This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Results of past submissions

First and foremost, the Panel would like to apologise profusely for the delay in getting these results out, and would like to thank both tangent and Dorian's Kitten for their patience and forebearance during this transition period.

These results are for works of fanfiction submitted to the Written over on Buffyworld Forums before the Great Account Annihilation. Both can be found duplicated in this thread, but if the authors would like to re-post them here in BuffyForums' Written zone, they will be archived appropriately as soon as our subsections are set up.

Subsections for the Written will be established shortly, as we would like to re-launch this competetive fic-writing zone here at our new home.

Before giving the final verdict, the Panel would like to make one further point, and this is regarding the new incarnation of the Buffyverse in comic format - since we've now received a 'comicverse' submission, now seems as good a time as any to revisit our rules of submission. The Written accepts submissions from any 'verse within the Jossverse - BtVS, AtS or Firefly. However, the existence of the new Season 8 comics opens the BtVS canon back up, wide open, and this presents us with issues of spoilers for Panel members who might not have read them. The Written Panel has decided that since the comics are an official part of BtVs canon, albeit in a different format, Season 8 submissions will be accepted - however, we do ask that anyone considering entering a Season 8 fic be kind and think of the Panel. We must also ask that any submission be standalone and self-explanatory, not hinting obliquely at events reviewers might be unaware of.

On to the reviews and results.

Big Bad - tangent

PEN = 4.4
    PLOT = 2.75
    CLIPBOARD
    ZOOM
    Feel: WARM

Doing a scene about an already done scene is quite a tricky thing to do; you have to re-write it so that the reader will want to stay tuned into it, why should they read it when they can just watch it? You have to captivate them and get the idea out of there head that this was already written, make them feel like it is not just the same scene but a whole nother level.

Spike is an enigma within himself and The Panel recognized your skill of characterization with him. The internal monologue was a tricky way to go, especially with a character like Spike but you seem to have down pretty well and it feels like you really got into Spike's skin, the accent, the movement, pretty much Spike himself.

Though that being said it does waver a bit, a well written piece will have the dialect only in the dialogue, it is better to not shift it around so like though this was mainly noticeable in the beginning.

Spike was paired up with the right characters and it really felt like he would be drawn to them and it was a nice addition to the piece. It was a very great ZOOM piece and did bring the emotion we were looking for to the table.

Though The Panel would like to say to you please ease up on the semi-colons in future entries, they are a useful tool but can easily be taken astray. Also, there were still some grammatical mistakes that could have been fixed up but nothing that takes away from the overall piece.

Questions and Answers - Dorian's Kitten

PEN = 4.4
    PLOT = 3.25
    CLIPBOARD
    BUFFY
    PRO
    Feel: WARM

This was a unique piece on a Spuffy reunion and that in it self entails both good and bad. Though making it a play off of the comics did make it hard for some of our panelists to judge it properly, there were no marks off for doing it that way. The piece flowed elegantly and had simple clarity that makes a reader feel better while reading, and makes them want to continue rather than see jumbled words and run.

A true BUFFY and PRO piece, the characters seemed themselves most of the time, though Xander's reaction about Willow with the coven seemed a little too conservative for him, and Buffy and Dawn's interaction seemed off seeing as they weren't really close in the comics though they seem to be fine here and it really doesn't go with the timeline given.

The plot was a pretty transparent 'What it Spuffy reunited' that felt like a self indulgent piece more than anything, there was the question as to why Spike would come back after all this time, what would Joss have made happen for Spike to have reason to come back to see Buffy after what unfolded on Angel Season 5? It felt as if Spike was just pulling an Angel in this with him going all the way to Scotland just to walk away. It felt as if there was some missing tension, maybe that spark that was there is now gone.

Though there were some pretty big PLOT errors, the writing itself helped make up for that. The Spuffy reunion itself was not a fluffy one, so that won some big PRO points there, not to mention already challenging Joss' canon was a pretty decisive move and done very skillfully.

The Panel has come to agreement since both fics are FotM material and were entered on separate months that as thanks for the over abundance of patience you two have had with use you will both receive FotM awards for your respected month.

I would just like to thank the panelists for their comments and feedback. I shall endeavor to use your thoughts to better my future pieces.

It was my first Buffy piece (actually my first piece of fiction writing in general) and while I was really quite happy with it at the time, I can absolutely see some issues now. One of the biggest of which stemmed from my desire to try and squeeze the story in to the current season. I didn't want to do anything that would be immediately contradictory which led to, as you so fabulously put it, Spike pulling an Angel. On the same note, a big oops and apologies to the judges for any confusion or spoilers about the comicverse.

Anyway-I really just wanted to thank the panelists for not just giving up on "the written" in the midst of our chaos and moving. Writers absolutely need feedback, and yours is great.
    "All I ask is that... that you try to see me."

Comment

Originally posted by Dorian's Kitten View Post
      On the same note, a big oops and apologies to the judges for any confusion or spoilers about the comicverse.
      No need for oops or apologies - your entry raised an issue we were going to have to face up to sooner or later, which is that the existence of season 8 has opened the canon back up. I'd say that the longer the comicverse continues, the more likely it is that fics will be inspired by it, and as a Panel we need to be prepared for that.

