Tick Tick Tock - Fanartist Community Hangout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slaycandy View Post
    Q: How many WIPs do you have just now? Are any ones you will bin/keep on hold for some time or will you complete them all?
    I so very rarely keep anything as a WIP. If I'm not satisfied with something, then I scrap it and start over, and I rarely sit down when I know I don't have the time to finish a wallpaper (even if it's hours and hours into it, I WILL FINISH IT). Sometimes when I'm really frustrated with a piece, I'll keep it and I think that's been maybe five over the last few years, at the most and I have a 'What the ****ery' file on my computer for those. And then I go back and think, "What the hell was I even thinking? Where was I going with this? Why did I use that color? This is bad, all bad." Last night I saved a Destiel one, only because I liked what I did with Castiel and might use that in a future wallpaper. But no, I rarely save WIPs so... one, I guess, is the answer.

I really think I'm going to repeat a question and I'm sorry! But yay, thanks to SJ for getting these active again!

What's the most number of screencaps you've put into a wallpaper (i.e. an episodic scene, etc)?

Comment

Wow, Bre! I'm with SJ on that. I must have 100+ WIPs. Some I will never finish but there are occasions that I pull up one I started 2 years ago or something and I am able to salvage something from it.

Originally posted by Bre View Post
      What's the most number of screencaps you've put into a wallpaper (i.e. an episodic scene, etc)?
      This is me so you know it's a lot. Though maybe not as many as you may think, if that makes sense. Anyway, it's probably around 25-30. Though often times I use scene caps or portions of caps that don't have a person or object in them and use them as framing devices and such.

Do you have a favorite color scheme you seem to gravitate towards?
      sigpic
      follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

Originally posted by Jenni Lou View Post
        Do you have a favorite color scheme you seem to gravitate towards?
        Hmmm.... I usually use black backgrounds with bright colored gradients on my art. Does that count? LOL

I don't know that I have a favorite color scheme. I do tend to favor blues a lot, though... I think for me it depends on the fandom. For Buffy pieces, I'm all about pops of bright vivid color, but for The Walking Dead, for example, everything is much darker and more subdued in color.

Do you tend to favor using females or males in your art, or do you think there is an even balance?

Comment

Originally posted by HisMRS View Post
          Do you tend to favor using females or males in your art, or do you think there is an even balance?
          Definitely towards the females. Especially with any actor pieces. I think I just find them better to work with, more attractive and interesting and more versatile in my approach to the design. Even with character pieces, I tend toward females. FEMALE POWER (or something like that).

What genre of stocks do you typically stick to? Nature, objects, buildings, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Bre View Post
            What genre of stocks do you typically stick to? Nature, objects, buildings, etc.
            Hmmm both nature and buildings, especially walls. But I do suspect that I use slightly more nature stocks... but I'm not sure. I often use stocks of walls as a texture as well.

Are you introduced to photoshop by somebody or is it something you completely started and figured out yourself?

Comment

Originally posted by Nina View Post

Are you introduced to photoshop by somebody or is it something you completely started and figured out yourself?
              I figured it out on my own truth tutorials mostly

How do you use textures? Is it something that you place in the wall to make it pretty or are textures more like symbols you use to show a theme/emotion?
              Awesome Icon/Banner made by Bre
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mara View Post

How do you use textures? Is it something that you place in the wall to make it pretty or are textures more like symbols you use to show a theme/emotion?
                I mostly try to choose things that add to the beauty of the piece, but sometimes I choose things that represent emotion or the feel I want for the piece.

What would you say your biggest inspiration for fanart is?

Comment

Originally posted by HisMRS View Post

What would you say your biggest inspiration for fanart is?
                  I think a combination either a storyline/character that I love and root for or the way a scene/series is shot like for example Hannibal is shot beautifully with a color combination that I love and lots of great panoramic shots

What is your favorite work of art that you draw inspiration from?
                  sigpic

Comment

What is your favorite work of art that you draw inspiration from?
                    Hmmm not sure if it's my favorite but I love "Philosopher in Meditation" by Rembrandt because of both the composition and the of course the lighting.

What program do you use for your digital artwork?

Comment

Hmmm not sure if it's my favorite but I love "Philosopher in Meditation" by Rembrandt because of both the composition and the of course the lighting.

What program do you use for your digital artwork?
                      I use a very old very old version of photoshop

What do you prefer when coloring? Layers or gradient map?
                      I used layers for years but now I think I might be switching to gradient maps
                      sigpic

Comment

What do you prefer when coloring? Layers or gradient map?
                        I used layers for years but now I think I might be switching to gradient maps
                        Gradient maps have been a staple of mine for years. But I use lots of other methods too. Color Balance, Selective Color, Levels, Hue/Saturation, Photo Filter, Color Fills, etc. And I sometimes use stocks as overlays as well. You can get some cool coloring playing around with them. I don't have a standard go-to anymore. After I start a piece I decide how to best approach coloring. Like, if there is too much yellow, I might start with a Selective Color layer to decrease or change the yellows.

What is your #1 BIGGEST vice when it comes to fanart? What's your crutch? What technique can you not help yourself from using time and time again?
                        sigpic
                        follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

Originally posted by Jenni Lou View Post
                          What is your #1 BIGGEST vice when it comes to fanart? What's your crutch? What technique can you not help yourself from using time and time again?
                          oh god this has got to be the most blatant way of getting to 400 posts ever in the history of this forums but yey 400 posts...

I don't have a vice as much as I just forger all the things you can do with Photoshop so I often just repeat all the same steps I guess my biggest crutch would be to always set everything on lighten instead of actually puttign time and effort into blending

What is your strongest point? the thing you think you are best at when making a wall?
                          sigpic

Comment

What is your strongest point? the thing you think you are best at when making a wall?
                            Such a hard question, but I'm obsessed with the quality of pictures and the final product. Grainy and unclear pictures in wallpapers bother me. Even worse I hate those circles (halos/aureoles?) that are the result of blending with a very soft brush or if you work on the lighting with a soft round brush. That's why I use so many textures by Krakograff, those hide these circles. I'm such a sad person.

What is something you always used to do while making stuff in photoshop in the past, but stopped doing recently?

Comment

What is something you always used to do while making stuff in photoshop in the past, but stopped doing recently?
                              Depends on what you call "recently", but for years all I used was screencaps because I've always been more interested in doing episodic work, and then I discovered promo stills, which allowed me to keep doing episodic but in high quality which is something, just like you, that I'm obessessed with now.

What scene/moment you've always been obssessed to art but failed to do so far?
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post

What scene/moment you've always been obssessed to art but failed to do so far?
                                Hmmm... I LOVE the "Close Your Eyes" scene at the end of "Becoming pt 2" in BtVS, but I can never art the scene the way I want to properly do it justice, for me.

How has your fanart changed for the better?

Comment

Working...
                                X