Fanfic Discussions - Spike/Buffy reading group

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by flow View Post
    I am going to start a thread for A Better man on thursday. There is no subforum yet (it is a work in progress :-) ), therefore I am going to be bold and open a thread on the main fanfiction forum.
    Will everyone who is reading it be finished by then? I will, I just wasn't sure if there was anyone else who was intending to join who will still be mid-fic (kimothyschma hasn't been on in a while so I don't know if she's joining us).

I would assume that when/if a subforum is created any reading group threads could be moved into it. Perhaps setting them up with a generic naming structure so they stand out would be helpful.

I don't know about any specific questions. Perhaps it should just be left to whoever opens the threads to put forward one or two based on their own thoughts on the story (like sunalso asked about the use of zompies within WWH). Something to comment on specifically in addition to overall thoughts etc that might prompt discussion.

As for the second April read: What about "Journeys: A Promise To A Lady" and/or "Journeys : Awakenings by Mary" ? The first part has about 50k words and the second part has about 170k words. We could read both or just one of them. I think, the second part would work without the prequel. I have read the prequel, but not yet the sequel. They both take place in season 6 and they are both on Elysian Fields.
    I remember thinking the prequel was a delight, but we're back into the earliest stories I read and I've discovered my opinions can vary greatly on a reread!

I wouldn't mind rereading both and then discussing but it would have to be at the end of the month for me to stand a chance of reading them both because of the lengths. It would perhaps make more sense to have a discussion after each so that we're not silent for so long. So I'm happy to reread this series if others want to as well.

But I would also be happy, with a suggestion from your to-read-list, Stoney !
    Okay, a random alternative, I was going to read Adieu, A Dew, I Do by Lizerrrbeathan the next time I delved into my 'to read' folder (which honestly has around 2000 fics in it so it doesn't ever go down very quickly ). Summary: AU/ Seven years post ‘Chosen’ Willem is sequestered hidden deep in Newcastle upon the Tyne, UK. As is bound to happen--given the magnet of hot souls and mutual minds--he is found.
    EDIT: I forgot to say, it's around 45k going by my word count and I know nothing about the 'type' of story it is aside from what's given above, so it'll be a total surprise which is sometimes nice as you don't have ideas/expectations of what you're going to get!

I have a copy but I'm not sure if it is online any more or on the Wayback machine, I can't seem to find an active link. I think she is a really well known writer (author of Snow Virgins/Spike by Snowlight, The Book of William), so someone else might have come across her fics somewhere?? It's just such a shame when these authors/stories get lost.
    EDIT: Found it! Link posted below.

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    I don't know about a 2nd story. If no one can recommend one, shall we just pick a newly completed one from EF?
    Or we could do this. I'm happy with any option.

Fun A Better Man drinking game: Take a shot every time you spot a character that in some way embodies an aspect of Spike as he has been in the past/would have been in a different life/is otherwise a mirror of him.
    "Is otherwise a mirror of him"!! Are you trying to get us all sloshed every time Rob comes into a scene.

- - - Updated - - -

AHA! Found the Lizerrrbeathan fic on Wayback on the Vampire Kiss site. I think it is all here Adieu, A Dew, I Do.

EDIT EDIT: If we are scheduling in 'read-by' dates we could plan for all these fics (if everyone is interested in reading them of course). I'd generally need at least a week for a 50k story to fit in around other things, so the longer ones would definitely need to have a bigger allowance for them.
    Last edited by Stoney; 03-04-18, 10:21 AM.

Comment

• Okay, a random alternative, I was going to read Adieu, A Dew, I Do by Lizerrrbeathan the next time I delved into my 'to read' folder (which honestly has around 2000 fics in it so it doesn't ever go down very quickly ). Summary: AU/ Seven years post ‘Chosen’ Willem is sequestered hidden deep in Newcastle upon the Tyne, UK. As is bound to happen--given the magnet of hot souls and mutual minds--he is found.
      I'm on chapter 5 and I'm reserving judgement. Not because I don't like it (I do) but because of the type of story it is. It's mythic - and quite knowing - it could end up as a pile of cr*p - alternatively, it could be very, very good.

Chapter 9 - still enjoying it. Hey Pricey - you've got to read this. They've just driven through Leeds!

