This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frequently Asked Questions

I have put together the answers for all frequently asked questions in this section. I ask that you read through it before asking us a question. Also, please refer to the FAQs thread for further details.

We recently upgraded our forum software. So there are a lot of changes still happening. General guidance on using the site, specific to the new updated version, can be found under the other Help headings too (General Help, Managing Your Account, Creating Content, etc.).

1. What is this place?
    BuffyForums is a discussion board with an emphasis on critical thinking and openness to differing opinions. We all obviously love something about Buffy the Vampire mythology more than our hearts can contain. And we are here to talk and share in that love and vent some frustration we have with the parts we didn't like. Always remember that what you dislike could be what another person loves. We strive for respecting each other's opinions.

BuffyForums originally began in February 2007 as a temporary home for the members of BuffyWorld Forums which was experiencing heavy periods of downtime and ultimately an irreversible and unsuspected purging of the database losing all our posts and member information. At that point BuffyForums became its own distinct community in an effort to provide a reliable place for all our television discussion, fanart, and fanfic needs. You are very welcome to join our community here.

2. How do I get a picture under my name?
    To get an avatar (image) under your name:
    - Click on your name in the top right and enter "My Profile".
    - There you can select to "Edit Avatar" (where your profile picture would be on the left).
    - You must note however, that an avatar may not exceed 100 by 100 pixels or 10000 bytes. If you need any help resizing it or have any problems please ask in the Avatar thread in the Miscellaneous section.

3. How do I put an image in my signature?
    You must be a premium member first, see point 16.
    - Click on your name in the top right and enter your "User Settings".
    - Under the "Account" tab scroll down to "Conversation Detail Options" and within "Visible Post Elements" select to "Edit Post Signature".
    - Here you can upload an image or provide a forum link code to the image on a hosting site. You can enter text here too. Remember to save your edit.

4. Why can't I see my signature?
    If you can't view signatures check your setting to see them is on.
    - Click on your name in the top right and enter your "User Settings".
    - Under the "Account" tab scroll down to "Conversation Detail Options" and look within "Visible Post Elements" to check that "Show signatures" is ticked.

5. What are the titles under my name? Can I change it?
    You may not change your title....well, not until you get a lot of posts. The option to customise your title comes with becoming a premium member, when you reach a total of 400 posts.
    - To change your title, click on your name in the top right and enter your "User Settings".
    - At the top of your "Profile" you have the option to enter a custom "User Title".

6. What are groups and how do I join them?
    Groups are merely threads devoted to a particular character, relationship or topic. They are not elite. You can create a group or browse through the existing groups and if you're interested in being a group member, you can click the button to join.

7. Can I change my user name?
    If you want to change your user name you will need to contact an administrator or super moderator to change this for you.

8. My PM box says it is full but there is nothing in there
    Private messages create a thread between you and the other members participating in the conversation. The messages you send and receive can be found in both your inbox and sent items folders. If you delete a PM it will be moved into your trash folder, but it can be recovered from there. You need to select messages to permanently delete within your trash in order for them to go completely and free up space if you have reached the maximum number of private messages.

9. What are moderators? Can I be one?
    Moderators are members that have been selected to oversee the forum. They keep it clean, organized, and fair to all other members. Becoming a moderator is not easy. New ones are only added if they are needed and at that, they are chosen for their contribution to the forum and for their respect for other members.

10. Warning points
    We have devised a system here to tackle spam, spoilers and problematic behaviour. The maximum points you can have before getting banned is 20 points. For the common offences you get 5 points and therefore need 4 warnings to get banned (4 warnings X 5 points = 20 points). At 15 points you're suspended for a week (3 warnings X 5 points = 15 points).

You may be given a warning without receiving any points for the infraction too. This is at the discretion of the moderators, if they feel the situation warrants some leniency. Otherwise, there are three levels of warnings. Ranging from the more common offences that incur 1 or 5 point infractions, to more serious infractions that incur a 10 point level. Then there are the occasions when a full immediate 20 points ban may be issued, such as to accounts created for spamming. The warning points quantity is determined by the levels and you will be issued points according to the nature of the offence.

When you receive a warning you will be sent a PM and email explaining the level of warning you have, how many points you have and what the warning was for.

If, after 30 days you have not received any further warnings your points will be taken away so you will be back to nothing, or if you were on 2 warnings you will be back to just 1.

11. Why is my post count not increasing?
    Post count has been disabled in the welcome, games, miscellaneous, and interactive fanfic forums. Post count reflects your contribution to all discussions relating to shows. Also we have a system to avoid spammers getting high post count, by setting a minimum number of characters before a post will be counted. You will find it changes by section, but is mostly set to 100 characters.

**THIS POINT IS CURRENTLY UNDER FURTHER REVISION**

12. How do I sign out?
    Click on your name in the top right hand corner and the option to "Log Out" can be found there.

13. How do I get a forum
    If you want a forum like this one you need to buy it here: vBulletin

14. Signature Spoilers. . . What is allowed?
    It's still spoilerish if it hasn't aired anywhere other than the US so far. You need to use the spoiler tags if you want to use spoiling visuals in your sig. For text, as long as the quote doesn't reveal anything about the episode/season then it is fine to place in your sig. If you are unsure and want to run it by us Moderators before placing it in your sig, then let us know what it is and we will let you know.

15. Can we post links to other Forums?
    You can link other forums for reference or discussion but please don't start threads advertising your forums here. Same goes for websites, put them in your signatures, but don't post just to advertise.

