Site restructuring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Site restructuring

As we're looking over all aspects of the site at the moment, we'd like to run with KingofCretins' suggestion to consider ideas on what changes people think could be made to the forums/subforums structure. Please put forward your ideas and thoughts here.
    At the moment the directory looks like this:
    JOSSVERSE
    General Discussions (subforums : Outside the Shows)
    Buffy
    Angel
    Buffy and Angel Comics (subforums : Buffy Season 9, Buffy Season 10, Buffy Season 11, Angel and Faith, Older Comic Discussions)
    Other Joss Projects

OTHER SHOWS
    Game of Thrones
    Supernatural
    Drama and Comedy
    Vampire Diaries/The Originals/Legacies
    Sci fi, Fantasy and Action

INTERACTIVE
    Fanart (subforums: Lean to Fanart, Fanart Discussions, Fanart Challenges & Battles)
    Miscellaneous Forum (subforums: The Boiler Room, AFA: Annual Awards Ceremony)
    FanFiction (subforums: Fanfiction Discussion, 2013 and 2014 Fanfiction, 2012 Fanfiction, Virtual Seasons, Archive, Feedback
    Games

EXTRAS
    Welcome Posts
    VIP Forum
    Information, FAQ and Suggestions

(these are the subforums where there are any in addition to the Dead Threads in each section)

I would say that Other Shows can either be only one forum or a forum with only the subforums Drama and Comedy and Sci fi, Fantasy and Action. And maybe we can merge shows and films? So that it's no longer just about shows but about films as well?

And AFA can go to land of the Dead Threads, I doubt we'll ever host one again.

Comment

Agree with Nina that the other shows should be in genre headings, not specific shows.

As a comics fan I'd like the comics to be split up more, so a section perhaps for the IDW Angel comics, the Dark Horse era, and now the Boom Studios comics.

Comment

Since GoT and Supernatural have both come to an end now I don't see the need for an extra forum for them anymore. I think Drama/Comedy and SciFi/Fantasy and Action will be sufficient.

I would suggest moving the Dead Threads to the bottom of a forum. It feels a bit weird to click on a forum and find out it starts with "Dead Threads".

I also think the 2012, 2013 and 2014 fanfiction threads could go into the archive now. However, I am not entirely happy with the subforums name "Archive". Maybe it could be named "Fanfiction Archive" or just "Stories", "Fanfiction Stories" or maybe there is yet a better name for me that totally escapes me now. A structure within the Archive would be great too. Maybe we could create subsections for each author?

Last not least I think some of the sticky threads could be made unsticky. For example the Welcoming Committee in the welcome forum or the Written Finals 2008 in the fanfiction forum.

flow
        ................................ Banner by buffylover

Comment

• Stoney
          Stoney commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm currently looking through some of the help text and thought today reviewing the sticky threads afterwards was probably a good idea too.

I think organizing the non-Whedon-verse by genre is the right idea. We might also have some different media forums, like books or gaming (I'm thinking of all the different, immersive story driven games that have come out since this forum was launched - Heavy Rain, Until Dawn, everything Telltale, Life is Strange - might be stuff people want to talk about, I know I am down).

And we probably just need fewer subforums in general. I don't want to think Redditize per se, but I think our fanfic and fanart could probably share a forum, maybe push some mutual interest? I think Less is More should probably prevail.
        sigpic
        Banner by LRae12

Comment

Where did the Joss icon come from? Are all the sections getting new icons? I quite like it!
          I disagree that the fanfic and the fanart should be together, I like them being two different sections as somebody who uses both of them.

Comment

• Rosely
            Rosely commented
            Editing a comment
            Haha it was a test, we thought we might be able to remove the user icons on the right. But it turned out to be the icons on the left. I left it there for a bit to illustrate to Ehlwyen what it did.
            But yeah... we could do them all.. but then they'd have to be better. I now just grabbed a photo of Joss from some site.

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
          As a comics fan I'd like the comics to be split up more, so a section perhaps for the IDW Angel comics, the Dark Horse era, and now the Boom Studios comics.
          I'd quite like to get the Boom comics and DH S12 into their own sections. There is some reorganising of threads that would be needed for that and I can see the argument that splitting into the different publishers generally could make sense and break up the older comic discussion subforum. There are some extra DH comics that don't fit the seasons, the high school years and ITL come to mind. So a general DH section would be good if keeping the seasons separate within it would be possible. Otherwise it would need to be the five canon seasons and a DH general one, and then IDW and Boom. That would be quite a lot of subforums, I don't know if that's seem as problematic at all??

