Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which ideas will improve this place according to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which ideas will improve this place according to you?

Since the other thread already had a poll; I made a new thread with the poll. There are so many good ideas mentioned by now (they don't fit in one poll; so I combined some options) that I think it's time that we decide what we want for this section. It's a multiple choice poll so you can pick all the ideas you like.

This doesn't mean that you can't come up with new ideas btw; but we've to start somewhere and I think it's good to know which ideas are really popular.

--------------------------
    * Fanart Friday)
    Originally posted by ciderdrinker
    Fandomania does this thing called Fan Art Friday that has a weekly theme and people submit art, but only a few get posted onto the site. That's a win in itself a way.
    http://fandomania.com/category/fan-art-friday/
    *a "General" Challenge)
    Originally posted by Bre
    I do have one thought about a "general" challenge thread - maybe we could post one thread wherein each member challenges the next person, sort of like an open-ended battle. No winners, no requirements save for what the previous member requires (i.e., the entire wall must be blue, or no text, or no blending, etc.). That would be cool! And if multiple people respond, then there will be multiple mini-challenges to respond to. It would sort of be like the fanart discussion threads we had going for a while.
    A section just for beginners with tuts, a Q&A thread and advice.
    9.60%
    The Fanart Section should be more social.
    8.80%
    More focus on fanart that are not wallpapers (in challenges and general art threads).
    8.00%
    Instead of ranking the pieces and awards at the end of a challenge the host only posts feedback.
    1.60%
    A host should award different aspects of fanart.
    6.40%
    Stop the challenges for now and focus on battles.
    0.80%
    Hosts should no longer make awards for everybody.
    3.20%
    "My Art" threads
    2.40%
    Fan Art Friday (*see OP)
    4.80%
    Throwback Challenges (a challenge that just reuses the idea of a previously done challenge?)
    5.60%
    It should be easier to host a challenge or start a battle.
    4.00%
    A challenge should be a real challenge again and not just a theme.
    6.40%
    More focus on the teaching element of the Fanart Section. (More tuts, more feedback)
    9.60%
    Have a competitive round maybe every 3 months and make them on a Free Form basis.
    4.00%
    Bring back the "feedback requirement" for the general fanart threads.
    3.20%
    A "general" challenge. (*see OP)
    4.00%
    Fanartists should mention things they would like to have feedback on.
    5.60%
    A beginner-only thread/challenge
    3.20%
    Challenges should run longer (but we should go back to 3+ challenges running at the same time.)
    8.80%
    I like it the way it is; please don't change anything.
    0.00%

Thanks for doing this Nina, I was going to do something similar myself but you beat me to it.

After all the ideas that have been put forward, it's great to see them all together and what people want, rather than people (i.e. mostly me) just voicing opinions on how things could be improved. That's what this community is all about, yay!

sigpic

Peter Capaldi is the 12th Doctor

Comment

A challenge should be a real challenge again and not just a theme.
      Hmm. What does this mean? That there should be more challenges based on techniques?

I kinda like the "Fanart Friday" idea. Although, every Friday seems like a lot of work. How about Fanart Friday once a month? And instead of submitting art to the moderators to judge, how about making Fanart Friday a more sociable event? With feedback? And possibly drinking? (Maybe even games and festive hats? ) Anyone can enter a piece (and what kind of feedback they would like. Submissions can be done before Friday, a post made Friday morning with all the pieces and then anyone can come into the thread can give feedback (no matter how small) and hang out.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

That sounds good; I've been thinking about this whole "Making the section more social" and couldn't really think of anything else but a big chat thread. Making it an event every month could be really fun if it's popular.

About the challenges needing to be challenges again and not just themes; I did read that as making the challenges harder again. People are afraid to scare people away with difficult requirements which means that many challenges end up like: "make something that is related to BtVS" or "make something with a song of a certain album/artist". It doesn't challenge anyone; nobody needs to step outside their comfortzone. It's more a prompt than a challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by Nina View Post
          That sounds good; I've been thinking about this whole "Making the section more social" and couldn't really think of anything else but a big chat thread. Making it an event every month could be really fun if it's popular.

About the challenges needing to be challenges again and not just themes; I did read that as making the challenges harder again. People are afraid to scare people away with difficult requirements which means that many challenges end up like: "make something that is related to BtVS" or "make something with a song of a certain album/artist". It doesn't challenge anyone; nobody needs to step outside their comfortzone. It's more a prompt than a challenge.
          Okay, this makes sense. I didn't understand most of the challenges were like this now. There have always been challenges like this so I was confused. But I can understand that if all challenges are simple then it can be uninspiring.

