Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which ideas will improve this place according to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, things have certainly began moving in here a lot (*thanks for the heads up, Mara!) and I love that people are committed to this section of the forums so much. Personally, I love most of the ideas posted here, with an emphasis on the Friday-throwback-fanart thingy (please insert the appropriate term here ). I think that's a great idea to create a new form of posting art, because as much as I love the challenges and battles, sometimes it's hard to come up with an idea suitable for the current challenges, so something more open, that allows to be a bit free and spontaneous, would be great. I'm not sure whether to go with the very first idea, which was suggesting to only choose some pieces to be published. I realise it would make it an honour itself for the piece and the artist, but I fear that this could also be discouraging for some of the newer members or beginners, because we all know that we have some fantastic artists around here and if the choice of the pieces to be published was completely honest, some pieces/artists might not get chosen repeatedly and again, that can be very discouraging. So I'd really prefer the scheme already mentioned, of people being able to send in their art, all of the pieces would be posted and then we can all hang out, give feedback on whatever pops to our head, get a bit giddy with the party hats () and make it a regular, festive event we can all look forward to.

About the challenges themselves - I'd love it if we could go back to 3+ challenges. I know the reason for reducing their number was the inactivity in these threads, but personally sometimes it's difficult to choose a challenge even with 3 challenges running, because the muse just doesn't want to be constricted and having three options to choose from might make the participation easier. Personally, I voted to make challenges harder, because I like the overall concept of the idea to be pushed a little and it's great when that happens, but I'm not sure how to go around ensuring that that actually happens. A lot of us feel that challenge ideas along the lines of "make something connected with summer/lyrics/books/colour blue" can be too easy, which is true, but we shouldn't ignore the fact that due to the freedom of the requirements, these challenges usually get a lot of entries, because let's be honest- it allows us to enter the challenge easily, because we can use whatever our current obsession is, and just wrap it around the challenge idea. I'm not sure how much would we be gaining, if we focused only on "difficult" challenges. But then again, maybe the members think that this is what we need?
    I think that if we did go back to at least 3 challenges running at a time, maybe 2 of them can be the ones to push us a bit and one can be reserved for easier, more versatile themes? Although I'm not sure how would we/the mods organise it technically. Can we just tell artists that are starting a challenge to make their one easy/hard? Can we maybe specify this when signing up for a challenge, something like "Hi, I want to host a challenge and I want to have a hard/easy one"? Or is this maybe something that should be left up to the artist's judgement, i.e. I've just been given a go-ahead with my challenge, I can see that the ones already running are difficult, so I go with something a bit easier/harder? Or maybe we just generally stick with "guys, let's make them more interesting", we all make a mental note of trying a bit harder with our challenges and we just see where does it go from there?
    Concerning the challenge duration, I think longer time will only bring more entries, so why not. Although 5 weeks seemed like quite an appropriate time for me (it was nice, because then the themes and challenges change quite dynamically and it's easier to keep getting inspired), maybe a 2-month period for a challenge wouldn't be so bad, if we had something else to keep the muses occupied - such as the Fridays idea.
    I also like the idea of changing the awarding system for challenges, especially the requirement for the host to award different aspects and provide feedback. I myself particularly like to give feedback to everyone awarded, but it does happen that the awards-giving ends up with just the awards being posted and I think it would be good to make it a part of the rules to provide at least some form of a feedback, even though it is just "hey, I really liked your font". Hosting a challenge isn't really all that difficult (once we came up with the idea ) and honestly making the awards for it doesn't take up so much extra time either, so I feel it is fair to provide everyone who entered with some feedback, because that's the least we can give back for someone who thought about our idea and went and created a piece of art specifically for us.

What I also like is the Mentor of the month. Making it voluntary, of course, and just having that one person that is there for these kind of questions, because I can imagine that it could be very inspiring to all of us, even the ones who don't need basic advice but still might like to ask a question (such as "your favourite resources" etc.). I know we have threads for resources, and even tutorial threads, but these can change so quickly and dynamically that being able to pop up and discuss something that is on our minds at that particular time would be very useful. Actually, the more I think about it, the more I like it

About the tutorial/beginners/teaching section - that should be made a bigger section with some of these merged together, as Nina mentioned already. I think merging will help with keeping these threads alive and that we should focus the tutorials on themes/techniques, and maybe not so much on individual artists having their own threads. Again, it would keep the section cleaner and also it is always easier to browse tutorials by themes and techniques rather than individual artists.