Congrats again to both of you

Comment

Question, is this still going on?

Comment

Yup, but there have been no submissions lately.
          DeadWar: Burden of Proof
          Out Now.
          Feedback is always welcome here.

Comment

And people are on holiday
            * supporting the WGA strikers *

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalLeonardo View Post
              Question, is this still going on?
              What Mabus and ferdy-m said. The Written has been on a bit of a hiatus while we all got used to the new board and settled in, but is definitely still active. Just needs a few entries. So if you've got any fics lying around gathering dust, go ahead and post 'em in the Trial Cave!

Comment

Written Results for September

These results are for works of fanfiction submitted to the Written during September 2007. The Written grading scheme can be found here.

Thanks and congratulations to everyone who entered, and to the hard-working Panelists for giving up their time to read and review

FOTM:
                But you don’t really care for music, do you? by Rosamunde

PEN: 5
                PLOT: 2
                PRO
                WARM

This fic is written with gentle, lovely prose. It is simple and direct without being dull, which is no mean feat. Technically and grammatically the writing is spotless and smooth, allowing no distractions from the story.

We love the way Kit is inserted into the story as though she’s always been there in Dawn’s life when the camera’s not there to capture her. The parallels between Dawn and Kit are beautifully drawn, as Dawn struggles to find happiness with her sister, and Kit struggles to find her new life.

This fic doesn't have many problems. However, some of the lines of dialogue, particularly Buffy’s “blowjob” line, seem awkward and perhaps out of character. Meanwhile, the fic’s lack of a conclusion may bother some readers. But it is clearly done intentionally and not out of carelessness or laziness on the author’s part. The reader may desire a happy ending, but that is not the purpose of this story.

All in all, it is a very enjoyable and touching read. The story is bittersweet from start to finish, but still containing an element of hope for the future simply because there will be a future. This central idea and feeling is so very tragically jossverse that, despite the very tough competition, But you don’t really care for music, do you? is Fanfiction of the Month.

Brief Candles by tangent
                PEN: 4.6
                PLOT: 2
                ZOOM
                BUFFY
                WARM

This fic has a very clever and original premise, focusing on three moments in Spike’s life/unlife in relation to Macbeth. We love this structure of three loosely connected zooms. The writing style is also very clear and confident. Unfortunately, there are still a significant number of grammar/punctuation errors that could be fixed with the help of a beta reader.

Spike’s thoughts and actions are all perfectly believable. Tangent clearly has a firm grasp of the character. However, to make this piece really powerful it needs to dig deeper. The main weakness of the story is that it is not as introspective as it could be. A really good zoom piece shows the reader something new about the character, but this doesn’t tell us anything we didn’t already know about Spike.

This story demonstrates the formidable power of tangent’s creative mind—it just needs a little more editing and a little more depth. Still, a strong entry.

Inside Out by Mabus
                PEN: 4.6
                ZOOM
                PRO
                WARM/ROOM TEMP

This judges had trouble coming to a consensus on this one, and its wild card ratings were all over the spectrum. This fic is written in a very unusual style, especially for fanfiction. Mabus ignores the rules of grammar and punctuation (in a good way) to go for a more poetic structure. The language is beautiful, and the author manages to combine abstract ideas with concrete images. This unique style allows the reader to experience the characters’ confusion in a very real way.

The fic is centered around the idea of Illyria absorbing Fred’s soul when she dies. Mabus skillfully bends canon to this idea in a very believable manner. Maybe the reader never thought to interpret Fred’s demise that way, but suddenly it makes so much sense.

This fic does have drawbacks. Sometimes the dreamy quality works against it and just leaves the reader confused. The judges found the Angel/Angelus bit unnecessary and out of place. The lines of poetry that are inserted into the story can also be distracting and disorienting; Mabus could consider limiting the quotes to the beginning and the end of the story.

But all in all, this is a powerful piece. Some readers find the Restless-esque style bewildering, tiring, or just plain unpleasant, but others may love the surreal aspect. This story is not for everyone, but it is definitely a worthy Written contender.

In conclusion, the judges had a difficult time choosing just one winner for September, as all three entries were very well written, but the final result is But you don’t really care for music, do you?

The Written is now open for submissions. The next entry deadline is October 20th.

Comment

I'd like to say...well, it was fun. I'm a little embarrassed that so many of the judges seem not to have understood what I was getting at with that middle section...I swear it was important!

FWIW, I intended the fic to be a fun but dizzying ride...like, um, a Tilt-a-Whirl at a theme park. But it looks like I gave most people too much to digest first. Bad idea.

Also fwiw....I'd like the judges to know there's no need to worry that I will be upset about your reviews. I take criticism better than that, and I'm glad you were all so honest.
                  DeadWar: Burden of Proof
                  Out Now.
                  Feedback is always welcome here.