Glad you think the social Fanart Friday seems promising. I can work up some plans for it.

Also since there is already significant poll interest in the Beginners Section, Teaching Element, and Feedback, I think those three would fit well into one section. That way beginners wont be segregated and older members will have reason to drift in.

Also, what about having a Mentor of the Month? Members could ask questions of the Mentor like when they first got started, their favorite resources, what music they listen to while arting, etc? (We could have a small list of questions and then the rest be asked in the thread). And the Mentor would try to give feedback in whatever feedback thread we have, especially to any beginners. That way the forum always has at least one person who is giving some feedback. Obviously Mentor of the Month would be a volunteer thing where people can sign up.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

Originally posted by Ehlwyen View Post
            Glad you think the social Fanart Friday seems promising. I can work up some plans for it.
            I sincerely love this idea (especially the drinking part because in my book fanart and wine are best friends).

Also, what about having a Mentor of the Month? Members could ask questions of the Mentor like when they first got started, their favorite resources, what music they listen to while arting, etc? (We could have a small list of questions and then the rest be asked in the thread). And the Mentor would try to give feedback in whatever feedback thread we have, especially to any beginners. That way the forum always has at least one person who is giving some feedback. Obviously Mentor of the Month would be a volunteer thing where people can sign up.
            I LOVE this idea! And it would be neat to highlight that person and their art, their techniques. I also think this would be a good idea to help showcase how differently we all view fanart: what the Mentor focuses on in their art, what they see in other people's, etc.

Comment

I'd suggested someone came over and had a look here that was posting hand-drawn work on another forum. They weren't keen on sharing their art in such a coverall thread (the hand-drawn thread including crafts etc) and I think tends to prefer to create a thread for their own work. Is there a reason why we don't allow the option for people to create a thread linking just their own work?

Comment

I can understand someone wanting a thread of their own for handdrawn art. I might not be opposed to it if a person posts prolifically or does serialized art like story comic. Our handdrawn threads have never gotten a lot of posts. Maybe once we sort out these other art sections changes an option will present itself.

One reason for the combined threads is that it keeps fewer threads more active. There arent a bunch of threads dead for weeks. Also, it is easier to browse one thread of similarily themed art than to click many threads of art. Therefore more members get their art seen. It increases the community for beginners and advanced to be in the same thread seeing each other's art. There is a tendency of goodwill to review and comment the art already posted when you are posting new art. So it increases the likelihood of feedback and getting to understand the other artists. Fanartists are notoriously shy. It seems less committal to make your own thread. But I think joining in the communal threads provides a quicker feeling of acceptance.

I have noticed amongst these suggestions for the section, many people have said we have too many threads. If we let people do "my art" threads, there will be many more threads. And "my art" threads has only gotten one vote in the poll. So I dont see our overall format changing.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

All of these are great ideas. Everything I've thought of, someone else has already brought up, so for now I'll just sit back and "listen".

Comment

Allright I doubt many more will vote. If they want to that's perfectly possible of course. But I want to start.

The next ideas are popular with the majority of the voters:
                    • The Fanart Section should be more social.
                    • More focus on the teaching element of the Fanart Section. (More tuts, more feedback)
                    • Challenges should run longer (but we should go back to 3+ challenges running at the same time.)

• A section just for beginners with tuts, a Q&A thread and advice.
                    • More focus on fanart that are not wallpapers (in challenges and general art threads).

• A host should award different aspects of fanart.
                    • A challenge should be a real challenge again and not just a theme.
                    • Fanartists should mention things they would like to have feedback on.

Ehlwyen did already suggest to merge the teaching elements like tuts and feedback with the 'Beginners Section' idea. Sounds like a good idea to me. So instead of the current Tutorial Section a section with Tutorials, Q&A threads, Tips, Feedback threads (we've two already in the general section I believe), the threads with the resources etc. And I would like it if everybody is free to post in that section. Which means that everybody can open their own Tutorial thread without permission of a mod as well. If something goes horribly wrong (people reposting tuts of others by example) a mod or admin can always step in.

The three ideas for challenges can be translated to new rules for challenges. Instead of the current four or five weeks the challenges should end (roughly) two months after the thread was opened. And mods will have to make sure that there are enough challenges running. And after the deadline the host shouldn't just pick their five favorite wallpapers but (depending on the amount of entries) award different aspects of fanart. The host will be free in which aspects they want to award but you can think about awards for typography, coloring or composition. Or you can award the entry that fits the challenge best, the entry with the most creative idea and the fanartist who delivered some of their best work (in contrast to the ones who stayed in their comfort zone). Another idea is to make the challenges harder again; which doesn't mean that you have to start an impossible and super unique challenge. But try to push people out of their comfort zones with your challenge. If you can't think of anything you can always browse through the dead threads and borrow an idea. We had so many challenges; pick a challenge you want to bring back. And try to give some feedback; people like to know why they were not awarded or why they were. You don't have to write huge alineas just one or two lines with some pointers already halp a lot. Awards remain optional of course.

