No announcement yet.

Things I love to read in fanfics....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're a ship fan, then, like my sister - I tried to get her to read gen, she would never read anything if it's not Spander. I'm more of a character fan. I love to read about Xander with other characters whether it's a ship or a friendship fic.
    Made by Trickyboxes
    Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

Originally posted by Sosa lola View Post
      You're a ship fan, then, like my sister - I tried to get her to read gen, she would never read anything if it's not Spander. I'm more of a character fan. I love to read about Xander with other characters whether it's a ship or a friendship fic.
      I am very much a ship fan I do read other fics, including gen and other ships, but my heart will always belong to Spuffy.

Comment

Another thing that I really like is when writers explore what it would mean to be the Key. Wouldn't you want to explore that, if you thought you contained/were some ancient mystical energy? Especially if you otherwise felt bland and out of place among superhumans? I think most people would, especially people who are as curious and driven as Dawn. The show largely drops the subject, outside of Willow threatening to turn Dawn back into a ball of energy in "Two to Go." But just ignoring it never made sense to me. It's particularly egregious when you find out in "CWDP" that Dawn is working pretty advanced magic herself. She's more advanced than Willow was after the same time of study. (Recall that Willow couldn't even control a pencil in "Doppelgangland," close to a year after she'd begun learning spells.) That... sounds like a Key thing. Does it make working magic easier? Safer? More dangerous? I can't imagine that nobody would wonder about it. Then there's that stupid scene in "Get It Done," when Willow claims she drew on Kennedy to open a portal because Kennedy was "the strongest person in the room," which makes absolutely no sense when you consider how much power is bundled into Dawn and its relationship to portals. Sure, Kennedy's a potential, but Buffy's an actual Slayer, yet Willow had previously threatened to use Dawn, not Buffy, as a power source. Even if there was only one occasion when Dawn's blood would've opened every dimension at once, it's got to still be a factor. A fingerstick or used maxi should've yielded enough power to force open one measly little door that the Shadow Men intended to be opened anyway. And then there's the species aspect. Do human balls of energy age? Do they "die," or just turn back into energy? We know the Key was alive, but was it a sentient individual before the monks transformed it into Dawn? Where to balls of energy go when they die? I haven't seen all of this addressed in fic, but I've found a handful of ficlets that address bits and pieces of the Dawn puzzle, and I love them.

Comment

Time travel. I will read anything at least once if it involves time travel. It doesn't even have to be Spuffy. I read this great Cangel time travel fic ages ago. And one where the AI team, sans Wes, travel back to the days of Evil!Wig!Angelus. Time travel is my lifeblood (unless it is William in the lead, instead of Spike )

I'm a sucker for great, big, epic, ensemble fics. Origins, the Players verse and such come to mind. Shove as many characters as you can in there, give each of them at least a somewhat important role to play (yes, even Andrew) and write great, big, bloody fight sequences, and I am all over that (like white on rice!)

I will generally read everything once (that's why I can actually recommend a good incest fic, shocking, I know) but I have my preferences. Obviously things like in-character voices are a given. I love AU universes, whether they only change a few small details or the whole world is unrecognizable. I love body switches, and de-agings, and gritty, gnarly angst with no HEA in sight, and fluffy, teeth-decaying, HEA fics.

I don't really discriminate much :P
          "Gay, straight, retarded, why do we have to put a label on everything?"

Comment

Originally posted by Puppet View Post
            Time travel. I will read anything at least once if it involves time travel.
            I adore time travel! I've written a Spander one a long time ago and I need to finish my Spuffy one with Xander being zapped to S1 and so over everything teenagery.
            Made by Trickyboxes
            Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

Time travel. I will read anything at least once if it involves time travel. It doesn't even have to be Spuffy. I read this great Cangel time travel fic ages ago. And one where the AI team, sans Wes, travel back to the days of Evil!Wig!Angelus. Time travel is my lifeblood (unless it is William in the lead, instead of Spike )
              I've been requesting some Cangel recs for ages and no-one has recommended anything, so if you know any great Cangel fics, I'm always up for them

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                I've been requesting some Cangel recs for ages and no-one has recommended anything, so if you know any great Cangel fics, I'm always up for them
                A Stitch in Time by Yahtzee - This is Gen, but it's the second one I mentioned about AI time travel.

Incense and Peppermint by David Falkayn - I think this is Cangel, I know this is time travel.

Two Steps Back by Yahtzee - This is the Cangel one I mentioned, though it's mostly introspective Angel for the larger part. I re-read this last month and it still holds up. Great originality for the time travel part, too.

Comment

A Stitch in Time by Yahtzee - This is Gen, but it's the second one I mentioned about AI time travel.

Incense and Peppermint by David Falkayn - I think this is Cangel, I know this is time travel.

Two Steps Back by Yahtzee - This is the Cangel one I mentioned, though it's mostly introspective Angel for the larger part. I re-read this last month and it still holds up. Great originality for the time travel part, too.
                  Thank you Puppet! These are now on my reading list

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                    Thank you Puppet! These are now on my reading list
                    Did you ever get around to reading them? And are you still on a journey for good Cangel fics?

Comment

Did you ever get around to reading them? And are you still on a journey for good Cangel fics?
                      I'm sorry Puppet, I haven't read them, but I have started A Stitch in Time and am enjoying it. I will definitely read them all this week now I've been reminded - I have the memory of a goldfish . . . so I guess I could have read them and just forgotten

I am always on the look out for great Cangel fanfic.

Comment

Poetry. I really love to read about poetry in fanfics. Not only a poem or two but people talking about poetry. It makes me go all fuzzy and warm inside and I rediscover my love for poetry and so many long-forgotten poems. Sometimes I even discover poets I have never read before. I swear I discovered Emily Dickinson and Edna St. Vincent Millay through fanfiction.

flow
                        ................................ Banner by buffylover

Comment

I like poetry too. I also like when spike is on good terms with Dawn and/or Joyce.

“I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

Comment

I"m sure I'll have said this in the thread before, but a Spike & Dawn friendship is my absolute top addition in a Spuffy fic. I've read fics that is more about their friendship than Spike/Buffy and loved that too.

Comment

I can't recommend this newly published fic - Bring It On Home by MaggieLaFey because I've not read it yet, but it does have Betta George in, and that is a big draw for me. So that's something I like in a fic - Betta George

Comment

• redtent
                                redtent commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Oh, I haven't read any fics with Betta George in it, this goes on my to read list. Obviously, I'm a big fan.

I love Betta George too. In last year's Spring round of Seasonal Spuffy, fra_apples put up two chapters of a story featuring Spike and George that was off to a promising start. Sadly, I think it's still unfinished.

https://seasonal-spuffy.livejournal.com/659204.html
                              https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

Comment

• Priceless
                                Priceless commented
                                Editing a comment
                                It's the same fic! How odd is that?
                            Working...
                            X