All of this would take some sorting to go through and split up the threads, sending them off to the appropriate places. I don't mind doing that, but it might take a little time to go through.

I agree keeping fanart and fanfic separated is better.

Comment

Stoney, my idea was to make the comic forum smaller by sectioning the comics into publishers, but as you see it, that won't happen. I'm not sure what the solution is

Comment

Stoney, my idea was to make the comic forum smaller by sectioning the comics into publishers, but as you see it, that won't happen. I'm not sure what the solution is
              I don't think putting all the DH seasons into one subforum would be a great idea personally, it would just make it a massive bunch of threads and harder to look through I think. If it is possible to keep the seasons split underneath a DH subforum I wouldn't have a problem with that. But it is an extra layer so that might not even be possible. Or it could frustrate people in a different way. I don't know, it'll be interesting to hear what others think.

Comment

Where did the Joss icon come from? Are all the sections getting new icons? I quite like it!
                I disagree that the fanfic and the fanart should be together, I like them being two different sections as somebody who uses both of them.
                I strongly agree. I like both, but if they are mixed, I would probably skip them both on this site. Too messy.

Comment

I would dearly like a major heading area for discussing writing. Called Writing Resources, maybe? Subheadings could include "writing within fandoms" "writing tips and resources" "Writing: General & misc.

This could be a possible place to add artwork resources header (then maybe the over all header would need to reflect this)

Note: this would NOT be a place to post actual writing or art or recommendiations, but to discuss the CRAFT of writing: how to, and tools, etc., links to original work, maybe, and under these, user created topics within the various headers.

Comment

There should be a permanent *Site discussion* header that includes subheaders such as _Site Rules, questions and general info, _moderators announcements_, _,site problems_ and a _site suggestions & requests_ and maybe a misc site related area.

Also helpful might be:

Lost and Found: a place to look for specific fic or types of stories

Comment

I think the information under Help (currently being reviewed) and within the 'Information, FAQ and Suggestions' forum greatly meets the 'site discussion' ideas you suggested. Although I'm not sure if there is a set record of past mod announcements people can view. Of course a lot of those announcements are time specific and so keeping them to reference back to wouldn't necessarily be advantageous.

I could see Writing Resources working as a subforum of fanfiction perhaps. You could have running threads for the kinds of discussions you are suggesting or specific ones started with writing tips etc. I'm not sure about it as a forum of its own with those sections as subforums, I'm not sure it would generate enough traffic to warrant that (although people should speak up if they disagree with me ).

Adding a subforum in fanfic for your Lost and Found, for people to put requests for help finding fics and for the threads such as flow's detailing fanfic archives/sites to find stories within could work well I think.

Comment

Originally posted by flow View Post
                        Since GoT and Supernatural have both come to an end now I don't see the need for an extra forum for them anymore. I think Drama/Comedy and SciFi/Fantasy and Action will be sufficient.

I would suggest moving the Dead Threads to the bottom of a forum. It feels a bit weird to click on a forum and find out it starts with "Dead Threads".

I also think the 2012, 2013 and 2014 fanfiction threads could go into the archive now. However, I am not entirely happy with the subforums name "Archive". Maybe it could be named "Fanfiction Archive" or just "Stories", "Fanfiction Stories" or maybe there is yet a better name for me that totally escapes me now. A structure within the Archive would be great too. Maybe we could create subsections for each author?
                        I can see the argument for losing the 2012, 13, 14 subforums now. It would probably be good to get Llywela's thoughts on restructuring the fanfic section with these points and Blue's above.

I can see your point about 'Dead Threads' but perhaps the issue is calling them dead rather than having it at the top. If they scoot down to the bottom you might find they get browsed through less. I'm not sure.

Comment

What about a subforum for Completed with the older seasons as subsubforums?
                          And then the actively being published can each have their own subforum?

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

• Priceless
                            Priceless commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I think that would work. My though was that the older comics don't get much traffic anyway, so I think a 'Completed' subforum would work

• Stoney
                            Stoney commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I'm not sure that doesn't bury the DH seasons too much in favour of Boom's new iteration. It makes me twitch to seemingly push down the canon comics for the new ones.
                        Working...
                        X