• Show
Clear All

I see it!! that's funny!!
    What if I wanted to break?
    Avatar by the amazing Buffylover
    [COLOR="Navy"] This is who I really am
    Member of the Buffyforums Welcoming Committee

Comment

Guys, before you welcome someone, there are a few clues to if they're a real member or not.

If they're posting in a different area to "welcome posts", chances are it's a spammer- it's not that hard to find the right thread.

You can then look in their profile and on the 'about me' page- if under interests it has the person's name, or a link to a spammy website... then it's spam. What also happens a lot is "Biography: man", LOL.

Anyways, not to sound negative, coz I think it's great that this welcoming committee got made, but I think it undermines it for real members if you can't tell the difference!

Comment

Another thing to add to Vev's stuff, when you look at their profile if under gender they have "undisclosed" don't even bother. Seriously. I can understand people not putting their name's in their profile but to not even bother putting whether or not you're a female/male, chances are they're not sticking around long enough for anyone to find out. So yeah, just another thing to watch out for.
        T _A _T _E _R _S'____ W _O _R _L _D

Proud recipient of the "Vagenis Award of Excellence"

Comment

Originally posted by Veverka View Post
          Anyways, not to sound negative, coz I think it's great that this welcoming committee got made, but I think it undermines it for real members if you can't tell the difference!
          Well said!

Everything Veverka and Holypotatoes just said is a good rule of thumb. The spammers are very clever. They very often post threads that look perfectly innocent, just funny little messages saying hello - but then later they will come back and edit spammy links into those messages or into their sigs. Usually, they are indiscrimminate about where these messages are posted, so if you see one in general forums, you can pretty much guarantee it's a spambot. But sometimes they manage to get one in the right place - there was one here in the welcome forum just yesterday, to which people had started to respond in good faith before we caught and banned it. I'll quote what the spammer had posted because it is very typical of how the spammers structure their posts:
          Hello Friends. I found this site so much interesting and useful. I must say I am really pleased to see such site which sharing good knowledge. I found this forum quiet informative as well interested. Hope to be in touch with many of you.
          The English is poor. The content is repetitive and generic. There is nothing in there even remotely specific to this forum. It's just a placeholder statement to provide the spammer with a toehold into the forum.

The name is generally another dead giveaway and something to look out for.

Comment

Something I've noticed as well is that a lot of genuine members like to say something about themselves and actually mention BtVS or something along those lines in their welcome posts. Like someone might say "I've loved Buffy since I was x years old" or something. I kinda take that as indication to whether or not someone is genuinely interested in what the forum has to offer... Though it's not hugely accurate I find it kinda helps if some post in the Welcome Threads...

Comment

So just out of curiosity.. has anyone "used" the welcoming committee to ask you questions? I have it posted in my sig.. just wondering to see if im a loser.. lol.. Because no one has asked me anything or anything like that. lol. Of course i'll keep it up, just curious!

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa Marie86 View Post
                So just out of curiosity.. has anyone "used" the welcoming committee to ask you questions? I have it posted in my sig.. just wondering to see if im a loser.. lol.. Because no one has asked me anything or anything like that. lol. Of course i'll keep it up, just curious!
                No, noone has actually asked me anything either oh well, at least we're here if anyone ever needs us though

Comment

Sign me up please and thank you!
                  sigpic
                  NOT FADE AWAY

An Angel continuity/crossover with Power Rangers
                  Coming Soon!!

Comment

Thanks Amanda! Your name is added to the list as of now!

Comment

I'll join! :-D bit late, but whatever. maybe we should set up an open question thread in this section?
                      We're kissing the lips of strangers
                      We're hugging whoever next we meet
                      Oh life, I love you to my bones

Buffy Forums Welcoming Committee.

Comment

Thanks Aine! added!

That's actually A good idea I'll mention it to te mods

Comment

So I was just wondering if our Faq section for new members mentions us at all? When I first joined I didn't even notice the Welcome section for like three months! Maybe a mod could edit a little part in about us just to spread the word around more for newbies?

Just a thought, and if it's already been done then super!

Comment

I like this. The first time around I was kind of off putting to me. But not no more but who knows how new people feel, so glad this is here

Comment

Is it too late to sign up? I'd love to help =D I remember how welcoming everyone was when I came the first time, then again when I was MIA. And there was no welcoming committee then either.

Comment

Yeah, There are tons of members who always do their best to welcome other members to the forum whenever they can It is nice to see such active participation You've been added to the list above Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                                X