New Slayer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Slayer

Hello... I'm new around here, but an old (in more ways than one ) fan of Buffy.

I've joined the board as part of returning to the world of Buffy, on a recent wave of nostalgia!

I've been catching up on the Boom! Buffy comics, but this follows my main impetus which is watching the whole TV series right through.. haven't done this for many years...

So, I'm currently up to Season 6, about 5 episodes in...Giles has just come back from England following Buffy's return from being dead...

Question: Before I find out why possibly, as I continue to watch - As Buffy has recently died shouldn't there have been a new slayer come forward? When she died (for a moment) before, we got Kendra, and when Kendra died we got Faith.. what's happened to "a slayer dies means another comes"? In Season 6 Buffy's back after 147 days (more than 4 months), but no new slayer...??

J.

Welcome aboard. I love season 6 - it's a guilty pleasure. The reason that no other slayer was called is that the slayer line now goes through Faith. Buffy died the first time, and Kendra was called. The line now went through Kendra, and when she died Faith was called. Faith would have to die for a new slayer to be called. Buffy is out of the loop.
    Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

Comment

Nice to meet you Mr Pointy. Its always wonderful to have another poster !!

“I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

Comment

Hi and welcome to the board! There are several theories about the slayers. The line could now run through Faith, or a slayer was called we just never saw her in Sunnydale. The season 6 big bads weren't initially big enough to get her there, then the apocalypse and the real big bad happened so quickly, there wasn't time for her to get there.

How are you enjoying season 6? It's my favourite season, but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Comment

Hi Mr. Pointy.

Welcome to BF. Happy to see you posting here, it's great to see some new faces here.

edit:
          I've moved your thread to the section where we welcome new members. I hope that's okay. This way members can say hi to you and I think people are willing to answer your question even if the topic is in here. If you want that I move it back, let me know.

Comment

Welcome

Yeah as others have said, the slayer line is through Faith since Buffy had already passed her power on. I wonder how she kept the power after the first Resurrection, let alone the second, but I guess the demon essence was merged, a part OF her, not just a part IN her.

Comment

Hello All,

Sorry about a delay , in any response from me, I haven't looked at profiles but I expect most of you are in various parts of America, whereas I am in little old England.. I work (at home) 9-5pm... it's 8.15pm here now, I'm typing just after eating evening meal...

Anyway, thanks for the welcome...and thanks for the answer to my slayer point, so the line (at point of Season 6) stays at Faith...good job Buffy came back from the dead then if the world might have had to have relied on Faith in a crisis!

How am I enjoying Season 6? Well, I remember, when the programme was live I felt it started to dip this season, and I can't say that changed a lot in Season 7..there was the feeling, and knowledge at a certain point that the show was coming to an end..sadly....I felt at the time that S5 was a peak...

With S6 I didn't enjoy then, "The Trio", and, I feel similar now....I know I should have a sense of humour about them, but hmmm, they are lame...

Oh and I was never a fan of all that shagging Buffy does with Spike, not out of prudery, just I never favoured "Spuffy"..apologies to those on here that clearly did...

BUT : I will pay attention to S6, and S7, despite what I said above, and look to the highlights more this time round..episode by episode...I've got the whole Willow drama to come of course, oh and Anyanka again...

I'll come with positives as I progress..

Cheers

Jon

Comment

Welcome Mr. Pointy!

The Trio are probably my least favourite villains too -- but I think they were supposed to be lame. I did enjoy Andrew in Season 7 though.

https://www.youtube.com/c/DoubleDutchess

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Pointy View Post
                  Sorry about a delay , in any response from me, I haven't looked at profiles but I expect most of you are in various parts of America, whereas I am in little old England.. I work (at home) 9-5pm... it's 8.15pm here now, I'm typing just after eating evening meal...

How am I enjoying Season 6? Well, I remember, when the programme was live I felt it started to dip this season, and I can't say that changed a lot in Season 7..there was the feeling, and knowledge at a certain point that the show was coming to an end..sadly....I felt at the time that S5 was a peak...

