Things I love to read in fanfics....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things I love to read in fanfics....

This thread was suggested by Rebcake in our thread "Things I don`t like to read in fanfics".

Let`s be positive! I can`t wait to hear your thoughts!

I feel a bit nervous about admitting this, because if you haven`t noticed already, you will now know, how shallow and girlish I am. But I really like to read in fanfics, how Spike`s voice gets hoarse or husky or dark and low.....

I also love Wuffy fics, if they are well written. There aren`t that many, but those I love.

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

A well written Spike/Dawn friendship is probably my biggest weakness. Any Spike/friendships that are thoughtfully written with good characterisations I'm likely to be pleased by. I have to admit to quite liking a bit of feral in fics or hurt/comfort if it doesn't go ott and into woobifying.

Comment

I love fics that have Spike rejecting Buffy and she has to chase after him and persuade him that she really does love him.

I'm also a big fan of Dawn in a fic, like Stoney, especially when it's a Dawn/Spike friendship.

I love some Buffy/Spike banter when it's funny and well written.

There are so few fics set within the comics, but I do like fics set in Seasons 8, 9 or 10. Would love to read something set in Season 11 but haven't found one yet.

Love time-travel fics, when one character has to go back and change the past.

Comment

I love redeemed, ensouled Dru, but so seldom see it. I like when she's a real character... again, i am not fond of caricatures... in fact:

I love well characterized and developed characters -- positive or negative -- no bashing, no lionizing. No matter who you're writing. You must work with their faults and flaws as the are even if they are the hero of the piece. Similarly, you need to develop the whole person if you want to make them into a villain... if you love your villain, as the tragedy develops, I'll love them too... If you SHOW YOUR WORK, you can take your character almost anywhere... good, bad, transformed or destroyed... if they're going to go bad or change substantially, tell me why, at a minimum. If they are vital to the story, show me HOW.

If you bash ANYONE -- even my most hated character, I won't read you story, and if you bash as a rule, I won't read your work. Yes, even if you otherwise are a superlative writer.

I love Buffy -- I like to see her written well - in all her complexity and contradictions. She is complicated. Try to respect her, and remember that there is NO canon evidence she's a terrible driver... she had one accident when Sunnydale was a mess due to band candy. She had no license at the time, and we don't know if she'd learned to drive. There's no proof she's a terrible cook either. I do not like caricature Buffy. I don't like cute dumb Buffy, even if the writer actually likes her. Buffy is smart and resourceful and a survivor. She also has significant faults.

Well drawn, rounded Xander -- and yes, i love to read him when he's well done, but he's my least favorite character to read when he's 'superperfectignorehisflawsandmake him godxander' or 'demonxanderthe extra retardhorrible'.

Well done sex. If you suck at writing sex, please don't bother. I don't need sex in my stories to make them good. I hate reading a perfectly cromulent story that's just whizzing along wonderfully, then we *hit* the bedroom, and 'beautiful writing version 10, service pack 77' is replaced by beta version badsecks 1 -- or just vapourware.

Sex should add something to your stories, reveal something about your characters AND turn you on, touch you, make you laugh, make you cry, even make you cringe... but not because the writing is awful.

Correct technical details, particularly medical details, but not so much detail that you get bored. If I wanted to read a text book, I'd take a class! I don't need a lot of details, but if you choose to go there, get it CORRECT.

a couple more things:

Slash that develops the characters' relationship in a real way -- not just 'two boyz pwetty' let's shoehorn them into bed.

I love especially stories about Ethan and Giles -- preferably contemporary time ones that redeem Ethan.

I also enjoy well done stories about Angel and Xander -- I think that boy doth protest too much!

I know I'm being a bit evil, but I saw it done one time, and my inner sadist was well pleased so: Rangel!! -- Riley and Angel. Blame EF for that one. They thought it up!! They created the monster!

- - - Updated - - -

I love fic where we save someone who died in canon. Preferably in a simple, but creative way.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
        I love fics that have Spike rejecting Buffy and she has to chase after him and persuade him that she really does love him.

I'm also a big fan of Dawn in a fic, like Stoney, especially when it's a Dawn/Spike friendship.

I love some Buffy/Spike banter when it's funny and well written.

There are so few fics set within the comics, but I do like fics set in Seasons 8, 9 or 10. Would love to read something set in Season 11 but haven't found one yet.

Love time-travel fics, when one character has to go back and change the past.
        I love great time travel fic too. particularly Spuffy time travel fic. I prefer when they actually change things because of being there, not just get together...

I love Dawn in fic too... but I enjoy seeing what Dawn becomes as a woman...
        Last edited by DeepBlueJoy; 21-05-18, 02:30 AM.

Comment

I love so many things!

