No announcement yet.

Anyone used to be on BW Forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I have read a lot of negative comments about Buffyboards over the years. I do remember that one member used to be really hostile towards me the few times I did post. I got the impression that they didn't like new members joining, especially ones as opinionated as myself.

I could just never really warm up to Buffyboards. I appreciate the effort they went to when designing their site but I found it difficult to read sometimes. Too many pictures and colours. I had similar problems with Slayalive, to be honest. I have always liked Buffyforums as it's quite plain and easy to navigate/read. But I am extremely colour blind so colours tend to bleed together for me and can make it difficult for my eyes to adjust.
    I was on BuffyBoards for a couple of years and mostly enjoyed my time there. The mods are always posting, so it never gets quiet and there is always something happening. I did find some of their members a bit difficult, one-note and set in their ways. I also found the site to be incredibly pro-Angel, anti-Spike, to the extent that some members would say some really defamatory things about JM and the mods very rarely stepped in. But then people I found to be quiet mild in their views would get banned for 'upsetting' the mods. Just a strange site, but if you toe the party line you'll have a good time there.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver1 View Post
      Yeah, for some time now I keep expecting to come here only to find It's gone for good, like so many other places before it.

As someone who was part of the ever growing crowd of people to be banned form the place I don't have a good word to say about it, nor It's mods. I know many shippers feel they feel picked upon on certain boards and in fact they're just being a tad oversensitive, but by god this lot really do have a vendetta against certain ships/characters. The site owner and (from what I can work out) all the mods really dislike Spike/Spuffy as well as some other ships such as Cordy/Angel. An attitude I notice they still have to this day.

They say they don't, but you only need to spend a little time on there to see thats untrue BIG TIME! I guess It's a bit easier these days considering most of the 'unclean' have been kicked off the place.

I honestly don't know why they just don't label themselves a Bangel board and be done with it.
      This ^^^^ I always thought it should be called Bangel Boards. When I joined they had set up seperate sections were Spuffy and Bangel fans could post, and only the respective fans could post, so no haters. But then they changed the rules (I've never understood why) and then 'anyone can post, as long as they are respectful', well you can imagine how that worked out. It's a shame, because there are a lot of positives about that board, but they ruined it by being so anti other ships.

Comment

Yeah, for some time now I keep expecting to come here only to find It's gone for good, like so many other places before it.

As someone who was part of the ever growing crowd of people to be banned form the place I don't have a good word to say about it, nor It's mods. I know many shippers feel they feel picked upon on certain boards and in fact they're just being a tad oversensitive, but by god this lot really do have a vendetta against certain ships/characters. The site owner and (from what I can work out) all the mods really dislike Spike/Spuffy as well as some other ships such as Cordy/Angel. An attitude I notice they still have to this day.

They say they don't, but you only need to spend a little time on there to see thats untrue BIG TIME! I guess It's a bit easier these days considering most of the 'unclean' have been kicked off the place.

I honestly don't know why they just don't label themselves a Bangel board and be done with it.
        Originally posted by Priceless View Post
        I was on BuffyBoards for a couple of years and mostly enjoyed my time there. The mods are always posting, so it never gets quiet and there is always something happening. I did find some of their members a bit difficult, one-note and set in their ways. I also found the site to be incredibly pro-Angel, anti-Spike, to the extent that some members would say some really defamatory things about JM and the mods very rarely stepped in. But then people I found to be quiet mild in their views would get banned for 'upsetting' the mods. Just a strange site, but if you toe the party line you'll have a good time there.
        Bleh. I'll give it a hard pass. Mods have one job, and that's to make sure people are following the rules and to enforce the rules. They shouldn't be enforcing their own preferences on to people about characters/ships.

People need to realise that a variety of opinions makes things so much more interesting. It's actually one of the biggest things I miss about old fandom. Back when the show had just ended and a lot of fans were still discussing the show (before inevitably moving on) there was so much diversity amongst fandom. Obviously some ships/characters were more popular than others but you had such a range of interests amongst people. Nowadays that's really dropped off. For instance, you almost never come across Willow/Tara shippers anymore when that used to be HUGE in fandom when the show was first airing. I really miss that melting pot of different fans. I don't get why they'd want their site to just be an echo chamber of people agreeing with each other or of only Bangel/Angel fans etc.
        Last edited by vampmogs; 02-08-18, 01:46 PM.
        - "The earth is doomed" -

Comment

ReWillow/Tara, oh dunno. I'm on Tumblr a lot and see an awful lot of art etc based on that pairing. In fact I go as far to say It's the most popular ship on that place.