With S6 I didn't enjoy then, "The Trio", and, I feel similar now....I know I should have a sense of humour about them, but hmmm, they are lame...

Oh and I was never a fan of all that shagging Buffy does with Spike, not out of prudery, just I never favoured "Spuffy"..apologies to those on here that clearly did...

BUT : I will pay attention to S6, and S7, despite what I said above, and look to the highlights more this time round..episode by episode...I've got the whole Willow drama to come of course, oh and Anyanka again...
                  I'm a Brit too, but I keep strange hours and can be found on the board on and off through the day and night. There is a fair mix of nationalities on the board as well as a few other Brits. Australian, German, Serbian, Canadian, Dutch, though yes, a good number of Americans too.

I don't think the Trio are there for humour, although that is definitely laced in at points. I think they demonstrate the brutality of self driven perspectives, and definitely provide stark examples of the abuse of power. As do Spike and Willow, and Buffy early on too. But those aspects are there to differing extents with most characters this season. The Trio also fit to the greater focus on trauma and consequences the season covers as well and I think the complexity of what different characters are going through and the sources of their insecurities and behaviours is really fascinating. How sympathetically we respond to different characters can be interesting too.

I understand why some people find the change in tone for S6 difficult, but it's my favourite season and I found the character paths in it, especially the psychology behind the choices they make and their responses to the events of the season, really complex and intriguing. And yes, I'm a fan of Spuffy too. But not without seeing the negativity and mutually abusive aspects, the limitation Spike has inherently when unsouled. A lot of my fondness for them is greatly from the overall story, so in combination to how their relationship and dynamic moves on from the negativity of S6 to something very different in the final season. It'll be really interesting to hear if your thoughts on the season do vary particularly for you in this current rewatch and what aspects you find as highlights in the season.

Our rewatch on the board is about to restart after a static period, but we are at the beginning of S7. Everyone is welcome to join in the rewatch discussions after a review has been posted. The schedule is on the first post of the S7 thread and you are also free of course to revisit the threads for the previous seasons too. The previous season threads are all linked on the first post of the S7 thread. Each season has links for all the different episode reviews under the spoiler on the first post of each thread.

Comment

Hello Double Dutchess,

and thanks again Stoney ...one aspect of difficulty with the Trio is two of them have reason only to be grateful to Buffy... Jonathan not least because of stopping him from committing suicide and for subsequently behaving more friendly towards him, and Warren, for saving him from his over attentive robot girl...so why they must ungratefully give grief to Buffy I can't see yet at the point I'm at... let's see.....and yes I will be looking again at the situation of Spike achieving regaining his soul and his further character transformation as a character, as it comes...

I like Spike as a mate for Buffy, as in a brotherly way (although Xander has always fitted that role I feel).....I appreciate all that Spike does for Buffy but I never saw him as/would accept him as...a "love interest", for her, even with that he did love her massively...I think they got it right in the end, with some decent appreciation/ affection from Buffy, but ultimately an unrequited love for Spike...but I'll look at this again too..

Cheers

Jon

Comment

And that reminds me...when Spike comes back from the dead and features in the Angel series, is he shown to have sought out Buffy, I can't remember...I'll have to watch Angel again at some point...

Ok, on with Buffy S6, Ep 6... Halloween time again..

Comment

• Stoney
                        Stoney commented
                        Editing a comment
                        An episode I came to appreciate far more after the discussion in the S6 rewatch, as it's definitely one of the weakest of the season.