First: I love topsy-turvy stories, which explore how characters would behave if something was different about them. Genderswap, for instance, or facing multiverse versions of themselves, or spells/wishes gone wrong, or time shifts. It was established that this could happen — a lot — on the show, so why not in fic? (If it gets too dark, I might cover my eyes, though.) I think it goes without saying, that I love it when those things are done well and are really thoughtful about how a character would react to the situation they find themselves in.

Second: I love stories that focus on rare characters. The Chaos Demon, Lydia the Watcher, Buffybot, Willie the Snitch, Spike's Date to Xander's not-wedding, D'Hoffryn, Sheila the bad girl vamp, Holden Webster, and a cast of dozens. There were so many interesting people in the 'verse, and if everybody is the star of their own life, then there can be leading roles for all, right?

Those are just a couple of the things I love. More to come!
          Last edited by Rebcake; 22-05-18, 04:38 AM.
          Weird love is better than no love — Buffy Summers

Comment

Creative pairings... I really enjoyed (for example) putting Buffy with Teal'c from Stargate... and exploring all the complicated (and not just surface-y) reasons why it should work.

I enjoy really well done canon pairings, but unconventional pairings crossover or not (Wesley/Willow, Giles/Ethan or Drusilla/Father Patrick Debreno) that are well done, really give me something to sink my teeth into!

I once read a series of short stories with Illyria paired with John Winchester (Supernatural). They were perfect... and hysterically funny.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepBlueJoy View Post
              Creative pairings... I really enjoyed (for example) putting Buffy with Teal'c from Stargate... and exploring all the complicated (and not just surface-y) reasons why it should work.

I enjoy really well done canon pairings, but unconventional pairings crossover or not (Wesley/Willow, Giles/Ethan or Drusilla/Father Patrick Debreno) that are well done, really give me something to sink my teeth into!

I once read a series of short stories with Illyria paired with John Winchester (Supernatural). They were perfect... and hysterically funny.
              So have you read any Spike/Dean Winchester? That's a Xover pairing I really enjoy!
              Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

Comment

Originally posted by bespangled View Post
                So have you read any Spike/Dean Winchester? That's a Xover pairing I really enjoy!
                Long ago. For some reason i see him more with Sam. And poor Dean with Angel!! A match made in hell, the funny kind! Because i see them madly in love, but also annoying each other with incessant arguing, and everyone else with noisy make up sex!
                Other than incest, (because YUCK and horribles) I will read almost any combo if it is more than jocks with cocks. That is really boring.
                Last edited by DeepBlueJoy; 15-07-18, 12:38 PM.

Comment

I love angst. Xander angst specifically. I just love reading well written fics about the dynamic between Xander and his parents, especially when his parents are written like flawed people and not one dimensional monsters.

Like @Stoney, friendship fics are my life! I'd kill myself for a well written Xander/Giles friendship fic. Their dynamic is so interesting but was never really explored on the show. I wish fanfic writers would pay more attention to it. I just settled for Xander/Giles Slash fics and they're actually pretty good.

Time travel fics, Female Xander, Pregnant Xander and de-aged Xander are guilt pleasure fics!!!!
                  Made by Trickyboxes
                  Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

de-aged Xander
                    I'm going to show my ignorance here, but what is a de-aged character?

Comment

I assume that is talking about when a character is turned into a child again.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                        I'm going to show my ignorance here, but what is a de-aged character?
                        Stoney is right. Xander gets turned into a kid. It used to be a thing back in my early fanfic reading days. My all time favorite fic was the incredibly funny Small Fray, where Xander, Spike, Buffy and Giles get turned into 4 year olds (still keeping their memories) and Willow, Tara and Dawn fussing over them and taking care of them (much to mini-Giles' annoyance.)
                        Made by Trickyboxes

Comment

Originally posted by Sosa lola View Post
                          Stoney is right. Xander gets turned into a kid. It used to be a thing back in my early fanfic reading days. My all time favorite fic was the incredibly funny Small Fray, where Xander, Spike, Buffy and Giles get turned into 4 year olds (still keeping their memories) and Willow, Tara and Dawn fussing over them and taking care of them (much to mini-Giles' annoyance.)
                          Err . . . I guess it could work for comedy purposes

Comment

Sosa Lola, this is OT, but could you help me (for a fanfic) with an expression or a phrase or a nickname Xander would use, that would be typical and characteristic for him?

flow
                            ................................ Banner by buffylover

Comment

Originally posted by flow View Post
                              Sosa Lola, this is OT, but could you help me (for a fanfic) with an expression or a phrase or a nickname Xander would use, that would be typical and characteristic for him?

flow
                              A nickname for who? Spike?
                              Made by Trickyboxes

Comment

Working...
                              X