Talking about feedback; many of you voted for fanartists mentioning what they want feedback on. I don't think that somebody who enters a challenge should be forced to point out what they don't like about their own entry so I would be in favor of making it optional for the challenge threads. In the general fanart threads (and the battle threads?) this could be a requirement for posting art; same for the "I want feedback"/"I'm stuck, help me!" threads.

It's getting complex when we try to bring more focus on fanart that are not wallpapers (in challenges and general art threads). We can start a general fanart thread for non-wallpaper so people feel more free to post those. (Although I'm not sure if it's needed because the amounts of Tumblr graphics in the general threads are growing.) But we can't force a host to run a non-wallpaper challenge. We can start two lists (one wallpaper/wallscroll list and one smaller graphics list)?

And making the section more social is another big favorite. Some of the suggestions made by people are:
                    • A chat thread
                    • Threads where fanartists can discuss (new) techniques and styles they've seen
                    • A monthly event where there is a theme and people send in art. And in a less formal way all the members can feedback and talk about the wallpapers. A bit chat thread meets feedback thread.
                    • Mentor/Fanartist of the month

When people make sure there are credits posted we can also make more threads to discuss art and/or resources made by non-BF Fanartists.

Anyway; let us know what you think about these ideas. Do you have ideas for a more social Fanart Section? A good idea how we can get the right balance between wallpapers and other graphics in challenges? Is there something you don't like? Please post it here. Most of these are just my suggestions based on the ideas with the most votes.

Comment

Ehlwyen did already suggest to merge the teaching elements like tuts and feedback with the 'Beginners Section' idea. Sounds like a good idea to me. So instead of the current Tutorial Section a section with Tutorials, Q&A threads, Tips, Feedback threads (we've two already in the general section I believe), the threads with the resources etc. And I would like it if everybody is free to post in that section. Which means that everybody can open their own Tutorial thread without permission of a mod as well. If something goes horribly wrong (people reposting tuts of others by example) a mod or admin can always step in.
                      I agree with being able to open your own tutorial thread, but I'm worried about having loads of threads with just one tutorial in a thread, would that be ok? Maybe we could have threads for level of difficulty or different techniques instead of "artist" threads? Just a thought.

It's getting complex when we try to bring more focus on fanart that are not wallpapers (in challenges and general art threads). We can start a general fanart thread for non-wallpaper so people feel more free to post those. (Although I'm not sure if it's needed because the amounts of Tumblr graphics in the general threads are growing.) But we can't force a host to run a non-wallpaper challenge. We can start two lists (one wallpaper/wallscroll list and one smaller graphics list)?
                      I don't know whether I'm being a little blinkered here, but why do we need to differentiate between sizes? For me personally I never specify the size in a challenge and really appreciate it when people do something different. I realise that people have different preferences, but can't that just be in the challenge rules, why would we need a separate challenge?

Other than that I love all the new ideas and can't wait to see them all in place.

Loraine
                      sigpic

Peter Capaldi is the 12th Doctor

Comment

Originally posted by ciderdrinker View Post
                        I agree with being able to open your own tutorial thread, but I'm worried about having loads of threads with just one tutorial in a thread, would that be ok? Maybe we could have threads for level of difficulty or different techniques instead of "artist" threads? Just a thought.
                        That's indeed a good idea. Although these shouldn't be there instead of the "artist" threads (IMO) but I think they could be there for people who don't want their own thread or who don't plan to post more tuts than one or two. My hope is that people will write several tutorials when they have their own thread while it's possible that a general thread won't have the same effect. Also when a host goes offline and takes all it's pictures with it; it's easier to move a thread to the "Dead Threads" and nobody had to browse through 'dead' tutorials until they find one that is still online.

I don't know whether I'm being a little blinkered here, but why do we need to differentiate between sizes? For me personally I never specify the size in a challenge and really appreciate it when people do something different. I realise that people have different preferences, but can't that just be in the challenge rules, why would we need a separate challenge?
                        Well there are a lot of votes in favor of wanting to focus more on other sizes so I thought that we should do something extra. In General Threads it's going quite well but in challenges people rarely post non-wallpapers. No idea why (since it's allowed in most challenges) but my guess is that people feel a bit guilty when they send in a 500x700 graphic instead of the wallpapers which are (in general) more work. While the size is no longer a requirement most people still consider these challenges wallpaper challenges and almost all entries are wallpapers. Challenges with a focus on smaller graphics are a more positive 'environment' to post these smaller graphics (it's easier to judge as well).

