Spuffy Fanfic Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spuffy Fanfic Recommendations

Not sure if there already is a thread for this, but I couldn't find one so thought I'd post one. This isn't for discussion or group readings...I just wanted an informal space where we could drop in fanfic recommendations for Spuffy fiction that we've read and liked.

I'll start by posting a few:

1) Harm by TheSigyn - a short piece revealing depth of Spike's feelings for Buffy in Angel S5, from the perspective of Harmony https://www.archiveofourown.org/works/4079968

2) Skin on Skin by NautiBitz - mid season 5 BtVS between Into the Woods and Blood Ties. Riley has left, Spike hasn't declared his love yet, Joyce is alive and well. https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5831167/1/Skin-on-Skin

Disclaimer: I haven't read a lot of fanfic, so I'm not sure how these compare to most stories but they were good enough for me so far..
    buffylover made this stunning banner

Thanks for opening this thread ! You are right, we do have a general fanfic recommendation thread but not a specific one for Spuffy fanfic.

1) Harm by TheSigyn
    I am an absolute sucker for Sigyn´s stories. She is one of the best fanfic writers ever. Do you know the site Elysian Fields ? It is a fanfic site for Spuffy fanfic only and Sigyn has not only published all her Spuffy fanfic on there, she is also very often posting in the shoutbox and visits the chat room sometimes. She will also reply to PM`s overe there or to reviews, if you leave them for her stories.

Last not least, she has been a guest on the Sunnydale Fanfiction Club Podcast a couple of weeks ago. If you want to hear her talk, you have to check that out.

At the moment she is writing a new story, that is called Dark Kisses. It starts ever so sweet - Angel and Buffy are getting married at the end of season 3 and Angel does not leave for L.A. but stays in Sunnydale and they live happily ever after....until Buffy gets a bit frustrated because of the lack of a love life. Then she meets Spike.....

I really want to recommend this story, although it is still a Work In Progress. I never read WIP`s as a matter of principal, but Sigyn publishes a new chapter very regularily (about once a week) and I trust her to not leave the story abandoned.

I have not read anything by NautiBitz so far, but I have heard her name mentioned a lot. I will put your recommendation on my to-read-list !

Have you noticed, that we are going to discuss A Better Man by sunalso next Friday ? It is a Spuffy fanfic as well. I`d be happy, if you would join us in reading and discussing it.

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

Comment

Oh awesome!! Thanks for the information, flow! I did join Elysian Fields some weeks ago. I will have to check out more by the same author there! I found this piece by her elsewhere online. I will definitely check out the new fics you mentioned - like the one called A Better Man - title sounds interesting.

Comment

I have become less and less comfortable recommending fics without someone telling me the kinds of things they look for, favourite 'types' or what they really dislike etc. So I really just wouldn't know of the hundreds of stories I've read which are most likely to be enjoyed by most people. Eurydice fics are often well received but definitely of the lengthy variety. I think most people seemed to like Promise of Frost that read it recently, although I missed the reread to be sure my opinion hasn't changed substantially it was on my favourites list.

Everyone seems to have such varying opinions on fics. Just to prove the point, I have to say of the limited Sigyn fics I've read Harm was the only one I actively disliked. I didn't buy for one moment that Spike would expose himself to Harmony like that. I also am finding when I read stories with the group that my opinions on stories can have changed. Certain things started to become irritating or cliched the more stories I read. I'm perhaps just awkward.

I hope you're able to join us in the reading group SpuffyGlitz.

Comment

Thanks very much, Stoney I'm currently going to start with reading A Better Man by sunalso - but I'd love to join the reading group. I have some deadlines coming up so hopefully after that.

Agree, fanfic is one of the most individual things in terms of preferences. I have read literally not more than 10 fanfics, though (maybe less). Harm is the only piece by Sigyn I've read, so I'd probably enjoy her other pieces more. For me it's so rare to find a fic I can read without immediately encountering something that spoils it that I'm willing to overlook some implausibility lol.

So I guess I'm saying, I appreciate any and all recommendations, keeping in mind everyone's tastes are different

Comment

Did you know, that there are all-penguin Spuffy fics? Not just a single one. It seems to be a whole genre.....

flow

Comment

Yeah, that started on Live Journal went through a bit of a fad. That and 'Fairy' Spike.

Comment

Originally posted by flow View Post
                Did you know, that there are all-penguin Spuffy fics? Not just a single one. It seems to be a whole genre.....
                Eh? Explainy please.

Comment

It's where Buffy all the main players are penguins set in an alternative penguin dimension.

And yes, It is meant to be played for laughs.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver1 View Post
                    It's where Buffy all the main players are penguins set in an alternative penguin dimension.

And yes, It is meant to be played for laughs.
                    Okay, how the heckety have I managed to totally miss this after years of reading fanfics. I've now got to read a penguin fic, it's a must, where do I find them??

Comment

I think they're hard to find since a lot of journals were deleted due to the whole Russian take over thing sadly. Maybe some are still around but I'm not sure where.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver1 View Post
                        Yeah, that started on Live Journal went through a bit of a fad. That and 'Fairy' Spike.
                        Oh yes I've read one of those. And one was enough

Comment

Yeah, but unlike some fics I could name they know they're being ridiculous.

Comment

Here is a link to a Spuffy all-penguin Fanfiction series:

https://archiveofourown.org/series/3069

It came up on EF today. Otherwise I wouldn`t have known about it and geeez, was I thinking "What freaking bizarro world did I wake up in today?"

If you`d like a visual, to go with it (although, strictly speaking this is just Buffy!penguin), this one came up on EF today as well:

https://stormwreath.livejournal.com/...ml#/99694.html

flow

ETA: I tried. I really did. I couldn`t do it. Buffy going Kaaaark, while abandoning the Spuffy eggs to slay a whale with an icicle was too much for me to bear.
                            Last edited by flow; 22-04-18, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by flow View Post
                              I tried. I really did. I couldn`t do it. Buffy going Kaaaark, while abandoning the Spuffy eggs to slay a whale with an icicle was too much for me to bear.
                              To enjoy these stories it's definitely a requirement that you're willing and able to roll with the silliness
                              https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

Comment

Working...
                              X