Alright, I'm going to have a look around, read some more and hopefully come back with some more opinions!
    In the end, we all are who we are, no matter how much we may appear to have changed.

Comment

Originally posted by Destiny View Post
      About the challenges themselves - I'd love it if we could go back to 3+ challenges. I know the reason for reducing their number was the inactivity in these threads, but personally sometimes it's difficult to choose a challenge even with 3 challenges running, because the muse just doesn't want to be constricted and having three options to choose from might make the participation easier. Personally, I voted to make challenges harder, because I like the overall concept of the idea to be pushed a little and it's great when that happens, but I'm not sure how to go around ensuring that that actually happens. A lot of us feel that challenge ideas along the lines of "make something connected with summer/lyrics/books/colour blue" can be too easy, which is true, but we shouldn't ignore the fact that due to the freedom of the requirements, these challenges usually get a lot of entries, because let's be honest- it allows us to enter the challenge easily, because we can use whatever our current obsession is, and just wrap it around the challenge idea. I'm not sure how much would we be gaining, if we focused only on "difficult" challenges. But then again, maybe the members think that this is what we need?

I think that if we did go back to at least 3 challenges running at a time, maybe 2 of them can be the ones to push us a bit and one can be reserved for easier, more versatile themes? Although I'm not sure how would we/the mods organise it technically. Can we just tell artists that are starting a challenge to make their one easy/hard? Can we maybe specify this when signing up for a challenge, something like "Hi, I want to host a challenge and I want to have a hard/easy one"? Or is this maybe something that should be left up to the artist's judgement, i.e. I've just been given a go-ahead with my challenge, I can see that the ones already running are difficult, so I go with something a bit easier/harder? Or maybe we just generally stick with "guys, let's make them more interesting", we all make a mental note of trying a bit harder with our challenges and we just see where does it go from there?
      Concerning the challenge duration, I think longer time will only bring more entries, so why not. Although 5 weeks seemed like quite an appropriate time for me (it was nice, because then the themes and challenges change quite dynamically and it's easier to keep getting inspired), maybe a 2-month period for a challenge wouldn't be so bad, if we had something else to keep the muses occupied - such as the Fridays idea.
      Would it be an idea to offer BOTH in the hosted challenges? Have the first option be hard and challenging, and pushing people out of their comfort zones, but then have a second or third or whatever option that lessens it? I.e. a color challenge, using psychology and blah blah blah for the first option, but the second option would be "use blue and orange together," or a third option could be "use red font." I think this would fly well with the new ideas for the awarding system since there won't necessarily be overall places. And this would let people who aren't motivated by the first stringent requirement to let loose with SOMETHING instead of not entering that challenge at all.

Originally posted by Destiny View Post
      I also like the idea of changing the awarding system for challenges, especially the requirement for the host to award different aspects and provide feedback. I myself particularly like to give feedback to everyone awarded, but it does happen that the awards-giving ends up with just the awards being posted and I think it would be good to make it a part of the rules to provide at least some form of a feedback, even though it is just "hey, I really liked your font". Hosting a challenge isn't really all that difficult (once we came up with the idea ) and honestly making the awards for it doesn't take up so much extra time either, so I feel it is fair to provide everyone who entered with some feedback, because that's the least we can give back for someone who thought about our idea and went and created a piece of art specifically for us.
      Agreed on this front - I do think if you're taking the time to host a challenge, especially with hard requirements, you should give SOME feedback. And by SOME I mean even a few words of nice things vs. a pretty award and no comment, and even better if you go above that.

Comment

I new here and am not familiar with all the posting rules yet - so my apology if I am going against the posting rules -

Regarding the Size Issues - A challenge that requires The Big and The Small of It - the selected theme must be done in both sizes would be a good way to promote the use of different sizes - get people out of that comfort zone.

