Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Challenge 82: Technical - Blending

Challenge 82: Technical - Blending

Welcome to the second technical challenge which we are concentrating on 'blending of images'. The primary challenge is from the inspiration of these two tutorials {here} and {here} I found on daydreaming. I tried to look out for some more tutorials, but sadly had no luck, I only found double exposure stuff I could add those later, but the main challenge is to follow a tutorial that explains the blend and I think the second tutorial of daydreaming is great!

"So please don't forget that the idea for this new style of challenge is to interact more as a community whilst exploring a specific technique or tool together. Feel free to discuss the tool during the challenge. Share any ideas or difficulties, comments or questions, tips or problems, successes or frustrations. Posts are welcome as long as they relate to the technique or tool that is the focus of the challenge." ~ by Stoney!

If you find any tutorials based on the blending that would be great and I would love to see them!

Rules

Interactions and feedback:

Fandoms/Subjects: Anything.

Sizes: Anything bigger than 400x400.

Deadline: 6 weeks

Have FUN!!!!!!

Download.
    Spoiler:
    The brushes I think Daydreaming uses are from {here} and the download link {here} and of course daydreaming's set {here} "clouds"-"masking".

I'm attempting this tutorial today and I've come across my first issue. I downloaded the Cloud Brushes suggested, but my Photoshop doesn't use the same numbers the writer uses, so when she says she'll only use 629 & 407, I have no idea what brushes they actually are. So will that make a vast amount of difference? We shall see

- - - Updated - - -

This is my first attempt. (Images are from Daydreaming) I don't hate it, but I'm not happy with the background behind the left hand image. As the writer says, you need some finesse when getting the copy image in place, and I don't think I have the patience for that.

I do think it's a very simple technique, this I really do appreciate. It just takes a bit more practice.

Comment

Glad I logged in today and saw Priceless post, otherwise I wouldn't even have noticed we have a new challenge. I'm definitely going to try it, as there's a lot I need to learn about blending.

@Priceless: I think your blend looks pretty good, what is it that you don't like about the lefthand background?
      https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

Comment

Priceless I thought you did a damn good job on this!!!!!!!!! You should be really proud!

Comment

@Priceless: I think your blend looks pretty good, what is it that you don't like about the lefthand background?
          I don't like the building behind Buffy, and there is a shadow above her head that may have been the copy image that the writer suggested using to fill in the space above the second image. I was too slapdash, I need to take more time. I also wish I'd copied the original picture compeltely, moved the left hand Buffy down and to the left a bit, so left more room between the two images. Aaarrgghhh the more I look at it, the more bad bits I can pick out

- - - Updated - - -

I really need more practice

Comment

Another attempt at blending lots of images.

Screencaps from http://captoit.sosugary.com/buffyverse/
            Last edited by Priceless; 21-09-19, 12:49 PM.

Comment

In my entry I combined techniques from both tutorials, using 'lighten' for the background layer with Giles and using the clouds brushes as erasers for most of the rest. I always use the eraser a lot, but mostly for making cut-outs using a hard edged basic brush. So using the eraser with the cloud brushes for blending was still a useful new technique for me to learn.

Click here for the full-size (1920x1080) wallpaper

PS: I hope the image didn't come out too dark. I'm not 100% sure I can trust my monitor.
              https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

Comment

I've just been reminded by my calendar about this challenge so I thought I'd bump the thread in case anyone else had forgotten about it. I'll try to grab some time in the next week to pick something to try the tutorial with.

Comment

Another attempt. Think it's a little bit of an improvement . . .

Comment

I'm glad that I at least tried this tutorial.

I really did struggle, but I'm thrilled that I tried it. I do like them but for some reason, it felt that it wasn't who I am in fan art.

I did LOTR! and I find that the screencaps were really hard to blend. There can't take high adjustment settings without pixelating.

The mines.

{here}

Credits;
                    Screencaps; {here}

You shall not pass.

{here}

Credits;
                    Screencaps; {here}

Until next time,

Comment

Great pieces everyone and really varied which is always more interesting.

