Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm not lurking , I'm standing about . It's a whole different vibe .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not lurking , I'm standing about . It's a whole different vibe .

Heya I'm Munga , some of you may know me from Buffy Boards ,

I'm just a crazy middle age bloke who lives in deepest rural Wales . I am mad for Buffy ....but only in the last 5 or 6 years , I've always loved Whedon but I grossly underrated BTVS at the time of airing .

In my defense , the TVs sucked, video sucked and I was in trouble with the Law for much of season 3 and 4 . The internet was slow to get out here too . Never picked up the thread of Buffy again until a drunken conversation in a local pub made me rent the DVDs. Been obsessed ever since .

Not really been much of a media guy last 20 years . However after a year or so on Buffy Boards , it became obvious that I would have to watch a load of titles to get a broader perspective of BTVS and Angel . So, last couple of years I've been working through the likely suspects .

Enjoyed Grimm , Teen Wolf, Wynona Earp , IZombie and others . Been a good experience but for me , Buffy is still head and shoulders above all of them .

At the moment I'm watching Buffy on Amazon Prime . Took a month trial at Christmas and haven't switched it off yet . I m knee deep in season 5 at the moment , just about to watch 'Fool For Love' . Will almost certainly switch back to DVD when I 'm finished with 7 on Prime , watch Angel season 5 , then rollover straight back to 'Welcome to the Hellmouth' in 4:3 .
    Last edited by Hunga Munga; 03-02-20, 02:22 PM.

Nice to meet you. Welcome!

“I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

Comment

Hello Hunga Munga, welcome to the forum. You might notice we are having some technical difficulties at the moment, but we are working around them This is not the easiest place to navigate, so feel to ask questions and just jump in.

Do you have a favourite character, season, arc? Are you a shipper?

Comment

Hey Hunga Munga,

it's good to see you here! we actually have quite a lot of fans from the U.K. here. I am from Germany myself and have com quite late to the fandom. I watched the show for the first time in 2017 and I have been hooked ever since.

flow
        ................................ Banner by buffylover

Comment

There isn't much I don't love about the Buffyverse . Unlike many , I hold season 7 and season 1 in very high regard .

I really love the weapons and the martial arts , the comedy and the dialogue writing . I read Buffy as a very dark show , much darker than most fans . Even when Buffy and the gang are at their cutest , I never forget the central premise of constant battle and sacrifice in the darkness.

I don't ship , but natch I have my favourite couples . Really I'm a bit 'free love' when it comes to BTVS . Every damn one of the Scoobs walk in the shadow of death just to get milk for their cereal ...and that's on a slow day . So any brief happiness they can find in sex and love is a kindness , in my opinion .

Comment

You'll find a lot of love for Season 7 around here

Comment

Hey Hunga Munga, we've met on the board already of course but I wanted to join and offer an official hello.

I first watched the show after it had finished when I got the box set for Xmas in 2010. I do have favourite seasons (6 & 5), but I think there is something great in all of them and that's a big part of why I love the show so much. And as Spike's my favourite character, I can't help but love S7.

Please do feel free to ask any questions if you have any, I'm around on and off every day.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunga Munga View Post
                Not really been much of a media guy last 20 years . However after a year or so on Buffy Boards , it became obvious that I would have to watch a load of titles to get a broader perspective of BTVS and Angel . So, last couple of years I've been working through the likely suspects .

Enjoyed Grimm , Teen Wolf, Wynona Earp , IZombie and others . Been a good experience but for me , Buffy is still head and shoulders above all of them .
                I haven't watched any of these. How do you feel they add to your perspective on BtVS and AtS?

At the moment I'm watching Buffy on Amazon Prime . Took a month trial at Christmas and haven't switched it off yet . I m knee deep in season 5 at the moment , just about to watch 'Fool For Love' . Will almost certainly switch back to DVD when I 'm finished with 7 on Prime , watch Angel season 5 , then rollover straight back to 'Welcome to the Hellmouth' in 4:3 .
                I bought the US releases when I found out the show was supposed to be viewed in 4:3 ratio and I really think it makes a difference, I love watching those.

We have a rewatch that is a long standing project on the board and is currently on S7. The upgrade has held up the restart after Christmas but hopefully we'll get back to the reviews and discussions on this soon. Here's a link to the S7 thread, the first post of which links to all the previous seasons. At the moment some of the threads aren't loading properly when you are logged in but can be read still if you log out. Aurora did an immense review for FFL, really it was a review + character study of Spike, which you might find interesting as that's where you are at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoney View Post

I haven't watched any of these. How do you feel they add to your perspective on BtVS and AtS?

I bought the US releases when I found out the show was supposed to be viewed in 4:3 ratio and I really think it makes a difference, I love watching those.
                  Buffy wasn't the first fantasy show by a long shot . Nor was it the first show set in a magical realist landscape rooted in our daytoday culture .Yet somehow it's the 'Citizen Kane' of the genre ? They've been trying to recreate the BTVS magic since before it come off the air . Personally I think that little lot I listed is the cream of the crop .

Grimm is a noir fantasy by David Greenwalt of Angel fame. The dialogue and overall story isn't to my taste but the visual style is pretty damn nice in my opinion . I think it's a nice take on the research/weapons stash/secret identity aspects of Buffy .