Comment

Originally posted by ciderdrinker View Post
                          I think that's a great idea.

Is there anyone who is planning to provide tutorials that would prefer to post their tutorials in their own thread?

Nina has a good point about image links going dead. Perhaps we could come up with a cental place to upload tutorial images or at least have the mods save the images in case they ever go dead?

Other than that I love all the new ideas and can't wait to see them all in place.

Loraine
                          I agree. There is no need for separate threads for different sizes than wallpapers. General threads already allow all sizes so there is no need to change this. What is needed is people who do other sized art to post in those threads. I think creating separate threads just creates an imaginary divide between wallpapers and other sizes.

I do think that if some challenges forced people to use a different size than wallpaper then that could be an interesting requirement.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

I think that's a great idea.
                            Is there anyone who is planning to provide tutorials that would prefer to post their tutorials in their own thread?
                            Nina has a good point about image links going dead. Perhaps we could come up with a cental place to upload tutorial images or at least have the mods save the images in case they ever go dead?
                            Perhaps BF (or the admins and the mods together) can get themselves a free Dropbox or Onedrive acount? And store all the images there? Otherwise we're dependent on a mod and their computer. Computers can crash and mods can take some time off because of RL-issues. So it's better when all the mods and admins can get the pictures.

About the seperate threads; I'm perfectly okay with that and I've no need of my own thread. It's just that in the past an own thread was obviously something you had to earn so I figured that this was something people really wanted. Loraine's idea makes for a better structured section (if the pictures all work at least otherwise it will be the Detroit of BF threads). On the other side; it can't be much worse than how it looks now. But in that case I would like to merge the still working tutorials in the new threads and get rid of the "Fanart elite" thing where some have their own thread and all the others have to post in general threads.

I agree. There is no need for separate threads for different sizes than wallpapers. General threads already allow all sizes so there is no need to change this. What is needed is people who do other sized art to post in those threads. I think creating separate threads just creates an imaginary divide between wallpapers and other sizes.
                            There is already a lot of Tumblr-art/smaller art in there because buffylover, Firecracker, cil_domney and Zugma share their smaller (often Tumblr-sized) creations with us in those threads.

I do think that if some challenges forced people to use a different size than wallpaper then that could be an interesting requirement.
                            I do think it needs to be regulated in some way. There is a reason 8 people did vote for more non-wallpaper fanart. In general most challenges and all battles allow it but it doesn't happen. In the past we had a movie-poster challenge and a book-cover challenge but those are extremely rare despite everyone being allowed to start such challenges. And I'm a bit afraid that it will perhaps happen once or twice in the next months but stop happening after a while.

I'm also open for other ideas instead of the challenge-idea but I don't think we can just ignore the 8 people who want more non-wallpaper fanart.

Comment

*evil double-post!*

Just want to say that people who want something different than the current plans should post here and let us know. Preferably before the weekend so we can stop talking and actually do something.

Current plans:

The Tutorial Section will be a bigger section with advice, requests, feedback and tutorials.
                              Fanartists will no longer have their own thread with tutorials. The tutorials will be posted in general tutorial threads. (This means that the current threads will either go to "Dead Threads" or they will be merged with the new threads.)
                              Everybody can post and start threads in that section.

The section we're in now, the discussion section, will be the place where you can chat with the other fanartists and lurkers about the section, fanart and other stuff.

Challenges will run for a longer amount of time (2 months).
                              We will go back to 3+ challenges (depending on the list).
                              Try to make the challenge a bit hard; get the people out of their comfort zone!
                              Hosts will have to give feedback (awards are still optional).
                              Hosts should rank/award wallpapers based on different aspects of fanart (which - and how many aspects is up to the host).
                              There will be challenges for fanart that are not wallpapers and the mods will regulate that to make sure they happen more often.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something else: most people didn't vote for making it easier to start a challenge or battle. But is somebody against less rules for starting a battle? At the moment you need permission to start one and you can only do one at the time. But it's quiet on the battlefield so I was wondering if we could get rid of those rules. (And perhaps also the "every week a new round" rule because that is probably the most ignored rule on this board. And without a waiting list it's not really needed to finish a battle quickly.)

Comment

Working...
                              X