No announcement yet.

Things I love to read in fanfics....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could be. But could also be someone else. I want something that sounds unmistakably like Xander.

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

Comment

It depends on the person he's talking to. With a girlfriend, he'd use endearments like honey and sweetie. With his friends, he'd shorten their names or use 'ster' in the end like Buffster, Dawnster, Willster. He'd call Giles 'Big G' or just 'G' or by his profession like Watcher Guy or Council Man or Mr. Libraian. Those he dislikes he'd insult with a quality they have: blood-breath for Spike and Angel. With Cordelia he tends to slut shame her and insult her clothes or go for the fact that she has it easy because she's rich. He'd go for the hurt.

I think I would go with the quality of the person. What's your character's most pronounced feature and Xander would go there. Like how he insulted Tara's brother's beard.
      Made by Trickyboxes
      Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

Omg Sosa Lola you're so accurate with this! I'm also attempting a fanfic and would love your input: in your opinion how do you think Xander would grieve for Anya post Chosen (in keeping with his character)? Would sorrow show through or would he put on a chipper front - or somewhere in between?
        Last edited by SpuffyGlitz; 23-05-18, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SpuffyGlitz View Post
          Omg Sosa Lola you're so accurate with this! I'm also attempting a fanfic and would love your input: in your opinion how do you think Xander would grieve for Anya post Chosen (in keeping with his character)? Would sorrow show through or would he put on a chipper front - or somewhere in between?
          Chipper front in front of everybody, but alone he'd wallow in sorrow and possibly drink himself silly. Xander never dealt well with trauma, he bottles his feelings inside: his home life, Jesse, almost raped and murdered by his teacher, being possessed by hyenas, Faith's attempted rape and murder, losing his eye, losing Anya. He dealt with all of that with self-deprecating jokes in front of the others.

I love that the comics dealt with this as Xander would face two more traumas, the second one would finally break him. Xander's anger issues which showed their ugly face during the show's run in different places (Becoming Part 1, Dead Man's Party, Revelations and Entropy) came back with a vengeance in S9 and thankfully was acknowledged (like Jesse's death as well) and dealt with in S10 with Xander going to therapy.
          Made by Trickyboxes

Comment

Sparkly Vampires. I like Sparkly Vampires - especially those who sparkle because of bioluminescence. Thanks Rebcake!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TriBel View Post
              Sparkly Vampires. I like Sparkly Vampires - especially those who sparkle because of bioluminescence. Thanks Rebcake!
              Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..... just say not to Sparklepires... is bioluminescence a Twilight thing? I'm not aware of any other sparklepires. Twilight just creeps me out.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepBlueJoy View Post
                Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..... just say not to Sparklepires... is bioluminescence a Twilight thing? I'm not aware of any other sparklepires. Twilight just creeps me out.
                I believe it's a reference to this little ditty: Wonders Never Cease
                Weird love is better than no love — Buffy Summers

Comment

Originally posted by Rebcake View Post
                  I believe it's a reference to this little ditty: Wonders Never Cease
                  Oh, that was priceless!

Comment

Originally posted by DeepBlueJoy View Post
                    Oh, that was priceless!
                    Yes - it was a reference to Wonders Never Cease but I deliberately made it ambiguous because of the whole "Real Vampires Don't Sparkle" meme! Rebcake - it was so evocative I googled the sites you suggested and thought "The Maldives! Renew your passport - quick!". I'd have loved to have seen this on screen (minus the bits they couldn't have shown).
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TriBel View Post
                      Yes - it was a reference to Wonders Never Cease but I deliberately made it ambiguous because of the whole "Real Vampires Don't Sparkle" meme! Rebcake - it was so evocative I googled the sites you suggested and thought "The Maldives! Renew your passport - quick!". I'd have loved to have seen this on screen (minus the bits they couldn't have shown).
                      In my fantasy it was on skinimax!