Pricey, your last piece seems really dark. I'm struggling to see some of the caps. I hope you don't mind, but I thought I'd ask in case you haven't tried adjusting to allow for it (it could always be my monitor settings of course). Have you tried putting adjustment layers over it? Using 'auto' adjustments to brightness, levels and curves can often help with contrast. Or duplicating all your layers and putting the duplicated batch as 'screen' on the layer effect (you'd normally adjusting the opacity to reduce the strength).

As usual I'm lagging. I have a bunch of AtS caps that I need to pick from now. I'm really frustrated that my own DVDs obviously have some screengrabbing block on them. I can't play them on my laptop and take caps so I have to go through uploaded versions online, which just seems ludicrous to me. Anyway, I will hopefully have something tomorrow but it might be the start of next week if I struggle to pick which caps work together (I ended up with waaaay too many for one piece. ).

Comment

Pricey, your last piece seems really dark. I'm struggling to see some of the caps. I hope you don't mind, but I thought I'd ask in case you haven't tried adjusting to allow for it (it could always be my monitor settings of course). Have you tried putting adjustment layers over it? Using 'auto' adjustments to brightness, levels and curves can often help with contrast. Or duplicating all your layers and putting the duplicated batch as 'screen' on the layer effect (you'd normally adjusting the opacity to reduce the strength).
                        Thank you for the feedback Stoney It is dark, and that was sort-of deliberate. I felt my first attempt was too light, when compared to the tutorial, which seemed more shadowy. I was trying to get that shadowy feeling to it, which I think I achieved, but it made it hard to see. I reduced every cap to 30% opacity as suggested, and mainly just left it there. I did 'auto' a lot of things, but I still wanted to keep that shadowy affect.

When you look at the tutorial picture, do you think it's dark?

Comment

I can see what you mean about the shadowy aspect of the tutorial between the blends and I think you have captured that in your third more compared to the other two. The tutorial picture doesn't look dark in the same way to me though. Perhaps because it has heavier areas where the white, blue/green and light orange really come out of the shadowyness of the pics too. The pics seem more bold as well as having the shadows blending between them.

I actually really like your first one the most. I think the use of the larger head shot in the blue (from BY?) is great against your selection of images to the right which really presents as him contemplating and looking back. But I do think you have got the breaks between the images blending smoother in the third.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                            I felt my first attempt was too light, when compared to the tutorial, which seemed more shadowy. I was trying to get that shadowy feeling to it, which I think I achieved, but it made it hard to see. I reduced every cap to 30% opacity as suggested, and mainly just left it there.
                            I've just started this tutorial and I'm not sure that it is picture opacity that the adjustment is meant for, which could explain the difference in the boldness of the tutorial pics against your own. The tutorial says...
                            "I choose two caps to start. And I place them on the canvas and apply layer masks, erasing away parts of them. I want to pause and say that erasing can be very subtle. I rarely erase with the Flow or Opacity set at 100%. In fact, I like to have the Flow (or Opacity should work just as well if you are using an older version of Photohsop) set somewhere between 18-30%. This way is erases part but not all of the images and it allows for the image to fade more naturally rather than just ending abruptly. The only trick to make sure that you keep softly erasing away the harder edges of the caps."

I think she is referring to a brush setting. I didn't know what 'flow' was so I did a google search and it seems to be an alternate to affecting opacity and when it is used on a brush then it affects the control you have over increasing a build up on your brush strokes. I called up the brush panel (window > brush) and under 'transfer' there appears to be an opacity and a flow 'jitter' option. Increasing this seems to bring in gaps to the brush stroke that would soften the effect a bit and then the idea of needing to 'keep softly erasing away the harder edges of the caps' would make sense. It is a bit like putting a grey setting on your brush when erasing in the layer mask so that you are only softly reducing the picture away rather than getting hard edges. I think this is what is meant rather than reducing picture opacity.

I'd really like to hear the opinion of those who are far more practiced and knowledgable in Photoshop, because I could be completely wrong.

Comment

You're probably right Stoney. I just assumed that she meant the opacity of the picture, which does also help with blending. I'll try and have a look at how you reduce the opacity/flow of a brush

Comment

Working...
                              X