoy them. I'll definitely read this, I just don't have time to at the moment.

Comment

Hey all,

the discussion for Wooded Path is officially opened. I am currently on my mobile and will return to this thread later.

flow

Comment

I'm sorry to say that once again I cannot finish this fic. The first chapter was difficult for me to get through. I found the style of writing just wasn't to my taste and seemed a little over-written. I wasn't excited about the 'fairytale' setting, or Buffy as witch/apothecary, these are settings that just don't appeal to me. But Spike appears, so I thought I should continue, to see where Linnae13 was going to take the couple.

I liked Buffy rescuing Spike, and I envisioned a story about Buffy nursing him back to health, which is a trope I enjoy. But the story didn't go in that direction and suddenly Buffy is a hostage within her own home, held captive by this silent intruder. I didn't recognise either of these characters at all. They could have been brand new characters, for all they resembled the Spike and Buffy I know.

I gave up at chapter 4, because a silent Spike, with no explanation about why he's silent, just isn't my Spike and this character isn't one I really want to read about. I also don't like this Buffy being trapped, held hostage by this creature. In fic writing terms, it felt very old fashioned, and the way fic writers used to present Buffy, but I think the writing of Buffy has moved on a bit, and nowadays there are much fewer fics that have Buffy as the damsel or the victim.

So yeah, I gave up again. I hope there are readers who enjoyed this story far more than I did, and can tell me if the characterisation improved and we got to understand why Spike didn't speak?

Comment

I am back home now and would be ready to start the discussion, if I had read the story.

But I haven`t. I haven`t even started and dropped out of it at some point. I just glanced at the first paragraphs and knew, I could not get into it.

Buffy being some kind of a witch, living alone in a log cabin in a sorrounding, that sounds very fairy-tale-ish and Spike being a vampire with no voice and the two of them meeting under completely different circumstances is just not for me. To me, this isn`t an AU Spuffy fanfic. It is a completely original story with protagonists, who happen to be called Buffy and Spike. Their names could be John and Jane, without changing the fic much.

The story might be wonderful, intriguing and worth reading. I don`t know that, because I haven`t read it. I wasn`t attracted enough by the concept of the story to give it a try. My fault entirely, but that is how it is.

flow

Comment

Originally posted by flow View Post
                            I am back home now and would be ready to start the discussion, if I had read the story.

But I haven`t. I haven`t even started and dropped out of it at some point. I just glanced at the first paragraphs and knew, I could not get into it.

Buffy being some kind of a witch, living alone in a log cabin in a sorrounding, that sounds very fairy-tale-ish and Spike being a vampire with no voice and the two of them meeting under completely different circumstances is just not for me. To me, this isn`t an AU Spuffy fanfic. It is a completely original story with protagonists, who happen to be called Buffy and Spike. Their names could be John and Jane, without changing the fic much.

The story might be wonderful, intriguing and worth reading. I don`t know that, because I haven`t read it. I wasn`t attracted enough by the concept of the story to give it a try. My fault entirely, but that is how it is.

flow
                            Yup - this is what happened to me! I dropped out part way through Chapter 2.

BTW, I think everyone should be forced to read the Gwennie fic!
                            sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I suggested it for the discussion group, but was overruled. We picked Wooded Path instead....

flow

Comment

Working...
                              X