Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

No HTML

HTML is turned off for security reasons.

Please do not use html in your posts or messages. If you are copy and pasting something from another website and you are having problems with it showing, then it may have html in it. This could be in the form of a website link or a viewable image or an emoji or a special chacter. I am not sure this is the reason we have errors posting.

Some html code can be simply swapped with our Bulletin Board code by changing the greater than/ less than signs with bracket signs. Other BB code needs to done using the buttons in the advanced post editor.
2 of 2 < >

Home Page

The home page address has changed to: http://buffyforums.net/forums/
Please update your bookmark. Otherwise, the home page does not show you are logged in and/or will not let you type into the log in box in the top right. The link at Buffyforums.net to the forums has not yet been updated. So you will experience the error when you enter the forum through that link.
See more
See less

Rare Pairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rare Pairs

I've been reading a lot about rarepairings in fanfic and wondering what are the rarest pairs in the Buffyverse.

The rarest I can think of is . . . Tara/Angel. Are there any Tara/Angel fics? The more I think of them, the more I think they may actually be complimentary . . .

Anyone else think of any other rare pairs, ones they've read or ones they'd like to read, or ones they'd never read in a million years?

Joyce and the mayor are rare.

I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

Comment

Originally posted by GoSpuffy View Post
      Joyce and the mayor are rare.
      Oh I can visualise the story . . . they meet during Gingerbread. Faith tells the Mayor how kind Joyce is, and he's taken by her forthright attitude. Buffy is against it, but they move into the Mayors mansion and he gives up on wanting to become a giant snake because of his love for Joyce. I'd love this!

Comment

I've read a fic where a Mayor/Joyce relationship was referenced but not one where it was current. In terms of what pairings I wouldn't read there are masses of them as I'm not interested in reading most non canon romantic pairings and don't actively seek reading most canon ones either. I've read a couple of fics that included Riley/Angel, I'm not sure how common that is but I would imagine quite a few of the Riley pairings are rare. Is there Riley/Giles for example? I could see a tangent of Riley/Faith managing to be a thing, but I've never looked for them so I don't know how rare it is.

Comment

I've read, and enjoyed, a few Riley/Angel fics, I think they are quite a complimentary couple. I'd read Riley/Giles, but I think it would only work with early season Giles. But that's the fun or rare pairings, the writer has to work hard to convince the reader the relationship would really work, without changing the characters personalities too much.

How about Lorne/Giles . . . how would those two get on together? Or Lorne/The Mayor?

Comment

I think I want to be sick...what's got into you people? My imagination's obviously impaired.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TriBel View Post
              I think I want to be sick...what's got into you people? My imagination's obviously impaired.
              I like thinking how different people would work/live together and have a romantic relationship. Say, Connor/Willow, how would they meet, what would first attract them to each other, what sort of romance would they have . . . it's fun. Are there any actual Connor/Willow fics?

Comment

Say, Connor/Willow, how would they meet, what would first attract them to each other, what sort of romance would they have . . . it's fun.

Some people think pulling the wings off flies is fun...just sayin'. I can just about get my head around ships intimated by the original work. I fail miserably with ships that are not only "outside the box" but also destroyed the box in the process of leaving it!

I googled. The world has gone insane.

Out of interest, what does your imagination make of Connor/Willow (my imagination's put in a request for "leave of absence").
                sigpic

Comment

Off the top of my head . . . Connor looking for a mother figure. Willow, still mourning Tara, looking to make amends . . .

I'm rubbish at this, but I like hearing other people's ideas

Comment

Okay...here's an idea for a fan-fic game. Start off a "rare ship" story with either a sentence or a paragraph and then leave it open for someone else to continue (as in "Consequences"). I can't play - I'm alphabetizing my CDs and peeling the fondant off Liqourice All-sorts.

I'm actually trying "Connor looking for a mother figure. Willow, still mourning Tara, looking to make amends" out in my head. Has Willow ever been a mother? In any fic? She has hasn't she? There's a AU series involving surrogacy.
                    sigpic

Comment

I can just about get my head around ships intimated by the original work. I fail miserably with ships that are not only "outside the box" but also destroyed the box in the process of leaving it!
                      This is where I am tbh. I was genuinely taken aback by how much people shipped non-canon pairings when I joined fandom, but I've seen on various fanfic sites over the years the sheer variety of ships that have been written about. Basically just any combination that can cross your mind. I'm not particularly interested in wondering how people can generate scenarios to try and make things off canon seem plausible (mostly I think it would just push characterisation beyond believability for me), but I do find the fact that people do it kind of fascinating in and of itself, even if I've no interest in reading the stories.
                      Last edited by Stoney; 09-06-19, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Are we talking about pairings in actually existing fanfics?

Spike/Willow seem to have been a Thing once. I can't wrap my head around it but there are Spillow fanfics.

Also pairing I have once read about (in the Bittersweet series by Herself) is Angel with Buffy and Spike's daughter.

There is also the Tara/Willow/Giles threesome that GoSpuffy mentioned recently on the What's On Your Mind thread.

flow
                        ................................ Banner by buffylover

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                          Oh I can visualise the story . . . they meet during Gingerbread. Faith tells the Mayor how kind Joyce is, and he's taken by her forthright attitude. Buffy is against it, but they move into the Mayors mansion and he gives up on wanting to become a giant snake because of his love for Joyce. I'd love this!
                          This is why you can write fanfic. Not everyone has the imagination needed.

I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

Comment

Spillow I can get my head around. Buffy and Spike's daughter feels incestuous (at the very least). Willow/Giles I can just about contend with but not Tara. I've seen Willow and D'Hoffryn mentioned somewhere. If, as Stoney suggests, characterization is stretched to breaking point, why don't folk just write original fiction?

GoSpuffy

This is why you can write fanfic. Not everyone has the imagination needed.
                            @Priceless - GoSpuffy's right. Some people can see the big picture, others can't (I can't). I can imagine a conversation between Willow and D'Hoffryn but I can't conjure a scenario. And any thought of sex between them scares me.
                            sigpic

Comment

If characterization is stretched to breaking point, why don't folk just write original fiction?
                              Surely it must come down ultimately to wish fulfilment that the character(s) would do something that they weren't shown to choose, that something that wasn't done in canon but was wanted by the writer could really have happened 'if only...'. The want for it to be plausible can be part of the wish fulfilment, and so is mixed into a belief in the plausibility of it then I suppose. At the end of the day I was happy with canon, including accepting the parts I wouldn't have opted for, and didn't have a drive to imagine it/the characters changed. But I still enjoy reading what others think of the characters I'm interested in reading about. It just isn't preferable to canon for me or always believable.

Of course thinking characterisation is stretched beyond believability can be argued to be a subjective judgment. If the actions/scenario runs contradictory to something clearly established by canon (again 'clearly established' could be argued over!) or it requires a major character changing event to be experienced to change their perspective/focus etc to lead into it, then I think that is pushing them out of canon characterisation. That a scenario can be perceived and written to cover the wish doesn't make it believable that they kept them in character during doing so to me. But I think this is what a lot of fanfic is about, really pushing for something other than where canon went and often wanting to change the characters. And perspectives differ of where those lines are when a different direction heads into 'hard to imagine/believe' territory, so those that want it can shrug at the disbelief of others as just subjective, no matter how widely or wildly outside of canon they may have taken things.
                              Last edited by Stoney; 09-06-19, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X