Teen Wolf is another high school show with a reluctant hero with a secret identity . The paralells between the Scoobies and Scott's friends make the show worth watching for that alone(IMO ) . It's an uneven experience but at its best its a funny, beautiful(if a little sparse) compelling show

Wynona Earp is a bit of a rough diamond , but the dialogue and performances can be really good . They really play with language and I love it .I can feel the spirit of Buffy in characters like Doc Holliday, Waverly Earp and Sheriff Nedley.

The other thing about all these shows is they're not complete sausage fests ..or obsessed with vampire romance..or so generic you could write it while you view it . I watched all them shows too ...but they weren't for me .

Don't get me started on ratios . I did the same as you with the US region 1s ...but on balance I still preferred the imperfect widescreen cut ...Occasionally I watch both on important eps.
                  For the first time , I ve been watching the HD remaster on Amazon Prime . Quite like what they did with season 1 but I wasn't as impressed with the later seasons.
                  Last edited by Hunga Munga; 04-02-20, 04:59 PM.

Comment

I tried to watch Teen Wolf and found it a complete homoerotic fantasy, which is fine, but the female characters were so poorly drawn I couldn't get passed the first few episodes, although people tell me they do get better. I saw a few episodes of Grimm, but it looked unsurprising, and I've only seen one episode of Wynona Earp, but I know people who love it really really love it, so I might try to watch it.

I think I have less patience with teen shows then I did back when I was only a few years out of teenagehood. Now I'm old, shows aimed at teens just annoy me. Not their fault at all, that's just life.

Comment

Hmmm, I might add those to my 'to watch' list, thanks.

Don't get me started on ratios . I did the same as you with the US region 1s ...but on balance I still preferred the imperfect widescreen cut ...Occasionally I watch both on important eps.
                      For the first time , I ve been watching the HD remaster on Amazon Prime . Quite like what they did with season 1 but I wasn't as impressed with the later seasons.
                      I really like the framing and focus the 4:3 gives to the scenes. I don't know that I'd watch the digital remaster because of the well-documented issues with it, but I have to confessed I have used screenshots for fanart as the draw to get that HD quality image has won to use in fanarting. But watching it I'm still resistant to do.

Comment

Hmmm, I might add those to my 'to watch' list, thanks.

I don't know that I'd watch the digital remaster because of the well-documented issues with it, but I have to confessed I have used screenshots for fanart as the draw to get that HD quality image has won to use in fanarting. But watching it I'm still resistant to do.
                        As a fan , who knows the text pretty well , I did not notice the worst examples of reframing lazy butchery as it played . I did however notice some really basic focus , contrast and colour saturation issues . You can't even fix it on the monitor because the issues are entirely uneven .

This is more later on in the show , when the 35mm film should have provided an easy image to work off . Lazy stuff .

Season 1 and 2 however, I reckon are worth watching at least once in HD .

I'm into season 6 now , need to be finished before the 20th so I can unsubscribe from Amazon Prime ...til next Christmas Wasn't able to watch 'The Body' this time . It's only a month since I buried my own adopted mother . BTVS has been a cornerstone of my grief since she died ...and I have drawn a lot of comfort from this rewatch . 'The Body' is just asking for trouble though .

Comment

I'm sorry for your loss Hunga Munga.

“I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hunga Munga View Post
                            As a fan , who knows the text pretty well , I did not notice the worst examples of reframing lazy butchery as it played . I did however notice some really basic focus , contrast and colour saturation issues . You can't even fix it on the monitor because the issues are entirely uneven .

This is more later on in the show , when the 35mm film should have provided an easy image to work off . Lazy stuff .

Season 1 and 2 however, I reckon are worth watching at least once in HD .
                            Aren't there issues with the night filters in the early seasons at points too. I can't remember all the list of issues now it just feels like a matter of principle to shun them because they were done so badly overall (unless I'm making a fanart piece of course, then my principles go out the window ). Plus I watch off DVD, so I wouldn't be watching through Prime or netflix or some such anyway, which again makes it easier to avoid the temptation.

I'm into season 6 now , need to be finished before the 20th so I can unsubscribe from Amazon Prime ...til next Christmas Wasn't able to watch 'The Body' this time . It's only a month since I buried my own adopted mother . BTVS has been a cornerstone of my grief since she died ...and I have drawn a lot of comfort from this rewatch . 'The Body' is just asking for trouble though .
                            Sorry to hear of your loss. I haven't had the impact of losing either parent yet but I can understand feeling that it is too close for watching The Body for you right now, but good that the show is still connecting to you and helping at this time.

Comment

Aren't there issues with the night filters in the early seasons at points too. I can't remember all the list of issues now it just feels like a matter of principle to shun them because they were done so badly overall (unless I'm making a fanart piece of course, then my principles go out the window ). Plus I watch off DVD, so I wouldn't be watching through Prime or netflix or some such anyway, which again makes it easier to avoid the temptation.

Sorry to hear of your loss. I haven't had the impact of losing either parent yet but I can understand feeling that it is too close for watching The Body for you right now, but good that the show is still connecting to you and helping at this time.
                              I think the treatment of Season 1 and 2 probably added to my viewing experience a lil bit ... However season 3 is arguably the most exciting prospect for a veteran Buffy fan ...because it's shot on 35mm (from memory ?) and we've never seen the whole film frame . That was a real letdown for me .

However I' m not overthinking the small stuff on this run through . I have the capacity to watch all three 'cuts' on the fly . When my head is in a better space I'll probably do just that : start with 'The Freshman' and 'Chosen' then work through some other important eps .

Comment

Working...
                              X