Finished!
      Last edited by TriBel; 04-04-18, 11:52 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TriBel View Post
        I'm on chapter 5 and I'm reserving judgement. Not because I don't like it (I do) but because of the type of story it is. It's mythic - and quite knowing - it could end up as a pile of cr*p - alternatively, it could be very, very good.
        Oh, are we definitely reading Adieu then? You guys are a nightmare for trying to coordinate with, ha.

Flow was intending to start a thread for A Better Man at the end of this week I think. What is the 'finish by' date that we will all discuss this story from then? I'm not going to be able to start it until the end of the weekend possibly so I might be pushed to get it all read by the following Friday. Would people prefer to stick to Friday dates? If so I suggest...

A Better Man - discussion thread opens on 6th April.
        Adieu, A Dew, I Do - discussion thread opens on 20th April.

We could then possibly move on to the Journey series for the end of April, through May.

Chapter 9 - still enjoying it. Hey Pricey - you've got to read this. They've just driven through Leeds!
        I used to live in Newcastle which was why the story appealed to me, plus I've really rated other Lizerrrbeathan fics I've read. You're going to need to contain yourself for quite a while before the discussion thread is up. We could always go for 16th Apr if people aren't bothered about it being a Friday start. I just need to have at least a full clear week for it and I don't have the time to contribute to the conversation on A Better Man, keep up with the rewatch and read this by the 13th.

Any thoughts on the schedule from anyone else????

Comment

• Oh, are we definitely reading Adieu then? You guys are a nightmare for trying to coordinate with, ha.
          Hey - don't try to co-ordinate things round me! TBH, I've no sense of organisation - I just do things ad hoc.

For what it's worth - I enjoyed it to the end - I'll need to reread again. The only thing I'll say is - I liked everybody in it!
          sigpic

Comment

• Friday works for me, because I don`t work on Fridays ;-)

GoSpuffy, all this talk about Newcastle reminds, me, that I read a story a short time ago, where Buffy travelled to Canada. I think she was in Alberta. Or maybe Calgary. And unfortunately she was there with Angel, so that spoilt it a bit for me. But if your interested in it, give me a shout.

I have already a suggestion for June :-). Shall we split the two Journey stories in two separate discussions ?

Has anyone heard of Spuffyfreak ?

flow
            ................................ Banner by buffylover

Comment

I have already a suggestion for June :-). Shall we split the two Journey stories in two separate discussions ?
              So are we doing Journeys in May? A Promise to A Lady and then Awakenings. I'm assuming you aren't including the third as it was only ever offered as a draft version and wasn't properly completed?

But yeah, I'm happy to go with Journeys after Adieu assuming nothing crops up. I think I'd like to split them though, give them their own read-by discussion dates, even if they stay as a series and are kept in the same thread. The first is only 50k ish, but the second is over 150k and will take so much longer it would be nice to chat over the first to break it up a bit rather than have no discussion during May at all until right to the end. If we did split them we could do the first at the start of the month and the second at the end.

I'm intrigued what your June suggestions are but fear if you say it out loud everyone will read them really quickly and when we hit the June dates to discuss them won't be able to remember them.

Has anyone heard of Spuffyfreak ?
              Their profile page says they were on yesterday evening, so they're lurking at the least.

Comment

• I have opened the new thread for Discussing fanfiction.

I hope, I got it right. Did we agree, to start reading on Fridays with everybody being free to either start reading the story then or to already have read it or to re-read it, if they like and then start the discussion the next Friday ? I wasn`t sure about the schedule and will edit the thread I have already opened, if I have misunderstood this.

The next Discussing Fanfiction thread will be Adieu, A Dew, I Do on 20th of April. I agree, that we should split of the threads for Awakenings, because the second part is rather long.

I'm assuming you aren't including the third as it was only ever offered as a draft version and wasn't properly completed?
                I couldn`t find the third part on EF. Do you have a link ? I would at least suggest it to those, who have read the first two parts, but I don`t think, I would like to read it myself, if it is a permanent WIP.