Comment

Written results for October

These results are for works of fanfiction submitted to the Written during October 2007. The Written grading scheme can be found here.

Thanks and congratulations to our sole entrant for the month, and to the hard-working Panelists for giving up their time to read and review

Protective Orders by KingofCretins

Pen: 3
                    Plot: 3
                    Room Temperature

First of all, a Season 8 based missing scene fanfic is a risky bet for any writer to submit to the Written. Although Season 8 is widely accepted as canon, it hasn’t reached the popularity of its audiovisual counterparts, and fanfic readers in general, as indeed Written Panelists, are not necessarily familiar with every aspect of the comic Season 8 enough to appreciate every aspect of a fanfic based mostly on it. Submitting a Season 8 fanfic to the Written despite this is therefore as much of a bold, admirable move as it is a poorly thought-out one.

The Panel felt that there were a number of issues with this fanfic. One such issue, consistent in all of the judges’ reviews, is characterisation. Generally, the judges were not especially impressed with the characters of this piece, who at best are recognisable, at worst, out of character altogether. Buffy, mainly, suffers from what was described as “character death” in that she is perceived as having a different personality from what fans are familiar with. Whether this is because of her character evolving in canon Season 8, or because she wasn’t portrayed very faithfully in this story is unclear.

Another reason why Buffy didn’t strike the judges as very BUFFY, is a consequence of the plot. Having Buffy promoted to the rank of Queen of a Slayer army resulted in unlikely behaviour and an unusual balance for these characters, more appropriate in other generic power-woman fiction. Another problem with the plot is that while this is labelled as a Season 8 fanfic, it omits significant features of Season 8 such as Giant Dawn, Amy’s attack, and the funny symbol, indicating that this might in fact be taking place before the comics, which confused the judges.

Andrew too was criticised for the way he is written in this. His behaviour, but mainly his dialogues, are not especially reminiscent of Andrew as last seen on BtVS. The Panel felt that some of the lines were poor, for example his over-geeked language or the use by Buffy of his own canon word “guestage” didn’t appear very logical to the judges.

On the whole, the Panel found the style of this fanfic unpleasant as rather stilted. The grammar is odd at times, over-grammatically correct and unnatural for Buffy and Co. There are also a few strange typos, with some words or line-breaks missing to the point of affecting the clarity of the text.

There are some very positive points about this fanfic. Xander’s characterisation is good, so is the main idea of a story about Team Angel and Team Buffy keeping secrets from each other, and making it a missing scene fanfic. Some of tone was also very much enjoyed by the judges, such as the hinted bitterness of Buffy at the thought of Spike. The original contrast of the Sunnydale alumni being treated like royalty by star-struck young Slayers while finding it hard to take their own importance seriously was also interesting. Finally, the Panel particularly enjoyed reading about the first instance of mistrust of Buffy for Angel.

However, it was felt that the pleasant elements of this story failed to make up for its overall stiltedness and unjossiness, and the judges involved unanimously decided that Protective Orders was not quite the standard expected of Fanfic of the Month, but will instead go on permanent display in the Written Archives.

Comment

Another reason why Buffy didn’t strike the judges as very BUFFY, is a consequence of the plot. Having Buffy promoted to the rank of Queen of a Slayer army resulted in unlikely behaviour and an unusual balance for these characters, more appropriate in other generic power-woman fiction. Another problem with the plot is that while this is labelled as a Season 8 fanfic, it omits significant features of Season 8 such as Giant Dawn, Amy’s attack, and the funny symbol, indicating that this might in fact be taking place before the comics, which confused the judges.
                      I just thought I'd add in here, am I even supposed to, sorry if this isn't the place, but Buffy was promoted to this role in s8 so it is in character of her story now. Or is that not what you meant? Again sorry if I am not even supposed to be writing in here, especially since this isn't even my entry
                      - "The earth is doomed" -

Comment

Thank you for taking the time to consider and review my story.

I regret, upon reconsideration, applying the Season 8 label to the fic. It was intended to be clear that these events are contemporaneous to the Angel Season 5 episode "Damages", describing theorized events on the Scooby side of Andrew's mission to LA and harmonize the events of that episode with the Buffy canon established in Season 8. Because the story refers to Season 8 canon facts, like the Slayers having set up shop in the "Big Honkin' Castle" in Scotland, I thought the label appropriate less for the judges than for readers generally, since it would technically contain 'spoilers' for Season 8. Apparently, all I did was muddy the waters around the setting and timeframe of the story.

I'll take the character feedback for serious thought -- this represented my first attempt at writing Andrew, and I knew even as I typed it that I was hiding in his geekdom as a way of avoiding dealing with intricate characterization.

No excuses for readability or grammar -- that's my own impatience for not using a beta. Not a mistake I'll make in future Written submissions, if nothing else.

If any of the judges have more specific or individual positive or negative feedback, I'd appreciate more thoughts either by PM or in my feedback thread.

Once again, thank you for the response and for placing it in the Written Archives.
                        sigpic
                        Banner by LRae12

Comment

Working...
                        X