No announcement yet.

Report a Problem or give a Suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you link me to any places where this happened? I'm trying to understand: Submit is hit once and then two posts of the same message are made? Are the time stamps on the posts the same or a minute different?

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

It happens usually to me in the Buffy & Angel game threads (like this one) and what happens is that I copy-paste the list in the quick reply box and add my votes. After that I hit the "Post Quick Reply" button and then it takes often 10-20 seconds before the post is actually posted. But from time to time the "Are you sure you want to leave this page" pop-up appears and when I click "yes" it often brings me back to the homepage but sometimes it brings me to the screen you get when you double-post. The one with the error because there was less than 30 seconds between your two posts. I can't pinpoint when what happens. I just posted in that thread and nothing weird happened but earlier today I got the double-posting error while I did the exact same thing.

Comment

Thank you Nina, that was really helpful. I had set the forums to combine double posts that happen within 24 hours. So I was really confused that double posts were happening at all. But i forgot I didn't do this for the games and misc forums because double posting is okay. I pretty sure I can fix this accidental double posting by setting it to merge posts after 5 minutes. But it will mean no purposeful double posting within 5 min. I might be able to set it for as low as a minute but I don't know if that will stop the accidental doubles. I'm on my phone now and will post in here when I can adjust that setting.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

Hi I just had this happen again. I was on the S3 best villain game, clicked on post quick reply and this message came up...

I opted to stay on page and then clicked on post quick reply again to find that it had double posted. I have left both posts up to show, in case that helps to track the 'why' of it. I don't think this has only happened in the games threads but it has been awhile since it has done it to me so I'm not sure.

Comment

Unfortunately, that quick bandaid plan isnt going to work without sacrificing other things. So I need more information to try and diagnose why this occurs to come up with alternatives. From searching the internet it appears to be a vbulletin thing.
            1. What internet browsers is this happening in?
            2. What forum style do you use?
            3. What is the time between when you click into the quick reply text box to when you click the "post quick reply" button below the text box? (The auto save refreshes every sixty seconds which I can adjust.) If you enter quick reply or post by another manner tell me so.
            4. Is the Games the only forum it is happening in? What others?
            5. Has this ever happened when posting from the Advanced posting dialogue?
            6. Have you ever clicked on "Leave Page" when the pop up occurs? What happens?

If you know anyone else having this happen, direct them to this thread.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

1. What internet browsers is this happening in? Safari
              2. What forum style do you use? AegeanEcru
              3. What is the time between when you click into the quick reply text box to when you click the "post quick reply" button below the text box? (The auto save refreshes every sixty seconds which I can adjust.) If you enter quick reply or post by another manner tell me so. Not sure but the example I gave can't have been very long because I was just posting a game turn rather than typing in a long post.
              4. Is the Games the only forum it is happening in? What others? I think it happened in the comic news thread too but can't remember, will let you know if it happens elsewhere again.
              5. Has this ever happened when posting from the Advanced posting dialogue? Don't think so but can't be 100%.
              6. Have you ever clicked on "Leave Page" when the pop up occurs? What happens? It posts the message, once.

Comment

Are those questions for everybody with these problems? If so...

What internet browsers is this happening in?
                I use Chrome... I can try Explorer to see if it's also happening there? I've not done it yet.

What forum style do you use?
                Default style

What is the time between when you click into the quick reply text box to when you click the "post quick reply" button below the text box? (The auto save refreshes every sixty seconds which I can adjust.) If you enter quick reply or post by another manner tell me so.
                I can start checking if there is a relation between the problems and the time it takes me to make the post. I'll mention it when I think there is a relation between the two.

Is the Games the only forum it is happening in? What others?
                Usually I only post in Games and Fanart so I'm afraid I can't be really helpful. All I can say is that it doesn't happen in Fanart.

Has this ever happened when posting from the Advanced posting dialogue?
                I'll have to try; since the great update of the forum I only use the Quick Reply option.

Have you ever clicked on "Leave Page" when the pop up occurs? What happens?
                I always click "Leave Page" and it redirects me to either the homepage or the error I described earlier.
                Last edited by Nina; 02-07-14, 02:03 PM.

Comment

And just now it also happened in the "I've a great idea for a Challenge" thread in the Fanart section. And I actually doubleposted for the first time. I hit the "post quick reply" button and after a while I got the "Do you want to Leave this page" question and answered yes... and it showed me my double post.

Comment

Thanks Stoney and Nina! Anything else you notice, post in here. And if anyone else is experiencing it, please answer any of the questions I have previously posted.

This thing is a puzzler. I'm going to wait awhile to see if I get any more answers before making changes with the current forum settings.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

I just posted in the A&F #4 thread and as I hit Post Quick Reply it asked me if I wanted to stay on the page or leave and warned that all changes would be lost. I opted to 'leave' anyway and it went to where my post had in fact been entered (if I had stayed on the page and reclicked to post I would expect that to have generated the double posting).

I had created the post in a word document earlier when I read the issue so it was just a case of copy/pasting the text and having a quick read through with minor edits, the whole thing couldn't have taken more than 3 minutes or so before I was clicking to post it.

Comment

OK I just went and looked at the post and it did double post it anyway, even though I didn't double click anything or opt to stay and then try to post again, which is what has caused the double posting before. I have left the double post up in case it helps.
                        Last edited by Stoney; 02-07-14, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Just thought I'd mention this because it is a bit different, this time when it asked me if I wanted to stay or leave the page I clicked to leave the page (because that is normally what results in just one post) and it reloaded instead with the message that the forum requires you to leave 30secs between posts. I just exited the page and checked and it had posted, once. [I was in the S3 best villain game thread]

Comment

How often do you get this message? Once out of how many posts? How many a day?

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

I've never noticed a reason or pattern. I didn't have it happen for probably a couple of weeks at all and then it started up again. It probably only happens once a day. It seems really random. I'll start making a note of when it does it to see if there is any logic in there somewhere. Plus, if I start doing that it is almost guaranteed to stop!!

Comment

OK, here are a few instances I noted. I can't see a pattern to it so I'm not sure it will help and I'm not going to keep noting them down. I have noticed now and then that other people have double posts pop up so I assume those are times the same things are happening to them but they don't notice to edit out the double (I saw Reddy had one in the Spike Into The Light thread today for example).

Also, as an aside, I am still finding the forum incredibly slow. It probably is taking on average 10secs or more to load each page and I have started getting into the habit of clicking and then doing something else and coming back to it. It is the only site I have this problem with. I'm pretty sure SlayAlive is the same software (the site structure looks the same) and it doesn't happen there.

Posting issues...
                                • 7th 14.10 - Spike Into The Light - selected 'leave page' - A double post appeared (edited one out).
                                • 10th 10.00 - The Big Farscape Watch - selected 'leave page' - Message said was a dulplicate. It had posted, but only once.
                                • 15th 13.10 - Spike Into The Light - selected 'stay on page' - Opened another window and checked, it had posted anyway.
                                • 17th 17.00 - The Season 10 Thread - selected 'leave page' - A double post appeared (edited one out).
                                • 18th 17.00 - The Big Farscape Watch - seized up message said internal server error unable complete request, eventually reloaded.
                                • 19th 02.00 - BtVS Rewatch S2 - selected 'leave page' - A double post (edited one out).
                                • 19th 20.15 - BtVS Rewatch review sign up - selected 'stay on page' - Opened another window and checked, it had posted anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X