I'm intrigued what your June suggestions are but fear if you say it out loud everyone will read them really quickly and when we hit the June dates to discuss them won't be able to remember them.
                That is exactly why I am not telling

flow

Comment

• Adieu, A Dew, I Do
                  Can I just say, I'm re-reading this and, from my own perspective, I think it's one of the most interesting fics I've ever read. I've tried to find others by the same author but failed. @ Stoney - don't suppose you have any (LOL! There's a please in that sentence but it's well hidden )?
                  sigpic

Comment

I have opened the new thread for Discussing fanfiction.

I hope, I got it right. Did we agree, to start reading on Fridays with everybody being free to either start reading the story then or to already have read it or to re-read it, if they like and then start the discussion the next Friday ? I wasn`t sure about the schedule and will edit the thread I have already opened, if I have misunderstood this.
                    I think we had said that we would try discussing only when we have all finished reading the story. So the thread would be created at an agreed date that everyone should have completed the story by, so that we were all discussing the full story. I don't think that it hurts to open the thread when the story to be read is agreed, if posting thoughts and discussing it waits until the 'read by' date. I have made notes on ABM so I'm happy to just wait until 13th to start posting/discussing.

The only other thing I would question in the description of the discussion you have put on the ABM thread is that the discussions will be fortnightly. Some stories might be long enough we want 3 weeks or short enough we only split them by 1 week. It also depends whether we would count a discussion week as also being a reading week. I'd assume a read rate of 50k per week would be a reasonable rule of thumb but then I'm the slowpoke.

The next Discussing Fanfiction thread will be Adieu, A Dew, I Do on 20th of April. I agree, that we should split of the threads for Awakenings, because the second part is rather long.
                    Yes, I agree we have Adieu down to start discussing on the 20th. We/you/I can open the thread now with a note that discussion will start then or wait until closer to the time. Thinking about it, I suppose it makes sense to open the threads when the story and date is agreed on so that people can easily see which stories are coming up and decide which to join in with. Perhaps even putting the month or read-by date in the thread title too?? What do you think?

I couldn`t find the third part on EF. Do you have a link ? I would at least suggest it to those, who have read the first two parts, but I don`t think, I would like to read it myself, if it is a permanent WIP.
                    It wasn't EF I originally read them on I'll just check... It was on Nocturnal Light. Oh okay, that was the site that went down recently, I think I'd posted a WayBack link for it. Wait a moment again... here is the link to Mary's fics on wayback. The links for Revelations (the 3rd story) appear to work fine and this is the entire post for it.

That is exactly why I am not telling
                    Ha, good plan.

Perhaps when we are close to discussing Adieu we can choose the read-by dates for Promise and Awakenings and open those threads then??

Originally posted by TriBel View Post
                    Can I just say, I'm re-reading this and, from my own perspective, I think it's one of the most interesting fics I've ever read. I've tried to find others by the same author but failed. @ Stoney - don't suppose you have any (LOL! There's a please in that sentence but it's well hidden )?
                    Yes! I think her site went down but I managed to find that link to Adieu and can probably dredge up some others on that same site through Wayback. I've read a few of her fics and have always really enjoyed them. I have 2 or 3 that I've copies for that I've never read and a few others I've copied that I have. I'm not sure they will all be on that site or 'findable' online still. Lets see what else she posted there.

Here is a link to Vampire's Kiss on Wayback. If you click on 'Archive' on the left hand menu then select 'L' it'll take you to a page that has Lizerrrbeathan's stories on it. Not all the stories might have been captured by the Wayback Machine, or all the pages for each story, so its always worth checking you can get it all before you start reading. Lizerrrbeathan seems to have the following on there as well as Adieu... Summing Blue, Snow Virgins and Spike by Snowlight. All of which I've read and enjoyed. I also have copies of a few more stories. I'll see if I can find links for them online anywhere still, but it might take me a while and/or not be successful. I know her website, where I got them, isn't on Wayback.
                    Last edited by Stoney; 05-04-18, 01:05 PM.

Comment

• Yes! I think her site went down but I managed to find that link to Adieu and can probably dredge up some others on that same site through Wayback. I've read a few of her fics and have always really enjoyed them. I have 2 or 3 that I've copies for that I've never read and a few others I've copied that I have. I'm not sure they will all be on that site or 'findable' online still. Lets see what else she posted there.

