Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things, I don`t like to read in fanfics....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Future Perfect by Sigyn. The fic is about several possible futures for Spike and Buffy and the one we were referring to is described in chapter 6 - Aged.

https://dark-solace.org/elysian/view...5633&chapter=6

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

Comment

• I'm sorry, I'd love to be immortal. I can't imagine ever running out of places to see and things to do. Also, I'm never too keen on stories where Spike kills himself when Buffy dies, that he feels so worthless without her and can't imagine finding purpose in existing still. I don't find it romantic but feel it lacks hope in life that isn't very in keeping with the messages of the show.

EDIT: I do agree that the limited time of life and seeing it as precious is the pov the show works to.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't really think Spike leaving before he knows he loves Buffy in S2, S3 & S4 counts. After his revelation he only leaves to get his soul, so that's intended to be a temporary thing, and of course he then doesn't return after he burns in the Hellmouth. The latter I think is somewhat different anyway because he didn't control being a ghost and being tied to W&H and then the choice to stay away once he is recorporealised is a different one from leaving when you're already there. I think it is played as a significant thing though after he has returned to Buffy when he then decides to go in S9. Of course that then leads to him realising he doesn't want to wander anymore and he returns again permanently after that. I agree with Pricey that the notion that Spike doesn't leave despite these comes greatly from him staying post S5 and then remaining when Buffy asks him to in S7. And of course a great deal of the emphasis comes through considering it a character point in comparison to others who left Buffy when their relationships failed. I don't think it is entirely unwarranted but I also don't think it is as significant a character point as some fics labour it to be, and he does choose to stay away for a while post S7 and then actually deliberately leaves her in S9, even if it did end up being brief. The weight of it is greatly placed on it because of Buffy's abandonment issues, but I think the thing is that not going isn't necessarily a positive thing in every circumstance and so the significance of the comparison against other people in Buffy's life who leave is somewhat simplifying things.
      Last edited by Stoney; 20-10-19, 07:17 PM.

Comment

• As was recently mentioned in another thread, it's quite annoying when a fic writer changes their name, and so many of them do. I understand there could be many varied reasons for doing so, but unless you are there at the time, it's often hard for readers to keep up. If you're looking for a fic 10 years down the line, it can be quite frustrating.

Comment

• I personally find fics that show Spike living on after Buffy and taking care of his extended family fairly convincing - it makes sense to me that Spike would protect and love the children of Xander and Dawn and Willow and Buffy until the end of the world just as he promised after her death in Season Five. They would give him needed family relations and companionship and they could benefit from his strengths as an immortal demon. I’d like to think that both Spike and Angel would do this for Gunn’s children as well - and anyone else who touched their immortal lives.

God knows, I’d love an immortal vampire with a soul watching over me! They could help me with moves at the very least thanks to their supernatural strength - or maybe flash a fang at any person (or currently elected official - ahem) who was cruel to others!

Comment

• Yes, this! Souled Spike especially would think of others beyond Buffy. One of the best things the comics brought him in development was in opening himself to wanting to belong more than just follow his love interest. Spike would want to stay connected to other people and continue to positively affect the world around him as well as help others he cares about.

Comment

• I don't particularly mind Spike being immortal. For him, it is imminent to be immortal - or at least difficult to kill. What I mind is making Buffy immortal too - even more immortal than Spike is, because for her neither sunlight nor decapitating or a stake is gonna work - only for them to be able to be together for literally an eternity. I always think "Duh. There is no one on this planet I would want to be with for eternity."

On the other hand, I don't mind Spike waiting for the sunrise either. After all, he isn't really immortal. Death is always possible to happen to him. Any minute. After 120 years it doesn't make much difference anymore if he dusts because someone put a stake to his heart or because he has fallen asleep next to Buffy's dead body on a beach. If you have lived for sodding ever - as he said - it is okay to stop protecting others and to simply rest. Also - yes, he would maybe want to protect the Scooby kids. but in his life span, they are gone in the wink of an eye. The grandchildren remain. Then the great-grandchildren. by then the family tree has branched out. If Buffy, Willow, and Dawnder each have three kids and those kids each have three kids he has to watch over 27 grandchildren and that's just the second generation! When the great-grand-children arrive he is going to need a spreadsheet.

flow

Comment

• I've no doubt he'd have his favourites. Ready to come if he's called on and free for a wider group, but somewhere he feels he belongs and wants to be for the majority of the time.

