No announcement yet.

Articles/essays/notes on fanfiction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really like Jessica Hautsch, she often appears on Conversations with Dead People podcast (one of my favourites) and I follow her on twitter, though she rarely tweets about Buffy.

Comment

What Fan Fiction Teaches That the Classroom Doesn’t:

https://www.theatlantic.com/educatio...riting/599197/

I do have to say though that I feel the article looks upon fanfiction as a way of training for how to be writing original fiction. I know that many fanfic writers do go on to publish original fiction and it makes me proud and of course happy for them. But there are also writers who already have published original fiction and still write fanfiction. And there are also writers who never want to write original fiction. Fanfiction isn't some kind of a lesser fiction that one writes while trying to become more than just a fanfiction writer. It is an art form of its own. It's fun. It's fandom. It's community. It's a way of writing and reading.

What do you think?

flow

................................ Banner by buffylover

Comment

Fanfic writing is a very paticular type of writng. It has to be as good, as engrossing, as exciting as other fictional writing, but it also has be represent something that went before it. It takes real skill to do both

Comment

Not sure if this link to a really interesting article about fan fiction will work. Knowing my (lack of) skillz, probably not.

https://www.theatlantic.com/educatio...riting/599197/
          You know what I am. You've always known. You come to me all the same.

"There's a lot of comedy to be gotten from the world's doom spiral right now." Tracey Ullman, June 2018

Comment

Analysis shows that the more feedback a writer gets, the better their vocab becomes. I think that's so interesting, as I don't tend to leave much feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post

Wow! As someone who has fics posted there, I feel very proud. I'd like to thank my mum, my dad, god and my agent . . .

Nobody’s going to play music to drown you out. You will get that T-shirt, won’t you!

loving this thread.
              my take on fanfiction is that everyone writes it, especially professional writers. The new stories on the last series of Poldark were entirely new storylines and characters invented by the adapters. Susan Hill and PD James have written sequels to Rebecca. Etc, etc, etc.

It’s all homage and tribute.

sorry to post that link the second time after flow did a much better job than I.

and well done AO3. Nice work.
              You know what I am. You've always known. You come to me all the same.

"There's a lot of comedy to be gotten from the world's doom spiral right now." Tracey Ullman, June 2018

Comment

Agatha Christie's Poirot is now written by Sophie Hannah (I think) and Anthony Horowitz now writes James Bond books, and someone else is writing Sherlock Holmes books, but I can't remember who. They could all be seen as fanfic.

Comment

Working...
                X