16. What is a premium member and what do I have to do to be one?
    This is a user group for members who've made a significant contribution to the forum. Call it a little reward for making the forum interesting and enjoyable. If some of you are interested in this here are the requirements:

• 3+ months as a member
    • 400+ posts
    • No current warnings (warnings that have expired are ok)

This user groups includes amenities like avatar upgrades, signature images and access to our VIP Lounge. If you find you meet the above criteria you should be upgraded automatically, but if not, PM Ehlwyen.

These are the details of the sig image and avatar sizes you are allowed:
    Sig images - the maximum size of your custom image is 500 by 150 pixels or 50000 bytes (whichever is smaller)
    Avatar - still needs to be really 100x100 or it alters the shape of the threads, but it can be larger in size than 10000, so you can have a better quality one, or a moving gif

17. What are reputation points and how do they work?
    If you click your name in the top right and select "User Settings", then go to your "Account" tab, you'll find the option to tick to enable "Reputation Level" to show. If you do NOT want to take part in this system, make sure it isn't ticked. Don't forget to scroll down to save any changes you make.

Your reputation score is displayed on a scale in your post information, underneath your avatar/name/title. If you hover over the lines, it will show you the title associated to that reputation score. Unless the lines are blank white and then it will tell you that the user's reputation is turned off.

18. Disabled Sections
    We have a couple of sections that are hidden or posting is not permitted in. These are as follows.

The VIP section This is just like a misc section for the Premium members, how to become one, is mentioned above.
    The Moderator Section, as suggested by the title, this forum is for the moderators only, it cannot be viewed at all. To become a moderator, read point 7.

19. Why has my thread been moved?
    We work to try to keep the site tidy and easy to navigate. Moderators might move threads to more appropriate sections or, if you've started a thread that already exists, merge the threads or post a link to the other existing thread and close your own.

We also may move threads to the archive sections in the different forums. You can contact a moderator for a thread to be moved back if you want to reopen it.

20. How do I attach images in my posts?
    By clicking the camera icon in the top left corner of your reply box you can upload images or attach ones previously uploaded. Although there is a limit to the uploading of photos. Alternatively, if you use an image hosting site you can get a forum code for the image you have there that you would like to link to and paste that code into the main body of your post. If you click to "preview", at the bottom right of your reply box, you can see how the images will appear in your post.

If you have any more questions, please respond below. This thread isn't for comments or spam, only for posting other legitimate questions. Posting anything other will result in being issued a warning. Thanks.
    Last edited by Stoney; 31-07-20, 03:23 PM. Reason: Updating

Please delete this if nesciarry, but everytime I try to load my sig I get this message...
    "There is no current signature picture to use."
    I don't have a button that says insert signature image...
    Help?
    Veronica: You know those people who can predict when change is coming in their life?
    I'm not one of them. Change has a way of just walking up and punching me in the face.

sigpic

-Lost- on BF Banner from LF

Comment

Actually, you have to have reached 250 posts before you are allowed a signature. Premium membership is discussed in #16.

You can have text in your signature but not an image until then. It's just one of the ways we reward members who have shown continued interest and loyalty to the forum. I look forward to seeing you around.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

Thanks for the answer, although I recognize members from the other site, with sigs with lower than 250 posts, was there special circumstances for those who lost their accounts on buffyworld?
        Veronica: You know those people who can predict when change is coming in their life?
        I'm not one of them. Change has a way of just walking up and punching me in the face.

sigpic

Comment

Yes, people who were VIPs on BuffyWorld have been allowed to be VIPs here because they lost all their posts and we know they are contributing members to any forum

Comment

And I being one of them?
            How would I go about this?
            (user name on BF was -lost-)

sigpic

Comment

You just have to PM Nikki and let her know. Then she will make you a VIP.
              Avie by Lrae12

Comment

ok...I have a weird question - When I poste an art in the Fanart section, I posted a smaller peice and a link to the 800x600. For some reason, I can't seem to get the link titled (you know how it'll say 800x600 and when I click on it, it takes me to my art on photobucket)...it's just showing the whole URL...help!
                sigpic

Comment

The format to title your link is:

[ URL="http://www.whateveraddress.com/"]Your Title Here[/URL ]
                  sigpic
                  Banner by LRae12

Comment

Thanks, KingofCretins! I'll give it a try.

eta: It worked!
                    Last edited by LRae12; 29-06-07, 09:22 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Hey, Nikki. I thought you might want to sticky this thread. I was looking for it for a question someone asked me and I overlooked it cause I was looking for a sticky.

Second, the link in your first paragraph links to BW.
                      sigpic
                      follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

I am looking for old fan fic season 8 Buffy in New York stories. Have they been lost, taken off, or banned???? Sorry if I am posting in the wrong place.

Comment

Originally posted by T.Hodge View Post
                          I am looking for old fan fic season 8 Buffy in New York stories. Have they been lost, taken off, or banned???? Sorry if I am posting in the wrong place.
                          That used to be BuffyWorld Forums 'Official' Season 8. The writers stopped a while back, and I'm not sure if they will post them here or not.

I believe ferdy-m was head of it...but I'm pretty sure that Wolfie Gilmore also wrote for it. I think they are the only two left. If you wanted more info I would suggest PM'ing ferdy.
                          Love to write? Take the Fanfic Challenge!

Unapologetic Mockers: BACK WITH AN ALL NEW LAYOUT!

Comment

Llywela was also part of it and she is usually very good at keeping a hard copy of everything she does. She's been gone the past week but I'll try to direct her attention to this question.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

Wolfie Gilmore is the driving force and original creator of S8 on this board. I just did the last two episodes when she had to hand over.

Llywela is asking the main culprits what we think of bringing S8 over to the new place at this moment. The last two episodes won't be included but let's hope everyone else thinks it's a cunning plan.
                              * supporting the WGA strikers *

Comment

Working...
                              X