Comment

• I'm with flow, I like either story for Spike, immortality or death. It all depends on how well it's written.

Comment

• Immortality or death, quite the spectrum there.

Comment

• I was 20 chapters into a 40+ chaptered fic and it was really good. Well written, great story, no scoobie bashing at all, and set in the comics (which I love). Then over a couple of chapters Buffy begins to apologise for everything she ever did to Spike and taking all the blame on herself, making out that soulless Spike was nothing but a victim of Buffy the bitch. She even apologises to Giles for what happened between them in S7. I was so disappointed

Comment

• I really dislike stories that paint Buffy as 'the abusive one' and just lacking appreciation of soulless Spike who just needed better support. It hollows out the depth of the actual story and characterisation for me and is really grotesquely unfair to put blame on Buffy like that. The worst, for me, comes when it even goes to the extent of having Buffy talking about how she drove Spike to attack her and should have helped him more instead. I stopped reading a story recently for very similar reasons.

Comment

• I've had to stop reading too many fics that went that way, too : painting Spike as the ideal boyfriend, and Buffy as the crazy chick who just needs to get it together (though to be fair most stories did sympathise with her depressive state, albeit in a clunky way).
                          What I love about S6 Spike/Buffy is that they're both abusers and abused, guilty and innocent. Tip the scale one way or the other and you're going to lose me.
                          What a challenge, honesty
                          What a struggle to learn to speak
                          Who would've thought that pretending was easier

Comment

• Spike being painted as the ideal boyfriend often comes with another thing I don't like to read in fanfics. It is the expectation that Buffy has to reciprocate Spike's feelings simply because he does love her and that's so cool and awesome and there really is no way she couldn't love him in response. I am all in for Spuffy love but please - Buffy should not love Spike just because he loves her. Usually, she is being told that there is absolutely no reason for her to worry about this because he will always love her. Putting aside that you never get a guarantee for such a thing it still is simply not enough to love someone for the love he or she feels for you. If Buffy would love Spike just because he loves her it would be a very sad kind of love. What I adore most about them is that they had to put a lot of effort and hard work into their relationship. The fact that he loved her did not magically solve each and every of their issues.

flow

Comment

• Spike was also giving Buffy advice on how she should run her Slayer army, plan her actions and fight her enemies etc. He became the de facto leader and that annoyed me too. I love Spike, he's a great ideas man, and a brilliant second in command, but Buffy is the boss and I hate to see her less than she is.

Comment

• I actually do not love the idea that "Spike so totally does not need a soul to be good" - that his great capacity for love and loyalty/Buffy's love is enough to transform him and serve as his conscience. I DO believe that he is extraordinary and that his love for Buffy does change him and moderate his behavior and strongly motivates him to want to be someone she could love and TRUST. We see this in the Spike of season seven. Whatever their eventual trajectory, it is clear that he is a very different man afer the soul that before.

Also, imo, the lack of clear MORAL judgment led directly to the disaster in the bathroom. I don't think Spike pre soul had the capacity to realize that what he was doing was wrong. He was all animal/demon instinct and pushed way past sanity without even seeing it until he registers Buffy's reaction of horror, rage, pain and fear.

I forgive him this horrific violation and love and respect him because:

1) i honestly don't think he intended rape.
                                2) he did not know better
                                3) he really did have a special capacity for love - and change - and
                                4) DEEP honesty.
                                5) he ran directly to get his soul - no excuses.
                                6) he fought like hell.

In recovery, we say that an addict can truly change if they have the ability to be honest. I think Spike had that. That, not some fairy unicorn lack of need for a soul.

He was exceptional, but he did not walk on water. His redemption is remarkable because he EARNS it. This, not some bs magic faery dust makes him truly remarkable.

Comment

• Stoney
                                  Stoney commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  I think, for me, it is also about being realistic and seeing the self driven motivation in going to get his soul too, he was still focussed on trying to get what he wanted in being accepted. His character is complex, and he showed potential for sure, but he needed the soul.
                              Working...
                              X