and thanks again Stoney ...one aspect of difficulty with the Trio is two of them have reason only to be grateful to Buffy... Jonathan not least because of stopping him from committing suicide and for subsequently behaving more friendly towards him, and Warren, for saving him from his over attentive robot girl...so why they must ungratefully give grief to Buffy I can't see yet at the point I'm at... let's see.....and yes I will be looking again at the situation of Spike achieving regaining his soul and his further character transformation as a character, as it comes...
                      This I think runs with the impact of trauma still as the personal and social rejections the members of The Trio felt, greatly plays into how they then interact with the world that they have such a deeply held streak of resentment towards. They don't own any responsibility in their social issues or accept that growing up can be tough and suffering unfairly doesn't make them entitled to reparation. They constantly reference how they were rejected and under appreciated, manipulate and bully each other even, and their response to what they expereinced is, morally, more abhorrent than the callous acts they suffered. What they do is coldly premeditated and intentionally devoid of ethical concerns. That someone who has been helped and supported can still fail to see how they have been gifted beyond those who felt nothing to ease the difficulties they experienced, in itself is about self focus and individual experiences. That these people, those in The Trio, have great skills and abilities that they then choose to turn to personal gain and malicious use really underlines how and why power can be corrupted and focus can become too self-orientated and away from acting for the greater good (a repeated theme of S7). As I said before though, we feel different understanding and sympathy for people acting in similar ways, showing similar flaws and why that is is in itself an intriguing element of the differing characters we see the behaviour of through S6.

I like Spike as a mate for Buffy, as in a brotherly way (although Xander has always fitted that role I feel).....I appreciate all that Spike does for Buffy but I never saw him as/would accept him as...a "love interest", for her, even with that he did love her massively...I think they got it right in the end, with some decent appreciation/ affection from Buffy, but ultimately an unrequited love for Spike...but I'll look at this again too..
                      Well there is certainly interpretation within this, but I think one of the most freeing moments for Buffy in S7 was finally being able to say how she felt for Spike without feeling like it had to mean a commitment and 'future' intention, she could just be honest with herself. Although I also don't think she loved him in the way that he meant when he said it, which is why he responded as he did, but I do think that she meant it. Of course the comics then took it further and they did eventually have a healthy romantic relationship. Well, for a time at least; Joss was still involved after all.

And that reminds me...when Spike comes back from the dead and features in the Angel series, is he shown to have sought out Buffy, I can't remember...I'll have to watch Angel again at some point...
                      When he first recorporealised he asked after her straight away. He then found he couldn't leave LA, or the vicinity of W&H I can't remember what the limitation specifically was, but it amounted to the reality that he was stuck there. When he eventually did become corporeal and 'free' he determined to leave but then lost confidence and decided he couldn't. Obviously the truth lies in the agreement with the network that Spike was going to be a character through the series, but 'in verse' understanding can be drawn from his insecurities and fear of rejection and wish to decide his own path. Or, if you don't favour the validity in the relationship, you could always see it as him believing that she didn't mean it finally I suppose. Although that doesn't work so well with the seasons that followed in the comics when he eventually went back and then later stayed.

Comment

Hey Stoney,

Ok, quickly on the Spuffy bits we're talking, you're spot on - Buffy really loved Spike, but without that deep soul commitment kind of love, which he felt for her..so the "I know you don't really love me, but thanks for saying" that Spike says sums it up, in comparison to his feelings for her....I'll eventually pick up on the DH comics..

In Angel when Spike comes back you remind me he was like a ghost for some time ..again you're right, as long as he was shown to want to seek out Buffy firstly, it works that he accepted he couldn't and the "you don't really love me" line in S7 supports him ultimately taking that position... he's an "all or nothing" type of bloke in his passions...

I've watched S6 Eps 6 and 7 and a bit of 8...food for thought/comment for later, but, I'm off to me bed now!

Comment

To me it is more that he feels he won't be good enough, feels sure he isn't good enough and is still adjusting to being souled. He felt he did the right thing in S7 and doesn't know how to follow that, which in great part informs his willingness to go along with the plan at the end of AtS5. He's sacrificing himself again. I think her telling him she loved him right in that moment in S7 makes him more wary perhaps because he didn't die and he needs some time to adjust and find his own footing in who he is now before he feels more confident in going back again.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to hear your thoughts on the S6 eps. Perhaps start a thread in the Buffy section about your rewatch to add comments into as you go along.

Comment

Working...
                          X