Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm not lurking , I'm standing about . It's a whole different vibe .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished my watchthru , loved it . back on my 4:3 DVDs run through an upscaler .

Watching season 1 again as we speak . Think I might do a combined Buffy/Angel run this time .

It's a little bit frustrating because I bought this new television last year , it does mostly everything fine but it does not display any DVD source well . So I've had to keep my old smaller screen as well purely for the DVD player . It's a lovely picture but I'm missing the big screen at the minute , Also having three remotes on the go drives me batshit crazy .

Comment

• TriBel
      TriBel commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL! I bloody hate remotes! I can't whittle it down to anything less than 2. I bought a larger laptop specifically for DVDs but the damned thing doesn't play Blu=ray.

Originally posted by Hunga Munga View Post
    Watching season 1 again as we speak . Think I might do a combined Buffy/Angel run this time .
    I've been watching Angel alongside Buffy S4/S1 onwards since the board rewatch got to that point and have really been loving watching the two together and seeing the coinciding themes. It really increased my love of S6/S3 watching them together. The S7/S4 combination is a little stranger though as, following the air dates, they jump around all over the place to work for the themes and crossovers. It isn't unusual for one to not show for a couple of weeks and the other to have had two or three episodes since. I think they do add to each other thematically still watched in that sequence, but I'm not sure it doesn't adversely affect following/appreciating them as independent stories. I've overtaken the board rewatch (which is still at the start of S7) with another I'm doing with a relative now, but we're watching the two shows together as well. It's only the second time I've watched AtS and I think it possibly benefits AtS still for the S7/S4 combination, but I'm not sure it improves watching S7 of BtVS by combining them on those seasons because of the gaps in between sometimes being bigger. But then I'm a binge watcher so I don't like waiting to see eps.

Comment

I've watched BtVS many times, and AtS twice, but I've never watched them together, so I think I will do that on my next re-watch.

Comment

I've done it various ways ...airing and true chronological order . This is an interesting resource I ve read a few times http://josswhedon.blogspot.com/2012/...ing-order.html

Personally I found if I kept to the proper schedule it was slightly undermining my enjoyment of both shows . So I tend to adopt a hybrid pattern where I run both shows in blocks playing catchup at the crossovers and the season finales . Works for me .

Comment

Originally posted by Hunga Munga View Post
          I've done it various ways ...airing and true chronological order . This is an interesting resource I ve read a few times http://josswhedon.blogspot.com/2012/...ing-order.html

Personally I found if I kept to the proper schedule it was slightly undermining my enjoyment of both shows . So I tend to adopt a hybrid pattern where I run both shows in blocks playing catchup at the crossovers and the season finales . Works for me .
          Thank you for that link, I think that's how I'll try it and see how I go. I'm usually pretty bad with Buffy and end up binge watching, so if I intersperse AtS that will slow me down a bit

Comment

That's an interesting link, I've made a note and will look at it next time I watch through. I've honestly found something to tie between all chronologically consecutive episodes of the two shows all the way through BtVS 4, 5, and 6 just watching them one each every time. At a glance the way they have sometimes matched two eps of one show it just changes which order they are watched, not really the ones that follow each other between the two shows. So, taking S6/3 as an example, you would still see say AtW/Billy, OMWF/Offspring, TR/Quickening, Smashed/Lullaby, Wrecked/Dad, Gone/Birthday, Provider/Doublemeat, WitW/Dead Things, OaFA/Couplet, Loyalty/AYW, Sleep Tight/Hell's Bells, Normal Again/Forgiving, it is just which you watch first might switch here and there. But then it falls a little in placing Double or Nothing and The Price before Entropy. The progression to where they have gotten to in Seeing Red and the significance of the past on the present in The Price work well together, but that way you would have Entropy and A New World before Seeing Red. But there are a lot of common themes present so it's totally possible slight shifts in sequence probably still bear fruit, so to speak, just different ones possibly.

Just watching an episode each time really wouldn't work for 7&4 though, not just to tie the crossovers, but to meet big points of thematic ties within them I think. Unsurprisingly, at a glance, that suggested order meets those I've noticed following the air dates too. I just feel like I have lost the story of BtVS a little in watching it with these gaps this time to tie the two shows. I don't feel as engaged with the characters and what they are going through as much as I have before because of the breaks in the flow sometimes meaning there are a couple of weeks between eps. I really have enjoyed watching the two shows together overall though and I think I'll do it again the next time I watch BtVS through. But I'll probably just watch in quicker succession when I get to S7/4 rather than watching two eps once a week, like I have been with my relative.

Comment

I quite like what I call Buffy+ too , where you cherry pick what Angel crossovers you fancy ...and finish with season 5 . That way you can skip whatever you find annoying . A good way to focus in on favoured characters too . Been meaning to do a 'WesleyWatch' for years .

My 'problem' with Angel is I don't like the 'big' story arcs that much .I love a good apocalypse ...but Darla, Holzt, Connor , 'dark' Angel and others , were all big arcs I could have lived without . Episode by episode , I still love the show . It's just the big picture can be a bit bleak .

Comment

• Stoney
                Stoney commented
                Editing a comment
                It is bleak but I'm a total stickler for watching chronologically, I know a lot of people like to dip in and out for favourite bits but it is the entire paths for the characters across both shows that I love the most, so I don't skip anything. Even the bits I'm tempted to.

• Hunga Munga
                Hunga Munga commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah I can't cherry pick individual beloved episodes to watch willy-nilly like some fans either . I get to watch my favourites once per viewing . This is probably where my Wesleywatch falls down . The notion of starting in season 3 is alien to me . I used to skip Restless a fair bit though .
            Working...
            X