Here is a link to Vampire's Kiss on Wayback. If you click on 'Archive' on the left hand menu then select 'L' it'll take you to a page that has Lizerrrbeathan's stories on it. Not all the stories might have been captured by the Wayback Machine, or all the pages for each story, so its always worth checking you can get it all before you start reading. Lizerrrbeathan seems to have the following on there as well as Adieu... Summing Blue, Snow Virgins and Spike by Snowlight. All of which I've read and enjoyed. I also have copies of a few more stories. I'll see if I can find links for them online anywhere still, but it might take me a while and/or not be successful. I know her website, where I got them, isn't on Wayback.
                      Sigh...I love you - in a purely platonic sense! Thanks so much!
                      sigpic

Comment

Sigh...I love you - in a purely platonic sense! Thanks so much!
                        I've found Life After Wartime (one I have but haven't read yet) on Slayerworld through Wayback too! I'm not faring well on the others so far though. She mentions Fanfiction.net and B.S. Diaries at the start of Wartime, so I'll see if I get anywhere on those. Not sure where else to check.

Enjoy.

--
                        EDIT: I found the author link on BS Diaries but all the fics on there that I haven't already linked above lead to 'page unknown' sadly and the author link on fanfiction on Wayback doesn't work. I'm at a loss at the moment where else to find the others.
                        Last edited by Stoney; 05-04-18, 01:29 PM.

Comment

• Dear all,
                          A new sub-forum for discussing fanfic has been set up here, as requested. Please go ahead and move your discussions in there, where they should be a little easier to find and organise. Please let us know if you need any more help.

Comment

Now you've said this TriBel I want to rush and read it. I might actually do that, I'm a bit of a rebel lol. I read A Better Man ages ago, and liked it, but I shall have to re-read to enter into any discussion

Comment

• Stoney:
                              I think we had said that we would try discussing only when we have all finished reading the story. So the thread would be created at an agreed date that everyone should have completed the story by, so that we were all discussing the full story. I don't think that it hurts to open the thread when the story to be read is agreed, if posting thoughts and discussing it waits until the 'read by' date. I have made notes on ABM so I'm happy to just wait until 13th to start posting/discussing.
                              As I have already opened the thread, shall we just start the discussion tomorrow ? Or wait til 13th ? I think, that everybody has read it anyway, except for me. If we start discussing Adieu on the 20th of April, I`d suggest, that I open a new thread on the 13th of April at the latest, maybe even earlier, to give everybody the chance to finish reading it before the 20th.

The only other thing I would question in the description of the discussion you have put on the ABM thread is that the discussions will be fortnightly.
                              I will change that. If we ever read a story like West Of The Moon again, we definitely Need more than two weeks ;-)

flow
                              Last edited by flow; 05-04-18, 03:22 PM.

Comment

As I have already opened the thread, shall we just start the discussion tomorrow ? I think, that everybody has read it anyway, except for me. If we start discussing Adieu on the 20th of April, I`d suggest, that I open a new thread on the 13th of April at the latest, maybe even earlier, to give everybody the chance to finish reading it before the 20th.
                                I don't know. I think if the threads are opened once we have a fic and discussion date decided then anyone who browses the subsection can see what we are reading and when it has to be read by to join in the discussion. Posting wouldn't happen until that date is reached, so it just gives people plenty of time to see and to fit in reading it. In that way, the more notice the better probably. So I'd consider opening the thread for Adieu now, as the other 'April' fic, with a discussion start date of 20th April. So perhaps title it Discussion Apr 18 : Adieu, A Dew, I Do by Lizerrrbeathan. The opening post can say at the top that the Read-by date for the discussion start is : 20th April, and give any summaries/links etc. Or even give the date in the thread title : Discussion 20 Apr 18 : Adieu... etc.

What do you think?

If you haven't read ABM yet why not just stick with 13th for a discussion start? Pricey was saying she thought she'd need to reread it before discussing it as she read it a while back now. I typed up my notes about it and have the notes I made throughout to refer to if I need to remind myself what I was thinking, so I really don't mind waiting.

If we ever read a story like West Of The Moon again, we definitely Need more than two weeks ;-)
                                Yes, I think I'll need more than two weeks for anything over 100k.

Comment

Working...
                                X