Challenge: The End of a Decade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Challenge: The End of a Decade

We're nearly at the end of the 10's. Let's celebrate the last ten years with art. It doesn't matter if you pick a story, movie, game, episode, character, RL-stuff or anything else.
    And you can make anything you want. The only rule is that it should be about something that happened, aired, released or was published in the last ten years.

There won't be a deadline, so it doesn't have to be finished before 1-1-2020.

Have fun and hopefully the last days of this decade will be wonderful

Entry 1: Netflix-The Crown

One of the major changes this decade is the way I watch movies and tv shows. No more waiting a whole week for a new episode, great quality and being limited to whatever Netflix buys or makes. So I wanted to do something with Netflix and ended up with one of my favourite shows made by them: The Crown. The writing isn't that great, but it looks amazing. And the casting is very well done. First I wanted to make a drawing, but prince Charles looked a bit special and I couldn't get it right. Then I did some desperate attempts to make a picspam but never managed to finish one panel. Long story short, I made a wallpaper based on this quote:

"While you mourn your father, you must also mourn someone else. Elizabeth Mountbatten. For she has now been replaced by another person, Elizabeth Regina. The two Elizabeths will frequently be in conflict with one another. The fact is, the Crown must win. Must always win."

Click on the thumbnail for the wallpaper:

Resources:
    Daydreaming, Mondain, Fox in Shadow & somebody with the interesting name: Angelus2hot.

Comment

Daniel Craig took over Bond in 2006, so he's been the Bond throughout the last decade and he has overtaken Sean Connery as the Bond in my opinion.

Image from WallpapersExpert.com

Comment

I'm going to give a shout out to Supernatural. 15 season's running 2005 to 2020 is pretty impactful. Sam and Dean Winchester have left a mark on TV.

“I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

Comment

Hey guys, how are you all?
          We're four and half +- months into 2020, so that must be a good time to enter to the end of the decade challenge.

When approaching this challenge, I had to think what made me really happy the last decade and it was mere seconds before I had the answer.

It was mid-2013, I had almost died from gallbladder infection and lying in the hospital with nothing but antibiotics going into my systems for a few days when I looked up randomly Veronica Mars on google, a show that ended in 2007. Any talks of a continuation were shut down in 2010. First result: Kickstarter campaign for the Veronica Mars Movie, cosigned by Kristen Bell and Rob Thomas.

The fandom was revived and with the first sneak-peak came this inner monologue from my favourite TV character:
          “In a lesser known epic poem, Dante’s Inferno 2: ‘Hell Freezes Over’, ten years after escaping the nine circles, Dante returns. You know, for old times’ sake. Have a couple shots, catch up with the gang [. . .] See if Lucifer is still a bitch.”

WATCH HERE: https://youtu.be/rsBfrU6ML_I?t=40

I am pretty sure nothing got me as excited as seeing this.

So, in honour of that:

I would love feedback on this. I'm kind of rusty on my typography and placement. Help a fella out.
          Attached Files

Click for art and tomfooleries

Comment

Very nice! I haven't watched Veronica Mars, so I don't know who these ladies are, but the whole thing just looks visually pleasing to me. I love the colours and the geometric shapes of the tiles in the background. The font you used fits well with this, but my only slight criticism is that there is a lot of the same font, just with some variations in size and spacing. Maybe one of the lines or even only a few words could have been in a different font, just to break it up a bit. On the other hand, maybe that would make it look too busy

Also thank you for reminding us of this challenge. To be honest, I had forgotten about it!
            https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

Comment

• Josh
              Josh commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Double Dutchess View Post
              Very nice! I haven't watched Veronica Mars, so I don't know who these ladies are, but the whole thing just looks visually pleasing to me. I love the colours and the geometric shapes of the tiles in the background. The font you used fits well with this, but my only slight criticism is that there is a lot of the same font, just with some variations in size and spacing. Maybe one of the lines or even only a few words could have been in a different font, just to break it up a bit. On the other hand, maybe that would make it look too busy

Also thank you for reminding us of this challenge. To be honest, I had forgotten about it!
              I agree! I had a hard time with the fonts and word placement, I ended up going for the least displeasing way option. Thanks for the feedback!

I also don't know Veronica Mars but I love the colours and the pattern in this. I think the circle pulling focus onto the characters and providing a soft contrast to the other lines around them is also a really clever touch. I think if I was going to play/tweak about with anything it might be to bring a texture or a shadowing of the pattern into the blue font area. Continuing some lines into it perhaps or something else to tie it other than colour. It feels a bit too starkly distant from the main part of the piece. I agree with DD some variation in the font could help and the pattern could even be drawn into that maybe. I'm not sure what would work best to visually tie them more as it is a busy piece and you'd have to see how different options affected the overall balance. But that colour combination and the strong pattern are really striking.

Comment

• Josh
              Josh commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Stoney View Post
              I also don't know Veronica Mars but I love the colours and the pattern in this. I think the circle pulling focus onto the characters and providing a soft contrast to the other lines around them is also a really clever touch. I think if I was going to play/tweak about with anything it might be to bring a texture or a shadowing of the pattern into the blue font area. Continuing some lines into it perhaps or something else to tie it other than colour. It feels a bit too starkly distant from the main part of the piece. I agree with DD some variation in the font could help and the pattern could even be drawn into that maybe. I'm not sure what would work best to visually tie them more as it is a busy piece and you'd have to see how different options affected the overall balance. But that colour combination and the strong pattern are really striking.
              Thank you for the feedback! I wish I had thought of your suggestion to somehow connect the blue area into the piece. To be honest, I was just trying to half ass and cover the fact that I couldn't find a right way to make the typography work. Your suggestion would have solved some issues I had with the piece. Thank again!
          Working...
          X