Suggestions for the FanFiction discussion threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flow View Post
    Does anybody want to suggest another story? We still have some suggestions pending, like Reflections by MsClawdia, sex, lies and sonograms by sabershadowcat, Dreamer by Gort, Long Day`s Journey by anaross, Etched in Stone, by Flowerofthewolf....

flow
    I just want to say - I really like the idea of reading Long Day's Journey by anaross. It sounds so interesting - I've started reading a little bit and it was really gripping. So I hope that gets included!
    Last edited by SpuffyGlitz; 19-05-18, 01:01 AM.

Comment

I really want to read that one too!

flow
      ................................ Banner by buffylover

Comment

I will happily jump in on Long Day's Journey. I am reading another Anaross spuffy -Ransomed, Healed, Restored, Forgiven. I like her fresh eyes - just finished a terrific discussion between Giles and Spike about the propaganda that the Council gives the slayers and the realities that are too troublesome to risk conveying to a 16 year who can't hesitate.
        Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

Comment

Originally posted by bespangled View Post
          I will happily jump in on Long Day's Journey. I am reading another Anaross spuffy -Ransomed, Healed, Restored, Forgiven. I like her fresh eyes - just finished a terrific discussion between Giles and Spike about the propaganda that the Council gives the slayers and the realities that are too troublesome to risk conveying to a 16 year who can't hesitate.
          Angel: ""What size jeans do you wear?" It was a stupid thing to be asking a man just resurrected, but Spike didn't protest. He just whispered, "Thirty-two inseam. Thirty-two waist." For that alone, Angel thought, I should drop him.

LMAO! Actually - that's a lie. The opening brought tears to my eyes and I'm usually an emotionless reader (WTF, I'm just emotionless - period). I'll read this - thanks!
          sigpic

Comment

I kind of stumbeld across this fic:

Ahead of Her Time, by haleycc 

Season 5, after Family, Words: 39,499

and I want to suggest it for a group reading. It is a season 5 time travel fic. But this time it is neither Spike nor Buffy, who travel in time, it is a Watcher from the future, who travels back to season 5.

Does anyone know it?

flow

Comment

I kind of stumbeld across this fic:

Ahead of Her Time, by haleycc 

Season 5, after Family, Words: 39,499

and I want to suggest it for a group reading. It is a season 5 time travel fic. But this time it is neither Spike nor Buffy, who travel in time, it is a Watcher from the future, who travels back to season 5.

Does anyone know it?

flow
              Apparently I've read it, but I don't remember it at all, so I'd be happy to read it again if you wanted to put it on the reading list.

Comment

I haven't read it but I'm game

“I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

Comment

Sounds a bit different. If I'm free I'll try it too.
                  Last edited by Stoney; 16-06-18, 04:10 AM.

Comment

Downloaded to iPad, ready to rumble. (I might have read this. That simples things up.)
                    Weird love is better than no love — Buffy Summers

Comment

I have a suggestion for the discussion thread frontierland by gort. Gort is one half of the dynamic team that brought us Stranger Things. I'm suggesting it because it has a little bit of everything, it is a real Buffy Spike story but with a spell that gives you kind of an all human story within the story. It's funny, well written and different but not so different that it's like the fairy tale one many of us couldn't get into. I'm about a third of the way through frontierland which is part one of
                      3 stories. It might have to be a long story if we opt to read all 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sunalso View Post
                        Gort's Dreamer

Something by Holly? (The Other Side of Midnight?) She's one of the first Spuffy fic authors I read. Along with Nautibitz and Damperandspoons.
                        I missed voting here, or dreamer would be in here, or something by sunalso, gort or offyourbird, three of the best authors in EF and IMO, of spuffy writing today.

Comment

Originally posted by GoSpuffy View Post
                          frontierland by gort.
                          I enjoyed this when I read it, but I'm not that interested in parsing a story that has so much all-human alternate reality in it. My opinion only.
                          Weird love is better than no love — Buffy Summers

Comment

Originally posted by Rebcake View Post
                            I enjoyed this when I read it, but I'm not that interested in parsing a story that has so much all-human alternate reality in it. My opinion only.
                            I never NEVER read AU human stories. I dislike them so much. Yet this story is a story within a story and for some reason did not put me off at all. It is really well written, entertaining and does flip back to vampire & slayer and just some how made total sense.

Comment

DeepBlueJoy
                              something by sunalso, gort or offyourbird, three of the best authors in EF and IMO, of spuffy writing today.
                              Add sigyn to that list and I will agree :-)

We have actually read by stories by all of them before. Dreamer just wasn`t picked, because many of us already knew it. As I don`t know Frontierland, I would rather read and discuss that. Or Rules Of the Road as soon as it is complete. Same goes for OYB`s The Darkling as soon as it is complete.

flow

Comment

Originally posted by Rebcake View Post
                                I agree. I have in the past, but no longer read ANY all human. If I want to read all human stories, I'll read a Harlequin. Especially because the AH tend to fall into two categories... One, original fiction with the canon names tacked on hastily. Two, horrible wish fulfillment fic that are basically self inserts with names tacked on. The first kind can be well written, but if you're ready to roll your own universe that has nothing to do with Buffy or Spuffy, just do it already. I read fanfic b/c I'm a fan of the characters in question. The second... well, I never want to read bad self inserts AH or not.

Now, Gort is a great writer, so I might read her story at some point, but I still don't think any AH should be part of a spuffy fanfic reading. (I have not read the story in question)

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by GoSpuffy View Post
                                I never NEVER read AU human stories. I dislike them so much. Yet this story is a story within a story and for some reason did not put me off at all. It is really well written, entertaining and does flip back to vampire & slayer and just some how made total sense.
                                I'm gonna have to read this story.

- - - Updated - - -

DeepBlueJoy

Add sigyn to that list and I will agree :-)

We have actually read by stories by all of them before. Dreamer just wasn`t picked, because many of us already knew it. As I don`t know Frontierland, I would rather read and discuss that. Or Rules Of the Road as soon as it is complete. Same goes for OYB`s The Darkling as soon as it is complete.

flow
                                Isn't she the one who writes fics that don't actually change ANYTHING in canon? I don't read such fics if I know ahead that's the plan. Some are excellent (and short stories that insert a missing scene can be well worth the small investment of time), but mostly, I want fanfic to:
                                a) continue the story that didn't get finished with Chosen/NFA
                                b) fix stuff that didn't work in canon - in a clever, not heavy handed way
                                c) tell a story that is about some aspect of a character and/or situation that is developed differently from canon and explore how that change ripples out differently.

I don't understand how you write a story that shows something very different from canon events, but changes nothing. Stories that repeat large portions of canon dialogue also annoy me, but I don't think her stories have that problem. If it is who I think you're referring to, it's been a while since I've read her work, but every one I remember reading has aggravated me b/c they're exquisitely written, depressing and disappointing.

I have real life for depressing, powerlessness that changes nothing.
                                Last edited by DeepBlueJoy; 18-06-18, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X