Comment

Okay, while we're at it, I love fic that manages to evoke the silliness, the sexiness, and the seriousness of the show. It's a tall order, but if it feels like an episode or a scene, then I'm a happy reader. Usually this includes dialog that pops, or descriptions that, um, sparkle.

I don't ask for much, do I?
                        Weird love is better than no love — Buffy Summers

Comment

Originally posted by Rebcake View Post
                          Okay, while we're at it, I love fic that manages to evoke the silliness, the sexiness, and the seriousness of the show. It's a tall order, but if it feels like an episode or a scene, then I'm a happy reader. Usually this includes dialog that pops, or descriptions that, um, sparkle.

I don't ask for much, do I?
                          Nope, you're asking for exactly what I want in any story... We're fussy beasties, aren't we?

Comment

but if it feels like an episode or a scene, then I'm a happy reader
                            Yep ! Unfortunately those are rare...

flow
                            ................................ Banner by buffylover

Comment

DeepBlueJoy's post in the Why did Xander limit himself (outside of generally being a Scooby)? reminded me of the fic Sands of Time by James and Wolfing.

DeepBlueJoy discusses that if Xander had someone encouraging him, he would have done better in school.

James and Wolfing had Giles adopt Xander in their fic during S1. Giles as Xander's guardian was pushing Xander hard to do well academically and we see more scenes with Willow tutoring Xander. The scene where Xander gets his first A ever is so overwhelming and heartbreaking, especially the part where he's hurried to the library to show it to Giles. Later, Xander discovers his passion for demonology and finally moves to college in LA after graduation.

I enjoy when a change brings other changes that make sense in fics. Xander is a bit slow in math as he tells Jack in the Zeppo, but he isn't dumb. Xander, Willow, and Buffy are in the same classes a lot of the time and in a normal high school Willow should be in honors classes, so that means he's working extra hard in high level classes.

My favorite part was Xander having lunch with his mother a few weeks before graduation. So many complicated emotions in that scene from her shock about Xander being accepted to a college to her resentment that nobody told her about it, Xander being inwardly sarcastic about her line that he and Aunt Debbie are the first Harrises to go to college to which he thinks he's not the first "Giles" to go to college.
                              Made by Trickyboxes

Comment

Originally posted by Sosa lola View Post
                                DeepBlueJoy's post in the Why did Xander limit himself (outside of generally being a Scooby)? reminded me of the fic Sands of Time by James and Wolfing.

DeepBlueJoy discusses that if Xander had someone encouraging him, he would have done better in school.

James and Wolfing had Giles adopt Xander in their fic during S1. Giles as Xander's guardian was pushing Xander hard to do well academically and we see more scenes with Willow tutoring Xander. The scene where Xander gets his first A ever is so overwhelming and heartbreaking, especially the part where he's hurried to the library to show it to Giles. Later, Xander discovers his passion for demonology and finally moves to college in LA after graduation.

I enjoy when a change brings other changes that make sense in fics. Xander is a bit slow in math as he tells Jack in the Zeppo, but he isn't dumb. Xander, Willow, and Buffy are in the same classes a lot of the time and in a normal high school Willow should be in honors classes, so that means he's working extra hard in high level classes.

My favorite part was Xander having lunch with his mother a few weeks before graduation. So many complicated emotions in that scene from her shock about Xander being accepted to a college to her resentment that nobody told her about it, Xander being inwardly sarcastic about her line that he and Aunt Debbie are the first Harrises to go to college to which he thinks he's not the first "Giles" to go to college.
                                Thank you for mentioning me, SL!!

I do something of this in my story After Midnight... with a life going radically different after he gets involved with an unexpected relationship, he ends up beginning to envision a new direction for his life... I really do believe he could have done a lot with better support. Most of us do. Chaos is the enemy of good school performance. Ask anyone from a home with fighting, or who had to move around a lot... anything that breaks the rhythm of that process can scatter progress to the four winds.

BTW, I'm very fond of Wolfling and especially a certain series about Giles and Ethan... one of the best series on the internet in any fandom, IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                X