Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

No HTML

HTML is turned off for security reasons.

Please do not use html in your posts or messages. If you are copy and pasting something from another website and you are having problems with it showing, then it may have html in it. This could be in the form of a website link or a viewable image or an emoji or a special chacter. I am not sure this is the reason we have errors posting.

Some html code can be simply swapped with our Bulletin Board code by changing the greater than/ less than signs with bracket signs. Other BB code needs to done using the buttons in the advanced post editor.
2 of 2 < >

Home Page

The home page address has changed to: http://buffyforums.net/forums/
Please update your bookmark. Otherwise, the home page does not show you are logged in and/or will not let you type into the log in box in the top right. The link at Buffyforums.net to the forums has not yet been updated. So you will experience the error when you enter the forum through that link.
See more
See less

I mock you with my monkey pants! Fanfic discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I mock you with my monkey pants! Fanfic discussion thread

Restarting from main site. I'll re-ask the same question I asked on BuffyWorld: does anyone that's written in both have thoughts on the merits of a screenplay vs. narrative prose style for a virtual season?
    sigpic
    Banner by LRae12

Interesting question. I remember asking something similar a long, long time ago.

I've written both. I prefer narrative, but did write a story set in the Wishverse as a script, mostly as an experiment with the format, and found that there are pros and cons to both.

With script I found it a blessing to be able to intercut scenes rapidly in a way that could never happen in the narrative style! It's a fairly minimalist format - you have to work hard at showing what's going on, laying it all out for your viewers in as visual a manner as possible while writing (if that makes sense), just stage directions and dialogue. It keeps you honest, because you have to make sure that those directions and dialogue carry all the exposition your readers are going to need. Whereas narrative is a much richer format because it allows you to really get into the nitty gritty of analysing the emotions and motivations of the characters, following their thought processes and describing events and thoughts in as much depth as you want. Plus, you can cheat a bit with the exposition, slipping it into the odd establishing paragraph here and there, instead of having to make your characters spell it all out

Comment

I've never attempted to write a screenplay before, other than the quite bastardized version I use to do the Season 8 transcripts, so it's a bit intimidating.
      sigpic
      Banner by LRae12

Comment

I would say 'go look at the 'official buffyworld season 8 in archives' because that's a great example of how to write script really well But alas you can't, because the stupid forum is down again.

Comment

So, transferring talk from the VIP...tangent mentioned something about a Norse-connected Buffy/Who fic...?

At the moment I'm mulling over various Who crossover options. I think what's attracting me to xovers so much at the moment with Who is that, because the season hasn't finished yet, I'm loath to dive in in case my story gets "disproved" (if you know what I mean) by what's to come...but with a Crossover, I feel like I'm going outside the canon anyway so, doesn't matter so much.

Mulling over ideas at the moment such as...

- Doctor regenerates as a woman (Tamsin Greig!), gets Xander as a companion (because I think Xander sparks off women well, and I've always wanted to see a female doctor).

- Jack/Xander slash (though not sure I can bothered to write that...somehow, mind can fill in the blanks already so, why write it down!)

- Xander/10 fic exploring ten's humanity, with reference to Xander's experiences with Willow and Buffy and their humanity or lack thereof...would be a bit talky though, but interesting. There should be a name for this...for discursive fic...kind of almost an essay, but with characters talking...hmmm...

Then again, I'm quite keen on doing some more just season 8 fics or straight doctor who fics.

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

Hah found it.

Really should be sticky this thread, Anyhoo i have been mightily inspired by the excellent drabbles and ficlets regarding dr who that have appeared on here.

