Fanart FAQ: technical help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fanart FAQ: technical help

The FAQ thread does indeed move fast. So now there are two. This one is designated for questions about helps with programs and all that other technical stuff.
    sigpic
    follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

So I have a question

I am trying to do this manip: http://singingshrimp.voided-space.com/misc/test.jpg I want to put that head on that body which is simple enough, but what is a good technique to use to color Eliza Dushku's skin to match Dana Davis'?

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalLeonardo View Post
      So I have a question

I am trying to do this manip: http://singingshrimp.voided-space.com/misc/test.jpg I want to put that head on that body which is simple enough, but what is a good technique to use to color Eliza Dushku's skin to match Dana Davis'?

A few things you can do. Lower both the brightness and contrast. It will make the skin darker. Burn tool, midtones and shadows. Curves is good too; you can use the different options, RGB, Red, Green, Blue and play with contour curve. I think if you play with the red you can get some bronze/brown coloring from it. Levels can help too.

You can also use Replace Color. In fact, here's what I did to get this below. I applied replace color by selecting the skin tone and bringing the lightness down and the saturation down a bit too. Then I used Select >> Color Range and again sampled the skin tone and applied some Brightness/Contrast. Then I took the face to pasted on and decreased both brightness and the saturation. So I guess that's one way to do it.

sigpic
      follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

Thank You Jenni Lou! I will try this cause wow, her skin looks really natural in that picture.

Comment

I figured this was the thread to post my question in...

Um. Does anyone know where I can find a simple tutorial on doing manips? I tried to follow one that I found, but it was not a good tutorial at all I'm just looking for a basic tutorial for basic manips Can anybody help?

sigpic
          ♥ He never got out of the cockadoodie car! ♥

Comment

Originally posted by Ahm Shere View Post
            I figured this was the thread to post my question in...

Um. Does anyone know where I can find a simple tutorial on doing manips? I tried to follow one that I found, but it was not a good tutorial at all I'm just looking for a basic tutorial for basic manips Can anybody help?
            I learnt from Line
            http://shattered.escaping-madness.net/tut_manip.php
            The thing I like about Line's, is it puts the face underneath- some people put the face on top, but that doesn't work at all for me.

I'm not exactly an expert, but for me there are two parts, the moving/cutting out/blending, then the colour matching.

Comment

Originally posted by Veverka View Post
              I learnt from Line
              http://shattered.escaping-madness.net/tut_manip.php
              The thing I like about Line's, is it puts the face underneath- some people put the face on top, but that doesn't work at all for me.

I'm not exactly an expert, but for me there are two parts, the moving/cutting out/blending, then the colour matching.
              Thank you

This will really help me out I think Thanks

sigpic
              ♥ He never got out of the cockadoodie car! ♥

Comment

Wendy also has a couple manip tuts. And she's so awesome at them, they are probably also worth a look.

http://blacklagoon.left-unspoken.net/manip.php
                http://blacklagoon.left-unspoken.net/manip2.php
                sigpic

Comment

Hey guys Hopefully someone will be able to help me. I made this wallpaper last week, it's only around my sixth or seventh attempt at manipping - I'm still learning! Anyway, I was pretty pleased with how it came out, considering I'm still a beginner at manipping - but there's something I can't really figure out how to do - the shading.

You can see that Buffy's face doesn't match the base's neck and chest in terms of shadowing, and I don't think Spike looks too bad on his own, but if I'm shading Buffy, I'd have to shade him too, I'd think...

So what's the best way to do this? I tried a couple of things and couldn't work it it out, so in the end just gave up and left the wp as it looks now.

I don't use Photoshop - I use Corel Paint Shop Pro - though I think most of the features in PS are cross-platform.

Any help/advice on this is appreciated!
                  "...they put the spark in me and now all it does is burn."
                  ::My LiveJournal::

Comment

Originally posted by xaphania View Post
                    I don't use Photoshop - I use Corel Paint Shop Pro - though I think most of the features in PS are cross-platform.
                    hmm, well, since I don't know if it shares the same features I don't know if it will help. But in PS there s a cool feature under Image >> Shadow/Highlight and I have used it in instances such as this.
                    sigpic

Comment

Hey guys Hopefully someone will be able to help me. I made this wallpaper last week, it's only around my sixth or seventh attempt at manipping - I'm still learning! Anyway, I was pretty pleased with how it came out, considering I'm still a beginner at manipping - but there's something I can't really figure out how to do - the shading.

You can see that Buffy's face doesn't match the base's neck and chest in terms of shadowing, and I don't think Spike looks too bad on his own, but if I'm shading Buffy, I'd have to shade him too, I'd think...

So what's the best way to do this? I tried a couple of things and couldn't work it it out, so in the end just gave up and left the wp as it looks now.

Another handy tool for hghlights and shading like this are Curves because you can manipulate the brightness and shadow contrast. If you don't have that sometimes you can fudge your way through with brightness/contrast layers. Also, you might lowerer the Levels of the facial shots to take away some of the brightness. I'm not sure if Corel uses the same names, but I know their other programs are feature heavy so there will definitely be similar tools

Btw, nice work for just starting with manips.
                      Last edited by wenj; 10-11-09, 08:14 AM.

Comment

A simple technique can be to look how the shading is on the orignal image and then use the burn tool (or an equvalent) and go over the facial features of your manip and recreate the same shading. You can also try and take the original image, make a shape around the shadowed areas with the pen tool, copy the shape into a new layer on top of your manip, fill it with a dark colour and put it on multiply (try various opacities) and recreate the shadowing that way.

Comment

I am trying to change my kids eye color to hazel and still have it look natural and was wondering if someone had a tutorial I could follow? I'd like to see what my children would look like if they inherited my eye color instead of their dad's my sister in law wants me to change her daughter's eye color to brown cause she wants to know what she would have looked like with her eye color instead of her husband's if anyone has any tutorial's for Adobe Photoshop 7.0 I could follow I'd very much appreciate it. I've tried to follow some I found on google but they were not very clear and the eyes didn't look natural.... okay I'm done rambling lol

Comment

There a many ways to get that effect. One would be to be to use the Image >> Replace Color tool. Use the eyedropper to select the color of the eyes in the photo and then you adjust the "Hue" bar. Also Saturation and Brightness/Contrast, if needed.

Or you do a fill layer on the yes and set it to Color and then choose the appropriate color. Though sometimes this doesn't always work best.

Sometimes a couple different fill layers will do some good work. Like having one set to color and another to color burn with opacity decreased. Or sometimes an exclusion one.

This is one of those types of things that have lots of ways to go about doing it, so for me, I just play around with them to see what gets the best effect.
                            sigpic

Comment

I forgot to come back and reply - but thanks for the tips and answers to my question. I've not tried them yet because my mouse died (I can't do graphics with the touchpad), but they look like they'll be useful.
                              "...they put the spark in me and now all it does is burn."
                              ::My LiveJournal::

Comment

Working...
                              X