I also have another project that I would like to propose for the group. Last Christmas season I was looking at Christmas craft sites and so great ideas for doing Advent Calendars - so of course I decided to do The Buffyverse Advent Calendar. It ended up being a lot more work than I had anticipated, but still I was glad that I took on the project.

Would the group here like to do an Advent Calendar? Maybe it could be a Christmas Season Challenge for all members who want to participate. It should be something that is open to all so that it is a fun project.

If this is not the right place to post this sort of thing - SORRY.
        sigpic

Comment

This is the perfect place for ideas like these. And you don't have to be so afraid to post something in these threads. ^^ We're just careful with short and off-topic comments in the threads where people post art but in this corner of the Fanart Section you can talk more freely. There are even two game threads in this section. I wonder if the posts count here in "Fanart Discussions"?

edit: Yes they do count. Hmmmm perhaps that needs to change.

Anyway that are two good ideas. In the past there was a member who did that (posting a new graphic or other goodie every day during advent) but it's been a while. So we can certainly do something like that during christmas time. Last year we did have a gift challenge; everybody made something for another member. If you want to set up something like this feel free to do it; there will be enough members who want to help out. People usually get excited for stuff like that around here. If you don't have much time yourself you can also open a thread in this section (Fanart Discussions), pitch the idea you have and ask who has the time to coördinate it.

Same with the challenge-idea. It's a great idea so you can decide to start a challenge like that yourself or you can pitch the idea in this thread so somebody else can start such a challenge.

Oh and everybody; the mods and admins are working on it. I hope I'll be able to do most of the work in the next week. ^^

Comment

I would be happy to take on the Advent Calendar maybe I could get one other member to help - It's pretty simple, members would sign up for days they wanted. The submissions do not have to be restricted to images, they could be vids, music, a craft project, a story or artwork they wanted to share. My idea was to make it not just a Holiday Season Images, but more like a giving of a gift to others - thus it is not restricted to only an image that would be created for the calendar, but a "something special I want to share" for the Holiday Season.

This is the link for the archive of the Buffytube Advent Calendar - this is a list of the submissions - while it was taking place images were being posted on our home page and we had a home tab with information and links for all the days. I had hoped for more participation by our members, but on Buffytube we don't have a strong graphics membership thus I ended up doing most of the calendar. Usually I would have done a Holiday Season vid but this Advent Calendar took over all my time for creating images.

You should be able to access with this link - http://buffytube.ning.com/page/advent-calendar
            sigpic

Comment

Just thought I'd drop a quick note on to prompt thought again towards the community interaction side of things on here. The month theme didn't really seem to hit off and I personally thought it might have been greatly because it wasn't encouraging interaction just posting individual thoughts. Of course the limited number of people may be the thing but until we try other ideas it is hard to say. Is it worth just trying other things and seeing how they do rather than polling/wondering deeply about what to try? Why don't we just try a continuous chat thread where people are encouraged to come on and post pictures/images/resources that they have seen, share random thoughts/frustrations/ideas and we can just comment on what someone has put on or add something else. It could just be an entirely open/informal chat area with a fanart focus. I appreciate such a wide scope could equally get a tumbleweed response but it might work like associated thoughts and roll from one thing to another pretty naturally. Might be worth a try?

Comment

I'm fine with trying that one out. ^^ Does anyone has a fun title for such a chat thread?

Comment

OK, I have been trying to think of something for ages and have gone through a whole bunch of awful options and have currently got a reduced list of probably not great options - "Once More With Layering - ArtChat", "From the Rabbit Hole - ArtChat" and in a bizarre combination of BtVS and the favoured 1920s global artistic hangout (which apparently included a restaurant called Dingo Bar) - "Dingoes Ate Montparnasse - ArtChat". Or something more normal. I probably should get out now and then.

- - - Updated - - -

EDIT: similar idea - "Grab a cuppa and join our Babbington's Chat" - which tickled me as another place known for artists meeting up (tea room in Rome in case you haven't heard of it, although might have been primarily writers in the good old days, not sure) but they have the cat logo and obviously in french.... Yeah, I know, I'm going out for a bit!!
                  Last edited by Stoney; 15-01-15, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X