I was thinking of writing a longer crossover Buffy/DW peice. Specifically i can see a Nordic sort of themecoming through from DW, wioth the fire and ice, coming storm thing. Just seems very...mythic to me.

anyon agree or have i finally flipped?
            JUST ENOUGH KILL

sigpic
            Banner by Ciderdrinker

Comment

I've got a couple of Season 8 fic ideas in mind, one dealing with Giles finding out
              Spoiler:
              about Ethan being murdered.
              sigpic
              Banner by LRae12

Comment

At the moment I'm mulling over various Who crossover options. I think what's attracting me to xovers so much at the moment with Who is that, because the season hasn't finished yet, I'm loath to dive in in case my story gets "disproved" (if you know what I mean) by what's to come...but with a Crossover, I feel like I'm going outside the canon anyway so, doesn't matter so much.
                The thing to me that makes DW such a juicy choice for X-over is that it's very hard to be disproved. You could set the story with any doctor and theres nothing to say that it hasn't happened at some point but we just haven't seen it. You can mess about with time and causality cos he does.

Having said that the only thing that could be held sacred are regenerations. We know that thus far he only gets 13. we also know all 10 that he has had. Of course there's nothing to say waht weould happen if he slipped into a different dimesion.
                JUST ENOUGH KILL

sigpic
                Banner by Ciderdrinker

Comment

I was thinking of writing a longer crossover Buffy/DW peice. Specifically i can see a Nordic sort of themecoming through from DW, wioth the fire and ice, coming storm thing. Just seems very...mythic to me.

anyon agree or have i finally flipped?
                  Not at all...there's definitely something of the Loki in the Doctor. Go with it! I see the Doc as much more mythic than Buffy. Buffy subverts myth...the Doctor does sometimes too...but not as much as she does.

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
                  I've got a couple of Season 8 fic ideas in mind, one dealing with Giles finding out
                  Spoiler:
                  about Ethan being murdered.
                  That is a BRILLIANT idea, would love to read his reactions to that. Please!

Comment

Here's a couple of general questions re ficcing and writing in general.

I have been accused by some of a certain, how can i put it... mopiness in my fics which seems to be something i can't help. Anyone any tips on how this can be balanced?

also i recently wrote a none ficcy piece fro a competion but never got the chance to enter it, can't get on to my LJ site to post it there. Anyone any ideas? (It's a sci-fi piece.0
                    JUST ENOUGH KILL

sigpic
                    Banner by Ciderdrinker

Comment

Originally posted by tangent View Post
                      The thing to me that makes DW such a juicy choice for X-over is that it's very hard to be disproved. You could set the story with any doctor and theres nothing to say that it hasn't happened at some point but we just haven't seen it. You can mess about with time and causality cos he does.
                      True...though I feel you do need to respect emotional continuity. I don't know much about previous Who's (can't remember a lot of detail from when IWas a kid, and have only seen the odd Tom Baker), but with 9 and 10, definitely would need to respect their different arcs. But yeah, could fit a lot within that and still feel canony.

Having said that the only thing that could be held sacred are regenerations. We know that thus far he only gets 13. we also know all 10 that he has had. Of course there's nothing to say waht weould happen if he slipped into a different dimesion.
                      Maybe if 13 was a woman, she could have kids? Do we know how timelords reproduce??

Comment

Try writing a short fic about something benign and fun. A Season 2 fic of the gang watching a movie or something.
                        sigpic
                        Banner by LRae12

Comment

Originally posted by tangent View Post
                          Here's a couple of general questions re ficcing and writing in general.

I have been accused by some of a certain, how can i put it... mopiness in my fics which seems to be something i can't help. Anyone any tips on how this can be balanced?
                          Add some jokes. Add some more jokes. Then some more. That's what makes Buffy great...it never mopes for long, always moving along to the funny from the sad. Ok, most of the time.

also i recently wrote a none ficcy piece fro a competion but never got the chance to enter it, can't get on to my LJ site to post it there. Anyone any ideas? (It's a sci-fi piece.0
                          Why don't you post it here?

Comment

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
                            Try writing a short fic about something benign and fun. A Season 2 fic of the gang watching a movie or something.
                            That's a good idea. Or a simple demon fighting fic - with the gang working together. Teamwork is unangsty.

Comment

Write that, then re-read it to see if it is at all mopey.
                              sigpic
                              Banner by LRae12

Comment

Working...
                              X