Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

No HTML

HTML is turned off for security reasons.

Please do not use html in your posts or messages. If you are copy and pasting something from another website and you are having problems with it showing, then it may have html in it. This could be in the form of a website link or a viewable image or an emoji or a special chacter. I am not sure this is the reason we have errors posting.

Some html code can be simply swapped with our Bulletin Board code by changing the greater than/ less than signs with bracket signs. Other BB code needs to done using the buttons in the advanced post editor.
2 of 2 < >

Home Page

The home page address has changed to: http://buffyforums.net/forums/
Please update your bookmark. Otherwise, the home page does not show you are logged in and/or will not let you type into the log in box in the top right. The link at Buffyforums.net to the forums has not yet been updated. So you will experience the error when you enter the forum through that link.
See more
See less

This section is no longer private

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This section is no longer private

Hi everybody,

thenewbuzwuzz just informed me that our art can be viewed without logging in. This shouldn't be the case and I'm very sorry.
    If you post art here and are bothered by the art being visible for everybody, please let me know and I'll try to contact an admin about it.

Nina

Huh. I figured it was a way to attract new fanartists. Whoops. I don't really mind either way.
    My underachieving self has yet to earn banner privileges.

Comment

I didn't know it was meant to be private. I'm ok with people being able to see my stuff.

Comment

I don't mind either. Generally I assume once I post a piece it's to some degree out of my hands so I don't think this really changes anything. If it does increase the chances of getting more people joining that'd be great.

Comment

I saw this thread. I have changed the fanart forum back to private. I always view the forum logged in so I don’t know if it has been if the section has been open for years because it was to encourage new members or if it’s a recent thing by accident.

I apologize for the confusion of whether the fanart forum is private. I would appreciate hearing opinions on whether people prefer it to be open or private.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

I think I speak for myself alone, but I don't mind it being public seeing as I never had to endure ANY of the art theft some people have. That being said, I'd rather have the entire section private than lose even one artist who potentially might refrain from posting in this section if it's public.

So, IMO, if someone wants to be a part of this community they could always register and join it. Maybe having people register to see the section will have a better effect in attracting them.
            My underachieving self has yet to earn banner privileges.

Comment

I agree with Josh.

Personally, I don't mind. But it would be sad if somebody doesn't want to share their art because they fear theft.

Comment

I'm happy for the site to be open, but I don't think anyone would steal my stuff

Comment

I'm really happy either way as I just don't think you can contain something once it is on the web. Restrict to some degree maybe, but once anyone else has access to it there's only so much you can do I think. Being open might bring people in but being closed might too. You could argue that if we've been open to public viewing for a while it hasn't helped gain fanart contributors and that supports the argument to make it private again.

Comment

I just noticed that the fan art section is private again. Personally I'm sad about that, because now I can no longer see the updates without logging in. No fun from a lurker perspective! Also I wonder if art theft really still is something to worry about these days. But of course, if it makes people feel safer I respect that.
                    https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

Comment

Originally posted by Double Dutchess View Post
                      I just noticed that the fan art section is private again. Personally I'm sad about that, because now I can no longer see the updates without logging in. No fun from a lurker perspective! Also I wonder if art theft really still is something to worry about these days. But of course, if it makes people feel safer I respect that.
                      I'm with you on that. I doubt anything I produce would be 'stolen' and I wouldn't really be that upset if it was. It was nice to think people came her to look at our stuff.

Comment

Rosely came on yesterday and was able to turn on the RSS feed for all the other sections of the forum but not the fanart, presumably because of the privacy setting. It was suggested that we have a poll to see what people think as we are now balancing protecting the art against possibly drawing more interest to the art community and challenges that the RSS notifications could. Perhaps if someone else who understand the pros of how the RSS works could explain we might be better placed to consider the pros/cons a little more. I'm not sure we need a separate thread, although I suppose a new poll going up would draw attention to the discussion.

Comment

In my opinion, I would prefer this side of the forum to become open to the outside community It's more attractive and it could get some new people to join in. But I totally understand if it doesn't.

Btw where is the post about the RSS?
                          Last edited by buffylover; 20-11-19, 11:55 AM.

Comment

This link will jump you to the point where Rosely says she's turned the RSS on but it doesn't work for the fanart.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post
                              Perhaps if someone else who understand the pros of how the RSS works could explain we might be better placed to consider the pros/cons a little more.
                              RSS would let the Sunnydale Herald newsletter more easily and consistently promote art posts and challenge announcements, because the newsletter editors could get notifications when there are new threads/posts in the Fanart subforum, and the links would come to us in the same place where we usually gather most of our links for the newsletter.

Theoretically, it would also let anyone else get such notifications if they set them up on other sites such as Dreamwidth.

Also, regardless of RSS, while the art section is private I haven't been linking to it at all, since anyone from other sites wouldn't be able to see what I linked.

Comment

Working...
                              X