Comment

Oh that could be true. I have never really went on Tumblr much at all so I don't really know what's going on there. I guess I should probably take a look at some point seeing as how it's where most new fans probably frequent now!
            - "The earth is doomed" -

Comment

Agree wholeheartedly with what everyone's posted. And this forum is wonderful I just really hope it never closes down *fingers crossed*
              Last edited by SpuffyGlitz; 02-08-18, 02:30 PM.
              buffylover made this stunning banner

Comment

vampmogs
                I sometimes expect the site to close down. Nikki is still running the place and is presumably still paying for it as well. Do you have any idea how that all works? Does she have to pay for it every year or did she pay for a few years in advance? I'm not going to lie... sometimes I think the site will get shut down. I can't really blame her for not wanting to continue paying for a forum she doesn't even post on anymore
                That`s what I fear as well. That I will come here one day and the site is closed. Gone forever. I just hope, that Nikki or whoever is in charge nowadays will talk to us before it happens.

There is a donate button on the entrance site to this forum. I don`t even know, if it stills works. But I am honest - if money is an issue, I am ready and willing to donate. That`s why a notice befpre closing the site would be very much appreciated .

Thank you so much vampmogs for your detailed post about the history of fandom. To someone like me who is so new to fandom it is really interesting to read abpout how it all started. It must have been cool to be able to even talk to writers or JW on certain sites.

flow
                ................................ Banner by buffylover

Comment

This ^^^^ I always thought it should be called Bangel Boards.
                  I don't care if people criticize Buffy-Boards. I have my own problems with the place. But to paint everyone there as a Bangel shipper seems over the top to me. As far as I know, the posters that people have the most problems with are not Bangel shippers, and the Bangel section had problems after the rules change too.

Also, I find the "echo chamber" comments a little silly, given how few Bangel-positive people post here. (And the few who do barely touch those arguments.)

Comment

Originally posted by grace View Post
                    I don't care if people criticize Buffy-Boards. I have my own problems with the place. But to paint everyone there as a Bangel shipper seems over the top to me. As far as I know, the posters that people have the most problems with are not Bangel shippers, and the Bangel section had problems after the rules change too.

Also, I find the "echo chamber" comments a little silly, given how few Bangel-positive people post here. (And the few who do barely touch those arguments.)
                    As a Spuffy shipper, I found BB a difficult place to be once the safe-space was taken away. Prior to that, I enjoyed being on BB and had some good fun there, even though the majority of posters were Bangel and/or Angel fans. I also found the majority of the Mods were Bangel shippers, and I think the Mods mould the board into what they want it to be and it will always reflect the views of the people with the power.

I would encourage everyone to post here, no matter what their shipping views, that's what makes a site interesting and informative, lots of different voices. It just felt on BB that the Spuffy voices were not wanted and certainly not encouraged.

Comment

This is funny because I always jokingly call this place Spuffy Forums!

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Gordo View Post
                        This is funny because I always jokingly call this place Spuffy Forums!
                        Then post more Bangelly stuff, that's the only way to world domination Said with affection

And here you can set up your own community with your own Mod who can regulate who posts, so even if the main board turns anti, there is always a safe space.

Comment

Yes, over here you can at least set up a thread and not get bombarded by the mods with nit picking attempts to get you banned.

Comment

At that place, Spuffy and Spike fans were (and I suppose they still are) offended quite frequently by haters without any consequence.

But all that was about a show, and fictional characters; when an actor - James Marsters - is accused of being a pedophile (of adopting his niece to molest her), and NOTHING is done about it (on the contrary: the one who was banned was the person who spoke up), it's time to leave.

But God forbid someone opening a thread about SMG's growing nose there.
                            Last edited by betta; 02-08-18, 05:12 PM. Reason: correct English grammar
                            My Tumblr: Dog is My Copilot

sigpic

Comment

Yes, over here you can at least set up a thread and not get bombarded by the mods with nit picking attempts to get you banned.
                              I feel there is a story behind this?

Comment

I feel there is a story behind this?
                                It was lame and ridiculous and unfair. I was there back then; and I apologize for not having said anything, Silver1.
                                Last edited by betta; 02-08-18, 05:10 PM. Reason: Always the English...
                                My Tumblr: Dog is My Copilot

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X